Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backhoe weight

Backhoe weight

Hey guys, i tried searching abit for an approximate of what my backhoe would weigh, but have had no luck. I would even like posts about similar Case backhoes that would be around the same size (maybe different models or whatever)

1995 Case 580 SK 4x4 extendahoe. Has a cab and not a canopy on it.

I bought a 9 or 10 ton trailer and Im hoping i didnt go to light on the trailer. I also was looking at getting new 235/85/16 trailer tires and have to figure out if I need to get ten plys, or order in some 12 plys.(IF the trailer is rated heavy enough to haul the backhoe around on!)

my 1988 580 k 4x4 extendahoe weighs in at about 17,000 lbs. you should be ok with that trailer. tires need to have a high enough weight rating for the gross weight of machine and trailer. you can get by with 10 ply but if replacing I would go 12 if they are not too expensive. what are you pulling it with? Bill

So yeah my machine would be around what yours is, I never realized they were that heavy!

Im pulling the pintle hitch trailer with a 87 western star dump truck for now. Figure I can haul it to and from a jobsite, and throw a little material in the box if I need be. I also figure it wouldnt be that bad on fuel to use the dump truck, and tow it with ease

As for the trailer tires, i plan on upgrading the trailer after a year or so of use, so I will definatly see how much extra the 12 plys cost. (I didnt think they were bad, something like an extra 400 bucks for all 6, over the 10 plys)

is your trailer using three single axles instead of two sets of duals? have you checked the weight rating plate? most ten ton are dual wheels. the rating plate should be on the hitch frame or front plate of trailer. Bill

I thought the 580's were more around 14-15,000lbs, but I could be wrong.

If it does weigh 17,000 you'll be right on the edge with a 10 ton.
    17,000 machine + 6,000 trailer = 23,000lbs means you need 3,000 tongue weight while keeping 10,000 on each axel. I'm not saying it's unsafe but if you get stoped by the fuzz you might be in some trouble.

No rating plate on the trailer anymore. Its a tri axle trailer, and I think it may be a 9 ton if I remember correct (from what the guy that sold me told me) They did have a paver on it that probably weighed more then my backhoe, so I wasnt really worried when I bought it, but now Im second guessing things, hence me finding out what my backhoe weighs.

We have a old Eager Beaver B9 DOW, tri-axle single tire trailer.

Assuming the specs are the same as yours,

18,000 lbs. carrying capacity
    4,600 lbs. trailer weight
    Standard tires are 235/80R16 load range E

The trailer should have 6,000 lb axles with the tires rated at over 3000 lbs. each. Also remember that you will have quite a bit of weight on the tongue since the axles are so far back on these type of trailers. So you never will be overloaded on the axles at the stated max capacity.

And backhoes normally weigh somewhere around 15,000 to 17,000 depending on what options and if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Now the bad about these type of tri-axle trailers. You will have a lot of tire scrubbing in tight turns, and sometimes enough to pop a tire off of the bead if the trailer is not set up right. So make sure you set the hitch height so the trailer is level when loaded. If the hitch height is too high the trailer will pivot on the rear axle and slide the front axle sideways, or if the hitch is low it will pivot on the front axle and slide the rear axle.

Thanks for those ratings on the trailer kgmz, Im assuming mine would be right on par with that.

I SHOULD just go weigh the damn backhoe, there is some DOT scales about 8 miles from my house, but I was hoping someone on here would know!

I checked out brand new backhoes on the case site last night, and a brand new 590m+ they said the operating weight was around 15,000. Can my 580 from the mid nineties really be that much more?! What would make the damn thing weigh so much more??

I just double checked with a case dealer and was told 17,500 lbs. for a 580 m. so plus or minus 500 lbs. for yours or mine. Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. Heres the link where i found the weight of the 590.

http://casece.com/wps/portal/casece/..._SuperMPlus_S3

checked that site and on page 2 of specs they list operating weights from 15,000 to 19,000 with an additional 454 lbs for cab. I think it all depends on what each machine was spec. with when it was built. I know it sure makes my old detroit in my gmc struggle to move it.

I agree, just got to the scales and weigh it.That takes all the guess work out of it.

Just found a site that gives specs for around 1100 backhoes all makes and models. WWW.ritchiespecs.com/specification it is saying 18000 for case 580 4X4 ext/hoe.

Smile Backhoe weight

FYI,
    Alot of trailers are rated, lets say for 15,000 lbs. but that rating includes the weight of both the trailer & its load. So if the trailer weighs 5,000 lbs. the capacity of the laod can only be 10,000 lbs. Check the tag on your trailer, it should tell you its full capacity. Good Luck:

What makes the newer ones weigh so much? The weight I have been able to find online for my 580 super E is only 11,725lbs... Did they change that much over the years, or is the weight I've found incorrect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast