Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CASE 850C Track Loader(Who owns or runs one?)

CASE 850C Track Loader(Who owns or runs one?)

I just bought a 1981 Case 850C track loader and was would like to know what you think about this machine!
    Have you had any problems and maybe anything I should look for or extra preventive maintenence I should do?

The under carriage is wore and the sprockets are shot, so I will be putting new ones on shortly.Other wise runs nice,no smoke,seems strong and in decent shape.I sure hope it isn't a dud because I need it to make some money first!

roadrunner...

Pics!

Here are a few of my machine!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This dozer has the 336 in it. If I was you I would drop the anti freeze unless you know for a fact it has been changed within the last 1000 hrs. Don't need old anti freeze with a screwed up PH level causing sleeves to pit and leak anti freeze into the engine. The only other item I would check is the small hose from the water manifold to the water pump. These had a tendency to crack and split open, if the anti freeze need to be changed it's a perfect time to change this out too.
    The transmissions in these dozers were rock solid, seen them with 10,000 plus hours with no problems.
    Heavy vehicle mechanics have bigger tools.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98203149@N08/

Thanks for the great advice gggraham!
    I sure will change the antifeeze now.Forgot about what nasty things can happen with poor antifreeze.
    Is this engine preety good or what do you think?I am very glad to hear about the strong transmission as I was very leary on their durability.
    I will be able to tell you more about it when the machine gets delivered the end of this week.
    I gather you pull wrenches for a living, so I may have some more questions for you later on!Thanks again for your knowledge. I appreciate it!

Would you or anyone else know where I could get the Service and Parts Manuals for this 850C Case?
    Let me know or PM me!

roadrunner...

You can look at the parts manual online at www.casece.com
    Heavy vehicle mechanics have bigger tools.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98203149@N08/

Thanks for showing me where to find the parts manual.Ilooked at it and it will be very helpful.
    Now is there a service manual on line?

Well how is it?
    I have a simular question.
    I am looking at an 850B
    two foot peddles on left?
    one on right?
    with an accelerator or decelerator peddle?
    Then they have three levers in front of you.
    i saw on the 1150 they had high low - left right - track speed. does the 850?
    Anyway lets hear about your new ride.
    Last edited by amunderdog; 07-12-2009 at 11:32 PM.

850 b
    Left brake, right brake first part of pedal travel disengages drive to that side.
    levers forward reverse and left and right high low neutral
    plus another lever below for high and low range
    strong simple trans
    if you have the tracks off i would off pull final drive pinion out and inspect

We have a 850 D, great little machine. Only problem we had was someone put brake fluid in the master cylinders instead of hyd. oil. ruined the seals and o rings and caused the pedal to stick disengauged.

Yes all the pedals and levers are what you said.Ihave done quite a bit of work with my machine and really like it.Just like others have posted before - they are truely an all purpose machine. I can dig,grade, load,pile,seperate,stump,lift,haul,sort,screen,etc .,etc.
    Only problem I have right now is the left front idler bearing went and I need to fix immediately.The under carriage is worn to about 20-25% left.I would like to make it till winter then do new under carriage then.
    Anyone have any pointers in splitting the track and pulling out the idler to fix the bearing?I have never done this before!

roadrunner...

How much does an 850 track loader with rear weight weigh?
    I looked up 18,000 The current owner thinks 21,000

The one i am looking at is abit rough. But i think it will be ok.

Years ago I did a lot of repair and maintenance work for small builder operations.I did a lot of work for this one individual who was a loud mouth, but very entertaining.
    Anyways I put a bottom on his first machine. just happens to be a case 850 - He and his kid decided to grease machine after using it a few days . Pumped and pumped and keep pumping grease into that grease fitting (Track adjuster) but could not get the grease to come through, When he come and got me because the ft. wheel was making funny noises- The bearings were completely gone- shaft was pushed against the idler and tracks were still so tight they did not touch the top roll
    Same guy told me it was a waste of time to grease every day , just add a little extra - In other words put in 7 times as much grease and only grease once a week
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Here are a few of my machine!
    great looking machine. what kind of jobs are you using it for?

My dad has a 1450. It's got a 4/1 bucket w/ rippers on the back. He got it for $4500, but the tracks would only turn if they were in the air. Turns out it just needed a small spring inside the transmission to fix the problem. Seems to be a decent machine now!
    Case 590 Super L - 4x4 - ex. hoe - 4/1

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Anyone have any pointers in splitting the track and pulling out the idler to fix the bearing?I have never done this before!
    Release the track adjuster.
    It could have a master pin (only one with a dimple in it) which you will have to drive out - 14lb hammer is good choice. It may need a little heat on the chain link. When you refit - drive the pin from the inside towards the outside - that way if you should bruise the pin during installation, will be easier to drive out next time!)

It could have a joiner link - alligator type or 'c' type - remove the grouser plate & tap with hammer - 2lb is fine.

Idlers don't often repair too easliy - they often need machine shop work to repair the damage caused by the failure - unless you can do this yourself, it can be expensive. Shop around & look for a new one.

PS If your idler does not already have them - the new idlers have rubber spring blocks & spacer plates that will need to be purchased - usually genuine CNH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast