Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: 3306 Cat engine

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    3306 Cat engine

    I just bought a truck with a 3306 engine and it has low getup power with a load. Engine starts and runs great on these cold days, it does white smoke when its cold, but it clears up when warm. I might be looking for a fuel injection pump for a 3306, they are telling me, mine might be worn excessively causing low power. I was hoping to find someone with a bad engine and get the pump off of it.They are checking other things as we speak. I only have 5-10 lbs of boost pressure
    aneriold disc has been changed, but it was OK
    air cooler system pressure checked OK
    Turbo appears to be OK
    new filters, 45-50 psi fuel pressure
    Ive got the mechanics scratching their butts so far
    I usually have a lot to offer on these problems, but its got me stumped also
    The engine doesnt smoke at all when warmed up and without a load it runs OK for a 3306. I have another truck with the same setup and it will run circles around this one when loaded. One other thing and it may not be nothing, it just seems like it takes longer for the engine to decelerate, when changing gears and the engine was painted when I got it and the exhaust manifold is a pink color, not the normal rust color. Im wondering if the engine exhaust is getting too hot, or not hot enough? It wasnt painted pink, its just the color now
    Last edited by Willis Bushogin; 02-03-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    87
    Willis, wasn't there a post on here a while back about sometype of exhaust blockage. Something like a baffle was blocking muffler and causing low power. Normal checks of turbo and fuel systems were ok but under load truck was lakiing performance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    3306

    Quote Originally Posted by dist3 View Post
    Willis, wasn't there a post on here a while back about sometype of exhaust blockage. Something like a baffle was blocking muffler and causing low power. Normal checks of turbo and fuel systems were ok but under load truck was lakiing performance.
    Someone else told me about a muffler problem they had. I told one of the shops about this and I think he said the truck would black smoke, with a blocked muffler. I do intend to take the exhaust away from the engine and try it, if they dont find something tomorrow.
    Thanks and keep them coming

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2stickbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Romayor Texas
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Willis Bushogin View Post
    Someone else told me about a muffler problem they had. I told one of the shops about this and I think he said the truck would black smoke, with a blocked muffler. I do intend to take the exhaust away from the engine and try it, if they dont find something tomorrow.
    Thanks and keep them coming
    I don't have any shop time on the 3306 but Cat pumps last a long time.First thing I would check after trying a straight pipe is make sure return fuel line is open.Then check Injectors.I know somebody pulled the head off a Cat engine with the Injectors still in and messed the tips up.If this engine has the waste gated turbo make sure that working.Seen one stick causing low powere and boost.Not sure if your's has one though.
    Cat,5X4 and a good cigar now we're hauling
    And my overload permit starts after sunset.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    3306

    Quote Originally Posted by 2stickbill View Post
    I don't have any shop time on the 3306 but Cat pumps last a long time.First thing I would check after trying a straight pipe is make sure return fuel line is open.Then check Injectors.I know somebody pulled the head off a Cat engine with the Injectors still in and messed the tips up.If this engine has the waste gated turbo make sure that working.Seen one stick causing low powere and boost.Not sure if your's has one though.
    How do you check the wastegate, it does have one?

  6. #6
    Probationary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2
    sounds like that turbos wore out... shoud be makin 35-40 psi boost.... also check all you boost tubes and the rubber house and ALL the clamps... they might look ok sitting there ideling.. but when its under boost they will be leaking... also that pink manifold is ok..

    just my .02 cents.... and thats about all its worth

  7. #7
    Senior Member Cmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    561
    Hi

    What's the "aneriold disc"? The air/fuel ratio diaphraghm maybe?

    I'm guessing it is a DI engine with a scroll fuel pump? If so and if all the basic stuff checks out, which it sounds like it does, at high hours these can wear out the camshaft in the FIP and give the sympoms you've got.

    A symptom of FIP camshaft wear is an engine that stalls at idle. Take a look at the low-idle adjustment screw. If it looks like it's been tampered with then a previous owner may have been trying to disguise the problem by screwing it in.

    Worn injection pumps due to contaminated fuel could also be a cause.

    Get your mechanic to check the FLS and FTS settings. If these are OK and boost pressure is still low then the pump's probably due for a rebuild. You can install new injection pumps in situ, but if the engine has high hours it probably isn't worth it due to the possibility of camshaft problems mentioned above.

    If you can give the serial and/or arrangement number, I can tell you how much boost you should have.

    Good luck.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    3306

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmark View Post
    Hi

    What's the "aneriold disc"? The air/fuel ratio diaphraghm maybe?

    I'm guessing it is a DI engine with a scroll fuel pump? If so and if all the basic stuff checks out, which it sounds like it does, at high hours these can wear out the camshaft in the FIP and give the sympoms you've got.

    A symptom of FIP camshaft wear is an engine that stalls at idle. Take a look at the low-idle adjustment screw. If it looks like it's been tampered with then a previous owner may have been trying to disguise the problem by screwing it in.

    Worn injection pumps due to contaminated fuel could also be a cause.

    Get your mechanic to check the FLS and FTS settings. If these are OK and boost pressure is still low then the pump's probably due for a rebuild. You can install new injection pumps in situ, but if the engine has high hours it probably isn't worth it due to the possibility of camshaft problems mentioned above.

    If you can give the serial and/or arrangement number, I can tell you how much boost you should have.

    Good luck.
    3306 D
    7RJ02960
    1045314 Mangement number
    Well I just heard from the third shop I put it in and they are saying they need to pull the pump and have it tested and or rebuilt and or a turbo.
    I told them to put it back together, boy these shops can really rip you off. This shop was supposed to have a good fuel injection person working there and thats the reason I took it there, but they sent him out on a service call and let Mo Larry and Curly look at my truck and charge me $95 per hour
    Im picking it up and taking it to a guy that retired from Cat. I just found out about him
    Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    561
    Boost should be around 20psi.

    Oh, and there is no 3306D, it's a 3306C

    Good luck
    Last edited by Cmark; 02-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    I'm where ever my Kid's need Me
    Posts
    1,114
    The one in the truck i drive daily (3306) will push the gauge to 20 lbs

  11. #11
    Member Deerehauler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Nebraska
    Posts
    78
    I had turbo trouble with the C-12 I drive. It would only make about 10 psi boost and would not pull the hat off your head. Since this is an electonic engine, I had Cat hook up their laptop to it and check everything out--everything checked good. We then looked at the exhaust side of the turbo and noticed that the turbine blades were a long distance from the housing. The exhaust manifolds were eroding from the inside and the metal from the manifolds was eating the ends of the blades on the turbine blades. The most noticable internal manifold erosion I saw was on the 'dividing wall' between the front and rear ports. I replaced the complete exhaust manifold and the turbo and now I have plenty of boost and horsepower.

  12. #12
    Administrator Squizzy246B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,388
    I'd be loathe to proceed until the injectors were tested. I've seen low power many times on these engines with worn injectors.
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

    Squizzy


    _____________________________________________

    Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

  13. #13
    Senior Member Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    I'm where ever my Kid's need Me
    Posts
    1,114
    Just remembered,have had two trucks that the ATAAC cracked along the ends and was leaking boost pressure away.Any whistling or hissing under acceleration?

    (Air to air after cooler)
    Last edited by Tiny; 02-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    855

    3306

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Just remembered,have had two trucks that the ATAAC cracked along the ends and was leaking boost pressure away.Any whistling or hissing under acceleration?

    (Air to air after cooler)
    No noticeable noise, also he tested the whole system and it didnt leak down
    We are still scratching our Butts over this one, but we havent gave up yet. Im sure (I hope) it will be something simple.

  15. #15
    Senior Member 2stickbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Romayor Texas
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by Willis Bushogin View Post
    No noticeable noise, also he tested the whole system and it didnt leak down
    We are still scratching our Butts over this one, but we havent gave up yet. Im sure (I hope) it will be something simple.
    Before I would pull the pump I would check the injectors.If the pump has to be rebuilt you will know that you have good injectors.
    Cat,5X4 and a good cigar now we're hauling
    And my overload permit starts after sunset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •