Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chamber type septic system

Infiltrators got the accusations of getting filled up by rodent borowings, gophors, moles etc, it seems that maybe the problem was the hundreds of linear feet some localities required 450' for a four bedroomed house.

Normal usage would not fill the capacity and the empty hundreds of feet made good gopher homes?

i need to see this sled. when i started installing septic systems in the early 90's, the backhoe dug the ditch ten carried the rock and dumped it in the ditch, the labor ME! would tell him how much, then while he went to get more rock i would get in the ditch and shovel the rock to each side of the ditch and make a v in the gravel. this would go for a 20-30 feet then i would start going back and clipping 10' sections of pipe together and raking the gravel back over the pipe. cover with straw or paper then off to the next on. now this was a lot of work and i always slept well. 330' is the average 3 bedroom system here. this would take a good hard long day to install. 8-10 hours

now when we do gravel we take a skid with us. as dad digs i carry with the skid. when i dump the gravel in the ditch, i take the bucket and rake the gravel to each side with the bucket. THIS IS THE BEST IDEA I EVER HAD!!!! then i take a shovel or sometimes just my foot and level any little spots that need it as i lay the pipe. then get another bucket of gravel and sprinkle a little gravel to cover the pipe. then straw or paper over that. we can put these in about 5-7 hours.

now we do a lot of chambers how they go in has been discussed, it takes us about 3-4 hours to install one of these systems. we get a 30% reduction for useing them here. i think they work alright, but would rather install gravel as i get a full days work out of them and i am just labor on these jobs. they do save quite a bit for us. my pay is around half, material is the same, and no wear and tear on a tracked skid.

we did put in the gravel-less pipe for a while but the inspecters really hate them now, and i hated dragging those 20' sections of 10'' pipe up and down hills.

when it came to installing one at my house i went rock all the way......i think they are the best, guess i am a little old school.

The graveless systems didn't work well around here, most failed in five to ten years. The county was pushing them real hard for a few years, now illegal to install. Once I get started the plumber starts setting pipe to grade, being held by pipe supports. Then i backfill either with the backhoe or skidsteer. The county is pretty good about inspections, we call when getting close to done and they will check right away. So usually are done in one day.

I have always done rock systems like lgammon started. I need to see this sled too- wanna understand how it works. Maybe I would be tempted to use rock more. There is a company here that has come up with some type of hanger thingy. They set them every 10' to carry the pipes. They are the correct height already- dig the trench, set the hangers, set pipes on hangers, fill trench with rock over pipe, pull hanger out and pipe stays at correct level.

Gravelless pipe was a total failure here too. The only soil they ever worked in was clay. If they were installed in sand- certain disaster. I saw some of my competitors' drainfields fail after 1 year!

come on guys we need pics of these sleds!

Quote Originally Posted by lgammon View Post
    come on guys we need pics of these sleds!
    I'll second that !!!

Chamber is by far the most popular system in WV mainly due to 40% reduction over gravel trench or 10'' graveless pipe but my crew still puts a 2'' bed of 57's under and then 12'' up each cover with cloth and topsoil and the main thing is not to go to deep we never have more than 10'' of cover somtimes only 6'' to stay in good soil . Most oldtimers think deeper is better but this is slowly being proved wrong with each new failure

Quote Originally Posted by WV earth mover View Post
    Chamber is by far the most popular system in WV mainly due to 40% reduction over gravel trench or 10'' graveless pipe but my crew still puts a 2'' bed of 57's under and then 12'' up each cover with cloth and topsoil and the main thing is not to go to deep we never have more than 10'' of cover somtimes only 6'' to stay in good soil . Most oldtimers think deeper is better but this is slowly being proved wrong with each new failure
    We don't put any rock under or cloth over. Here we have a max. bottom depth of 4'. We try to keep at least 1' of cover but the cold is more of an issue here too.

What Is a sled? Pics Please!

I'll only use infiltrators if I absolutely have to as I think they're way overated by far.They are so damn flimsy and the way they snap together leaves a lot to be desired.By me,you have to use 3/4''-1'' stone regardless,which I feel is only right because under the right circumstances you will have sink holes alongside them if you don't.I'm also a huge proponent of lots of stone anyway for any type system.If it's a postage stamp of a yard on a redo,I like using concrete tri-galleys or flo-diffusers with 11/2'' to 2 1/2'' stone both under and on the sides.

For leach fields ,I simply get it close with my loader,rake,level some,set pipe,do my patented Wayney wiggle[no copying now--ha ha],readjust for fine tuning.I've seen all my buddy's gimmicks over the years like that sled thingy,X supports with rebars,etc.--nope,not for me,I'm old,old school--at 57 I can still do 230' per day,not going to change after 37 years.New septics by me average app. $10-$15K and can easily go to $70K with a 5' fill section with all the pricey fixins thrown in.
    Just remember when the old lady laughs at your expense for trying to sell what she thinks is a worthless piece of garbage"There is an a** for every toilet seat ever made"
    Formerly Skull-Finder-{found the skull to the famous mastodon in Hyde Park,NY in 2000

The sink holes are caused by not hand backfilling and footpacking the sides Almost no one does it but its a very important part to acheive strenght and its required by both ADS and INFILTRATOR to get about 10'' of granular soil foot packed up the sides and even though i somtimes use gravel when the costumer will pay for it both manufactures says it voids the warranty due to masking of the soil

Quote Originally Posted by WV earth mover View Post
    The sink holes are caused by not hand backfilling and footpacking the sides Almost no one does it but its a very important part to acheive strenght and its required by both ADS and INFILTRATOR to get about 10'' of granular soil foot packed up the sides and even though i somtimes use gravel when the costumer will pay for it both manufactures says it voids the warranty due to masking of the soil
    No earth mover,the sink holes will develop if and when the chambers fill up with gray water because the soil won't perc for whatever reason and then when the water does drop it will suck the backfill[especially so if that backfill is sandy] through the louvers into the bottom of the chamber creating a small void which in time develops into a larger void.Stone,and plenty of it,covered with filter fabric is the correct way of installing these things and most county boards of health back me on this.Clean stone or another well graded aggregate has been used forever in septics all over the world for centuries and now just over the last 15-20 years we hear this BS about stone masking the soil.
    Just remember when the old lady laughs at your expense for trying to sell what she thinks is a worthless piece of garbage"There is an a** for every toilet seat ever made"
    Formerly Skull-Finder-{found the skull to the famous mastodon in Hyde Park,NY in 2000

i completly agree about the stone we do it any time we can but some inspectors here wont allow it just because its against manufactor instructions. Believe me i know the masking thing is a joke i have 6 test systems in with multiple trenchs and observation ports we normally put 2 trenchs with stone and 2 without then measure water depth in the trench twice a year the stone trenchs are always less but with this was known to industry they wont aknowledge it i think there afraid if states start requiring stone it will hurt there sales . One time we even took geofabric 9ft wide laid it in the bottom of the trench and up out each side put in the chamber then folded in over the top to compare silting in - 3 years later the one with the sock we created still had 12 '' of inside height the one installed to manu specs had 9'' - i never tried that again for fear that a biomat would form and seal the geofabric but it completly stopped the silting in prob and that system is now 5 years old and is still working as far as i know

I've said and always thought thisfor years that something is awful fishy with exactly the point you're making.It used to be by me that a 4'x8'x 18'' open bottom concrete flo-diffusor was equivalent to 50 lin.' of leach field.Then,when the infiltrator was ''born'',now 1 chamber was the equal of 50' and the diffusor got a ''rating'' of only it's actual length of 8' which is preposterous.Certainly makes one wonder if some hanky panky is at work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast