Thread: Forklift Certification...

Forklift Certification...

I just got a mailer from United Rentals. They are offering a Lull Forklift Certification class, $250 per person. In the letter it states that "as of 12/1/99 Operators must be OSHA compliant, it's the law" Can anyone tell me what this means? I know lots of Lull operators that have not had any formal training classes or certifications. What does it mean to be OSHA compliant? I am in CT btw, which I know has some different laws regarding equipment operation, etc. vs. states like MA.
    John

John,
    you, or a competent person in your company can do the training.
    I do safety training for a major co...we get certified by a formal program they have. plus, i have been to Bobcat's instructor program for skidsteer/backhoe safety.

lookup "forklift certification", "OSHA forklift safety training'', etc. and you'll find all the info you need.
    Examples
    http://www.certifyme.net/index.php3
    http://www.forklift-safety.com/?src=overture

You'll find courses you can buy, written tests, etc., but save yourself some money and alter them to your specific equipment
    I've made up programs for small machine shops from my books and stuff off the internet.
    One thing they like to see is pre-operation inspections...and make up a pre-op list, laminate it, and display it on the machine

You must have:
    classroom instruction
    written test
    hands on evaluation
    ...and OSHA wants companies to keep formal records of training

down the road, they're going to want safety training for all equipment

let me know if you have any questions, and i'll be glad to answer/ or find the answer to them
    Rock Wall Builder...only one, my own

SOME MORNINGS I WAKE UP GROUCHY...........OTHERS I LET HER SLEEP

another example is http://www.omniquip.com/Customer_Sup...nformation.asp they have a telehandler training program for trainers and operators...there's a training material list with part #'s
    you could probably order them from your local dealer

BRL Edit: I fixed that link - goes right to the training page now.
    Last edited by BRL; 02-15-2006 at 08:41 PM.

written test

Thanks very much for the links and info, I'll take a look.
    John

Banned
    That Forklift certification is a freaking joke all its for is to cover the azz of the insurance company or the company you are working for. They will give certification to people that know the therory but have no frigging experience.

I have been running forklift since I was 14 year old for my famillies freight company. I have unloaded parts for helicopters that were worth close to a million dollars. Objects that we need two forklifts to lift off because it weighs 20,000 plus pounds and its 9' wide.

One job my brother was on the guy that was certified was the only one allowed to run the forklift who flipped it over because he had no forklift experience. It came around that oh he is certified it was the forklifts fault it flipped over the operator is trained and certified

Like I said is more to do with putting the blame for accidents on someone else the certification is a crock of crap. More rules and regulations some pencil pusher that prolly doesn't even know what a forklift is says oh operators need to be certified.

I have told some people get off the damn thing and let me do it your going to cause a accident. Nothing replaces close to 15 years of experience.

I would have to agree...I am an Equipment Instructor but I have very little Fork Lift experience. I could teach the classroom part on safety etc. but with the practical I would refuse because I am not "competent" on a Fork Lift. So...I make arrangments and send the students to a outside training source to a "competent" Instructor. They have one day classroom then become "certified" Fork lift operators
    I have no idea how this works in the rest of the country but to me to become a "Certified Fork Lift Operator" you should have the one day classroom and at least five days in the field for training and experience, be evaluated and hopefully become reasonably competent enough to receive Fork Lift Certification.

I wish MSHA was that easy!!! I'd get myself one heck of a raise by qualifying myself on EVERYTHING by taking online tests!!

That said, the certification is a good idea - Even for seasoned operators. It's got the potential to increase safety and reduce accidents, as well as reduce overall liability, especially by FORCING preshift inspections. I absolutely HATE when a machine has had a problem for months, and nobody bothers to check off/report the problem.

Nobody likes to do a thorough inspection, but this will also have the potential of holding companies liable for fixing things. I worked for a contractor once that absolutely REFUSED to acknowledge a Pettibone (Lull/telehandler/insert generic term of choice here) with a major-league bleed down issue on the boom. At least until a welding machine got dropped, then it was "Nobody told me about it!! " If there had been inspection cards done and filed, the cheap SOB would've had to fix it.

At my previous employer, our Certification test went as follows. They tell us the answers to write down and then they tell us the question. That way there are NO mistakes on any of the test incase OSHA or ??? came looking. What a JOKE.