Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitachi ZX 350 Forester

Hitachi ZX 350 Forester

I found these pictures on the Ritchie Bros Auction site. I thought Ford LT-9000 would especially enjoy them. I think they put these rigs together out in BC. Very nice, probably the nicest factory forest excavator in the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The fuel tank is actuly part of the counter weight its self.. They have big tanks on those machines. 400 litres +

The only thing they screwed up on is putting a crappy non link thumb on there. Other than that, they're excellent machines. High walker with double grousers and that massive counterweight/fuel tank is an added bonus. I can imagine how nice it must be to have that huge front window on the cab, probably see the whole lift cycle through the front. I imagine that's why they do that, right? Make the front window taller to see through the cycle so that you wouldn't need overhead glass/hatch that could break and fall on the operator or compromise strength? Maybe LT9000 knows.
    Last edited by CascadeScaper; 08-21-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    Pin it to win it

non link thumbs are most common here, or other wise known as "progressive thumb" I have only seen a few machines around this area with progressive thumbs. but I would love it if my machine had one!!

Is there ever a problem with the fuel getting too low and thus removing some of your counterweight or do they keep it pretty full?
    2001 Cat 420D with a bunch of goodies

1977 Gmc 6500 dump with 10ft plow

www.kawieriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cat420
    Is there ever a problem with the fuel getting too low and thus removing some of your counterweight or do they keep it pretty full?
    I've often wondered the same thing. At least its an option with the Deere/ Hitachi machines. I don't think Cat even offers those style feul tanks.
    Some guys run the regular counterweight with another feul tank mounted to the top of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think Cat offers the factory option counterweight fuel tank, but a company like HPF (Highline PortaFab out of Snohomish, WA) will do custom work for roadbuilders/log loaders. They build cab guards, hard doors, belly pans, just about anything a forestry machine should have, including progressive link thumbs
    Pin it to win it

Banned
    The Hitachi machines like that are usually built by Wajax they don't come from Hitachi like that. Brandt tractor builts the John Deeres the same.

That machine is a road builder and can be used as a hoe chucker. The forestry cab is tough those are lexan windows or some kind of high strength windows. The Forestry cab gives a little better view your not looking through bars with regular gaurding.

The machine has a standard counterweight the fuel tank just adds to the weight. You need the extra fuel when your working way off in a area where you don't want to walk the machine back to the road to a P/U truck with a slip tank.

Finnings (Cat dealer) used to build machines like the Hitachi untill Caterpillar America (Cat manufacturing plant) said we want to build forestry machines in house. Long story short the Cat forestry equipment isn't a big seller because they are not built for West Coast specs.

Finnings used to buy the parts and assemble the machines here in B.C. they used heavier undercarriage and completly beefed the machine up.

Deere/Hitachi and Komatsu are building forestry machines then Madill a B.C. company builds nothing but forestry machines.

Madills are very nice machines... they seem to be taking over the other manufactures... I dont know if thats because of quality or just better leasing options.. but everytime I head in to the bush with my grandfather (Road superentendent for all logging road on the lower half of the Island... 3 divisions) I see less and less of the other machines and more and more madills!!

Altho I have not seen anything for road building by Madill.. they have everything you need for forestry, well the logging end of it.

Feller Brunchers, Long Poles, Grapple Yarders, Processors, Hot Saws...

Pretty amazing to see them work... makes short work of it...

Banned
    Madill only makes forestry machines I don't think they are in the market to build excavators. They mainly build Yarders,Log Loaders and Bunchers/Tree processors.

www.madillequipment.com

Didnt I just say that?

Banned
    Brain fart

I got to compare a 3800 Madill compared to a Hitachi EX-300 both heal booms you could tell the Madill was better built it was also more expensive.

Madill uses heavy undercarriages under their machines and heavier parts in general.

For hoe chucking machines its pretty hard to beat a Madill healboom.

madill has some neat videos of their stuff in action for anyone thats never seen this type of equipment at work.

they are after all made specificly for BC forestry

The forestry machines that Komatsu are building right now are really unimpressive. They might be a nice excavator but they don't seem to be built for the woods very well. In my opinion every forest excavator should be built to BC/ Pacific Northwest specs. if it can work and hold up there then it can probably work just about anywhere else with ease.
    Finnings (Cat dealer) used to build machines like the Hitachi untill Caterpillar America (Cat manufacturing plant) said we want to build forestry machines in house. Long story short the Cat forestry equipment isn't a big seller because they are not built for West Coast specs.
    I'm really starting to get tired of Cat's "we know best" policy. They've got these guys from the southern states trying to build forest excavators for the PNW but they don't seem to want to listen to people from that area. No wonder Deere and Hitachi are getting all their sales. You look at that Hitachi 350. You couldn't ask for much more on that thing. Cat is really shooting themselves in the foot with this one. Excavators are the main piece of gear on your site now(roadbuilders, processors, log loaders) . If everyone in the woods is running Deere excavators and having good luck with them then they'll probably start running other deere stuff like dozers, bunchers, skidders, etc. Cat seems to have this "our sh*t don't stink" attitude.
    I think part of the new Deere/ Hitachi deal has Deere putting together Hitachi's forest machines in the Deere plant in BC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast