PDA

View Full Version : engines

deere88
11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
what engine have you guys had the best luck with if it was well maintained? cat, mack, detroit, cummins, other?

how many miles should you expect out of them?

Red Bank
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
If you maintain them on a good schedule, any of them will last. I worked for a regional LTL trucking company, we had Cat, Cummins, Detroit. I have personally seen the majority of the trucks go a million miles without ever doing an inframe. They were particular about using Mobil Delvac 1300 oil, every 250,000 miles we adjusted valves and, if possible, injectors. One piece of advice, the Cummins engines always seemed to me to costs less than the others to service, filter prices, oil capacity, etc. The company I work for now has a 06 Mack tandem dump and a 99 Freightliner with a 8.3l Cummins. The Mack engine holds 56 qts of oil, the Cummins holds 28 qts. I have a Mack tandem dump truck I run on my days off, and yes it holds 56 qts. Sometimes I wished I had a Cummins M-11. Just my opinion.

Greg
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I wind up pulling down my Mack's after about 550,000 miles. But, these were built before the Volvo buyout of Mack.

rino
11-22-2008, 03:10 AM
I like Cat first, but only the C12,C13, C14, and C15. For the most part I like big power meaning 425 HP or better. I really like the 475 HP 3406E amd the 425 HP 3406 mechanical! I like the big HP Cummins as a second choice!

Our mechanic is from Turkey/Greece! He's a good fabricator, but even simple R&R get him in a bind because he is messy! IE. He lost the hinge pins for my dump gate, and replaced them with bolts! No jam nut, or locking nut, and when I asked him to add a jam nut, he said it would add too much weight! In a LTL 9000 long hood Ford I had a 475 Cat E! My fan quit, and he replaced the Horton drive. I kept overheating and he kept replacing the fan clutch! Finally we got a diagonstic mechanic in, and he diagnosed the problem as a faulty relay solonid! The cat had to have the head replaced due to cracks in it. They still can't figureout how the head cracked. Also this man dosen't like grounds. Most trucks have 5 to 7 factory grounds. My mechanic friend told me of more grounds that I should run half were redundant to the factory ground! He found them and cut them all, and 4 of the factory grounds too!

I guess the moral of the story is PM! Keep up on your services and check under the hood more than once a month, and your drive line should last a minimum of 600,000 miles!

GOINGBROKE
11-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Cat at the top of my list. Used to be condsidered the exspensive ones until Cummins ISX came along, have them beat by a long shot. Hold more oil and filters are high priced. Detroit is known for the best fuel mileage and do pretty good for just a 12.7 liter dont see very many 14 liter around here. Cat did very well until 03-04 when the emmsions brought the acert now were pulling them out and building older cat engines to put in those trucks, more power better fuel mileage and lot more reliable. Dont like any of the 07 emmsions engines, not headed in a very good direction

Greg
11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
dido, dido, dido. Now Cat is quitting truck engines. So what is a guy to do now? I will retire before I have to replace any trucks or will just keep rebuilding my Bull Dogs.

GOINGBROKE
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I dont know what one is supposed to do about new trucks. But new ones trade before warranty is up they will break some people trying to fix them. $10,000 for two turbos, heat exchanger and aftercooler peterbilt said. How does an owner operator afford that? Think there would be a greater market for older trucks

Greg
11-22-2008, 03:14 PM
There is. Lots of guys want older ones, especially before the 2007 standards hit. I got better power and mileage than the 2007 guys are getting. Soooooooooooo, screw um, just keep fixin them.

mikef87
11-26-2008, 10:55 AM
I loved the Mack motors before they went electrical. They took a beating and kept on rolling. Guys around here never maintained them and they would out last any truck on the road. These new electronic motors are junk.

nedly05
11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
We've had good luck with mack and cat motors. The old mack had an E6-350 and we had very little trouble with it, nothing major at all. The new mack has an AMI-370 with 70,000 miles, no trouble yet. The 3116 has also been a flawless motor for us. Now that I have said all of that I need to say KNOCK ON WOOD!!

Greg
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Running Mack E7 400 and E6 350 turned up. Both are mechanical. Mileage of 6.1 to 6.2Eighteen speed transmissions mean they run constantly between 1,800 and 2,000 RPM.

The Macks after the Volvo take over are junk.

curly
11-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I've always found the cummins to be good all around engines, but ultimately the best engine can be destroyed if they don't get regular maintenance.

Greg
11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Cummins are good, no doubt about it but you are right that no maintenance will destroy anything. I still got to go with my Bull Dogs. My experience they will out pull a Cummins all the time. Or, as we say, a Detroit screams, a Cummins whimpers, a Cat purrs and well, a Bull Dog, she growls.

Bob Horrell
11-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I have always liked CAT and Cummins. I am currently running a 500hp series 60 Detroit. I am very pleased with it. Great hp and good mileage. I think most of them are good if taken care of properly.
The key is to have the proper gear ratio so you are maximizing each at its peak torque. For instance, my series 60 Detroit, according to the Detroit website, has max mileage at 1400 rpm and max pulling power at 1500 rpm. Here in California the max speed is 55mph. With 24.5 tires, that means it should have a 4:33 rear end ratio. So that is what I found when I was looking for trucks. At 55mph I am at 1400 rpm. In other states where the speed limit is higher, you would want a higher rear end.
If my truck had a CAT in it I would have been looking for a higher rear end, since it's peak mileage is at lower rpm.
Proper gear ratio is everything in performance, longevity, and mileage.