Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Champion Grader

thansk motor grader. the champion grader is very popular in the great white north with about 20 machines in the area where i live but not all in working order. the detroit engine is the most popular engine that is in the machines. the champion is easy to work on and has no computers that will shut the machine down. i did 31 hours straight last week plowing snow and then check the 740 over in the shop. the machine has to be ready for when we get the call from the highways department saying the computer is acting up again on the fancy new machine.with the help of the BB, we have made numerous improvements to the machine to make it better.

also $1500.00 cnd money for 2 tire chains came to today for the 740 champion. now with these diamond pattern chains i can climb those hills now, LOL

thansk
    KoO
    Published Author
    Marketing my lifestyle in the Great White North
    www.kingofobsolete.ca
    www.cattraintours.ca
    card carrying member of the Writer's Guild

antique champion graders

we recently purchased a very old 600 series Champion grader (without a manual) with a 671 Detroit diesel. I beleive it is a 1960's vintage. It runs very well still however we are now encountering some steering problems. It has a Sheppard steering box Model 514 I beleive, which we are having trouble finding any info on. THe grader has trouble steering to the right - to the left is not a problem. ANy sugguestions on what might be the cause or any info on a website that we can trouble shoot the the inner workings of the Sheppard sterring box?
    Thanks
    Coltur

antique champion graders

we recently purchased a very old 600 series Champion grader (without a manual) with a 671 Detroit diesel. I beleive it is a 1960's vintage. It runs very well still however we are now encountering some steering problems. It has a Sheppard steering box Model 514 I beleive, which we are having trouble finding any info on. THe grader has trouble steering to the right - to the left is not a problem. ANy sugguestions on what might be the cause or any info on a website that we can trouble shoot the the inner workings of the Sheppard sterring box?
    Thanks
    Coltur

Coltur,
    You should try Jade Equipment - http://www.jadeequipment.com/pages/default.aspx

They are about the only people that have made it their business to keep these older Champion graders running.
    Bryan Abernathy
    Vice President
    Champion Motor Graders
    http://www.championmotorgraders.us

champion grader

thanks I will try Jade.
    Coltur

Hi all,I'm new to the forum .i would like to say i have imported a 726a 3 from the states to wales uk it had done 5000 hrs ex goverment .It was taken apart then put in a 40 ft container and shipped over (i have never done this before,my nerves were a jangling) but it turned up and 3 of us got to work puting it together which took one and a half days.
    It started first time (cummings) and everything looked good.the only thing not working was the front wheel drive (oh Sh** !!) ,we needed to get the machine to work so went off grading all was fine ,we were still trying to sort out the problem,yippee it was the switch on the brakes that had gone so would not turn the front drive on it took us a while to get the wireing diagrames but at leased we are now sorted the part cost 120 ouch .
    anyhow great machine love it,ihope it is reliable . Can anyone tell me what to look out for on the machine as in its weak spots.
    Thanks all great forum ,i will post some pics when allowed .

Quote Originally Posted by Motor Grader View Post
    Coltur,
    You should try Jade Equipment - http://www.jadeequipment.com/pages/default.aspx

They are about the only people that have made it their business to keep these older Champion graders running.
    In my dealings Jade has always been terribly expensive and service not always good. Whenever possible I deal CW Enterprises http://www.cwenterprises.ca/ or there was a wrecker I dealt with out of Ontario but the name slips me.

Probationary Member
    I recently bought a 700 Champion with a 6cyl detroit. Only has 1500 hours. It was used for mixing asphalt for a small state highway department district. They went to contractor supplied asphalt and idled the grader. Every hydraulic cylinder needs rebuilding, but it runs and operates great. We will start rebuilding it next month for sale. I have an old mechanical 112 Cat for grading my work.

Quote Originally Posted by coltur View Post
    Thanks
    Coltur
    I've got an old 562 with the sheppard box. THere's relief valves in the box. I had trouble with mine, figured out the pump was bad. Changed the pump last spring, wound up splitting the box wide open becuase someone had been messing with the relief valves trying ot "fix" it.
    Updated to cylinder steering like the newer ones. Used a 2 1/2" X 10" cylinder from Princess auto and a control valve off a massey 300 combine. Took about half a day to do. Works better than it ever did before, spent about 300 bucks and any idiot can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abscraperguy View Post
    In my dealings Jade has always been terribly expensive and service not always good. Whenever possible I deal CW Enterprises http://www.cwenterprises.ca/ or there was a wrecker I dealt with out of Ontario but the name slips me.
    Same experience here.
    Ty Hako-Oja, In beautiful Myrnam, Alberta, Canada

LOL you bought a champ with a Cummins LOL

I also agree jade is a expensive outfit to deal with I had an older gentlmen that I was working for and we wanted a newer second grader well we basicly gave up dealing with jade on the purchase and bought a 143 from cat with much less hassle for less money.

SO I think that says it all I just wish they could have been delt with Champ graders are my fav
    Consultant and buying equipment again 872GP HSD
    D6N D5H Hitachi 230 JD450 KW tri drive and aspen triaxle with jeep. More to come as winter starts.

There is lot's of Champion graders up here in New Brunswick too.
    The gov of New Brunswick run's lot's of them too.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by DEERE310SG View Post
    There is lot's of Champion graders up here in New Brunswick too.
    The gov of New Brunswick run's lot's of them too.

Kyle
    Yup..they sure do...
    HEF Junkie

I lived in Goderich for many yrs and have alot of friends whom were employed by Champion. I believe Champion started at the airport in Goderich, which now is home to Sky Harbour Aircraft Refinishing. The building in Goderich I believe has been sold to locale fabricator whom builds cabs for Hitachi. It was a shame to see Champion sell to Volvo, they built an exelent grader there. My company ProTek Sandblasting & Painting was started just outside of Goderich. I remember donating our services to the antique club. I believe it was a late 1800s horse drawn, donated to them by the Muskoka Airport. Definately some history there.

Bryan
    I remember when your family purchased the smaller grader line. You got a great machine, and there is alot of ppl whom are glad to know that the Champion name is still in the industry. I have a friend here in Ontario that owns one of your machines and he loves it.

Jade makes a lot of their own parts for Champions and in my experience they build them way to cheap, then they overcharge for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast