Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobcat T190 arm repair

Bobcat T190 arm repair

So many of y'all make posts about your equipment and your work. Alas, I'm just a lowly mechanic nowdays. But it takes mechanics/fitters to keep things digging, pushing, rolling, lifting...you name it.
    Last week I had a one of my customers bring me his Bobcat T190 and he was in a bit of a pinch, seems he'd ripped out the rear loader arm pivot on the left side. Bobcat had told him a new loader arm would be around 5 G's. He's a small, self employed business and that's a chunk for him. He wanted to know if I could fix it. I said I think we can do it for a bit less than that.

Hmmm, I think we have a problem
    Name:  T190 arm repair 003.jpg
Views: 2857
Size:  35.0 KB

also, he tweaked the loader arms a bit. Look at how much higher the arm on the right is.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 002.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  46.5 KB

burn the paint off with a rosebud and get out the gouger.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 004.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  62.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

there, that's better, knocked those damaged plates out of the way. I put the hammer I used in pic for OCR and AtlasRob.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 006.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  49.2 KB

now to do something with that tweaked frame...off to the frame shop!
    Name:  T190 arm repair 007.jpg
Views: 2745
Size:  54.3 KB

oh yeah, that's better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Read Forum Rules Here

Just remember to use a rod that is compatible with the hardened steel that Bobcat uses .
    Just my 2.02 cents including GST .

now let's fit some fine new plates on here.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 009.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  41.1 KB

there we go, all welded up.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 010.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  44.1 KB

Read Forum Rules Here

Well done ATCOEQUIP,thats how I would do it.The customer saved some money and I bet the repair job is stronger than the factory loader.May as well do both sides while its handy.Good pictures.

spray some primer and some Bobcat white. Oh yeah, that looks better. Ready to re-install loader arms.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 012.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  T190 arm repair 013.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  42.3 KB

got everything fitted in it proper place and she's ready to hit the dirt again.
    Name:  T190 arm repair 014.jpg
Views: 3103
Size:  37.2 KB

Read Forum Rules Here

Iron Horse, I had my welding supplier come in when we set up the new 600 amp Miller MIG welder to make sure he understood the type of wire we need for the welding process's that we do. And I'm confident, after seeing the way Bobcat fabricated and welded the arm pivot pin boss, that I've got more structural weld in that area than Bobcat originally did. I'm pretty picky about welds.
    25c, it wasn't a bad job at all and the total bill came to around 2K. Customer is happy as a hardwood tree.

Read Forum Rules Here

That is one good looking repair job. If I ever bend my backhoe I'm looking you up. I really like your " frame Machine".

Quote Originally Posted by eRay View Post
    That is one good looking repair job. If I ever bend my backhoe I'm looking you up. I really like your " frame Machine".
    I have to admit that "frame shop" was a lot of fun! Having a 200 series and 300 series excavator squash a T190 loader arm frame was a real hoot!

Read Forum Rules Here

Well, got a phone call Thursday. You guessed it...it was Matt. "Hey, you remember my T190?"..."Yeah, what about it?"..."Oh, the side you repaired is fine...it broke the opposite side!" Grrrrrrrrr

Now I have to do this again! And yes, it tweaked the loader arms...again...the opposite way! Still have the Cat 320 to bend frame again, but EX300 is gone. But...we do have a Kobelco SK480 to work with. Oh yeah...more power!

I have no idea what these fellows are doing with this machine to do this. They are tree guys, maybe they are popping stumps out of the ground with it, I just don't know. When I did the left side a year ago, I did look this side over real good, didn't see any signs of stress or weld cracks. When he brought it in this time, I took a close look at the broken welds. It was obvious because of rusting that the top weld that attached arm to pin boss has failed for some time. So all the load was on the bottom weld and the side plates, and those plates just aren't thick enough to handle the tension load. The top and bottom welds have to carry the load. And when you look at these broken welds, it appear Bobcat only applies a single pass of mig weld.

Now, this is the only T190 that I've personally seen do this. There are tons of those units out there, and I haven't seen evidence that this failure is necessarily common to these machines, it's probably more likely some operation method the operators are doing that is stressing the machine and breaking this pin boss attachment. With that said, I think it would be prudent for guys that own Bobcats in general and T190 in particular to pay close attention to this joint and frequently inspect it. When it breaks, it's a mess

Name:  T190 arm 001.jpg
Views: 2418
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  T190 arm 002.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  T190 arm 004.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  30.7 KB

Read Forum Rules Here

Nice work ATCO I think this guy is taking a knive to a gun fight as they say. That is a lot of damage sadly. I have no clue how people wreck machines like this.

Well done there Atco didn't know you had attended the stock school of engineering
    Stock

Common sense is not common practice

Nice work ATCO. From 20 years of running and owning Bobcat equipment I have found that you really have to check the welds on Bobcats. A few weak spots I have dealt with - the pin boss on the boom for the stick on the mini-ex's, Bobtach mounting plate where the pin boss connects to the mounting plate on the older skids and the pin boss on the boom for the tilt cylinder on the older single cylinder machines. Might need to drag the 334D up to Tenn. and have you fix my pin boss.
    Take what you win, run what you brung

Forum Rules and Posting Troubles for New Members

How to post pictures

Part-time Moderator, Full-time Spam Hunter

Thanks guys!

Speedpup, it wasn't a really hard job, but on the other hand, wasn't really expecting to do it all over again in just about a year.

stock, lol, I attended the G. G. Willis school of engineering. Worked with some form of iron near all my life, spent several years fabricating and erecting structural iron, you learn a lot doing that.

CM, um, did I say I hate working on Bobcats? Bah ha ha ha ha

Read Forum Rules Here

G.G. Willis School Of Engineering

A great school,and ATCO graduated sum-ma cum lau-de.Top of the class The bobcat repair looks great

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast