PDA

View Full Version : FAE/Loftness mulching head

southernman13
08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know the difference in the various mulching heads available for the ASV 100, i know of /fae,loftness,bradco what other brands are available and whar are rhe differences ie quality,longevity,maintenance, teeth cost, any info would be appreciated, thanks

mouse
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
dennis from cenaf (least i hope i got the company right) posts lots of stuff bout the various types. you will find lots of info over on tbn in the toolcat forum iirc.

to this outsider the principle difference seems to be in the construction of the teeth - some use a carbide tooth and some use a steel tooth you sharpen. i'm sure they have their different purposes, i get the impression your timber is a lot softer than the stuff we get here.

paging dennis !!

Noose
08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
There is mostly teeth differences. There are some tub differences too ie. thickness, widths, rakers in the back. Depending on the machine our using. You can't take a Rayco FAE/ Fecon head and put it on a S300, yeah it can lift it but once that drum starts spinning and you start bouncing around it'll be tippy as hell.
Some are belt driven, chain and direct. I like the belt best. What machine are you matching too?

southernman13
08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
looking at an ASV RC100 w/ loftness head on it, wasnt sure about the different head manufacturers, this one is belt driven, just looking for the pros and cons of whats available, thanks

Iron Horse
08-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Check this machine out in the for sale section . It belongs to STROKER from Raleigh , NC . It's a 2005 RC100 with 390 hrs and a 2006 Loftness Carbide with 300hrs for $53,500 . He also has a trailer for sale . If i thought it would fit in my canoe i'd buy it myself .

mouse
08-23-2008, 04:39 AM
just wandered back from a machinery expo we have here named agquip where fae were present.

teeth life seems ok as long as you keep em out of the rocks. I think the italian rep said that they expect about 500 hours out of a decent operator but his english and my hearing were not a great match...

they also had a dedicated machine there, about 650k uad worth, that looked the bee's knees. it is going to a contractor at coffs harbour, i guess they'll be able to feed the greenies through it for compost.

John H
08-23-2008, 07:37 PM
We have tried just about all of them. FAE,Fecon,Loftness and a few others. Right now we are running 2 FAEs and 2 Fecons. One of the FAEs is painted yellow and says Rayco on it. Out of all the ones we have tried the Fecons hold up the best.The Fecons are bulit proof. The teeth on the fecons hold up a lot longer and we have a lot less trouble with them. Parts are a lot faster to get also. We had an FAE head in the shop for a mounth waiting for parts to come from Italy. The Loftness heads I wont even comment on.

Hope this helps.
John

Iron Horse
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
FAE mulchers are made in Italy by a company called CABE . I have 2 CABE flail mowers which are quite well made . If you search the CABE website you will see the mulchers FAE sell . AHWI in New Zealand make a good mulcher which is sold in the US as Fecon .

HeyUvaVT
09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
www.gyrotrac.com

deniscimafinc
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I usually don't like to revive 2-months old threads, but even if southernman13 bought something since then, some other people might be interest in reading this.

There are many types of technologies being used for landclearing. I will let aside burning, chemicals spraying, roller-choppers, bulldozers and their derivative (like this vintage machine (http://scaa.sk.ca/gallery/kids/machinery/en_display.php?i=12))

Speaking of mulching attachments with a rotating appartus (which are called by many names depending on where you reside: mulchers, grinders, shredders, brush cutters, brushcutters, mastication heads, and more...), there are two main concepts: the vertical shaft and the horizontal shaft.

The vertical shaft concept usually drive a horizontal disc. On the disc can be attached:
- free swiveling blades;
- or fixed blades or teeth;
- one could think of chains also, I don't know if that has been done or not.

A vertical shaft might not always have a disc, though. I'm thinking of a machine from Quadco which is spinning a simple plate, at each ends of which is a free-swiveling blade. Manufacturer of vertical-shaft machines often have different option available from the above (Slashbuster, Promac, Quadco, ...)

The horizontal shaft concept usually drive a rotor. On the rotor can be mounted:
- free rotating knives, either at full 360-degrees (like Seppi and many others) or partial rotation (like our old TRH models);
- fixed hammers;
- fixed knives;

The idea behind of the free rotating knives is that if they will rotate if they hit something too hard like rocks. In theory, they then should last longer in rocky condition. Construction have to be well-thought though, to avoid damages to the axle. And because the angle of cut is not constant, performances are not the best.

The fixed hammers technology feature a hammer, most of the time with carbide tips, which will last long in abrasive conditions. Some manufacturers claim they will eat rocks (although carbide do shatters when they hit rocks too hard). Some others will only say you can use them to mix material into the ground. Not as sensitive to impacts as knives, but far from being as productive when eating vegetation.

The fixed knives concept takes the axe and bring it to a rotating drum. As good in rocks as a chainsaw (meaning, not really). However, in vegetation, it's the most productive way of working. Does require to sharpen the blades, or otherwise, you end up working with tools like hammers.

That's of course not a complete picture, and things are evolving fast in the mulching equipment world.

Which machine to buy will depend on what you are required to do (or what kind of service you want to offer):
- for remote-areas where quality of finish is irrelevant, the vertical-shaft is often a good, low-cost option;
- for commercial-grade work, with nice finish, where productivity is not paramount, swiveling knives are fine;
- for anything that required to mix material into the ground, fixed-hammers mulchers are the choice. Or a roto-tiller.
- for work at ground-level or above, where nice finish is wanted and highest productivity is wanted, fixed-knives mulchers are the way to go.

And after that, your choice for a particular machine will depend on other features:
- frame construction (light duty, commercial, industrial?);
- driving mechanism (PTO, hydraulic, with v-belt, cogged-belt, direct drive?);
- service and support (spare parts included with the machine, visit by a technician, availability of spare parts if failure?);

Now it's yours to check out FAE, Fecon, Loftness, Tushogg, DENIS CIMAF and all the other different manufacturers, and decide which one has the machine for you...

Happy shopping :D

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com (http://www.deniscimaf.com)

positrack
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
cant go wrong with FAE the teeth we got on ours has done about 1800 hrs not much life left but they still chew.you can replace the tips instead of forking out for the full tooth

Iron Horse
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Subtle..

shredder
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am from New Zealand and would like to share my thoughts on experiences I have had with various machines.

SEPPI- Good swinging flail mowers up to 3 inch in diameter

BERTI- As above

MAGNUM/ BRADCO- Good robust machines however this reverse interchangable hammer is not. You will find you will take the hammer down to a certain level and interchange the hammer. Thinking there is alot of meat left however in most cases you will find it will break once reversed.

FAE- Good robust machines however I havent had any luck with service and warranty claims. There used to be an agent here in NZ that made back up easy however I think that the FAE factory owns Australasia. I have tried many times to stake a warranty and nobody wants to know.

DENNIS CLIMAF- Excellent machines however I feel they are a little too heavy and only good in clear tree mulching and not contamination

FMI- New brand of smooth drum mulcher from Fecon. Excellent robust design with FAE style hammers. I have a good run out of these with really good back up here in NZ. However they do need to touch up on their touching finishes (only cosmetically)

FECON- We have also tried this brand and have had a good run out of them. However I am not that happy with an open styled drum. This slows down the drum and puts more pressure on the motor.

CATERPILLAR- IS AHWI which is made by fecon and ahwi.

ASV Mulcher- Is made by Fecon

If anybody requires any cheap FAE, FMI, BERTI, SEPPI hammers/ flails I can get my hands on some really good cheap ones in NZ dollars too.

As with the mulchers here in NZ or Australia I can lead you in the right direction for mulching equipment new or used.

I look forward to anyones answers or questions

Iron Horse
12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
So , in your opinion . What would be the best mulcher in hydraulic and PTO for scrub type material from saplings to 6" regrowth in sandy soil with potential rock hazards .

deniscimafinc
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

[...]

DENNIS CLIMAF- Excellent machines however I feel they are a little too heavy and only good in clear tree mulching and not contamination

Hem, if I may, it's spelled DENIS CIMAF, all caps. Well, officially, it would be "Denis CIMAF", because only the CIMAF part is an acronym. But that looks ugly IMO. So, let's do all caps.

That said, I agree, our machines are heavier than some Berti or Seppi, since we focus strictly on industrial class of machinery. That means thicker frame, bigger bearings, heavier hydraulic motor, and so on...

But as far as where our machines can be used or not, I'd be more than happy to organize a demo with you to make you change your mind :D Isn't it Spring in NZ these days? :D :D

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

shredder
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
So , in your opinion . What would be the best mulcher in hydraulic and PTO for scrub type material from saplings to 6" regrowth in sandy soil with potential rock hazards .

It would really depend on what carriers you have available or what your budget is.
How big would the rocks be and what other contamination could you be expected to bump into?

Randy88
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Anybody know anything about tushogg attachments, looked at fecon and wasn't real impressed and after trying to deal with them on other projects and listening to customer complaints, I'll pass on them. Looking for an attachment to follow my big grinder through the timber to clean up and give a nicer finish to the right of way clearing we are looking to do, don't want to spend a lot of time with my big grinder chasing small sticks and back dragging when it could be tackling the larger stuff. Currently have a new holland 190 with cab and high flow and don't want anything to do with a swinging hammer machine or a rotary mower type, been there done that, time to try something else but for 30 grand and a tight economy if we don't like it nobody will give anything on trade to go to something different. The only thing we have found so far is that they like to see you buy one and buy consumables we calculated it at 20 bucks an hour on teeth alone and for thier rock teeth it figures out at about 10 bucks an hour which wouldn't be bad if the rest of the machine would hold up and not require constant repair, others have cheaper consumables but the rest of the machine makes up the price difference, with constant bearing failures, belts, belts, and more belts and constant consumable repacement. Looked at and ran a loftness and wasn't real impressed, did a nice job but wouldn't really do the size material I need to do and didn't look like a machine for long term durability to me, have never been around the FAE or some of the others so any imput would be nice, looked at the pictures of the unit that was posted on this chat and some more info would be better. My wife is going to run it and tooth replacement must be somewhat simple because I don't want to stop everytime one needs to be replaced to do it for her, we run it 10 hours a day and so far haven't seen one that can make it half a day and at noon stop and check teeth for damage and replacement. Somewhere along the line when you have your spouse run equipment the repair falls under the catagory of " you bought the piece of sh-- you fix it yourself I'm here to operate it " which is totally understanding but when the machine requires low down time and ease of maintance its a perk all the way around. Yes theres rocks but the upside is they are big enough you have to drive around them so thus you can see them and I've already gone ahead and got everything knocked down to size anyhow it would just be finish type work for uniform chip size and length, looks mostly.

shredder
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi Randy,

I guess for you I would firstly ask youself
1. Who is the closest distributor for back up and parts.
2. Which distributor has the most experience in your area.

It sounds like you run your mulcher and New Holland constantly through out the entire day and need something robust (best on the market).

I have not personally run the Tushogg but looking at the drum configuration it seems to be the same layout of teeth as a twin header/ drum cutter for mining and tunnelling.

With this layout I would seem to think it would be great on rocks but will not mulch your material small enough for a nice finish. It looks like it would bruise the timber more than shredd it.

Have you tried FMI attachments they are a branch off Fecon and seem to have more understanding of professional attachments and offer a fixed-smooth style drum not a Fecon open cast drum.

We are currently using FMI attachments here in New Zealand because of our rocky and harsh conditions.

We have tried FAE as well and their spare parts/ customer relations were utter crap, excuse my french.

If you would like a contact by all means drop me a thread and I will pass the details along.

Iron Horse
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
If i were in your position and had the work i would buy an Iron Wolf mulcher . All the others are just toys from what ive seen . They take way to long to do the task and fall apart on a regular basis . It's a hard thing to find a machine that can take on scrub as there are so many facets to the job , standing timber in all sizes , fallen timber of all sizes , rocks , gullies , stumps , roots with dirt and rocks mixed in etc . The Iron Wolf eats it all and leaves a presentable non erosion layer behind it .

Randy88
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Shredder
Thanks for the reply, no I've never seen the FMI attachments before, how close of a company are they to Fecon and Reyco? Same company different building trying to recoop their reputation and marketshare? Are the FMI cutters made in the US or somewhere else and if so where? I agree totally I need to get something that has good customer support and parts but I don't know who that is, I have eliminated some that don't fall into that catagory but don't know enough about the rest. The tushogg has two different cutters a pointed rock tooth and a round carbide cutter and when you listen to sales they have the typical line of bull, they have a cure all and received devine intervention and have solved all others problems, etc, etc. Don't have a clue of customer support or quality of product or if thier machine has 10% reality, 90% hype. Just looking at the design and construction and they did eliminate drive belts and some of the other cutters draw backs but nobody seems to know about them, just that their another cutter company selling units. Did look into the iron wolf but they came out after I had my big grinder already put together, they did at least put some thought into the unit and testing before putting it onto the market and I probably would have leaned towards them if I wouldn't have had a big one already but the last I knew they didn't have a smaller unit to fit a skidsteer, they were talking about making a smaller unit but still wanted to hang a power pack onto a smaller cat but thats been a few years ago, lost track of them since. Ran a differnt cutter for a few hours one day two years ago, called a brown cutter or something like that, didn't do too bad a job, was somewhat bulky and had a pressure diverter rigged to the bottom of the unit so when you raised it off the ground it killed hydraulic pressure to the head to eliminate throwing debris at the cab, needed refining somewhat but wasn't too bad really, told the company rep to see about changing and fixing a couple problems and he said great they were wondering how to overcome those issues and was eager to change them and never heard from him again and don't know if they got it up and running or not. I figured if they couldn't get back to me we'd just scratch them off the list, but they did have the nicest unit I've seen yet and felt it was the most durable but can't remember all the perticulars about it.

Iron Horse
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't know if Iron Wolf do a smaller unit either . I meant that the one pictured would do the complete task with no follow up machinery .

That head you speak of , cutting power to the drum when it is lifted would be about as handy as a hip pocket in a pair of underpants . It would be nice lifting it to mulch something off the ground , a fallen tree head etc. and the drum dies :rolleyes: .

Randy88
02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
That unit had a lever tray under it that followed the contour of the ground and when it came off the ground it had a cable mechanism that ran an oil diverter to kill power to the head if I remember and as I told the salesman nice idea and a lot of nice engineering now get rid of it and lets see what the machine will do, you couldn't back up with the head on the ground either if I recall or something strange like that, the salesman said he needed customer imput and was thankfull for my ideas and thoughts and I never heard from him again, it did a nice job and had power and was built ok but needed a lot of testing and refining I thought but it had potential. Often times the person designing these machines is sitting in an office somewhere and all this stuff looks good on paper and the numbers come out and all the specs make it practical but after the lawyers and legal staff and sales get done with it for our lawsuit happy world the end product is something we users scratch our head and say " you've gotta be kidding me " and then we walk away thinking my 5 year old could come up with a better idea than that. I looked at an attachment for a skid steer last year that the manufacturer had designed the entire machine and it had gearboxes, hydraulic motors, valving all the usuall stuff and then some and when I cornered him I found out nothing was off the shelf parts and he even went far enough that no part on it could be sold to anyone but him and if you needed a motor rebuilt all the components inside including seals were specially built for him and only him, he even had sae mounts changed no other motor in the world would fit into his unit, now thats a good idea for the consumer, every seal bolt and nut had to be purchased through his company for repacement parts, that does a lot of good for me when I'm 1000 miles away on a saturday afternoon and need a part so I'm up and going on Monday again, I'm shocked he didn't get a new hose thread made for him so you had to buy hydraulic hoses from him too and he was bold enough to tell me he had considered it but was looking for a company to deal with that issue too. I guess that takes the common sense out of the average moron trying to fix his own machine and locate parts from any hydraulic supplier or have a close by shop repair it for you so you can keep working. I think all these companies have lost sight of whats important, offer the customer a good dependable product that they are happy with and they'll come back and buy more and its gone to this is what we have to offer and nobody else has anything better and we are only gouging you on a few key components and everyone else gets you on other things so just live with it and shut up if you don't buy it 10 others will. " Its got nothing to do with customer satisfaction or ease of installing replacement parts or parts availability it involves company profitability," and thats a direct quote from a company rep I delt with who was trying to sell me a $150,000 machine one time, I'd at least have to give him credit for honesty.

deniscimafinc
02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, Iron Wolf makes a model for skid steer. See:
www.ironwolf.com/mulcher (http://www.ironwolf.com/mulcher)

Of course, to me, this solution has the same problem as any solution designed to cope with both rocks and trees: requires a lot of power, not efficient at mulching trees. Using pointed rock teeth like theirs is good if you have to make a path in heavily rocky conditions and need to both crush rocks and trees at the same time. Other than that, for strictly mulching vegetation, I feel it's as logical to use these tools as using a mining pick to knock down a tree. It can be done, it's just that axes are more the kind of tool I'd rather go with. :D

I know it's not the way many people think, but, to me, whatever front-mount you use, it should be kept for nicer terrain conditions. For rocky conditions, an excavator-mount is more appropriate (better view, more control, can clear vegetation cover before going close to ground and avoid rocks...). But I understand excavators are more expensive per hp than skid steers, so the contractor doing clearing only from time to time will prefer to go with a skid steer solution, even if not as effective as dedicated solutions can be.

As far as parts availability, I agree with you, Randy. Some companies are supposedly specialized in making mulching machines or attachments, yet they want to make a living at selling standard and common stuff like bolts and washers. Probably the kind of businesses run by MBA's who think about money only. Note that some customers will still prefer to buy bolts and washers from the manufacturer, so if anything fails, then they can sue the manufacturer :rolleyes:

You mentioned something about cost per hour in your first post. It's important that peoples come to consider different solutions based on their cost per hour, and then their cost per area cleared. If one's cost per hour is 50% higher than the competitor, but it can do twice the production, isn't that one solution the best? Ok, I oversimplify, yet it's good to see that you're actually aware of the importance of cost per hour, and not just the price tag to buy the head... ;)

And when calculating cost of operation, it's good also to consider:

bolts, nuts, washers replacement;
bearing replacement;
seals replacements;
even maybe the rotor, and the hydraulic motor replacement;
depreciation of the machine;
financing costs to buy the machine.

Then you can calculate a much more realistic cost of operation per hour. And then per acre cleared.

Just to give you numbers I know:
The estimated cost of operation per hour of our DAF-180D, which was* priced at 30500$ USD and designed for +/- 75 hp skid steers, is 22.10$ USD (including everything mentioned above). Its estimated cost per acre cleared is between 60$ and 89$.

In comparison, the estimated cost of operation of our largest excavator-mount DAH-150E, which costs easily around 45000$ USD without installation and is designed for 130 hp excavators and bigger, is 15.78$ USD. The estimated cost per acre cleared varies between 53$ to 80$.

Lawsuit-happy-world notice: these estimates are not promises, actual results may vary, my lawyer is rich, etc...

I say the DAF-180D was priced, because it's no longer available in Canada or the US using our actual technology.

So, skid-steer-mount or excavator-mount? It will depend on the kind of work you need to do, and the number of hours you expect to work each year.

Good luck!

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

Randy88
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks, I called ironwolf and they are sending me a packet of info, didn't sound like they had a lot of smaller units out though maybe a handfull, Yes we already have an excavator mounted head we are using and as for the 130hp, bring it up to size a little, we have a 275hp powerpack dedicated to the head on my machine and we eat trees all day long up to and in excess of 4 ft diameter and am looking for a toy to chase sticks the big one spits out and do clean up so to speak, it'll spit out limbs and chuncks and if it catches hold just right chuck them up to 100 ft and its a pain tracking back to suck up one limb and track back to doing bigger stuff again, anything it'll spit out I figured can be chewed up with the skidsteer unit and save time and times money and productivity. Thats about all I ever intented for the skidsteer unit in the first place, the smaller units aren't quite what I'm looking for but until someone comes up with something better its about all thats out there for speed and convience for cleanup type work. Yes once you sit in an excavator unit its hard to go back to a smaller skidsteer type unit but I have help that can sit in one and run that. They say necessity is the mother of invention and maybe with some thought and now a need who knows maybe there will be something different that comes of it all.

Iron Horse
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Well , i just watched all the video's of the 10' wide Iron Wolf on a high track Cat . Although it could go into the soil and take on rocks and frozen soil , it did not impress me . Not once did they take on a tree bigger than sappling size and even then it was slow . I'd hate to be paying by the hour to clear the light scrub they were in the video's . Surely someone makes a machine that can take on a man sized tree and bush . As for the small unit on the Positrack , well i was squirming in my seat just watching it slowly eat some garden hedges .

HeyUvaVT
02-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Iron Wolf does nothing for me...the DENIS CIMAF heads do not require any powerpacks on the excavators..thats half the appeal...they mulch as well or better than anything else out there and at the end of the day if you need to do dirt work the next day un-hook the lines and take the head off...hook up your bucket and/or thumb and away you go!

bill5362
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
After reading all of the posts on here looks like I'm the only one who like the loftness. I purchased a loftness Carbbide cutter g2 last year, I tried the fecon but after trying both I like more about the G2. We haven't had any problems with ours, and put about 250 hrs on it, teeth seem to be wearing nicely. Bill

deniscimafinc
02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Loftness machines are actually good machines, from what I've heard. It's actually a brand I recommend to those shopping for a commercial-grade mulcher (by opposition to an industrial-grade but more expensive one, like, say, ours... ;) )

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

australian pete
02-21-2009, 06:53 AM
If i were in your position and had the work i would buy an Iron Wolf mulcher . All the others are just toys from what ive seen . They take way to long to do the task and fall apart on a regular basis . It's a hard thing to find a machine that can take on scrub as there are so many facets to the job , standing timber in all sizes , fallen timber of all sizes , rocks , gullies , stumps , roots with dirt and rocks mixed in etc . The Iron Wolf eats it all and leaves a presentable non erosion layer behind it .
do you know how much that unit is reg ? looks impressive.

Iron Horse
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
G'day Pete , from memory , 480K for the head and powerpack + the carrier . I think if they had a mixture of flat chisel teeth as well as the round stone picks on the drum it would be better . Round stone picks IMO are not the optimum shape for mulching timber , they would be trying to split the timber into strips instead of chipping . Have a look at the videos posted by DC , they load quickly .

HeyUvaVT
02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
the loftness products are definitely the best of the "cheap" machines ;)

australian pete
02-22-2009, 06:14 AM
G'day Pete , from memory , 480K for the head and powerpack + the carrier . I think if they had a mixture of flat chisel teeth as well as the round stone picks on the drum it would be better . Round stone picks IMO are not the optimum shape for mulching timber , they would be trying to split the timber into strips instead of chipping . Have a look at the videos posted by DC , they load quickly .
wow, not cheap,i had a look at the videos, like you say not impressive on trees, dont think there would be much work for that unit in australia.

Randy88
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I also got the video of the iron wolf, not real impressed and when he told me he had only a handfull of units out, I wasn't surprised, looked at the tushogg and ran one last week, a used one for sale, a real used on all beat up and in sad shape and when I looked around at all the other stuff he had I'd say it was well tested, mixed feelings on the unit it had good points and bad didn't get shook up enough to order a new one so I'm still looking at all the others, nobody seems to know how the cupped cutters work only the pointed cutters, iron wolf said if I came to the factory 1000 plus miles they MIGHT get one out to run to show me, I'd say the killer instinct wasn't there for the salesman, and by the price wasn't surprised they did't have a lot of units out, ruled out fecon and rayco so whats left???

Iron Horse
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.ironwolf.com/700b/ Iron Wolfs latest machine . They really should get a pro to take the video . I'd hate to be paying $300 per hour at the speed this machine seems to plug along at . It is obviously a very tough mulching head to stick it's face into the rocks , but the soil would just dissapear at the first sign of rain if it was disturbed to this extent . I still hav'nt seen one eat a man sized tree , what gives ?

australian pete
02-27-2009, 04:01 AM
http://www.ironwolf.com/700b/ Iron Wolfs latest machine . They really should get a pro to take the video . I'd hate to be paying $300 per hour at the speed this machine seems to plug along at . It is obviously a very tough mulching head to stick it's face into the rocks , but the soil would just dissapear at the first sign of rain if it was disturbed to this extent . I still hav'nt seen one eat a man sized tree , what gives ?
i think the problem with them is that they are trying to be all things for all applications, EG. grinding soil, rocks and trees. i think jobs for them would be limited, why would you want to disturb the ground to that extent ?

Randy88
02-27-2009, 06:08 AM
The tushogg tries the same approach, chew it up and mix it into the ground, the guys that ran it claimed they tried not to run it into the dirt because it was hard on teeth and they wanted the mulch left on the ground for erosion control, just when they wanted to chew up stumps would they dig into the dirt but then added when it rained it washed off the dirt and left the stump exposed anyhow, if it was a big stump they came in with a stump grinder anyhow, and as the one guy put it if we liked it why would we be selling it? They claimed they have owned them all over the years and were'nt impressed with any of them except the disc style but they we're only good up to two inch material and thats it. They were not impressed with ironwolf at all but wouldln't say much about them othe than they were the highest price of the junk on the market and thats all I got out of them. They were pushing instead a whole tree chipper and put a small feller buncher on a skid steer and cut the trees up to about 12 inches and feed them into a chipper put a stump grinder attachment on the skidsteer and grind stumps and if they wanted erosion control then spread the chips back out. Somewhere that just got real expensive I told them but then they came back with you also have all the attachments to do a variety of jobs and do them well instead of one attachment that doesn't do anythng very well, I guess they do have a point but still thats now 100 grand plus instead of 30 grand or less. They also stated these attachments were ment for 5inch or less material and were never intended for bigger trees and when they upsized them in order to get them to eat them they had to mix them into the dirt to hide the poor quality cut they make, they had no idea who would buy one of the bigger units and for what purpose, pipelines, powercompanies, developers, state and local agencies, business's and homeowners don't like the end result so as they put it whos left? Their opinion was don't buy any mulching attachment that can dig into the dirt period. Your supposed to be eliminating the brush and small trees not tilling the entire site with a garden tiller, the comsumer wants the grass to remain intact as much as possible and hold the dirt from wahing not dig it up and leave it to wash.

deniscimafinc
02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
i think the problem with them is that they are trying to be all things for all applications, EG. grinding soil, rocks and trees [...]

[...] Their opinion was don't buy any mulching attachment that can dig into the dirt period. Your supposed to be eliminating the brush and small trees not tilling the entire site with a garden tiller, the comsumer wants the grass to remain intact as much as possible and hold the dirt from wahing not dig it up and leave it to wash.

I couldn't agree more :)

Which leads to, if you need to mulch in rocky conditions, might be good to consider going with an excavator-mount before jumping head first with a front-mount.

Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

australian pete
02-28-2009, 04:06 AM
it seems the 3 of us agree that the , rock,dirt,tree mulcher is a waste of time, does any one know of a practical use for them ? particuarly considering how expensive they are.

jamesn
08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know the difference in the various mulching heads available for the ASV 100, i know of /fae,loftness,bradco what other brands are available and whar are rhe differences ie quality,longevity,maintenance, teeth cost, any info would be appreciated, thanks

go with a fecon head, you will love it, fae heads leave the mulch in long stringy pieces, seppi, is no good, cimaff costs too much for new teeth and you dont get too many hours from a set of cimaff teeth.

i am a operator of forestry equipment. i have over 15 years mulching exp.i can operate, barko, hydro-ax, franklin, bron, tiger cat skidsteers, i am familiar with fecon, seppi, fae, cimaff heads, i have done seismac, r.o.w. reclaimation, commercial, residential mulching. i can run gps. i am seeking employment, i can/will travel. i live north of houston. if anybody has/needs a operator with good skills at forestry mulching please call me at 281-659-9062, my name is james

jamesn
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
any one needing a good forestry mulcher operator? i have 15 years experience in mulching. i have and can run barko, hydro-ax, franklin, tigercat, bron, gyro-track, rayco, skid steers. i have done seismac mulching, r.o.w. mulching, reclaimation, residential, commercial mulching. i know how to run gps. i am familiar with fecon, fae, cimaf, seppi, loftness heads. i know how to maintain a machine. i am in texas but willing to travel. contact me at 281-659-9062 my name is james

jamesn
08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
The tushogg tries the same approach, chew it up and mix it into the ground, the guys that ran it claimed they tried not to run it into the dirt because it was hard on teeth and they wanted the mulch left on the ground for erosion control, just when they wanted to chew up stumps would they dig into the dirt but then added when it rained it washed off the dirt and left the stump exposed anyhow, if it was a big stump they came in with a stump grinder anyhow, and as the one guy put it if we liked it why would we be selling it? They claimed they have owned them all over the years and were'nt impressed with any of them except the disc style but they we're only good up to two inch material and thats it. They were not impressed with ironwolf at all but wouldln't say much about them othe than they were the highest price of the junk on the market and thats all I got out of them. They were pushing instead a whole tree chipper and put a small feller buncher on a skid steer and cut the trees up to about 12 inches and feed them into a chipper put a stump grinder attachment on the skidsteer and grind stumps and if they wanted erosion control then spread the chips back out. Somewhere that just got real expensive I told them but then they came back with you also have all the attachments to do a variety of jobs and do them well instead of one attachment that doesn't do anythng very well, I guess they do have a point but still thats now 100 grand plus instead of 30 grand or less. They also stated these attachments were ment for 5inch or less material and were never intended for bigger trees and when they upsized them in order to get them to eat them they had to mix them into the dirt to hide the poor quality cut they make, they had no idea who would buy one of the bigger units and for what purpose, pipelines, powercompanies, developers, state and local agencies, business's and homeowners don't like the end result so as they put it whos left? Their opinion was don't buy any mulching attachment that can dig into the dirt period. Your supposed to be eliminating the brush and small trees not tilling the entire site with a garden tiller, the comsumer wants the grass to remain intact as much as possible and hold the dirt from wahing not dig it up and leave it to wash.

tush hog is not worth a s#@t, buy a fecon

jamesn
08-22-2009, 07:11 PM

loftness are ok, buy a fecon you will be much happier

jamesn
08-22-2009, 07:20 PM

loftness is ok, buy a fecon you will be much happier. i have used both and the fecon does a much better job chewing up wood. thefecon is constructed alot better also

HeyUvaVT
08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
James...I am curious did you run a CIMAF head or did you run a Gyro Trac head...there is a big difference in both cost and quality of the blades...I see that you are a big Fecon fan...and if you are looking for a tree grinder then thats fine...but as far as a mulcher goes with good cut quality and efficiency and speed through the woods (isnt that what we are all after?) the CIMAF heads can't be touched...a box of 22 blades is $1075 not too far from a set of carbide hammers (if you buy them from the OEM and not some 3rd party junk with a gorilla for a logo)

I have a front mount CIMAF head and a Excavator mount CIMAF head (the smallest they make by the way) and I will challenge anyone anywhere anytime to put they're machines up against what I am running...Go get a Bullfrog/hog or whatever they call them and put whatever kind of teeth you want to on them (maybe the chipper teeth that they felt the need to develope?) mount it on a 100hp tracked machine (to match with the beat up RC100 mine is on) and lets run em! I will cut faster, leave less mess behind (stringy long and unsightly pieces of wood) oh and also those little sprigs and pieces that stick up out of the ground when you try and hammer to death a little sapling....none of those either ugh!

I am not trying to sound like an arrogant SOB..which I may well be...but I am tired of hearing Fecon this and Fecon that...I too have run multiple brands and multiple carriers day in and day out and I am telling you that if you run the machine the way its made to be run you can't beat it...period and I will back it up....

Good day!

jamesn
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
James...I am curious did you run a CIMAF head or did you run a Gyro Trac head...there is a big difference in both cost and quality of the blades...I see that you are a big Fecon fan...and if you are looking for a tree grinder then thats fine...but as far as a mulcher goes with good cut quality and efficiency and speed through the woods (isnt that what we are all after?) the CIMAF heads can't be touched...a box of 22 blades is $1075 not too far from a set of carbide hammers (if you buy them from the OEM and not some 3rd party junk with a gorilla for a logo)

I have a front mount CIMAF head and a Excavator mount CIMAF head (the smallest they make by the way) and I will challenge anyone anywhere anytime to put they're machines up against what I am running...Go get a Bullfrog/hog or whatever they call them and put whatever kind of teeth you want to on them (maybe the chipper teeth that they felt the need to develope?) mount it on a 100hp tracked machine (to match with the beat up RC100 mine is on) and lets run em! I will cut faster, leave less mess behind (stringy long and unsightly pieces of wood) oh and also those little sprigs and pieces that stick up out of the ground when you try and hammer to death a little sapling....none of those either ugh!

I am not trying to sound like an arrogant SOB..which I may well be...but I am tired of hearing Fecon this and Fecon that...I too have run multiple brands and multiple carriers day in and day out and I am telling you that if you run the machine the way its made to be run you can't beat it...period and I will back it up....

Good day!

i am not putting cimaf down, i have used cimaf on a hydro-ax 411 with a 5.9 cummins 305hp, i have used a fecon on a barko930 cummins 5.9 305hp, the difference to me is the cost of replacing teeth, i have gotten olmost 1000 hours from fecon compared to 40 to 150 hours with cimaf teeth. cimaf is a good head, but i prefer fecon

deniscimafinc
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Hello James,

Your comment again shows why it's important to use the right tool at the right place. For ground-level-and-above mulching operations, the forged-steel cutting blades technology will outcut any carbide-hammer machine. For one-pass tiling-and-mulching work, you'll probably get better cost of operation with a carbide-hammer machine. Both types of job are different and require a different tool. I understand you prefer Fecon if you have to mix stuff in the ground; that's not what our heads are made for.

On a more personal note, good luck with the job search. It's been tough for everyone in the past months, tougher for some of course, but we can feel things are getting better. Just hang on, good times are coming. :)

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

jamesn
08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
frederic dennis, your response is well appreciated, i have done alot of seismac work in texas, and the cimaf head that i used was for clean up purposes after the marker tractor, the head was great to use as for in the hill country where there is alot of rock, the fecon was better. so sandy soil i would use a cimaf, it chewed up the wood really great. the boys at rowmec told me to tell you hi jamesn

miner
10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi shredder, I am looking at buying a mulcher and wondere if i could ring you and have a yarn, from NZ as well. Red and Black country. Cheers Miner

jamesn
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
any work in the forestry business? i am an operator in the forest. not a dirt man, please contact me @281-659-9062, i will relocate as for lost my wife in 12-09 to a dd

bill5362
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Jamesn, I do not have any work right now but I will keep my ears open. I am truly sorry for your lost is such a shame that people can be so reckless with others lives. Good luck in your search, and I will do some checking, its really slow here with winter. Bill

HeyUvaVT
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
jamesn I also would like to extend my condolences and if I hear of anyone looking for operators I will let you know

DIRTROAD
03-25-2010, 05:37 PM
I am very sorry for your loss as well.

AustinPSD
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Hello James,

Your comment again shows why it's important to use the right tool at the right place. For ground-level-and-above mulching operations, the forged-steel cutting blades technology will outcut any carbide-hammer machine. For one-pass tiling-and-mulching work, you'll probably get better cost of operation with a carbide-hammer machine. Both types of job are different and require a different tool. I understand you prefer Fecon if you have to mix stuff in the ground; that's not what our heads are made for.

On a more personal note, good luck with the job search. It's been tough for everyone in the past months, tougher for some of course, but we can feel things are getting better. Just hang on, good times are coming. :)

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

I've been doing dozer support work on a clearing project, working in tandem with a guy running a Lamtrac 6125 with a Fecon head.

The work area is a mix of river basin sediment, loose rock, solid hard rock cap, clay and soil, topped with bald cypress, cedar elm, oak, willow, china berry, and cottonwood, along with a mix of other crap like mesquite and salt cedar.

Most of the rock is hard limestone, either in loose form from gravel size up to boulders in the half ton and larger range. The solid parts include limestone and granite cap, pretty typical for Texas in the Guadalupe river basin.

The Fecon head makes short work of most of the material, and seems to be pretty resistant to rock. The machine has lost one tooth-mount in a week on one of the elements in the cutting head, which is a surprise given the amount of rock it contacts.

It seems to do a fine job of getting the material shredded/mulched, with a few exceptions - there is a lot of material that is either partially burned/petrified, or that was submerged and mineralized. The Fecon head doesn't do too much against this stuff.

Overall, the machine does better on standing trees than anything else. We can't legally take down living cypress, but it does well on large dead cypress, china berry, willow and cottonwood. The Lamtrack has a pretty short track base, seems shorter anyway than the D3G I'm running - it does well on level terrain, not so much on berms and swales or other uneven terrain washes from river floods.

All in, its been a pleasure working with/watching the machine do its thing. A whole lot less tedious than grinding it up by spinning a dozer on it, and more efficient in time, fuel and machine wear.

The operator says its his favorite to run, comparing to a Barko 930, which is the other machine in his stable. It seems like a pretty nimble, but capable forestry mulcher...

GaryHoff
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I've been doing dozer support work on a clearing project, working in tandem with a guy running a Lamtrac 6125 with a Fecon head.

The operator says its his favorite to run, comparing to a Barko 930, which is the other machine in his stable. It seems like a pretty nimble, but capable forestry mulcher...

http://www.lamtrac.com/home/index_e.php

The lamtracs generally come with a FAE head on them. Did you specifically chose the Fecon head over FAE for the area its working in? Have you ran the unit with both brands of head? How many hours are on your lamtrac?

My opinion is probbaly a little biased because I work at a lamtrac dealership.

The Lamtrac machines are generally liked better, due to the better cab on them. They are however high maintenance (much like any mulcher), but seem to be one of the better mulchers on the market.

AustinPSD
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.lamtrac.com/home/index_e.php

The lamtracs generally come with a FAE head on them. Did you specifically chose the Fecon head over FAE for the area its working in? Have you ran the unit with both brands of head? How many hours are on your lamtrac?

My opinion is probbaly a little biased because I work at a lamtrac dealership.

The Lamtrac machines are generally liked better, due to the better cab on them. They are however high maintenance (much like any mulcher), but seem to be one of the better mulchers on the market.

It's not my machine, and I'm not the operator... just doing support work during his part of this project. I don't know what his decision-making criteria were for the Fecon vs. FAE head.

The operator does love the cab - air-ride, A/C, excellent guarding/cage, floating, and pretty much every creature comfort. I have to admit I'm jealous - my D3G is an open-cab, no sweeps, no forestry cab...

The area we were working is incredibly rough - I did a lot of leveling, clearing of large boulders/rock, pushing into level patches, clearing of stuff he didn't want to abuse his machine with (semi-burned logs, stumps, mineralized/petrified stuff, other debris). In watching the machine, it worked like a lawn-mower on level ground, even with big (2+ foot) diameter trees. On the berms, swales, and river drift piles, it was problematic.

The Fecon head may be a local support/terrain decision. Central Texas is about two inches to two feet of soil, or soil-like material over solid cap rock or mixed/broken rock. It changes about every two linear feet. Whatever you put on the ground has to be capable of surviving an encounter with a variety of rock, from river gravel/stone to solid limestone or granite cap rock.

If I have the chance to work with him on the next project phase, I'll see if I can get more background on the FAE vs. Fecon and other decisions.

roper ron
01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
I would like to finally come out and tell people about the treatment I received from Lamtrac and Tidewater Equipment in NewBrunswick. I bought a new(under 50 hour demo) Lamtrac 6125 and mulcher head. The head looked beat and I looked into it and the belt was loose and worn along with worn teeth. The style head wasn't even made for Lamtrac anymore. The serial number wasn't there and they posted a wrong serial number. Lamtrac and Tidewater in NewBrunswick denied the head was over 50 hours. I proved it by tracing the Rexroth hydraulic motor serial number and found out the head was around three years older than represented. This investigation took a long time. The F.B.I. said they would handle it but that was over a year ago. Lamtrac and Tidewater stopped honoring my warranty and taking my calls or answering my emails. I still have the email where Lamtrac said they would make it right after I proved how old the head was. I had to buy a NEW head to be safe with a model made special for Lamtrac and it couldn't handle the gpm or psi, which is very dangerous. The handbook said DO NOT EXCEED 4,000 psi BUT the machine puts out 6,000 psi. Nowhere does the Lamtrac Company tell you how to lower the machine preasure to the head. Why pay for all that fluid to the head and have to choke it down somehow? I also bought a high lift kit from lamtrac and the mulcher head manual said the head shouldn't be lifted past the chains touching the ground or SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY OCCUR. The lift kit raises the chains over five feet off the ground. I'm out a ton of money with a hard machine to keep working with no Lamtrac support or Tidewater (dealer)support. I have the emails to prove all this and I'm hoping maybe these ripoffs will get back to me now that it's in the open. I don't want people hurt, a mulcher head needs to handle the 6,000 psi and the 60 gpm. Both mulcher heads were supposed to bypass at 4,000 psi but neither did so you can't count on that, the manual simply says don't exceed 4,000 p.s.i.Tidewater said I had to pay the shipping to send the unit I bought from Colorado to Georgia and the replacement head which was an even older Fecon with unknown hours and pay for the freight from Georgia to Colorado. They called this "bending over Backwards to help me" I guess that's all you can expect when buying a quarter of a million dollar machine these days, I am not a rich man and this really hurts. I spent so much time proving I was right on the head being old, then ordering a new head, getting all the information to the F.B.I in NewBrunswick and even he doesn't return my calls after pumping me up with all the things they did wrong, then dealing with too much preasure to the new head, which cost another $30,000. This whole fiasco may break me with two kids and a ranch mortgage.

Karl P R
03-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Looking for a head to mulch frozen or none frozen soil with possibly rocks among it. thinking of the FAE Rock head I am in Canada and need to strip top soil from farmed land. I want to use a bigger tractor for faster operation in tuff conditions. The tractor I am looking to use on the head is a JD 8R series which comes with around 300hp motor. Now asking you for directions where I could find a head used but in very good shape. What are the prices I can expect?

Hi Everyone,

I am from New Zealand and would like to share my thoughts on experiences I have had with various machines.

BERTI- As above

MAGNUM/ BRADCO- Good robust machines however this reverse interchangable hammer is not. You will find you will take the hammer down to a certain level and interchange the hammer. Thinking there is alot of meat left however in most cases you will find it will break once reversed.

FAE- Good robust machines however I havent had any luck with service and warranty claims. There used to be an agent here in NZ that made back up easy however I think that the FAE factory owns Australasia. I have tried many times to stake a warranty and nobody wants to know.

FMI- New brand of smooth drum mulcher from Fecon. Excellent robust design with FAE style hammers. I have a good run out of these with really good back up here in NZ. However they do need to touch up on their touching finishes (only cosmetically)

FECON- We have also tried this brand and have had a good run out of them. However I am not that happy with an open styled drum. This slows down the drum and puts more pressure on the motor.

If anybody requires any cheap FAE, FMI, BERTI, SEPPI hammers/ flails I can get my hands on some really good cheap ones in NZ dollars too.

As with the mulchers here in NZ or Australia I can lead you in the right direction for mulching equipment new or used.

Plebeian
03-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Looking for a head to mulch frozen or none frozen soil with possibly rocks among it. thinking of the FAE Rock head I am in Canada and need to strip top soil from farmed land. I want to use a bigger tractor for faster operation in tuff conditions. The tractor I am looking to use on the head is a JD 8R series which comes with around 300hp motor. Now asking you for directions where I could find a head used but in very good shape. What are the prices I can expect?

A preused machine is likely to have little or no warranty with it so that is part of the risk you take purchasing pre-used.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=FAE (Attachment World, Alberta) Maybe not the right machine for you. The stone crushers I have seen have had Fendt tractors in front of them. I guess you can find the FAE website for stone crusher specifications.
AHWI and Seppi-M also make some large tractor powered stone crushers that are very serious.
http://www.ahwi.com.au/pages/stonecrusher.htm

http://youtu.be/XDEQfZRAVxc (Seppi)

http://seppi.com/en/mulchers/stone-crushers-tillers.html

kiwiclimber
07-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Hi,Sorry to revive a old thread but does any one have any contact details for shredder
Thanks Mark

Hi Everyone,

BERTI- As above