PDA

View Full Version : Any Cat M series Graders operators out there?

roadrunner
03-21-2008, 02:07 AM
I really would like some "neutralized" feedback on these new M graders.Tell the good and the bad of what you like and dislike!
There must be more guys here that run graders or is it just the regulars doing all the posts?:beatsme
Any opinion on this topic is better than no opinion at all!

sdPete
03-21-2008, 12:20 PM
You have already heard from me....but here's a bit more....

Cat send out a field follow engineer the other day accompanied by Jim from Butler in Fargo who among other duties tracks all the M's sold by Butler. About 1000 M's in service now, Jim said no work stopping failures yet, I didn't think to ask if that was the ones sold by Butler or all sold by Cat. A couple issues with cab doors to attend to, new seals and glass fit inspection as some crack the glass. Tier 4 engines likely the only change on the horizon. They have machines running in Canada in COLD weather and performance is fine. Some discussion about going to a colder temp rated hydraulic fluid on machines order with snow arrangement.

They did note initial resistance by seasoned operators to M series machines, too much change. There were also several stories from those same fellows who begrudgingly put in a day on the seat, returned to the shop and swallowed their objections. A few more days and many decided against early retirement. I kind of know the feeling, you get pretty good at running what you've got, then this comes along, what were they thinking? The first days on the seat you go at it with skepticism, find that fatal flaw, tell them to get it right. But after a while it becomes obvious the problem is me, not the machine, they got it right. Be careful what you say, some words don't taste too good when you have to eat them.

1000 M's running, how many of those drivers are on the web, how many of those hang out here, how many of those read but don't post.... There might not be a lot of activity for a while, give it time.

roadrunner
03-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback as always sdPete I appreciate it!
I think every "new" machine has little problems until figured out from service guys just as long as the dealer acknowledges the operators problems and promptly deals with it! I really do hope the M series turns out to be real good for Cat!!---- to give VOLVO some competition!!

Tee Hee!

sdPete;Keep on telling your experiences with your M please when you get time!:) Thanks again... :drinkup

cread
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I just got back from a class on them and I have to say that they are very well thought out. Some little issues here and there but I guess there some around here with over 2500 hrs and still running strong. There are about 90 of them in the Colorado, New Mexico area. The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins. They are awsome if anyone has a chance to play in one do it they are so fun!!!

Paystar
03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I was at Toromont Cat a week ago pricing a 430 backhoe and asked the salesman what he knew about the M series. He said he is getting one in about a week and doesn't have any brochures yet. He said the only complaint he has heard with them is on high speed applications like plowing and roading, the operators are complaining of lots of steering drift, especially when windy. He said they are working on making the steering better. He said they can't be beat though for finish grading.

Eric
03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
LOOK IN THE THREAD CALLED "16m"

d6peg
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I have heard that Cat is coming out with a steering wheel attachment for the new M's. Is this just rumor or has anybody else heard this? I personally would think not.

MKTEF
03-22-2008, 05:51 AM
Stearing wheel?
I've heard rumors they limit the speed over here because the lack of one.(ministery of workinspection)
Where did u hear that? I bet there is something in it!...

WILDCAT
03-23-2008, 06:47 AM
I have seen demonstrations of the new M series grader, and on three separate occassions I have operated the M series grader. My concerns are lack of visibility of the front wheels as well as behind the machine. The application that I use graders in, is placing pavement between curb with tight tollerances for levels. How does the 140M compare to a 140H series 2? (Does the M make the day easier or require more concentration?)

ASPHALT04
03-23-2008, 05:38 PM
:oSorry I can't give any input on this one, I only ran graders from the stone age! G series is as close as I got!:notworthy

roadrunner
03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I was at Toromont Cat a week ago pricing a 430 backhoe and asked the salesman what he knew about the M series. He said he is getting one in about a week and doesn't have any brochures yet. He said the only complaint he has heard with them is on high speed applications like plowing and roading, the operators are complaining of lots of steering drift, especially when windy. He said they are working on making the steering better. He said they can't be beat though for finish grading.

I just got back from a class on them and I have to say that they are very well thought out. Some little issues here and there but I guess there some around here with over 2500 hrs and still running strong. There are about 90 of them in the Colorado, New Mexico area. The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins. They are awsome if anyone has a chance to play in one do it they are so fun!!!

I have not run the M yet but could foresee the steering issue at high speeds or roading being a problem along time ago.The reason I say this is I used to run a "Tanguay" slasher in the bush logging and it had joystick steering.When you roaded it, it was difficult to go in a straight line the faster you went. Mind you it probably was not as good as the new M steering but still run by joystick/hydralic.MKTEF has a Volvo with sticks and steering wheel for Legalized roading.:)
I just cannot see CAT being able to fix this issue unless they also put a wheel in for highspeeding as well!

OilFieldHand
06-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I have run those new M blades for a while now. I road them all the time, once you start to click through the gears the steering becomes retarded. Makes it pretty easy to road the M series. I doubt there will be a steering wheel "attachment"

roadrunner
06-17-2008, 12:34 AM
What do you mean by "retarded"?(like slowed down?):beatsme
Do you just road your machine or do you operate it at high speed using all the functions?:beatsme
How fast can you "road " your M?:beatsme
Have you had any problems with your M?:beatsme

I need to know!Thanks!!:confused:

OilFieldHand
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes, the steering speed slows down as you drive faster. (slower reaction time)

The Highest gear I blade in is about top of 4th or bottom of fifth on straights. I run up on the mountains with drops of up to 250ft on one side of the road.

The M series is just like older graders, It has 6 gears. I have not opened it up all the way being as im on windy roads. Id say the fastest ive gone is about 28-30mph. With no problem at those speeds.

The only problem we have had is one morning it would not start. CAT sent a field tech out to fix the problem. He said that the hot wire to the starter just plugs in, at ours came unplugged. Simple fix but the only problem we have had.

roadrunner
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Just wondering if Cat changed the transmission because all the older ones were 8 forward and 6 reverse.28 -30 mph should be top speed as well, or am I wrong here?

Grader4me
06-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Just wondering if Cat changed the transmission because all the older ones were 8 forward and 6 reverse.28 -30 mph should be top speed as well, or am I wrong here?

The old 1978 Cat 140G that I use to run had 6 forward and 4 reverse.

On edit...This grader is still in service

CAT140H
06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
The CAT 140M has 8 forward speeds and 6 reverse.

12MINE
06-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Arrived wednesday i new 12M 14 foot blade accumulators extra lights radial tyres,first 2 hours this isnt to bad then out onto the road and up the other end of the job.WHAT an expericence,left right left right barrier on one side cars on the other nervous wreck when i got to the other end.Then we do some trim work ya might as well called it bulk earthworks,not up to my usual standard but close enough for today.Day 2 try again cant seem to trim for love or money hate it what the hell have i brought! Day 3 of to another job to trim for curb mind you i did have to road it,went the back way got into 8th and not to bad,trim for curd and spread some rock,things are looking up ,this isnt to bad starting to get a feel for this. Day 4 finish a road off between curb im thinking you are joking,result all done and perfect in less time the my old 12H,still getting used to it,just be gentle with your movements and not heavy handed it is very tiring on the brain box but thats only cause things are in different spots you just have to retrain your head,visibility is just as good as a H they change the cover on the goose neck from what was on the demo 140M much better now and OH YES CAT I want my money back for the inching pedal,its either on or of pain in the but,and would i go back to a H.............NO!:Banghead

Eric
06-19-2008, 08:49 PM
They're pretty sweet once you get the hang of them huh??:drinkup

GPSGrader
06-23-2008, 09:15 PM
I have no problems roading my 12M...now. First 100 miles were a little scary, but now, wide open / full speed. After 900 hours my biggest problem with the machine is transmission shifting. When you're roading up hills you don't need your tractor to go suddenly into 8th gear! Thats what mine does anyway. Shifting between 4th and 5th always has a knock.

I went through a stage of really hating this machine. Now I can tolerate it. Nice and cool inside and more comfortable to run, but I still miss the old controls!

Billy X
06-28-2008, 03:33 AM
I think that the knock between 4th and 5th is because the tranny goes to a different set of clutch packs. Now I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time,but the 12 & 140H I used to drive had the same trouble and that was the reason for it. The M series could be different though.

Eric
06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I like the automatic upshift feature so you don't overspeed the engine.

Wolf
06-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Those old machines have great power and you gotta use your brain to run them. Gotta really think about what's going on with the machine. love em.

Grader4me
07-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Oh my!!:eek: Nice....

Lashlander
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Sweet! Your not going to set fire to this one are you?:eek:

Eric
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
That is sweet! It has a differant cab than the smaller blades, I wonder why??

w4m
03-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I have several hundred hour of operating experience on a 120 M AWD. This is the nicest, easiest to operate machine I have ever had the joy to operate. I used it to blade roads at the wind farms in Tehachapi, CA. Very hilly, steep country. All wheel drive and interlock made it a very heavy earth mover. Had to road it several times on a narrow 2 lane, high traffic highway. Once used to it, the steering is fine. The only problem I had with it, was my fault, if in a stressful situation, I tended to push the left joy stick forward when turning, thus lowering the left side of the blade. But got over that in about a week.
Anyone out there need a good M Series blade operator?

Bluetop Man
03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins.

What this says is CAT put the M Series graders on the market prematurely. CAT has done frequent upgrades of the steering function so far. The company knows many graders are roaded and operated on public streets and highways. Steering control is paramount. There is definitely a product liability issue here in the case of injury. I wouldn't give fifty cents for a new one.
Right now, John Deere has a leg up on CAT graders with a steering wheel option and I suspect Deere is pissing on CAT'S fire hydrant bigtime.

I could say more, but I am also busy working on my Allis Chalmers M100B. Maybe tonight. Several other points have been raised here which require addressing. Chow.

bruce michael
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi w4m,
Does your machine have a switch to shut down all hydraulic controls except steering when you road it? Our 2 140Ms do, and I find it to be a useful feature when roading. Although on my 12H I some times use wheel lean as well as the steering wheel when roading (just a little habit I got into:rolleyes:).

w4m
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Bruce:
Yes is does have the hydraulic shut down switch. And when roading this is a nice safety device.

Bluetop Man
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
It has a hydraulic circuits shutoff switch because if you get knocked around inside the cab while roading or simply by accident hit one of those joy sticks, well....go figure what the outcome could be, especially in traffic.

No steering grader has every had hydraulic shut off before the M Series to my knowledge. It just didn't compute.

In The Beginning, God didn't make little green apples, nor graders w/out steering wheels.

bruce michael
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
It has a hydraulic circuits shutoff switch because if you get knocked around inside the cab while roading or simply by accident hit one of those joy sticks, well....go figure what the outcome could be, especially in traffic.

Very spectacular roading down a bitumen road at night or dusk to see sparks coming from the left hand mouldboard tip.....NOT!:eek:

mattyg
03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi everybody. At work we got a new used 2009 140M and so far i like it. But the question I have is, how do i know if it has the up to date software. They will only have cat come out if I can tell them its not running the most recent programming. I want the check this because we are going to start grading in about a week and I would like to know she is all set. Thanks a bunch. Matt

Nige
03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi everybody. At work we got a new used 2009 140M and so far i like it. But the question I have is, how do i know if it has the up to date software. They will only have cat come out if I can tell them its not running the most recent programming. I want the check this because we are going to start grading in about a week and I would like to know she is all set. Thanks a bunch. MattTell them you are having steering issues (common with early versions of M Series Implement Control software), that should get everyone's attention. The implement software has been upgraded so many times over the past couple of years it makes even the dealers' head spin trying to keep up with the changes. There is an easy way for your management to find information out about software at no cost to the company. Call the local Cat dealer who services your equipment, give them the Serial Number of your 140M and ask them the following question. "Are there any Product Improvement Programs (PIP) of the Safety or Priority classification outstanding on this Serial Number, specifically on ECM software for the Implement Control..?" If the answer is yes the upgrade costs you as the customer nothing because "Uncle Caterpillar" foots the bill. Alternatively PM me your Serial Number and I'll check and let you know.

We received a brand-new 16M about 3 weeks ago and when we checked the installed software we found that Cat had upgraded it since our machine left the factory ......... so the first thing the dealer had to do before the paint got taken off the blade was upgrade the software in all 5 ECM's. This was done under a PIP program, I don't have a copy of it with me right now but I would bet money it is related to all M-series graders and not just 16's.

Ross
03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
The software part number should be Checked. Documented and updated when ever a new flash comes out.

This doesn't happen much these days. Instead people only do this if a service letter comes out.

Every piece of CAT equipment I looked after had the numbers documented and I would look for updates weekly. Then I would implement a program to update. This can cause problems if you have 24 trucks and need to update.

To find the software part number you need to plug in ET or of you have a newer machine the software number & date can be viewed in "System Info"

Steering malfunction can be caused by loads of problems. From worn out steering bearings to pump out put pressure will throw the light on.

Don't know if many have worked on the 24M's ?

mattyg
03-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey guys thanks for getting back to me. I will let the mechanic know so he can call and ask. If that does not go anywhere i will PM yiou the serial number Neige. Thanks again. Matt

Nige
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Matty, when your mechanic calls the dealer have him make sure he asks the question exactly as it's worded above. Asked that way it should ring a few bells with the dealer Service Person at the other end of the phone. Even better have him ask for either the Warranty Administrator or the Technical Communicator.

mattyg
03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Nige, i sent you a pm. i think. hope you get it. Matt

Nige
03-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Received & replied. I think it will be everything you need to make the call to the dealer.

Bluetop Man
03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
It probably goes without saying the joystick steering on M Series graders was developed with GPS steering control in mind. IMHO anyway. Obviously neither CAT nor GPS manufacturers are there yet with the technology, and there are obvious growing pains. This feature would sure be handy in highway construction. True stakeless grading will be a godsend. If they ever get there, and they eventually will, it will surely be a milestone event.

mattyg
03-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Nige was/is a big help getting machine info. Thanks again. Bluetop Man- I agree that the joy sticks could be used for total control of the machine with gps. But I huess I am lucky with job security because almost all the jobs I do are reclaim jobs, and wether its a road or a parking lot the new grades are made up by me.. just make the water move to the catch basin is the name of the game for me. Matt

Per Eriksson
03-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Stakeless grading is already the norm here, you can walk miles along a new road contruction in various stages from cutting down trees to white lines being painted on the asphalt without seeing a single stake, you'll have a hard time getting a hoe or dozer hired on a job here without it having atleast the basic "single" GPS system on it.

During the wintermonths a road over the mountains that often gets big snowdrifts is maintained with a grader that can steer itself with the help of a GPSsystem, useful when the road is completely blown over and the markings are buried, the operator just sit in the seat and hang on for the ride.....

ovrszd
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM
During the wintermonths a road over the mountains that often gets big snowdrifts is maintained with a grader that can steer itself with the help of a GPSsystem, useful when the road is completely blown over and the markings are buried, the operator just sit in the seat and hang on for the ride.....

That would freak me out!!!! Hafta have a lot of faith in the technology.

Reminds me of a day in Vietnam when I as a Grunt was providing flight line security at Da Nang airbase. A group of pilots were talking about new low level auto pilot systems on the then technologically advanced F4 Phantom fighters. They were complaining about how hard it was to not touch the stick when the plane is hauling butt straight toward an upcoming mountain!!!:eek:

sdPete
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
City of Sioux Falls, SD finished year 4 of leasing 24 140M AWD units for snow removal (6 month lease). The comments I have heard on steering relate to less wear on driver thumbs running cul de sacs on the old steering wheel machines. If safety was an issue I doubt the leases would have been renewed.

The 140M AWD in our township runs 23 mph in reverse, sort of handy in snow doing long repetitive wing runs on rural roads. Steering modulates as gears shift up, control is excellent, just keep the road centered in the mirror. Works best for me at night - no traffic - and the field of view is only what the lights illuminate.

smoothoperator
03-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I have one of the '09 Sioux Falls 140M AWD's, and have put about 3200 hours on the meter, and enjoying every minute of it. It's a good way to get into a "like new" machine. I'm guessing that the new crop is probably M2's, which I haven't operated(yet). If you ever get a chance to demo one of the M's, hopefully you will be able to spend some time with a dealers' demo/instruction person before, and while you are trying it out. If you didn't get a chance to use the simulator equipment, you may feel awkward with the joystick controls, especially if you have a large crowd of your co-workers watching, pointing, and laughing. Send them all home, and play with the machine for a few hours, and you may be surprised at how comfortable you get. Back in '08, I used a new JD772D to rebuild 4 miles of road. It was very productive, and I really enjoyed running it. I enjoy running the 140M AWD more, and I'm completely comfortable with the controls.
FYI...This winter I needed to blade and pack some gravel patches over some culvert cutouts, so I hung the rear-mounted packer on my machine, and decided to see how heavy it really was. 52,240 lbs. 140M AWD, dozer/lift, wing, ripper w/packer.

smoothoperator

ryan01
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
i had the opertunity to actually learn on one and there very user friendly of course not finish grading but blading sand and haul road. its pretty easy to get the hang of it couple hours. as someone said before the stearing does get slower at higher speeds and the one i was running had a couple issues one that was proably the worst was randomly you would loose stearing and running up and down windy roads not a very fun feature haha so you would loose your steering and then on ur dash/ display two red steering wheels would light up on both sides of the dash and i would have to shut down and then wait a few min and then fire it up a again n it seemed if you wiggled the steering joystick you could get it back.. could have been a sensor or electical but other then that really nice machine i would recomed to anyone. cheers ryan

Bluetop Man
03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
First, they came out with GPS grade control because operators couldn't finish. Then came joystick steering because the wheel is obsolete. Next comes GPS steering because operators can't steer? :confused:

ovrszd
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
First, they came out with GPS grade control because operators couldn't finish. Then came joystick steering because the wheel is obsolete. Next comes GPS steering because operators can't steer? :confused:

Forty years ago I read an article in Popular Mechanics about futuristic farm equipment. Depicted a farmer sitting in his living room with a control panel and monitor screen. He was controlling his tractor out in the field. We are very, very close to that realistically. A friend of mine farms 25,000 acres using John Deere equipment. His planting, spraying and harvesting equipment all have GPS steer. Let go of the steering wheel and enjoy the ride. When they can perfect the vision of the equipment to detect obstacles in the field there will no longer be a need for an operator onboard. :cool:

blademan150
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
My hat says how I feel about machines on their own!!!!!!

sdPete
03-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Don't knock it until you have tried it. I put a JD autosteer unit in the combine last fall and all drivers said WOW. We have run steering wheel combines since they were invented. It has nothing to do with ability to steer. The reduction in fatigue is hard to grasp without first hand experience. And that after the farm equipment folks figured out how to make a soybean platform hold itself close to the ground automatically, just push the button and let the hydraulics do the work.

Nige
03-30-2012, 03:56 PM
In our mining application where operators run 12-hours shifts day-in day-out it's all about minimzing fatigue and keeping the operator productive for longer. Nothing to do with "dumbing down" the machine IMHO .........

ovrszd
04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Don't knock it until you have tried it. I put a JD autosteer unit in the combine last fall and all drivers said WOW. We have run steering wheel combines since they were invented. It has nothing to do with ability to steer. The reduction in fatigue is hard to grasp without first hand experience. And that after the farm equipment folks figured out how to make a soybean platform hold itself close to the ground automatically, just push the button and let the hydraulics do the work.

I was grading today along a field that my friend owns and was planting. He's using a huge center pivot John Deere tractor with duals and a 24 row planter. The planter has markers but they were both folded. As I approached the driver was turning at the road and heading back across the field away from me. After he made the turn he let go of the steering wheel and stretched both arms up over his head to relieve a little back pain I'm guessing. Let's see, I'll do the math, 24 rows, 15" spacing, that's a 30ft planter. The GPS guidance is accurate enough to properly leave a 15" space between the last pass and the new pass with no physical marker. Accurate enough a combine can shell that corn without knocking any down. Absolutely amazing. Certainly has nothing to do with a lack of operator ability. Doug says his planter will shut off one row at a time when doing point rows with no seed overlap. If manually controlled it would be impossible to accurately do that on a 30ft wide planter. He figures the GPS pays for itself thru seed and chemical savings alone. :cool:

If there's any dumbing down of operators involved it would be me. I'd be too dumb to work the electronics for initial setup in each field. So maybe I'm the dumb one. :rolleyes:

Catskinner21
04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey guys new to this forum. I have only ran a blade for about the last two years off and on. I am now running a 14 m full time on a highway project. Which is my preference of work. I've had no problems with the m since I have been around them I enjoy some of the features on the m such as articulate steering and blade controls are in your hands at all times. To me it makes it easier to work around objects. I still prefer the later g or early h but the fact is they are becoming obsolete on these larger highway projects. Company's update there fleet every couple years and they are selling the few remaining h's they have left. I have been around some greats hands over the last ten plus years I have worked construction. So I enjoy coming to the forum and hear from some of u old timers so to speak. Keep it up guys thanks

Bluetop Man
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Tell us, catskinner, since you are relatively new at this, do the front wheels track steady on the older machines, and are you constantly having to manipulate the steering joystick to stay on course with the M? It's just a thing I notice with M operators. They maybe good operators, but the machines suck overeall, especially in the steering department.

Catskinner21
04-19-2012, 11:19 PM
It is just like the wheel. If u don't move the stick it won't turn. But if u barley move stick the tires barely move they don't keep turning they stay posititioned with the joystick. I've gotten used to it now. Takes time to get a feel for it but when ya do it's the same as a wheel . And I actually can't comPlain about the m I'm on now. The hydraulics are slower then some of the other ms I have ran. So far its been a tool.

Catskinner21
04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Who do you work for Bluetop? I see your from lousy Anna lol just curious cause we have done a few highways around ruston and shreveport.

Nige
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
It is just like the wheel. If u don't move the stick it won't turn. But if u barley move stick the tires barely move they don't keep turning they stay posititioned with the joystick. I've gotten used to it now. Takes time to get a feel for it but when ya do it's the same as a wheel . And I actually can't comPlain about the m I'm on now. The hydraulics are slower then some of the other ms I have ran. So far its been a tool.The hydraulics on the M series can be "tuned" to increase or decrease the sensivity of the controls. Maybe the one you're on now has been "dialled back" because someone thought it was a bit too sensitive...?

Bluetop Man
04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
catskinner,

I don't work anymore, just stay down on the farm. I got tired of working on jobs I should have been running. I was overweight, blood pressure was in the stroke zone, eyes were getting worse and all the highway work hereabouts was built out. Now my biggest problem is whether to take the flat bottom to the river, or the v-bottom to the lake. :drinkup

Besides, it just wasn't the same after T.L. James sold out to Angelo Iafrate. WTF, I reckon.

Catskinner21
04-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Since you worked for tl James? Do you know Fred may he is a super with James group formerly tl James he been with em for years?I worked with them on 49 in gilliam for a while!

Bluetop Man
04-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I met Fred once. I want to say he moved on the J.B. James Co., headed by T.L.'s grandson Jeff.

My crowd was more back in the day: John Garret, Bodie McNeil, Prentiss Young, Owen Guillot, Junior Young.

It's just so much long forgotten history now.

Back then, when somebody said they were a motor patrol operator, the question was, "Well, can he cut the paint off, or does he have to leave it on the hubs?"

vapor300
04-21-2012, 04:30 PM
how is the james group doing with there jobs on 49??? They came in there out of no where and but some bids in out of no where

vapor300
04-21-2012, 04:35 PM
if you have a hard time keeping the machine strait its because you have a grip on the joy stick, try running it with just ur finger tips. The M's controls are so sensitive that it seems like when you run it with a full grip on the controls you always over correct

Grader4me
04-21-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree with you vapor300...no death grip...get ya everytime..lol

Catskinner21
04-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Oh ok Bluetop I didn't knOw them old hands but I know that outfit got er done if those days. Vapor the job that tied into y'all there is almost complete we moved the dirt the first summer which was a year ahead of schedule . As for the other jobs south of 170 I dont think they've gotten far. Hey blue top James is not a bad company now. They bounced back after the Angelo ordeal. I enjoyed working for them but I left to chase money. Lol and closer to home

Hopuser
04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Well we got our 14M this week,
The simulator had been here for a month and been playing with it for a while! Operation of the machine is a lot easier then the simulator. I was worried about the change but wow its a pleasure to run. I was used to our old 14H and the slop in the pins and blade. getting used to how tight the machine is and the positive controls. The only problem was the people that bought the machine put a 16 foot moleboard on the 14 and its too tight for our road. Tha being said we now have to wait for a new blade. But I love it! I look really good in new iron. Will post a pic or video later.

Cat 140M AWD
05-31-2012, 10:55 AM
What do you mean by "retarded"?(like slowed down?):beatsme
Do you just road your machine or do you operate it at high speed using all the functions?:beatsme
How fast can you "road " your M?:beatsme
Have you had any problems with your M?:beatsme

I need to know!Thanks!!:confused:

roadrunner ive operated a M for 2 yrs now and love it can drive down road 29Mph no problem i also plow snow with them at 17 mph with plow and wing and no problems its way easier then the h

Cooper110
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
one

dswaner
03-29-2013, 10:35 PM
I really would like some "neutralized" feedback on these new M graders.Tell the good and the bad of what you like and dislike!
There must be more guys here that run graders or is it just the regulars doing all the posts?:beatsme
Any opinion on this topic is better than no opinion at all!

I have about 200 hrs on the 160M cat grader. i have been operating cat graders for 35 years. some of my likes are: quiet cab,good FM radio, powerful engine, adjustable implement control, right hand switch panel, push button diff lock, and quick forward and reversing. Forward blade visabilty is very good. My dislikes are: cab posts inhibit left and right vision at busy intersections, poor rear visabilty don't bother turning your head to look back. forward visabilty some what limited, cannot see what the front tires are going to run over. Windows fog really bad in rain, snow conditons the one small vent on the upper left is not enough, fan helps. The biggest dislike of all is what I call the liquid steering system. At slow speeds you can't steer straight to save your butt. All hydraulic systems stop moving when you release the lever (joystick). Bump the steering joy stick left or right and wheels will continue moving even after you completely let go. I am getting better at steering , but it is really distracting.

Aussie Leroy
03-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Just hired one 12M for a week on another job quite impressed, i would have sooner run a 140M maybe next time. cheers Leroy

Bluetop Man
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
<<<The biggest dislike of all is what I call the liquid steering system.>>>

I knew it. Reprogram the brew for immediate improvement in all systems ops.

http://www.fostersbeer.com/

:drinkup

teamlayton
04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
I have operated them for 2 years now.The big thing I don't like when you stall out have to reset park brake nothing will work.So if you stall going up a hill plowing snow,she stalls out your sliding back down just along for the ride.

Turf1
04-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I have operated them for 2 years now.The big thing I don't like when you stall out have to reset park brake nothing will work.So if you stall going up a hill plowing snow,she stalls out your sliding back down just along for the ride. I have over 4000 hrs. on this awesome machine, the ONLY issue I have is be careful not to stall it pulling out into traffic or over railroads and such, you are right teamlayton,take it out of forward or reverse...set parking brake, turn off key (read a book) and then restart.