Thread: Case 450 Dozer Problems

Case 450 Dozer Problems

My dad has a Case 450 dozer. He said that today while running it he heard a snap and the engine quit. When he tries to start it only the flywheel turns. Broken crankshaft most likely. The engine is pretty worn and he had been considering doing a complete rebuild, but now might try to find a new motor for it.

I'm trying to find a bit of info. about this machine, such as what engine it has and about how old the machine is. The serial number is 3062036. We won't know for sure if this engine can be repaired until we drop the oil pan.

The early Case 450 had a Case G-188D Diesel. (I think this was used in some backhoes & 350s too).
    450B had a Case G-207D engine.
    Hope that helps a little...

188 & 207 case diesels are twin siters, only difference was the head. They were in alot of older case equipment. 580's, 586's, 1845's, 350 & 450 dozers, w-7 wheel loaders I think... And in 530 & 630 farm tractors. Very common little motor.

Am trying to reach Stumpjumper83 about a message he posted...I need a radiator and shroud for a Clarke Airborne and he mentioned in another post about a party that restores, etc. them. Can I find out who that is or where you talking about Syltech in NY (they didn't have one currently)? thanks!! Since I'm a new member I can't contact you apparently so sorry about posting this here. Robert Moline in Nashville, TN or- cashmoline@hotmail.com

Once you make 3 posts to any thread (except TGIF), after a short period of time you'll become a Junior Member and can send a private message to another member.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

OOps

your right in your thoughts about the crankshaft, however I had a jd450 once that sheared the crank bolts and dowel pin off the flywheel would spin but not the engine. If I were you I would pull the #4 injector and see it is building any compression in that cylinder. Parts are fairly easy to get. After market offers most things. I used a place call www.brokentractor.com for most of my parts. Hope this helps

Probationary Member

Case motor

We have case 188 & 207 engines that will fit your dozer here in kentucky. We have alot of case parts some jd parts /also case & john deere winchs. Or we may buy your dozer if it for sale .606-845-3055

Do you guys know where I can buy a repair/operators manual for a 1989 450C Case

The are several on eBay for the 450 Case itself but I could not see one specifice for 450C - search link using words "Case 450 Repair Manual": http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=450...sacat=0&_rdc=1

Crankshaft.....naaaah

I'm going out on a limb and saying that your cam chain snapped.
    Takes a heck of a lot to break a diesel crank.

I betcha it spins REAL fast on the starter, huh?
    JLC
    Residential road/bridge/foundation/EDM layout
    203-994-8948

The case 188 and 207 use timing gears, for certain. I can say I've yet to see a deisel engine that uses a timing chain.

Probationary Member
    I have a case D450 crawler 1975. Tractor will not drive changed all transmission oil and fillter, checked charge pump filter and washed it. Oil apears to have lots of air in transmission. Toque compression gauge reads up to 25 and 50. Transmission gaug is adou 150 checked for possible air leaks can't find any. Help

Probationary Member

Question

Have caseD450 crawler 1975. Tractor will not drive changed all transmission oil and filter, checked charge pump filter and washed it. Oil apears to have lots of air in transmission. Toque compression gauge reads up to 25 to 50 . Transmission gauge is about 150 checked for possible air leaks can't find any. HELP