PDA

View Full Version : Operator's Wages

digger242j
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
It's always interesting to know how much money your job is worth.

It's also been said that people are more willing to openly discuss their sex lives than they are their financial details. For that reason, I'll post a poll.

You can vote in a poll without replying to the thread, and nobody will know what your vote was. Since you are assured of being anonymous, you may as well be honest. :)

The question is, "What is an experienced operator's hourly pay?" If you are an employer, what are you paying, or if you are an employee, what are you getting? I know this was discussd a little in another thread.

If you want to add any comments, please do. (Like, "starting pay is about $5 less", or something enlightening like that)

I realize that the pay scale will differ according to what particular segment of the industry you're in. If anybody wants to say what "Union Scale" is in their neck of the woods, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know. I imagine that people in the green industry are probably getting something a little different form those in residential construction, who are probably getting something a little different than heavy/highway, and mining, and etc. etc. etc. There's probably a difference depending on what part of the world you're in too. (I'm only equipped to think in terms of US dollars.) If benefits are provided, they should be added in to the figure.

It should be interesting to see how much of a variation there is.

John Banks
08-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, around here, I have been told that experienced Operating Engineers make about $30 an hour, that's after many years, plus their benefits. Operating Engineers, the old timers run the large machines and most will refuse to get in a backhoe, and almost never will they run a skid steer. The younger guys will run the smaller equipment. Teamsters start about $13 an hour up to about $25 an hour, plus benefits.

Non-union wages run higher than those of the union guys.

A family relative does a lot of the bridge work in and around NYC. Experienced Crane operators there can earn as much as $100-$200 an hour.

A friend of mine runs a concrete shop. He pays his drivers on average $22 an hour, plus benefits. He has three drivers he pays a lot more than that to.

digger242j
08-06-2005, 11:08 AM
There's a help wanted ad in last Sunday's Pittsburgh newspaper from an outfit in Virginia. They're offering $19.25 for finish grader operators, $18.50 for excavator, loader, and dozer operators, and $15.50 for CDL drivers. Also, $18 for field mechanics.

Given the poll results so far, it doesn't seem too surprising that they're having to advertise so far from home.

xkvator
08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
a friend of mine's business was a little slow about 2-3 winters ago, so he took a job with an outfit installing sewer lines...i remember him telling me $22/hr.

digger242j
08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
It was probably 10 years ago now that I was offered a job by a guy who said he did all "prevailing wage" jobs. I figured for that kind of money I was just as far ahead to park my equipment and go for the nice paycheck every week. That turned out not to be entirely true though, and in the process I learned a good lesson about how important it is to me to be my own boss, regardless of the money. If I recall correctly, at that time laborers were getting around $17, and operators about $22 (That was union wage, plus a couple of bucks added because you didn't get the benefits they got in the union.) That's one of the reasons I'm curious as to what union scale is now. Has it kept pace with the cost of living?

John Banks' comment, "Non-union wages run higher than those of the union guys", kinda surprises me, unless that adjustment for the benefits is the reason.

RonG
08-07-2005, 06:31 AM
I worked on a job last year breaking ground for a magnate,I am not sure how to spell that,I have seen "magnet" too but it was one of those over achieving students schools anyway and my payrate was $40.38 an hour which was scale (29.**) plus bennies.Unfortunately there was some family and some politics involved and I only stayed there for about a month and a half.
They sent the super that hired me to another job right away and when he heard that I was out of work he hired me again for the same company and I finished the year with them at about half the pay with the promise of going back to the school job in the spring.Well,guess what I was told in the spring,they always have plenty of help at the school job.lol
I was stacking hazmat on plastic with an old D8K and just had to stay ahead of two rock trucks,a pretty gravy job. :cussing

Nac
08-07-2005, 06:40 PM
If you can find o good operater around hear the min. they will work for is 250 a day and that cash. A union operater makes over 30/ hour in the envolope plus benfits another 20 plus and hour. I was makeing 36/ hour plus benfits as a union carpenter forman

chechnya
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I was making $13.50 as a first year make ready person/tractor operator.

tylermckee
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
$16 with medical, 401k, profit sharing, and i work 50hrs/week. residential site prep, digging for foundations, backfilling, etc. only been at it for a year and some change. stepdad has been on equipment for 20+ years and he's taught me most of what i know. says im better than most operators he's worked with, dont know if he's stretching the truth or not but i try my best.

itsgottobegreen
01-12-2006, 03:14 AM
I get $20 an hour cash. I only run a backhoe and bobcat in the winter for a friend when its not snowing. Just digging trenchs for utilties. Keeps me busy and pays for christmas. :drinkup

We pay our bobcat, backhoe and plow truck drivers $15 an hour when its snowing. Loader operators get $20 an hour. Usually they get 10 hours of work per storm or more.

D10N
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm getting $16/change an hour as a mine equipment operator. For our mine, operators cap out at $21/hr, plus benefits/401K/retirement.

Equipment I run now is mostly D10N and D10R dozers, 834B rubber tire dozer, 16H and 16G blades, 793B trucks, 789B water truck (33,000 gallon!) and 992C loader.

kamerad47
01-21-2006, 04:54 PM
this goes to show the differance in pay! I have to pay a bobcat operator $15.00 an hour!! the minimum I would have to pay & excavator operator is $25.00 an hour!!!!

Dozerboy
01-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I do all federal jobs now and get $45 minus benefits. But the first co I worked for out here was giving me $18. After a year I got offered $20 to start, so I wanted a raise I got a whole $0.75 wow. But I didn't want to leave they paid to move me to Socal. Six months later I quit for the job I have now I run into the owner every now and again he wants me back I just laugh. It’s hard to think at 22 I make more than I ever will most likely.

Grader4me
01-22-2006, 06:40 AM
I do all federal jobs now and get $45 minus benefits. But the first co I worked for out here was giving me $18. After a year I got offered $20 to start, so I wanted a raise I got a whole $0.75 wow. But I didn't want to leave they paid to move me to Socal. Six months later I quit for the job I have now I run into the owner every now and again he wants me back I just laugh. It’s hard to think at 22 I make more than I ever will most likely.

Wow!! :eek2 I'm living in the wrong part of the world I guess. Heavy equipment operators do not make big bucks here. Many head out west (Alberta) and make real good money. Be nice to hear some feedback on wages from out there

bozoloaderman
03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
I work at Genesee Mine near Edmonton Alberta. My wage as a loader operator is $29.61/hr plus pension(7%) plus Alberta health care($1080.00 yr) plus extended health benefits(dental etc.) We also have a profit sharing program for safety.(6% of gross yearly wage. approx $3600.00 yr.) and then our safety awards totalling $400/yr. Pretty good if I do say so myself!! Haul truck operators make $26.43/hr plus all the benefits. Dragline and tradesmen make $30+/hr and Equipment operators(dozer, grader, hoe, scraper) make $28+/hr. We are the only non-union Luscar operation and we make the highest wage and get the best benefits of all our operations. I was working as an Operating Engineer until 2 years ago when I started at Genesee and I make more now then I ever did as and OE!!!

Squizzy246B
03-16-2006, 04:45 PM
It's also been said that people are more willing to openly discuss their sex lives than they are their financial details. For that reason, I'll post a poll.

It should be interesting to see how much of a variation there is.

I'm still waiting for the sex poll:bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri

Jeff D.
03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
What do you mean Squizzy??

Are you wondering how much we get paid??:cool:

Grader4me
03-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I work at Genesee Mine near Edmonton Alberta. My wage as a loader operator is $29.61/hr plus pension(7%) plus Alberta health care($1080.00 yr) plus extended health benefits(dental etc.) We also have a profit sharing program for safety.(6% of gross yearly wage. approx $3600.00 yr.) and then our safety awards totalling $400/yr. Pretty good if I do say so myself!! Haul truck operators make $26.43/hr plus all the benefits. Dragline and tradesmen make $30+/hr and Equipment operators(dozer, grader, hoe, scraper) make $28+/hr. We are the only non-union Luscar operation and we make the highest wage and get the best benefits of all our operations. I was working as an Operating Engineer until 2 years ago when I started at Genesee and I make more now then I ever did as and OE!!!

Thats good money. Is your province still looking for and hiring heavy equipment operators as much as they were, or has it slowed down? I know a lot of operators from down this way has packed up and made the move to your province to seek employment.

bozoloaderman
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
There is still a shortage for all sorts of operators in this province. We hired 12 last summer and 3 more this month. Oilsands operators are all looking for people. Couple hundred will be hired for CNRL for 2008 fly in fly out. www.cnrl.com look under Horizon project.
www.albiansands.com
www.suncor.com
www.syncrude.com
www.nacg.ca
www.kmcmining.com
www.iuoe955.com
www.luscar.com
www.gccoal.com

Check out these sites as they will all be hiring and are hiring right now.
No sign of things slowing down any time in the near future. Read an article last week which said this province will need 100,000 workers( all kinds) over the next 5 years. If you want a job in alberta just come here and stand around for 5 minutes and someone will put a shovel in your hand, stand around for 10 and they will hit you with it!!!

Bozo

Grader4me
03-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks Bozo!! I appreciate your reply. I know a lot of guys down here are looking for jobs and I can pass these links along to them. If I wasn't so dam old I would give it a try myself! Thanks again

Peter

Squizzy246B
03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
What do you mean Squizzy??

Are you wondering how much we get paid??:cool:

Depends on wether you are an "operator".

Job we are on at the moment is getting to the rather difficult stage. We are going to have to drill holes 16 feet deep to pour concrete pylons and there is no room for a big rig. Client, who has observed and conversed with us for a week is starting to get the hang of some earthmoving terminology, turns to me and says "this is starting to sound like an ankle grabbing experience"

CAT245ME
03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Thats good money. Is your province still looking for and hiring heavy equipment operators as much as they were, or has it slowed down? I know a lot of operators from down this way has packed up and made the move to your province to seek employment.

Just recently in the newspaper there was a company from alberta that was holding job fairs in this province for experianced operators to go out west, I cant remember the name of the company but the ad said they where one of the largest in alberta.

Grader4me
03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes I heard they were around awhile back. Did you check out the links that Bozoloaderman gave? The place is booming out there...something to think about:yup I know a lot of guys that packed up, sold their homes and headed west. Did you read the post from Bozo about standing around for a few minutes...he wasn't kidding....

Wulf
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
There is still a shortage for all sorts of operators in this province. We hired 12 last summer and 3 more this month. Oilsands operators are all looking for people. Couple hundred will be hired for CNRL for 2008 fly in fly out. www.cnrl.com look under Horizon project.
www.albiansands.com
www.suncor.com
www.syncrude.com
www.nacg.ca
www.kmcmining.com
www.iuoe955.com
www.luscar.com
www.gccoal.com

Check out these sites as they will all be hiring and are hiring right now.
No sign of things slowing down any time in the near future. Read an article last week which said this province will need 100,000 workers( all kinds) over the next 5 years. If you want a job in alberta just come here and stand around for 5 minutes and someone will put a shovel in your hand, stand around for 10 and they will hit you with it!!!

Bozo

Opportunities are there for skilled heavy duty mechanics as well... Private owners are having to wait for days in some cases for dealers to get their machines fixed whilst the dealers understandably give preferred service to the bigger guys. BC is doing very well but other provinces are pretty hot too

Grader4me
03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Opportunities are there for skilled heavy duty mechanics as well... Private owners are having to wait for days in some cases for dealers to get their machines fixed whilst the dealers understandably give preferred service to the bigger guys. BC is doing very well but other provinces are pretty hot too

So in your province is there more of a need for heavy duty mechanics rather than operators? Another question...for a young fella eager to work and learn to operate equipment would your province be the land of opportunity? Just thinking of CAT245ME and his posts.
Hope these questions don't put you on the spot. Sometimes I ask for to much :rolleyes:

Wulf
03-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf

So in your province is there more of a need for heavy duty mechanics rather than operators? Another question...for a young fella eager to work and learn to operate equipment would your province be the land of opportunity? Just thinking of CAT245ME and his posts.
Hope these questions don't put you on the spot. Sometimes I ask for to much :rolleyes:

I'm not in the operational side myself. Bozo could correct me here but skilled operators with mining experience on shovels and loaders and are in greatest demand. Re mechanics many equipment dealers are offering referral bonus of $1000 if staff find a suitable mechanic, the referrer gets the bonus if they are hired and another grand or so if they last a year.

bozoloaderman
03-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Operators of all types are needed here both in the mining end and in the construction. A lot of the mines prefer to hire inexperienced people for heavy hauler as they don't come with bad habits and are more easily trained, as I can attest to. I am the trainer where I work right now and we recently hired a dozen truck drivers with no experience. My wife who drove schoolbus was hired to run 195 ton hauler. Construction here is going like mad with over 10,000 guys working in the oilsands construction alone. Not to mention all the highway and housing construction. I guy I know is looking for crusher personel, starting wage is 15.00/hr for a labourer to start working 12 on 4 off 12 hr shifts. It is like that everywhere here. For all lines of work, not just construction. Perfect place for a young family to move to. Walk in the doors of West Edmonton Mall and there is a big sign saying 1000 jobs available here right now! Grocery stores and fast food places are offering hiring and relocation bonuses just to get people( they hide applications in your bag of food. If you want a job come here and stand around for 5 minutes and someone will put a shovel in your hand. Over the next ten years Alberta will need 100,000 more workers in the province. Over 80 billion in oilsands construction coming up. Yes billion!!!! Feel free to e-mail me 245ME if you want, I can give you a list a mile long of companies

Bozo

daledubois
10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
What is involved if you are from the USA and want an operators job in Canada? There are lots of Heavy Equipment Operators in the USA that are not working at operating equipment because in some areas like Florida the fast food joints pay as much as companys pay operators. And Arizona is not for behind Florida for the paying part. Maybe its just that people want to work where the winters are mild. I think maybe the pay for working the oil sands is the only good part of it, it would be mighty boring if there was nothing to do except work. Also its cold up there, maybe this is the reason they have to pay more.

Dwan Hall
10-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I can tell you the reason here is because no one wants to work in the rain everyday. I am certinaly not here for the sunshine. Good money and I can get a new job everyday. Wait a minute I am self employed and do get a new job everyday.
We will have close to 300 day of rain this year, do you want to dig ditches in that?
Ware everything you own just to keep warm?
Have fungus growing between your toes?
Come home after 10 hours of work and find the furnace has quit or the water is frozen or sometimes both?
Have to find a new women every fall just to keep you warm through the winter?
Picture this. Today I was out running a street sweeper in the snow. Yesterday I was suspose to paint a parking lot with the tempature below freezing.

I think I will spend the rest of the day on the grader. (indoors)

Grader4me
10-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Holy crap Dwan...That is not painting a very good picture...fungus growing between your toes??:bouncegri
New woman every fall? Hummmm.....nope couldn't afford it:)

Countryboy
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Bozoloaderman, are all the figures you have given in US dollars?

tylermckee
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
started a new job today, making $41.85/hour :thumbsup

Grader4me
10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
started a new job today, making $41.85/hour :thumbsup

:eek: :eek: :eek: Wow! good for you! Nice to see operators getting good pay.

tylermckee
10-31-2006, 07:55 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Wow! good for you! Nice to see operators getting good pay.

Well, i should say that its a prevailing wage job we are on, so i'll only be making that when on this job, when its over i'll be back down to $20. Lets see how long i can stretch it out, if our engineer keeps it up we will never be done :thumbsup :crying

The messed up thing is that while our laborers are making $33.xx an hour, dump truck prevailing wage is only $15.xx :eek:

Speedpup
02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
41.86 in wages and then an additional 76% of that for bennies.

guss
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
39.73 here in southern ohio.

cobraguy
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
41.86 in wages and then an additional 76% of that for bennies.wow that is vvvvery nice. I can only hope to make that kind of dough once I am done school ,and put in my time of course.

cobraguy
02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
41.86 in wages and then an additional 76% of that for bennies.how long have you been operating?:notworthy

Speedpup
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
how long have you been operating?:notworthy

I am an owner operator for my masonry company and try not to hire other engineers at those prices :Pointhead

got my first machine in 1978 and my OE book in 80-81

dirt digger
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
i made $18/hr for operating/truck driving....then government jobs I was making something like $38 running a backhoe

liebherr1160
02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Back in Ontario Canada i was making 36 n change for up to 90Ton rate plus more for pension and benifits ..the package worked to about 44-46 $'s an hour ....

None-union guy's were getting 44-50 an hour ..but no benifit's and no pension ..and actually thought they were further ahead ..ever hear of tax's and what it does to that kinda money...
truth be said after 14 yr's of service as an operator (16yrs in OE's total)given what i spent to get in, get trainned ..certification and so on ...
my pension right now would make a good doctor cry with all things considerd..

basspro
02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't suppose they are still hiring in Canada as this thread is from 2006!

I could fit in eh? knew wat i'm taking aboot?

liebherr1160
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't suppose they are still hiring in Canada as this thread is from 2006!

I could fit in eh? knew wat i'm taking aboot?

just hook a plane ..and land ..cry foul and diplomatic imunity ...your in

DS150
07-11-2011, 09:32 PM
44.30 an hr. plus benefits for certified excavator operator in Il.

Drc
07-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I pay lead men/operators $25.00/hr the pipe layer/Crew Boss/Superintendent get more than operators

Boss
07-12-2011, 03:18 AM
As a loader operator we are getting $31.52 an hour plus bene/fringes which total out to about $49.00 an hour. Our screen/crushing plant operator get $27.60 plus bene/fringes which would be around $45.00 an hour.

Mark Thompson
09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
When I was working in Northern Virginia pay was all up and down the charts, some smaller companies were paying far more than the big ones and had better benefits.

Depending on your skills, experience and being close to D.C. your criminal background since many jobs required some type of background check working on government jobs. My pay at the last company I worked for started me out at 19.00 per hour but they also paid fuel for my pickup to just drive it to the job once in a while with a compressor, once I was one for 3 months was making 25.00 per hour and ended up after one year as the dirt superintendent and was making 36.50 and hour. I refused to go salary and was paid well by the hour but not screwing around like my former supervisors did, the owner paid as little as possible to some.

Barfly
10-09-2011, 03:20 AM
Hi guys, I'm an Allrounder in mining (excavator, loader, grader, water cart, haul truck and dozer) I'm at the bottom end of the scale for Western Australia and get around $40 an hour. But, I get to go home everyday so it suits me. People living north of the state are getting the good $$$$, $50 + an hour, but most are fly in fly out jobs.

Cheers Max.

olezy
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum.

Up here in Northern Ontario were getting maybe $15 if your lucky.

windrow
12-10-2011, 06:11 AM
I went on my own last year. but in ND $34/hr for operators. in 2010./2011 but as far as cost of living, $28/hr was the prevailing wage back in 1996/1997. or $ 17/hr back in 1981. certainly does not go as far as it used to. Somebodys gettin rich but it is not me!

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi guys, first post. I know this is a long running thread, Just came across it while surfing. I work for Suncor oilsands in Fort McMurray Alberta. As HD mechanic. I got some info from the blacksand box. 2012 rates are Journeyman tradesmen $55.09/hr. mine equipment operators are tier'd based on experience and time worked. I think theres 7 tiers. Operators starting at It is a union mine. Mechanics too. Phase 1-$34.04 to Phase 7-$53.15. Then theres a Senior operator level - $55.09 then Shovel operators rate is $56.39

theres a bunch of other things to add to that. those numbers are only base rates. theres shift differentials, hot shift change differential for operators, yearly safety and environmental bonus (SIS bonus). We got $3,000 last year for that. Retention bonus is currently $18,000/year. that will be renewed this summer. probably for more. Likely $20k a year for a couple year term.

Them full benefits are included. Company matches upto I think 10% or 12% per year into retirement savings.

All overtime, is Double time.

Its a good gig. Suncor oilsands wants to triple output by 2020. From 330,000 barrels per day to 1 million barrels per day. Its real growth. There is real demand for skilled trades and operators up here. And this is just 1 mine up here. Theres got to be 5 other operations in the area I think.

JGS Parts
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Well depending on machines but i will show examples of my area's

In Australia in my area the mining area of the hunter valley a PC200 size machine operator is on about 36-44USD per hr + 11% Super
In china in my area a PC200 operator in the south working in the city is on about 31-38USD per hr + free housing and food.

Colorado Digger
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
There is no way the chinese are paying 31-38usd per hour. not a chance. my dad out a fair bit of infrastructure in out there and i know the pay scales. not to start an arguement but i just don't buy it. only chance is with a foreign multinational company. but the chinese themselves.. nah..doubt it

JGS Parts
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
There is no way the chinese are paying 31-38usd per hour. not a chance. my dad out a fair bit of infrastructure in out there and i know the pay scales. not to start an arguement but i just don't buy it. only chance is with a foreign multinational company. but the chinese themselves.. nah..doubt it

mate is your dad in china? and also mate they do pay that is why the chinese oprators schools make you pay nearly 10,000USD to learn there also it is very hard to get a job in the industry and there is really no muilty national jobs in china in the civil side of it and never seen a non chinese operator in china. and by the way i have a PC200-5 and a few other machines working in Guangzhou in china and i get 65USD per hr for it dry hire and with an operator i get nearly 85USD for the PC200 in china you would bee surprised by a lot of things. china is not what you think there is more Bentlies and benz sold in china then any where else in the world. the lowest wage operator i know he runs a little 6ton hitachi and he is on 145RMB per hr so at todays rates that is 23USD per hr

alco
05-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi guys, first post. I know this is a long running thread, Just came across it while surfing. I work for Suncor oilsands in Fort McMurray Alberta. As HD mechanic. I got some info from the blacksand box. 2012 rates are Journeyman tradesmen $55.09/hr. mine equipment operators are tier'd based on experience and time worked. I think theres 7 tiers. Operators starting at It is a union mine. Mechanics too. Phase 1-$34.04 to Phase 7-$53.15. Then theres a Senior operator level - $55.09 then Shovel operators rate is $56.39

theres a bunch of other things to add to that. those numbers are only base rates. theres shift differentials, hot shift change differential for operators, yearly safety and environmental bonus (SIS bonus). We got $3,000 last year for that. Retention bonus is currently $18,000/year. that will be renewed this summer. probably for more. Likely $20k a year for a couple year term.

Them full benefits are included. Company matches upto I think 10% or 12% per year into retirement savings.

All overtime, is Double time.

Its a good gig. Suncor oilsands wants to triple output by 2020. From 330,000 barrels per day to 1 million barrels per day. Its real growth. There is real demand for skilled trades and operators up here. And this is just 1 mine up here. Theres got to be 5 other operations in the area I think.

The funny thing is, working non union across the highway, we make more money, have a better pension, better retention, better savings plan, and don't pay union dies.

CM1995
05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
and by the way i have a PC200-5 and a few other machines working in Guangzhou in china and i get 65USD per hr for it dry hire and with an operator i get nearly 85USD for the PC200 in china you would bee surprised by a lot of things. china is not what you think there is more Bentlies and benz sold in china then any where else in the world. the lowest wage operator i know he runs a little 6ton hitachi and he is on 145RMB per hr so at todays rates that is 23USD per hr

I have been to Guangzhou China, big city but nothing to write home about. We stayed at the hotel with the rotating restaurant on top. I was there to attend the Canton Fare, which was quite an exposition.

When I was there the RMB was basically worthless in Hong Kong, has that changed?

JGS Parts
05-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I have been to Guangzhou China, big city but nothing to write home about. We stayed at the hotel with the rotating restaurant on top. I was there to attend the Canton Fare, which was quite an exposition.

When I was there the RMB was basically worthless in Hong Kong, has that changed?

Mate the Chinese RMB (Yuan) is worth more then the Hong Kong Dollar. how long ago was that? now 1 USD buy about 6.1-6.2RMB and everyday the RMB get stronger against the USD. actaully because of this a lot of the chinese companys now will let you pay them in RMB when i first started doing business here in 2002 no way you could talk about paying them in RMB ll they wanted was the USD but sadly the USD has failed. I just hope the market gets better.

Also i agree with you about guangzhou i dont like it too many people dirty and crappy food. but now just to give you an idea i square meter of of a normal shoe box apartment is worth more then 12,000USD super expensive for realestate in china even more expensive then australia.

CM1995
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
The first time I went was 2005, second time in 2007. Our contacts in Hong Kong that accompanied us into the mainland would only get enough RMB for our trip outside HK. No one we dealt with in HK wanted RMB at that time.

I have been reading a lot about China's super hot real estate market for the last year or so. That coupled with an artificially low RMB is really a recipe for disaster. Everyone in the US said the hot real estate market would continue on....:cool2

In 2007, we got lucky and was upgraded to a hotel suite in Kowloon looking over the bay back towards HK proper, close to the jet boat ferry terminal. The nightly light show was really neat.:)

We road the jet boat ferry a couple of times up the river to the mainland. Also went to Shenzhen and bought designer knock-offs in the "shopping mall" close to the border crossing.:rolleyes:

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-12-2012, 07:11 PM
The funny thing is, working non union across the highway, we make more money, have a better pension, better retention, better savings plan, and don't pay union dies.

What across the highway?

alco
05-15-2012, 06:03 PM
What across the highway?

Well, what operation is right across the highway from Suncor?........Syncrude.

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Well, what operation is right across the highway from Suncor?........Syncrude.

Well, no. Suncor Voyager is right across the highway. Which is why I asked. Thanks for the snide remarks. And believe me you couldn't pay me enough to work for an Exxon operation.

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-16-2012, 01:54 AM
actually, do you really believe the journeyman rate is more than pennies different. Its not. $2,000 difference on retention, on $120,000 base wages. please. Don't argue semantics. My roommate is Syncrude Instrumentation I know their gig. 2 HET friends are on with Imperial now at Kearl. I know their gig too. Doesn't matter where you're at up here, it all washes out in the end.

alco
05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, no. Suncor Voyager is right across the highway. Which is why I asked. Thanks for the snide remarks. And believe me you couldn't pay me enough to work for an Exxon operation.

Well, yes, Syncrude IS right across the highway. On one side of the highway is Syncrude's south east pond, and on the other side is one of Suncor's ponds. Remember, there's more highway out there than the bit that's at the main gate. If you wanted to make even more money, then you could go a bit further up the highway to Shell, they have the highest wages around for operations.

actually, do you really believe the journeyman rate is more than pennies different. Its not. $2,000 difference on retention, on $120,000 base wages. please. Don't argue semantics. My roommate is Syncrude Instrumentation I know their gig. 2 HET friends are on with Imperial now at Kearl. I know their gig too. Doesn't matter where you're at up here, it all washes out in the end.

Yes, in the end, it's really not much different, but there IS a difference. I'm an operator, may base wage is 56.76 an hour, that's more than pennies difference as you state from the 55.09. Like I mentioned, we don't have the union dues to pay, and we also don't have to lose money to strikes. Not to mention being held back by union rules. The extra $2000 a year is also nice, but it's nice to see they've upped your retention, since it was considerably lower last go round. I have family in management on your side of the road, so I do know a bit of what goes on over there.

engi
05-18-2012, 11:37 PM

Every trade's collective agreement is posted online

http://employment.alberta.ca/apps/cba/search.asp

Let's stop **** measuring and get back to the intent of this thread.

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-19-2012, 03:56 AM
No I layed out some valid information, and got stuffed for it.

Our shovel rate is $56.39 hr you are a shovel operator makeing $56.76 hr. Yes that is pennies on the year.

The retention cycle is just 60 days away from 2 years in place. you havent been following very closely.

Lastly. Alco don't assume you know anything about my or why I came to work up here. Base rate means very little to me. Total earnings does, availablility of overtime. I've already cleared $100k this year so far, I'll be on the hook for a little better than $250k by the end of the year. There's no place else that I can pocket money like that for the amount that I'm asked to do here as a journeyman mechanic. Value to me is based on dollars earned versus effort put forth. That's why I'm here.

alco
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I have no reason, or desire to follow your agreement, as it has no bearing on me in any way. I was simply stating that last go round, the retention was much lower for you folks. I really am happy for you that it has gone up.

For the record, I have no reason to assume anything about you, nor have I done so. I simply pointed out that there are even better compensation deals up here than you have, no need to get all tied in a knot over it. If I wanted to work the overtime, I could easily do similar numbers to what you mention. For me however, I work a very minmal number of overtime hours, because I value my time off far more than the money I could make by working all the time. To each their own.

1-5-3-6-2-4
05-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Thank you, see your veiw point on work and station in life is not the same as mine. You say you don't follow the stats here, yet you say yours is better. Can you appreciate the fact, I am not looking for another job. I have never worked for a union before Suncor, and I don't mind it. This guy, the original poster asked about rates, I gave some current rates. I didn't ask for a lesson in how you think Syncrude is better.

alco
05-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I wasn't giving a lesson in why Syncrude is better, simply stating that there are other places that pay even more than you were stating....that's all. You totally mistook what I was saying and how I was saying it. Maybe you should take some time off and relax, you seem to be wound a bit tight.

Puppy
06-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Well you guys are making my 24 an hour for finish blade look like crap thanks. :)

engi
06-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Well you guys are making my 24 an hour for finish blade look like crap thanks. :)

Have a look at the cost of living in TX .

Then have a look at the gorgeous palatial single wide estate half a million dollars will buy you in Ft McMurray

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11879009&PidKey=-369468868

Puppy
06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
That is crazy my double wide only cost me 104 new with tape and texture.

engi
06-02-2012, 12:19 AM
That is crazy my double wide only cost me 104 new with tape and texture.

They make 3 times as much, but your true cost of living is 1/3...you are not as far behind as you think.

When was the last time you paid $5/gallon for gasoline?

Puppy
06-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah you are right. I actually just got a raise. The average around here is 18-20 With no perks. It is just strange to me to think of making 56 an hour but I guess in the end it all pays the same.

CM1995
06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you for explaining the difference in cost of living engi, a lot of folks just see the wage per hour and don't realize that 9 times out of 10, the expenses rise with the wage. Sometimes it causes dissension on the board by not understanding the cost of living differences. ;)