Thread: 1845C Fan belt change question

1845C Fan belt change question

So I needed to change the belt tensioner and I figured I'd put a new fan belt on while I was in there.... but it looks like I'd have to drain the hydraulics and pull the pump off the crankshaft to do that. Really? Just to change a belt I have to screw with all that? Is there something I'm missing?

The hydraulic pump is attached to the crankshaft with a splined coupler. Remove the 4 bolts from the coupler to crankshaft. There is a notch in the engine (harp) mount the bolts will only come out when lined up with that notch. Once all 4 bolts are out slide the coupler towards the pump, it will leave you room to get the belt on. Reverse order for assembly. I'd spray the coupler with penetrating oil they tend to rust up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gggraham; 04-12-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Heavy vehicle mechanics have bigger tools.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98203149@N08/

gggraham, I hadn't responded to this post because I haven't worked on the 1845. From what you describe Case has kept their wits. I've worked on plenty of the Case loader/hoes and that's the way they're made. Remove the coupling bolts, slide the coupling on the splined shaft, and you have just enough room to slip a new belt in there. I always liked working on the Case loader/hoes, very mechanic friendly.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

Thumbs up You da man...

Mr. Graham,

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the info. Although I've looked at the online parts breakdown, it's not the kind of thing where you can pick up on the nuances real easily.

Thanks again, this was exactly the info I needed.

Probationary Member
    Although I've looked at the online parts breakdown
    ReBob808,

Where did you find an online parts breakdown for the 1845C? I'm taking delivery of my first SS on Saturday 5/23/09 and have been trying to become familiar with this machine.

I have a small farm in NE Texas and plan to use the SS for cleaning up around the creek area (once it get dry) and general earth moving.

Thanks
    Bob
    East of Lone Oak, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rbrothers View Post
    ReBob808,

Where did you find an online parts breakdown for the 1845C? I'm taking delivery of my first SS on Saturday 5/23/09 and have been trying to become familiar with this machine.

I have a small farm in NE Texas and plan to use the SS for cleaning up around the creek area (once it get dry) and general earth moving.

Thanks
    Bob
    East of Lone Oak, TX

www.casece.com

click on Parts and Service tab
    scroll down and click Parts Catalog
    on the next page you have to click the Launch Parts Catalog tab just above the video
    your there. just type in your model number.
    A good mechanic isn't expensive, he's priceless!

http://www.bluediamondattachments.com/

Read Forum Rules Here

Please don't respond to spammers...makes our job tougher mopping up their mess

Probationary Member
    I'd been to that site before, but must have missed the parts list :0

Thanks
    Bob
    East of Lone Oak, TX

Dave 580k case

Quote Originally Posted by gggraham View Post
    The hydraulic pump is attached to the crankshaft with a splined coupler. Remove the 4 bolts from the coupler to crankshaft. There is a notch in the engine (harp) mount the bolts will only come out when lined up with that notch. Once all 4 bolts are out slide the coupler towards the pump, it will leave you room to get the belt on. Reverse order for assembly. I'd spray the coupler with penetrating oil they tend to rust up.
    How do i check to see if my tensioner is bad? When engine is idling the belt and idler is fairly stable,but when i rev the engine up the idler is bouncing all over and the engine is shaking. All mounts seem ok. Not sure what is causing everything to shake. Any help is greatly app. Just joined the forum and seems like a lot of good info here.

Probationary Member

Changing V Belt on 1840 Case Skidsteer

Quote Originally Posted by ReBob808 View Post
    So I needed to change the belt tensioner and I figured I'd put a new fan belt on while I was in there.... but it looks like I'd have to drain the hydraulics and pull the pump off the crankshaft to do that. Really? Just to change a belt I have to screw with all that? Is there something I'm missing?
    There is easier way to change belt instead of trying to unbolt coupler (4 bolts). There are two bolts that hold the Hydraulic pump on the engine bracket (easy to access when radiator is out). Unbolt and the pump will slide back pulling spline out of coupler. There will be enough room to slide the old belt out and new belt in. Just did one and took about 10 mins.