Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IH TD30 (NZ) Atom Ant

Hi Pronto,

Thanks very much for taking the time & trouble to get those photos
    I got some shots one day back in 1975 (when I wasn't operating the TS-14) of Pavan's gear parked up at Crofton Downs.
    Will try to dig them out then post. I think they are black & white prints.

25C - Yes, I'm pretty sure that is an Allis-Chalmers poking its nose out of the shed.
    It could be either an HD-16 or HD-21 but I'm sure I got a shot of it too way back then.
    Watch this space !!

TD30 how many

Hi Guys IH records show between 1955 and 1981 there were 55 TD15b - 70 TD15c - 65 BTD20 - 48 TD20 - 64 TD24 - 83 TD25 - and 6 TD30 a couple of webb pics cheers malcolm
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I was talking to an old Wellington identity who operated for Fouhy, Maher and Thompson, among others and asked him if he had any pictures of the earthworks around the region. He is going to dig some out so I will post these too. Will ask him about Pavan's projects. I think one of the last jobs he completed was in the near Elsdon for Housing Corporation.

Ih

Thanks for pics Pronto. Why does this guy have all this gear just parked up ? You,d think he,d sell it; or at least run it a couple of times a year; at least its under cover. I take it john Pavan didnt like caterpillars as is none there
    Thanks for that info Malcom, I was suprised there was 65 BTD20,s and 64 TD24,s come here. Theres very few left. Ive never seen a BTD20 here and only 2 TD24s. The TD15s and 25s were very popular and you still see alot around.
    Out of curiosity anyone know how many HD11s and D6Cs sold here compared to the 125 TD15s.
    Thanks for the info and pics keep it coming.
    Merv

He was a prolific developer back in the day with at least two big subdivisons created. Both just seemed to stop late 70's and nothing has happened since. He had a land bank and roads constructed so has been slowly selling sections since.

The machines in Johnsonville are run up occaisionally and seem to get a hand paint when required - except for the Birtley scoop, which has really deteriorated outside. The scrapers and dozers in Crofton have been left and are now quite grown over with gorse etc. They are in slightly better conditions away from the salt breeze off the harbour.

Road Transport and Contracting

Great to see all the posts...and that topic has created some interest. ..Enclosing a copy of advert in the Oct 62 edition of Road Transport and Contracting....resembles similiar to machine that I recall but with a bush cab.... Malcolm thanks for the numbers listed of IH dozers...can you recall the number of TD30's that had a cable blade

man you guys always find the coolest toys up you neck of the woods

was talking to a customer of mine about detriot engines tonight on phone, will take camera next time i go out there, he got H30B, H60C, H90, TD25C, T6, and thats just the IH, he also got 2 terex scrapers, 3 agtrucks with detriots, hitachi LX150, EX200-5, kumatsu D65,

Back in the 60s the then Ministry of Works had 3 or 4 BTD 20s in their Tauranga depot which was down at sulphur point in those days. I can never remember seeing them on a job any where and for as long as I can remember they just sat there, probably a goob buy for someone as they had never done much work.

J Pavans Gear

Pronto - found my b&w pics !
    1st shot is all three IH 295's.
    These machines were ex Earthmovers Waikato and two of them had cartoon characters painted on the sides.
    To the extreme right of the scrapers is a TD-25 towing a Birtley 80 scraper (out of picture)

2nd shot is his TD-24 - its a 241 series parked in the trees next to an AC HD-16.

3rd shot is the HD-16.

All of this gear was in pretty good condition at the time I took the photos in 1975.
    The location was Crofton Downs.

Fouhy Mahar & Thompsom

Pronto - you also mentioned Fouhy, Mahar & Thompson in one of your earlier posts.
    This shot was taken on their last job at Maungarakei (pronounced morn-gar-rack-ee for all our overseas friends).

Apart from the usual suspects there are two Cat compactor conversions in the picture (to the left of the TS-14s) a DW-15 (45C series) and a DW-20 (21C series)

Enjoy

wow great pictures, keep em coming,

if your in christchurch, there is a bar in town in a alley way with a bunch of other bars, its called the fish and chip bar, next time i am there i am going up stairs to see if they are running the loop video they got made, it shows clips of the clyde dam, benmore etc

i wanna see it for my self, see what its about

Hi Wabcoman. These are fantastic! The machines at Crofton Downs are almost in the same place - judging by the houses in the background. Obviously, when that job stopped, so did the machines - forever!

The Fouhy Maher shot is great too. As I mentioned, I know one of their old operators, so when I see him next I'll show him -as an encouragement to search out some of his own pictures. If youhad any more I'd love to see those as well.

Td30

a tidy TD30

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    a tidy TD30
    That is sharp looking td 30.I wounder how many years IH produced the td30?Was the final drive problem realy that bad?It looked like a tough tractor.Great picture malcom.

Malcom thanks for posting that pic of the TD30,any more?
    I think it was in the Payliner book that the first production of the td30 had final drive issues-IH withdrew the model for two years until they sorted the problem,unfortunately their reputation was rubbish by then. I hope this is correct no doubt I'ill get corrected if wrong

Neil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast