Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative bobcat hydraulic oil?

Alternative bobcat hydraulic oil?

Just bought a 2002 773G bobcat, hydraulic oil is low so I called dealer. A 2.5 gallon jug is $40 , it just seemed pretty high . Is their hydraulic oil that good or can I buy another brand that is as good or better for a better price. I don't want to cheap out , then again I don't want to throw money away. I seek knowledge!

A good quality brand of AW hyd oil will work fine. The debate is usually which grade. I've used AW32 in Bobcats for years, others would recommend the higher viscosity grade AW46, probably works just as well. IMHO, AW32 works just fine because Bobcat's have a fairly good oil cooler to control high oil temps. I purchased 10 buckets of Shell AW32 a week ago and they were $38 per 5 gal bucket.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

I used to do the same thing with my Kubota tractor. The dealer recommended fluid was ridiculously expensive. I went to the local auto parts store and bought the same SAE certified type of fluid for a lot less. Never had a problem.

We have been using aw32 hydro oil for years now no problems

Do you need to drain the Bobcat oil that is already in the machine? I'm using a Case 1845C and a Bobcat T190 and switching my 4-in-1 bucket back and forth. I'd like to just put AW46 in everything just like my Kubota KX121-3. Make life a lot simpler. I know that the Case has 10W30 w/HTO additive in it right now. Anybody know if I'll be making a huge mistake adding NAPA AW46 on top of what's in these machines and then running them like I stole them?

Bobcat will not officaly release the the weight of the oil, but my part guy heard at schooling that it is close to a 20 weight. We tell people who are to far away to come shop is look for something that says hydraulic/ hydrostatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcatdan View Post
    Bobcat will not officaly release the the weight of the oil, but my part guy heard at schooling that it is close to a 20 weight.
    thats what i've heard too

i tell people not to use "universal tractor fluid" find some oil thats rated for use with hydrostatic drive systems.

oil formulas have changed so much over the past 25+ years, it's hard to keep up anymore.
    BTW
    bobcat no longer recomends using engine oils in hyd systems (6/06)
    anymore, engine oil is probably the worst thing you can use, especially with the newest low ash oils for the EFI engines

Personally, for the cost, at work I just buy what the manufacturer recommends. I figure the cost, every 1000 hours or so, is not worth the down time $. Now, for my own machines, down time is not an $ issue but a frustration issue. I have had to scrimp and save to get them, so I still figure fluid is cheap. Other repairs I might go cheap, but for fluids I try to get a cheap generic equivalent. If I can not ascertain one, I get the manufactures recommended.

I have been running 2 nine seventy five (975) bobcats sťance 1982 and have only used 15/40 Delo motor oil in them. 1 of the machines has had a new motor replaced due to running it upside down for a short time starving the motor for oil and wiping out the bearings. The replacement motor was turbo charged bumping the HP from 85HP to 125HP. Both machines have over 10,000 hours on them and run great except for the sun strand hydrostatic pumps are getting weak. each time I change hydraulic oil (still 15/40 Delo) they run strong for about 6 months. At the time these machines were new Bobcat recommended Delo 15/40 motor oil for the hydraulic system. 33 gal each.
    30 years IUOE Local 302

www.twhall.net

Yea you could use another brand but it must to have "antifoam on it"
    And no bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic oil is NOT 20 weight ,must like 46
    but in olders units 32 works fine,I worked for a bobcat dealership for 9 years,
    shop foreman for 4 years.
    Last edited by super mechanic; 07-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Yea you could use napa 46 but 32 napa will worked better for you
    One of my customer had a Takeuchi 150 ,case 450 and a bobcat S250
    Takeuchi takes engine diesel oil,case engine oil SAE and bobcat hydraulic
    anyhow,he used the same breaker for all 3 machines and everything works fine
    Last edited by super mechanic; 07-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.

The service manual for the 753 says 10/30 oil.

The CAT dealer sent me some literature in the mail. I noticed they wanted $110 a 5 gallon bucket for their hydraulic oil. For that price that oil better cure cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by equip guy View Post
    The service manual for the 753 says 10/30 oil.
    bobcat no longer recomends using engine oils in hyd systems (6/06)

Was that for equipment built from 6/06 and on or is it for even older equipment? Thanks, I had not heard of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast