Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird Yarders, Loaders, and Etc from the Murray's in Eugene Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray63 View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the update. I tried sending you a pm but the system wouldn't allow me to do it for some unknown reason.

Aloha, Stingray
    Just sent you a PM about the T-Birds for sale.

Contract Logger I'm amazed by all of your pictures of logging equipment. It's a shame that those towers are not used much anymore. I would like to have gotten my hands on that one. Keep the pics coming!

Aloha, Stingray
    Well, I have been in the NW woods taking equipment pics for nearly 40 years now, so I have a few pics, yes.

I used to be on a yarder landing East of Snoqualmie Falls, WA by 6 am, swing through Vail (had shovels working there usually), then wrap the day up with dinner at Tillamook Ore, before driving home for bed to do it again. Long days, lots of miles, but that's the gig, right? Many days I would fuel the pickup up twice or more.

There are more of those old yarders still working than you think. Actually, lots more.
    Let's hope that keeps up!
    Last edited by Contract Logger; 05-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9044

Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9044 was built, according to the tag, on 6-29-1985. It was a TY-90 SP (Self-Propelled) but the tag does not show that. This machine was mounted to a Skagit T-100 HD SP Carrier, and had 7 Guylines, pretty standard for the T-100.

What was not standard on this carrier was the steering axles- most of the Skagit T-90 and T-100 machines used Schuller steering axles with super-single float tires on wheels with a Budd 10-hole hub.

This particular machine had the big Anderson-Bolling axles installed- the axles used under the T-110 and T-110HD Skagit SP units. These used Dayton-style hubs and dual tires- bigger, heavier, and much more reliable. Each wheel/tire ran on its own bearings which allowed 2 dual tires side-by-side to rotate at different speeds- a huge deal on the big heavy yarders such as a BU-98, BU-99, or BU-199. Especially when turning sharp corners- the weight on the dual combo would be to much to allow scuffing and wheel studs would shear right off prior to this. This became a popular conversion for Skagit T-100 SP owners with bigger hoists such as the 739's.

Oops. That whole paragraph belongs in the Skagit thread! Oh, well.

Anyway, Sapp Brothers of Alsea Oregon bought her new, and ran it until 2000 or so when Phoenix Logging brought it to Craig, Alaska, where it sits today.

This machine is one I see often, so I have alot of pics of it the last 3 years or so.

It was on the Thunderbird TY-90 Brochure cover through the 80's and 90's.

This machine is currently for sale. She needs some TLC and trans work.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

A few more pics of 9044, where she sits today. I'll post more detail of this machine since I have it handy and already digital. I love non-scanning pics!

TY-90 #9044, last round, unless someone wants more for some reason.

The last pic is of a set of the Anderson-Bolling steering axles (loose, bottom of the scrap pile) and you can see the lug nuts on 2 seperate and un-attached hubs I was takling about earlier.

Also parked in Craig is this TMY-45 on 3-axle Self-Propelled. It has some kind of engine trouble I was told. Has been sitting idle a long time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Logger View Post
    A few more pics of 9044, where she sits today. I'll post more detail of this machine since I have it handy and already digital. I love non-scanning pics!
    This is the one from the front page of the sales brochure, isn't it? What a nice machine, but of course it should have earned some new paint. Look at Deans Mt. logging 099, it still look almost like new, so maybe Mr W. or Madill had a better paint than Mr M? By the way, I'll post some video of that machine (099) working later today!
    Last edited by TorkelH; 05-26-2010 at 05:03 AM.

Well, I have been in the NW woods taking equipment pics for nearly 40 years now, so I have a few pics, yes.

I used to be on a yarder landing East of Snoqualmie Falls, WA by 6 am, swing through Vail (had shovels working there usually), then wrap the day up with dinner at Tillamook Ore, before driving home for bed to do it again. Long days, lots of miles, but that's the gig, right? Many days I would fuel the pickup up twice or more.

There are more of those old yarders still working than you think. Actually, lots more.
    Let's hope that keeps up!
    Yes, you're right! I agree with you 100 percent. I hope to aquire a few of those old yarders for my company in the near future. Contract Logger, what does the TY 90 weigh in the pictures you have posted, and that is for sale? And can the tower be moved in one piece on the highway legally? Thank you for the info.

Aloha, Stingray

Yes, you're right! I agree with you 100 percent. I hope to aquire a few of those old yarders for my company in the near future. Contract Logger, what does the TY 90 weigh in the pictures you have posted, and that is for sale? And can the tower be moved in one piece on the highway legally? Thank you for the info.

Aloha, Stingray
    I just looked around on the net and in just a couple of minutes I found 32 Thunderbird yarders currently for sale. Most of them are for sale by owners and currently working. You should ask to run one for 1/2 day prior to purchase. A serious seller won't mind this a bit. If he does, then run.

If you have ever moved a Skagit 737, 739, or equivalent yarder, this machine moves just like all of them. Same requirements. As it sits, my guess is it weighs at 145,000 lbs or there abouts.

What are you yarding with now? You ask questions that make me nervous for you.

Anyone can move this over the highway, that's the easy part. You'll need a service truck while moving it always, for the cab swings and steer tire swings. There is no gooseneck with this one, You would need that as well. Other than that, your mover will bring the jeep and booster with axles required for your county/area. Shermann Brothers can move it anywhere in Oregon you need, but ask for Pat as the driver. He move these alot.

To move it in the brush, and to log with it you'll need at least 2 dozers- at least one D8 size machine (2 is better), for tailhold and guyline work. If you try to road this between landings or settings without Cat assistance you'll blow planetaries all day long- people do it but it isnt the right way. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, right?

There is a Madill 009 for sale in Castle Rock WA for $ 18,000.00 on a Skagit T-100 trailer that would be an excellent starter machine if that's what you're after. You'll still have to have a D8 & dolly for moving it though. It makes for a much easier move than the TY-90's.

This is a TY-90 (on Skagit T-90 Trlr) that was built early on and sold new to Griffey Logging in Oregon around 1986. I have the S/N around here someplace.....cant find it.
    Things didn't work out and Ross had the yarder back by 1989, so it was repainted and sold to Jensen and Grove of Woodland WA that same year. J&G used it on Elk Mountain for Weyerhaeuser for the next 3 years or so straight, never moved off that hill. I took pics of it there on Elk Mountain in 1990 on a setting directly above Coweeman Lake- and got some fantastic pics showing both lake and yarder above- trouble is I cannot find them right this second. Loading on that landing was a Link-Belt LS98TL line machine (wood was big) and that newer yarder sure looked funny with the old shovel loading.

Herb Jensen and Rollie Grove decided in 1992 that they were done logging, and this machine was sold to Hamilton Logging and worked on the Olympic Peninsula for Hamilton, along with a second TY-90 they owned.

Hamilton slowed down a bit in the mid 90's, and Randy Wallace of Toledo bought the machine for dredging rock in a pit near the Cowlitz River. I believe the machine is still there, and for sale. JeremyM70 has all that contact info.

First 2 pics taken in 1989 at Jensen & Grove shop, before they used it.
    Next 3 taken at Wallace in Toledo in 2006.

This is a TY-90 (on Skagit T-90 Trlr) that was built early on and sold new to Griffey Logging in Oregon around 1986. I have the S/N around here someplace.....cant find it.
    Things didn't work out and Ross had the yarder back by 1989, so it was repainted and sold to Jensen and Grove of Woodland WA that same year. J&G used it on Elk Mountain for Weyerhaeuser for the next 3 years or so straight, never moved off that hill. I took pics of it there on Elk Mountain in 1990 on a setting directly above Coweeman Lake- and got some fantastic pics showing both lake and yarder above- trouble is I cannot find them right this second. Loading on that landing was a Link-Belt LS98TL line machine (wood was big) and that newer yarder sure looked funny with the old shovel loading.

Herb Jensen and Rollie Grove decided in 1992 that they were done logging, and this machine was sold to Hamilton Logging and worked on the Olympic Peninsula for Hamilton, along with a second TY-90 they owned.

Hamilton slowed down a bit in the mid 90's, and Randy Wallace of Toledo bought the machine for dredging rock in a pit near the Cowlitz River. I believe the machine is still there, and for sale. JeremyM70 has all that contact info.

First 2 pics taken in 1989 at Jensen & Grove shop, before they used it.
    Next 3 taken at Wallace in Toledo in 2006.
    I'd love to see pictures of the Elk Mt landing, about 15 years ago I spent a bit of time packing batteries, antennas, and repeaters up the rocky path up to the top of that mountain. Wish I could find my pictures, awesome view from up there. I have a picture of the serial # tag from this TY-90, but it's from a crappy camera phone and I can't quite read it. Cool history, my old neighbor was a mechanic for Jensen and Grove back in the 80's.

Wallace has a TY80, the TY90 and a BU739 for sale and I do have his contact info if needed. He is currently running a Madill 171. I got a picture of it from a distance, but no close ups as it was dredging.
    Last edited by JeremyM70; 05-27-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyM70 View Post
    I'd love to see pictures of the Elk Mt landing, about 15 years ago I spent a bit of time packing batteries, antennas, and repeaters up the rocky path up to the top of that mountain. Wish I could find my pictures, awesome view from up there. I have a picture of the serial # tag from this TY-90, but it's from a crappy camera phone and I can't quite read it. Cool history, my old neighbor was a mechanic for Jensen and Grove back in the 80's.

Wallace has a TY80, the TY90 and a BU739 for sale and I do have his contact info if needed. He is currently running a Madill 171. I got a picture of it from a distance, but no close ups as it was dredging.
    I have a bunch of pics from Elk Mountain. I had a crew working there in 1993/94, and Dahlgren's from Forks were in there too, right near us and working for the same outfit. I spent alot of time around there for a couple of years.

I have all of the original Thunderbird build lists, in Longview at my home there. Coming up with all that info (and the Elk Mtn pics) just means a quick trip down there.

The Wallace yarders:

Skagit BU739 was bought new by Dan Sandy of Rochester Wa, and sold by DaPaul Inc (one of Dan Sandy's companies) to Wallace in 1994. McPaul Machine shortened the tower from 110' down to 70' for dredging.

Thunderbird TY-80 (a highlead 80, not slackline) built new for Weyerhaeuser Raymond WA and purchased by Wallace in 2003.

Thunderbird TY-90, well you know the history (see above).

Madill 171 is new to Wallace, but no doubt a machine we have pics of already.

I have alot of Jensen & Grove and Ben Thomas pics in a box in Longview too.

Stay tuned, I'll scan another round of T-Bird pics this weekend I suppose.
    Did I mention I hate scanning?

Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9069.

Thunderbird TY-90 S/N 9069.

Built new for MacMillan Bloedel and delivered 5-6-1991 to MB at Sayward BC, according to the Thunderbird build records. Sent to BC as the loose hoist only, it was mounted onto a Skagit T-100 SP carrier that had been rebuilt in the MacBlo shops.

This machine was painted MB colors in the Ross shops (MB purchased several Thunderbird machines, and most were painted MB colors new at the factory).

Due to the downhill-style logging on BC, this yarder was also equipped with a larger eaton water brake on the haulback drum for downhill snubbing. It was the only TY-90 built set up like this.

In 1999, the yarder was purchased by Jerry DeBriae at Cathlamet Wa, moved from BC to McPaul Machine in Chehalis WA where it was serviced as needed and painted the tan TB colors.

It is still in service with DeBriae Logging.

Pics 1 and 2: In Chehalis, waiting for service work and paint.
    Pics 3-5: At rest at the old Crown Zellerbach Cathlamet shops, which are currently occupied by Debriae Logging.

Same machine again, TY-90 S/N 9069.

Different angles.

Same machine again, TY-90 S/N 9069.

Different angles.
    More pictures of it at rest last year at DeBriae's yard along with some of it's brothers and sisters

Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast