PDA

View Full Version : D3B owners/operators

ghak99
03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm looking at an '88 D3B LGP with the triangle pads and a 6 way as a small farm machine.

I'm looking to clean up a lot of small 4-6" pasture brush 8" at the max, smooth off some berm work around waterways, and do a little maintenance on WRP and farm ground.

Is there anything in particular to look out for on these machines? Anyone think it's too small? It won't really be moved much, but I was looking to stay small enough to move it with the truck and trailer when it does need moved.

Any thoughts or opinions on these machines would be much appreciated.

Kgmz
03-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Are you sure its a 1988 or a B model. We have a 1988 D3C LGP and I thought they quit making the B models in 1987.

Other than the basic things to check like the tracks, rails, rollers, sprockets. And the engine starts easy without a lot of smoke, etc. when cold. Check how it drives through each gear forward and revers, and how well it steers. These dozers have steering clutches that can be worn out or need adjusting.

We lost the motor in our D3C last year and I bought a new D3G to replace it. I put in a new remanufactured motor in the C and was planning on selling it. But I thought about it and since we just put on new tracks, rails and sprockets before the motor went. I decided to keep it for awhile and get my moneys worth out of it.

And I still really like that dozer, it is a better finish dozer than the G. Mainly because of that wide 10 ft. blade. And there are times I think it pushes better than the hydrostatic drive G model.

And if it is mechanically sound it will work great for what you want to do. It may take a just a little bit longer but will be better on fuel than a larger dozer. We have used ours on some big land clearing projects and it has worked fine, but we weren't moving a tremendous amount of dirt just clearing the brush and trees, etc. And there were some cut and fills of about 8 ft, in height, and it was worked just fine.

Also when you check those tracks, those pyramid pads can be kind of deceiving. They can look all right at a glance, but they can be paper thin at the tops. Eventually they will wear holes through the top of the pyramid. Which is what ours finally did and I when I replaced them I got the normal looking flat pads.

SouthOnBeach
03-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Kgmz said the basics already, tracks, rollers...ect...

we have a D3B with pyramid pads also. only thing i have noticed that you need to be carefull of is gettin stuff stuck in between the pads. i just keep an eye out for roots and stuff, once and a great while i need to stop and knock something out. the other thing is being carefull on rock as with any LGP machine so you don't bend the pads.

if you have soft dirt or mud you'll love the pyramid pads.

i don't think its too small. just gotta take your time with it.

ghak99
03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
After reading your post I had to check the numbers to be sure.

You're correct, according to the cat book we messed with they showed making the regular D3B LGP from '79 to '87. The serial on this dozer checks out to be a D3B LGP(28Y)....I have no clue what the 28Y is??? The book showed making the D3B LGP(28Y) from '79-'88 with 37 of the (28Y) versions in '88.

We are playing with it in the pastures on demo right now and it looks like the 10' blade will be real nice when you need it. Everything feels good and looks good so it's bound to implode if/when we buy it.;)

Countryboy
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ghak99! :drinkup

ghak99
03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums ghak99! :drinkup

Thanks for the welcome!

Looks like there is a lot of good information here and I wish I would have found it a long time ago.

Construct'O
03-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Seeing your from Mo. try checking with Cooke Sales,they had several small dozers listed in a local cassified paper that was sent out.Good luck with your machine choice.:usa

ghak99
03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Seeing your from Mo. try checking with Cooke Sales,they had several small dozers listed in a local cassified paper that was sent out.Good luck with your machine choice.:usa

A close family member just happens to be Oscar Cooke's secretary.;)

This machine came from there.