Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Chaining down Excavator Properly

  1. #1
    Member gabelmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    35

    Chaining down Excavator Properly

    Hey Guys, I live in Ontario and I have 5 tonn mini excavator and I was wondering if anyone else in Ontario has one and what is the proper way of chaining it down. I just have a tandom trailer that i pull behind my pick-up.Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    Gabel Mini Excavating & Skid Steer Service LTD
    2009 Cat 305CCR,2010 Cat 289C,2006 Dodge Cummins,1993 Volvo Dump truck

  2. #2
    Member adv.wastewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Blount County Alabama
    Posts
    64
    You have the excavator I want! I am waiting until next spring to buy mine though. I have a 7,500 lb machine now. Anyways, I run a chain over the blade and under the arms that connect the blade to the machine than back over the blade to my trailer. (kind of worded confusing) than on the oposite end of the machine of the blade my machine has a chaining eye that I run a chain through. Not sure if the 305 has that. If not you can lay your boom down and put a chain over your bucket. You want to endup with a chain holding the machine from going forward, and a chain holding the machine from coming back. And when the chains are tight obviously they will prevent the machine from going sideways. How do you like your machine so far? What size bucket are you using and what do you mainly use it for?

  3. #3
    Senior Member heavylift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    1,045
    it should have labels on it... green with a hook...

    most of the time when it moved around on big plant jobs... it's one chain across the blade...

    But DOT likes enough chains and boomers that it outweighs the load your hauling..

  4. #4
    Member gabelmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by adv.wastewater View Post
    You have the excavator I want! I am waiting until next spring to buy mine though. I have a 7,500 lb machine now. Anyways, I run a chain over the blade and under the arms that connect the blade to the machine than back over the blade to my trailer. (kind of worded confusing) than on the oposite end of the machine of the blade my machine has a chaining eye that I run a chain through. Not sure if the 305 has that. If not you can lay your boom down and put a chain over your bucket. You want to endup with a chain holding the machine from going forward, and a chain holding the machine from coming back. And when the chains are tight obviously they will prevent the machine from going sideways. How do you like your machine so far? What size bucket are you using and what do you mainly use it for?
    I love the new machine.Just got it back yesturday from Cat, they were putting my new hyd. pin grabber on it.I have a 62" ditching bucket,24" tooth a 16" tooth and a 48" hyd tilt bucket for it. Mainly I use it for utility trenching. The odd drive way, I have a post hole auger for it too so I get the odd job for it too.
    Gabel Mini Excavating & Skid Steer Service LTD
    2009 Cat 305CCR,2010 Cat 289C,2006 Dodge Cummins,1993 Volvo Dump truck

  5. #5
    Senior Member insleyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Monroe Michigan
    Posts
    191
    Mdot requires a chain (seperate chain mind you) on each corner of a machine. Plus one on each implament. So on a mini that is 6. The 4 corners, with a seperate binder. Then one on the blade and one on the bucket. I got a 300 dollar ticket few years ago for only 4 chains on a case 580 backhoe. Each US State has different interpretations, so you may want to check Ontario law gabelmatt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member -NICK-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    180
    Well not quite a excavator but Ive been chaining down like this for a while now.Keep hearing a about chp dot not wanting or allowing chains on tracks and I have got enough tickets in the last few years for stuff that I had to fight.So this seems to be the way to make everybody happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  7. #7
    Senior Member -NICK-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    180
    Well not quite a excavator but Ive been chaining down like this for a while now.Keep hearing a about chp dot not wanting or allowing chains on tracks and I have got enough tickets in the last few years for stuff that I had to fight.So this seems to be the way to make everybody happy.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    midland, ontario
    Posts
    30
    In Ontario the laws state under 10,000 lbs only 2 chains are required. however an additional chain is required for every 10 feet in excess of 10 feet. Also a separate chain is required for every attachment.

    One chain to rear, one on front and the bucket must be placed on the deck and be chained separately.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Vantage_TeS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by -NICK- View Post
    Well not quite a excavator but Ive been chaining down like this for a while now.Keep hearing a about chp dot not wanting or allowing chains on tracks and I have got enough tickets in the last few years for stuff that I had to fight.So this seems to be the way to make everybody happy.
    Well that's sort of silly, the load of the chain is still applied to the track chaining like that. If the hook could bend or rip a pad off then so could the side pressure on that chain!

    But as we all know trying to tell THEM that is about the same as this:
    385C LME
    850D LC
    385C L Powerstripe
    2500 Ram 5.7L Hemi

  10. #10
    Junior Member Corona Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    12
    I got checked by the Boys at the NB 15 Cajon scales with a Volvo EC460 on the 7 , 2 15k Binders on each corner (to the track pads) 1 across the stick . "looks Good, Have a Nice Day"

  11. #11
    Senior Member -NICK-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    california
    Posts
    180
    Its just too bad they all can't agree on what makes them happy.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Corona Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by -NICK- View Post
    Its just too bad they all can't agree on what makes them happy.
    Yeah...Different Scale=Different Rules

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    376
    I have seen lots of big excavators cross chained front and rear from the pads down to the deck, wouldn't work too well for a rubber tracked mini-x though.

    I like the way Nick does it, seems to be superior to depending on the pad bolts which have had their heads skidded over rock etc, or even the pad itself which may have a crack in it and is ready to break off.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lee,NH
    Posts
    147
    I have 3 excavators, a 311 CU, 307, and just bough a 305C CR. I quizzed the cat salesman on how to chain down the 305. Cat has a sticker on the front of the machine explaining how to do it. It is not in compliance with the DOT's rules, I have been pulled over 7 times concerning chaining equipment down. The last time I laid into the officer verbally, have not been pulled over since.
    Getting back to the 305. Cat recommends chaining to the ends of the blade and to the hole in the center frame. This does not meet DOT standards since you are chaining to an implement. You cannot chain to a rubber track and I also disagree about chaining to a steel track pad. It is not what I consider the Frame.
    BTW, I asked the cat salesman to find out about how to chain down the 305 so it meets DOT standards. He still has not gotten back to me!
    Last edited by bigbob; 08-29-2010 at 07:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member cummins05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    I have 3 excavators, a 311 CU, 307, and just bough a 305C CR. I quizzed the cat salesman on how to chain down the 305. Cat has a sticker on the front of the machine explaining how to do it. It is not in compliance with the DOT's rules, I have been pulled over 7 times concerning chaining equipment down. The last time I laid into the officer verbally, have not been pulled over since.
    Getting back to the 305. Cat recommends chaining to the ends of the blade and to the hole in the center frame. This does not meet DOT standards since you are chaining to an implement. You cannot chain to a rubber track and I also disagree about chaining to a steel track pad. It is not what I consider the Frame.
    BTW, I asked the cat salesman to find out about how to chain down the 305 so it meets DOT standards. He still has not gotten back to me!
    I would imagine the Cat salesman does not want the liability of telling you how to chain down your load to DOT standards.

    What I did was took a picture of my truck with two skid steer loader's and one small mini ex on the trailer.
    Took that to the weigh scale and asked them to write out how by the book how to secure every machine bucket sweeper shovel and broom on the unit.

    To my surprise they did might work for you.

    I also saved myself a ticket turns out the spread on the unit was to close and I had to rent a longer trailer to run into BC
    Consultant and buying equipment again 872GP HSD
    D6N D5H Hitachi 230 JD450 KW tri drive and aspen triaxle with jeep. More to come as winter starts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •