Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coal Chute

Coal Chute

I had a coal chute built in my tailgate this time to try and cut down on the number of times I have to "touch" materials. Tried it out with 3/4 stone and it worked OK except for trying to close it between bucketfuls. The track that the door rides in is pretty loose and gets full of stone as the stone runs out. That makes it hard to close the door down and stop the flow. At the job site not to big a deal, but it would be nice to get the door down tight for the trip home and not worry about buying a windshield for the guy tailgating me.

I was thinking of adding some heavy rubber "gasket" type of thing on each side of the inside of the opening. Wide enough that when the door went up the gasket would fold back and cover the track and as the door comes down it would (hopefully) push the gasket back flat against the inside of the door.

Has anybody already invented this wheel?

I can try to take/draw pictures if it'll help explain.

Thanks

Some pics would be good, but a door/gate that comes up from the bottom is better than one that comes down from the top if you know what I mean.
    Regards from the Scrub somewhere near Karratha, Western Australia

Squizzy

Its better to be ignorant and ask a Stupid Question than to be plain Dumb and not ask at all - Screamed by High School Maths Teacher, 1979

Not that this addresses the question, but concerning coal chutes...

A guy I once worked for had his trucks set up with three coal chutes--left right and center. He explained to me that when doing work along the shoulder of a road, he'd dump his aggregate in a windrow right along the edge of the pavement, and then just push it into the hole with the backhoe. That saved a lot of running back and forth to a stockpile somwhere.

Ok, back to the topic...

"Alright Mr. Digger! If you're QUITE DONE, we can continue!!" (imagine that in you're favorite nun voice)

Here's the coal chute closed:
    Name:  DSCN0784 (Small).JPG
Views: 1054
Size:  31.5 KB
    Coal Chute open:
    Track is about 3/4" wide and fills with rock/junk and blocks the door from closing down
    Name:  DSCN0783 (Small).JPG
Views: 801
Size:  33.3 KB
    I'm thinking of attaching a strip of "gasket" down the inside, behind/against the door so that when it goes up the gasket folds back flat against the side of the opening, covering the track and keeping the junk out. As the door comes down the strip would be forced back in and the track would be clear - hopefully. I was thinking of maybe using some conveyor material or something tough like that.
    Name:  gasket (Small) .jpg
Views: 756
Size:  95.6 KB
    Think it'll fly?

When I had a truck with a coal chute the bottom rail under the tracks was open, this would allow any materials large enough to fit into the track to either fall through or be forced through by closing the door. Never really had any closing problems./
    Jesse Fry
    Property Maintenance
    Special Services
    Brookfield, CT
    www.jessefrymaintenance.com

Hard work does not scare us!

Experience cannot replace Education.
    Education cannot replace Experience.

"Alright Mr. Digger! If you're QUITE DONE, we can continue!!"
    Better be careful--All I have to do is say the word "Gecko" and me and the other class clowns will have you scrolling back three pages looking for the last mention of a coal chute...

til then...

I don't think your gasket has to fold all the way back, flat over the grooves--actually, I think that would be just as much of a problem, as the door would have to force it back, and it just seems like it would offer too much resistance to make it worth the trouble. However, if your gasket material was stiff enough that it bent back just partway--enough to shield the groove but not necessarily cover it, I think that would be enough. Also, the material would be stiff enough then that it would want to bend back out of the way on its own, as opposed to the door actually having to push it back.

Banned
    The doors in tail gates are mainly for asphalt work I don't think anybody around here uses them for anything else its why they are called pavement gates.

I don't think there is much you can do to cure the problem.

I've had that problem with my chute too and I think the solution is to cut openings for the debris to fall away as has been mentioned. I'm not convinced your idea will work, and I'm willing to bet it will be more difficult to clean the slots with your gasket in place.

Related but not directly, I also would have problems just closing through any material larger then say 1". Chutes are mainly for sand, processed and such I guess.

We tried loading wheelbarrows with River Round once and found it too hard to control the flow.
    Jesse Fry
    Property Maintenance
    Special Services
    Brookfield, CT
    www.jessefrymaintenance.com

Hard work does not scare us!

Experience cannot replace Education.
    Education cannot replace Experience.

The holes at the rail bottom make sense.
    I'm not explaining the gasket thing right, it's really more of a deflector, like Digger was saying. It would get attached 90 degrees to the door and be wide enough that when the door is closed the strip is folded and resting against it maybe 3". As the door goes up the strip would spring back across the gap. As the door comes back down it would refold the strip.
    I'm sure that it would be more trouble than it's worth, but if I get slack this winter - lookout coal door!

Just to hijack my own thread - Digger, something similar to the windrow. One summer a company I worked for did a bunch of asphalt curbing, the best rig up we found to feed the little hand curbing machine was to put the salt auger on the back and feed the hot mix out like salt to a spinner. Worked pretty well.

Orchard, how about if you did something like this. Remove a triangle of steel from the lower corners of the door, and weld a similiar size triangle of metal in the tracks on both sides.

This would force the dirt/gravel to exit the tracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff D.
    Orchard, how about if you did something like this. Remove a triangle of steel from the lower corners of the door, and weld a similiar size triangle of metal in the tracks on both sides.

This would force the dirt/gravel to exit the tracks.
    Hmmm... That has some merit too.... plus it uses the welder and torch, another 2 points in its favor...

Quote Originally Posted by Orchard Ex
    ... plus it uses the welder and torch,
    AND a can of blue rustolium!!

It looks like it would be hard to remove the door though. It appears that the door is too tall to slip out of the tracks without removing those linkage pivots above it.

You could add a lever to the linkage for leverage and cut the bottom of the door slides so the dirt will fall free. ( I think that is what others have sugested.)

I'm not explaining the gasket thing right, it's really more of a deflector, like Digger was saying. It would get attached 90 degrees to the door and be wide enough that when the door is closed the strip is folded and resting against it maybe 3". As the door goes up the strip would spring back across the gap. As the door comes back down it would refold the strip.
    Now see, the way I envisioned it, the strip is flat against the insdie of the dooe when the door is closed, and when you open the door the material pushes the strip and it bends to cover the groove. Once the material runs out, or the door is closed. the strip bends back to its original position

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast