Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3176 engine

Cat 3176 engine

I am looking at buying a dump truck, with a Cat 3176 engine. My question is ONLY, how do this engines hold up.
    I know the story with the 3116 & 3126, just wondered if this was another junker engine. I dont have any problem with the power it has, it will do the work I need it to, but will this kind of engine hold up. It only has 125,000 miles
    Thanks for any reply

Willis, the trucking company I worked at had all three of those Cat engines in their "city " trucks-single axle day cabs. I liked the 3176, I think it was an "ok" engine, better than the other two. I can't remember any problems that occurred only to that engine, maybe someone else can weigh in, we did have a Cat recall on one of those engines, might have been the 3176-the recall was to replace the rear head bolt-they would break. Easy to replace-pull the dog box, it was the rear most head bolt-since it has been so long chances are the one you are looking at has been done. If it was me, I would not hesitate to buy it-assuming the rest of the truck is ok

thanks for the info

we run 3176 engines in our older cat underground scoop trams.

I think they are a 3176C, no real complains about them, seem to hold up well in a tough environment. As for problems, top of my head, 1 engine @ just over 10,000hrs had a cam go bad, oil pan gasket leaks now and then but that isn't major, odd injector needing to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Willis Bushogin View Post
    I am looking at buying a dump truck, with a Cat 3176 engine. My question is ONLY, how do this engines hold up.
    I know the story with the 3116 & 3126, just wondered if this was another junker engine. I dont have any problem with the power it has, it will do the work I need it to, but will this kind of engine hold up. It only has 125,000 miles
    Thanks for any reply
    Well I bought the truck today, got to do some painting, etc. The engine really runs good, no smoke, seems to have good power (or enough power)
    should have it ready to work in about a week.
    I will keep you posted of any engine problems

3176 dump truck KW

Well I bought the truck today, got to do some painting, etc. The engine really runs good, no smoke, seems to have good power (or enough power)
    should have it ready to work in about a week.
    I will keep you posted of any engine problems
    Made alot of progress, since last posted. A little history on the truck
    94 KW T800, tandem dump.
    The previous owner started building this truck about 2 years ago. It was a road tractor and he replaced the engine, with a used engine (105,000 miles) double framed the chassis, installed a walker beam rears, with double lockers and started installing a dump bed.
    What I did, in the last 5 days
    sanded, primed and painted the dump bed
    body work on the hood, little fiberglass work, primed and painted 2 coats
    painted cab
    installed hood and wiring
    hooked up air lines and valve to air tail gate
    installed new tires and brakes (got the parts with the truck)
    replaced heater core (what a job)
    hooked up A/C compressor and lines, flushed system and serviced. Its still kinda warm in our area
    Installing trailer hitch next, wiring to lights and new bumper, new seat, etc

Pictures to follow

3176 dump truck KW

Thanks for any reply
    pictures, if I can remember how to post them. Still work in progress, but Im getting there
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Willis, I think you are in the wrong business, the KW really looks good, could I talk you into painting my Mack?

94 kw

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bank View Post
    Willis, I think you are in the wrong business, the KW really looks good, could I talk you into painting my Mack?
    Bring it down to New Bern, be glad to do it. I think its going to look good, with all the chrome stuff installed. Its been crappy wx, here lately and didnt do much to the truck. New bumper should be here on Tuesday.

looks great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it. How much material will you be able to haul with that? With our weight laws in NY it wouldn't be much, we rarely see ten wheelers anymore, most straight trucks are tri-axles with a lift pusher.

94 kw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frazier View Post
    looks great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it. How much material will you be able to haul with that? With our weight laws in NY it wouldn't be much, we rarely see ten wheelers anymore, most straight trucks are tri-axles with a lift pusher.
    This is kinda a light weight truck, as dump trucks go. Im sure based on my other trucks, it will haul around 16 tons, on the other side of the truck, is a drop axle I am going to install, it should haul around 19 tons then, with that bridge law thingee. I have a 97 Ford L9000 Triaxle and it hauls 19-20 tons legal
    The KW has double locking rears, it should pull real good, off road, 466 rears

I know everyone has heard of the Wright Bros Memorial, in Kill Devil Hills, NC, its where they made one of the first airplane flights. I live about 4 hours from there and I just got a 3-4 months job hauling in the area. Work is slow, so ya, gotta do, what ya gotta do

3176 dump truck KW

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frazier View Post
    Almost finished, just some wiring, boards on the dump body, paint chassis. I had to rebuild the tailgate today, someone had hauled big boulders and crushed it in.
    Now lets see if I can post the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice truck! What transmission does it have?

3176 dump truck KW

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerFF373 View Post
    Nice truck! What transmission does it have?
    right now it has a 13 speed, with 4:66 rears. Im not sure how this is going to work out, hope to put it to work, in about a week. Still doing work on it when I get time. I had to rebuild the tailgate, this weekend, someone had really done some damage to it. Got new side boards installed and new seat, work in progress, but I think its turning out great.

I agree its a nice looking truck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast