PDA

View Full Version : 660/666 Cat Scraper info

Gavin84w
12-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Can anybody confirm if there are any of these scrapers still working in California or any where else for that matter.

Would be great to see some pics posted and stories on these great old scoops.

wethead
12-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Can anybody confirm if there are any of these scrapers still working in California or any where else for that matter.

Would be great to see some pics posted and stories on these great old scoops.

I would like to also see if there were some good stoires and pictures floating around.

The older , and larger machines are always cool to look at for sure.

JDOFMEMI
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Gavin

Yes, There are still some of these working here in SoCal. I do not know if any 666's are still here, Some got shipped out to Wyoming a year or two ago, but there are 660's still hauling dirt around here. I know ACI has a fleet of them, and they are working a few miles from me in the Sun City area. If I am near there in daylight hours I will try to get you some pictures. I think all of them that ACI has have been repowered for emissions reasons here in CA. They repowered with 60 series Detroit Diesel engines, and they are running strong. I know that Ralph Mitzel has a fleet of 660B models, and they are kept up in good condition. I am not sure where they are currently. There were a few others that had them, but I am unsure if they are still running, or even intact.

Good Day

Deas Plant
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi, Gavin84W.
I'd be surprised if Roy Davis - Earthpro - isn't still running his remaining pair around Brisbane and SE Queensland. They are from the original 6 that Thiess brought in back in, I think, the late 1960's. Roy had 5 of them - the other was totalled many years ago - he sold 2, cannabalised 1 and kept his remaining 2 running.

Hope this helps.

surfer-joe
12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
There are several, that have been used on Highway 60 north of Wickenburg, Arizona, still sitting in the contractors yard not too far south of I-40. They are in tough shape and I'd say maybe only one or two are capable of running.

I used a 660 tractor just north of Fresno in 1997 to pull a BeeGee on new construction for Highway 41 over the river. It swollowed an exhaust valve and the trans was about all done too. Swapped it out for a Challenger 85D and that was a much better arrangement. It had a nice air-conditioned cab where the 660 didn't have anything.

The old Washington Construction Company of Missoula had a huge fleet of 660/666's at one time. (That's where the 660 & BeeGee in Fresno came from) Their boneyard behind Modern Machinery's shop in Missoula, Montana may still have a number of them slowly being picked apart.

Zachry Construction in San Antonio had a large number of them as well years ago (1970's). I ran a 666 of theirs for a few days on a job south of town along the river, just off Loop 410.

I can't say I'm sorry to see the old bastards go. They were hot, noisy, difficult to use and uncomfortable at any speed.

637slayer
12-27-2007, 05:23 PM
the company i broke out with had 7 or 8 triple 6s i never seen them, after my first year on a scraper 631c, i graduated up to the 641s and 51s, thinking i was hot **** bragging about how much dirt we moved or how many loads we had the old frogs would have to put me in my place, usually with old stories about 666s, how much more dirt they hauled or how fast they went ide listen to those guys for hours or until we got kicked out of the bar. ide love to see pics of 666 working.

Gavin84w
12-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Deas, i know 2 of the HVE 660 from the Hunter Valley have just gone to Brisbane in the last 6 months and have been put to work in a brick pit? i believe, could have gone to join the group you speek of.

DirtHauler
12-29-2007, 04:10 AM
I would like to also see if there were some good stoires and pictures floating around.

The older , and larger machines are always cool to look at for sure.
Great artical on the 666
http://www.contrafedpublishing.co.nz/Historical/Classic+Motorscrapers/The+Caterpillar+666.html

Found some photos on photobucket

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/10/ssmullens666wyobu5.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7223/ssmullen6661yq2.jpg

http://www.baggermodelle.ch/service/Cat_666.jpeg

637slayer
12-29-2007, 04:43 AM
great prics, were the first two the same machines? how big of a dozer was pushing the last one?

Deas Plant
12-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi, 637Slayer.
I suspect that the GRUNT supply in that last photo might be a Cat D10T.

alan627b
12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
There is a discussion going on on the ACMOC BB currently, these pics were posted there too. It was said the push dozers were Hough D500's, if I recall correctly. All the machines were new at the time.
SS Mullen Company, Gas Hills Wyoming. 7 New 666's. Circa 1968.
If you go to http://www.Machinerytrader.com, go to Caterpillar equipment, and click on the model number, it will show pics of a number of units for sale currently in AZ and Nevada, including a 632 and 650 at National Hardware Supply in Madera, Ca.
I saw the 650 2 years ago when I visited there on vacation, a decent unit. Price reduced to only $13000! Prime yard art!
Gotta love the 6 wheelers!
link to ACMOC
http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=821
alan627b

637slayer
12-29-2007, 11:39 PM
my dad worked in the gaS HILLs for awhile great stories not too many pictures, i have friends over there reclaiming right now.

JDOFMEMI
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I made it out today by the 660 spread. They weren't working (darn) and I could not get too close in my car (truck broke down) but I did get a few pictures of them parked. I seen at least 14 660's and some 651E's, as well as D-10's and other support equipment. This is all ACI equipment, and it looks like they have a couple million or so yards to move. I did not see the SS-40's here. The previous phase they were here along with the 660's.

JDOFMEMI
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
A few more of the spread

Deas Plant
01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi, JDOFMEMI.
Good shots under trying conditions. Thanks for sharing. So somebody at least is still running the big jiggers. Good stuff.

Did the ground shake just thinking about all that heavy metal running around on that site? LOL

Thanks again.

Gavin84w
01-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Oh yeh, great shots indeed thanks for taking the time. At first i thought a lot of engine work with all the mufflers on the ROPS, but i recall mention that there had been repowers so hence the muffler relocation but if you look closely there are a number of bonnets off !! JDOFMEMI is it possible to get contact details for ACI? and can you give some more pics if you get the chance!

Would make an awsome sight seeing that fleet move the dirt.

surfer-joe
01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Funny thing. Most of the machines I took pictures of in Arizona last summer were in the same positions, i.e., hoods off, mufflers lying on top of the ROPS. But thinking back over the years, this was not unusual with these models. They had a huge amount of head and turbocharger problems, some of the reasons Cat went to the 90 degree version engine. The problems didn't really stop with later models either, the newer engine continued to be troublesome right to the last.

Construct'O
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
An outfit that i worked for around 1970 named Van Buskirk of Sioux City ,Iowa had about six-660.We were working on I-29 south of Omaha,Neb. Iowa side of the MO. river.

The barrow pits was right on the river bottom and they had 3 -8 inch pumps running day and night.There was over thirty scraper hauling out of the pits.The pumps couldn't keep up with the scraper and as the day went by ,more water was coming in then out.

Before the day was over there would be over two feet of water that we were trying to lot the sand out of.You would have to keep looked over toward the barrow pits banks to tell if you was moving when the 9's was pushing you.You would have as many as 4 to 5 9's pushing at once.Usually 2 D9G's and the others we old torquer 9's (19 series)??

The sand was hard to load with out speed.You just had to keep try pumping it in(raising and lowering the pan).When the water got real bad it was harder.You would at times have about as much water in the scraper as sand.

They had a hole over to the one end of the pit that they dug with a dragline to set the pumps in.We would start working in the moring next to the hole,cutting it lower there and work our way out from it trying to keep the bottom graded back to the hole for the water to drain back there and not out where we were working.Worked for a while ,but water was coming up to fast for the pumps to keep up.

As for the 660 turbo and heads and so fore i know about that.I was coming out of the pit and the turbo came apart was first thought.Pieces throw.I told the mechanic:Pointhead that there was some good sized piece.

They replaced just the turbo, smoking terrible and no power.Long story! They tore it apart again thinking it was the head.Replaced one head.Instead of taking off both.Wrong head.Still smoking no power.They said run it.So i did.:cool:

Finally the valve in the bad head went down through the piston.Needless to say it sat there for a long time after that.Memory lane !!!!!:drinkup :usa

Ray Welsh
01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
An outfit that i worked for around 1970 named Van Buskirk of Sioux City ,Iowa had about six-660.We were working on I-29 south of Omaha,Neb. Iowa side of the MO. river.

The barrow pits was right on the river bottom and they had 3 -8 inch pumps running day and night.There was over thirty scraper hauling out of the pits.The pumps couldn't keep up with the scraper and as the day went by ,more water was coming in then out.

Before the day was over there would be over two feet of water that we were trying to lot the sand out of.You would have to keep looked over toward the barrow pits banks to tell if you was moving when the 9's was pushing you.You would have as many as 4 to 5 9's pushing at once.Usually 2 D9G's and the others we old torquer 9's (19 series)??

The sand was hard to load with out speed.You just had to keep try pumping it in(raising and lowering the pan).When the water got real bad it was harder.You would at times have about as much water in the scraper as sand.

They had a hole over to the one end of the pit that they dug with a dragline to set the pumps in.We would start working in the moring next to the hole,cutting it lower there and work our way out from it trying to keep the bottom graded back to the hole for the water to drain back there and not out where we were working.Worked for a while ,but water was coming up to fast for the pumps to keep up.

As for the 660 turbo and heads and so fore i know about that.I was coming out of the pit and the turbo came apart was first thought.Pieces throw.I told the mechanic:Pointhead that there was some good sized piece.

They replaced just the turbo, smoking terrible and no power.Long story! They tore it apart again thinking it was the head.Replaced one head.Instead of taking off both.Wrong head.Still smoking no power.They said run it.So i did.:cool:

Finally the valve in the bad head went down through the piston.Needless to say it sat there for a long time after that.Memory lane !!!!!:drinkup :usa

Great to see the pics of that massive old iron. Did anyone know that the US air force uses more fuel than earthmovers each day?? And they are just practising!! At least you blokes are building something, not planning to destroy it............Ray

JDOFMEMI
01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Joe

The hoods are always off of most of these machines. I think they got tired of trying to keep them together. The mufflers have been permanantly moved to the top of the ROPS. Most if not all of these 660's have been repowered with Tier 2 Detroit Diesel 60 series. They are much more reliable now, and no more smoke.

Gavin

You were right about the repower bit. I am guessing about the hoods, or bonnets as you call them.

I will see if I can come up with any contact information. They are a very low profile company, no advertising, no names on anything, other than the minimum required by law, no flash at all. The company does all its work by word of mouth, and a 60+ year reputation. They have a spread of SS-40 Eucs that the company bought new in the 50's, and they still run on many jobs. It seems strange that there is not more info about one of the largest dirt movers in California. I know they have over 400 pieces, and of that, at least 200 scrapers, according to one of their mechanics I know. It is a diverse fleet, SS-40's, 660's, 651B and E, 657B and E, TS-24B, and I'm not sure what else.
I have seen them in action, and they really make the dirt move. I watched some of the earlier phase of the same project. There were at least 4 cuts going at once. 20 or so 657's push pulling in twodifferent cuts, 10 660's with two pairs of D-10N pushcats in another, and 8 or 10 SS-40's with two more pair of D-10N's. All told, I think they were moving over 100,000 cy per day. Pretty impressive.

Gavin84w
01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Surfer Joe, so where are the pics and stories??!!!!!!!

9420pullpan
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
this is my favorite pic of 666

Gavin84w
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Is the D10T/666 pic from a book, looks like it was scanned from one which by the look of that pic it would be a good book.

637slayer
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
those 51es look like something the company i used to work for would do, the a/c quit working so you take the door off, or just cut the a/c belt right away then the operator would never know what hes missing.

Mr Euclid
01-07-2008, 05:48 AM
A few more pictures of 666's. These are all in California and I think they were owned by Independent Construction.

These are not my photos I got them awhile ago from the photo galleries on the DHS Diecast site.

Mr Euclid
01-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Two more including a better version of the D10T photo.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3075/ursyp8.gif

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8449/6661copyfg7.jpg

Countryboy
01-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Mr Euclid! :drinkup

JDOFMEMI
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I was driving the other day and got behind 2 of ACI's 660's on the move to another job somewhere. I got a few pics of them on lowboys. 1 was on a 9 axle Murray, the other had the tractor on a 5 axle Murray, while the scraper was on a 16 wheel basket. Sorry for the poor pics, but it was the best I could do while driving:eek:

Also, there are 10 660's for sale at the upcoming Las Vegas area Ritchie Brothers auction. They have some pictures on their website if anyone is interested.
Just go to equipment search for Henderson NV auction, then click scrapers

Construct'O
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Great pictures while driving!!!!!!!!:notworthy

Some of them looked like it would have been fun getting them loaded on the trailers to get them moved.

Now thats what you call overload(oversized) machine.Thanks for sharing:drinkup:usa

bushcat
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Great pics, looks nice and warm there too!

JDOFMEMI
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Great pics, looks nice and warm there too!

Its terrible. All the way down in the 40's this morning. I almost had to put on a jacket:D

alan627b
03-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Link to the RB Auction
http://www.rbauction.com/form_redirect.jsp?eq_keyword=scrapers&submit_keyword_search=Search&submit_keyword_search=keywordsearch
Some of the machines are located 40 miles North of Wickenburg AZ
Hwy 93 Mile marker 161 on W. side of highway.
I noticed they weren't on Machinery Trader any more.
The 650 up in Madera was sold for $11000.00 Biggest toy in the sandbox!
Since I'm currently on Vacation in Phoenix, I think a road trip is in order....
Stay tuned....
alan627b

surfer-joe
11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Ah yes, I did make a mistake in my post of January 4th. I meant to indicate that Cat switched from the 90 degree D346, to the 60 degree D346 model in the 641/651B and 657B scrapers. It had many of the same problems however.

I checked Washington's boneyard in Missoula this summer. All the big iron is nearly or completely gone. The yard is also much reduced in size. The 660's that were north of Wickenburg are also gone, I know not where.

alan627b
11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I got an auction list from Ritchie Brothers listing sale prices for all the machines they auctioned in the last year....the most expensive of those
660/666's sold for only $14,000...how the might have fallen.
Any board members in Tennessee that could check on these units?
http://www.impact-enterprises.com/1320.htm
Alan627b

Dug Overburden
11-09-2008, 12:13 AM
These machine's were common at one time in So Cal. Many contractors had large fleets of these. These machines in the right application could move a tremendous amount of material. Most were pushed by tandem D9G's & in later years single 76X D10's & tandem Komatsu D375A's. Company's that I know of were McCoy Const Co,Tutor Saliba,Ebenstiner Co.,C.A Rasmussen Inc, Kirst Const & Carver Corp. I never saw any 666B's, all were 666A'a (64H & 77F)

Must have been 40-50 around, although some were probabaly the same one's changing hands. Most of these were retired or sold off by the late 1980's. I know Tutor Saliba held on to theirs untill 2000 & sold them at a Ritchie Bros sale in Perris Ca. I think Dennis McCoy and sons had the last fleet running in SoCal, I saw them in 2003,don't know where they went to. I think Independant Const in Corcord Ca still has some active 666B's if anyone can confirm that chime in.

As a side note, many of these machines were seperated & hooked to bege drag scrapers.

For those of you that don't know the term "SoCal" it's a slang for Southern California.

Dug Overburden
11-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Someone ask if there are any 660's still running. Most are parked right now due to slowdown in const in SoCal. I think ACI has about 25 of the 660B's & about a dozen Euclid SS40's. They are sitting in thier yard in Corona Ca. They are the same machines that Jerry posted pictures of. If you want to see them it is hard to close enough to view.

Gavin84w
11-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey Dug, sounds like you have been priviledged to see the big 3 axles in action at some time. I think you are right in that some machines changed hands. I was supplied a series of pics of Tutor Salibu machines from a bypass job and i also have a pic of an Independent Construction 666 and if you look real hard down the side of the bowl are the very same indentations from where a corner tip had been dragged down it in both pics.

You just wonder where some of these big old girls now are, sure many likely scrapped but it is always a treat to find some. Down here you can count how many were around on 2 hands and that is it, we are lucky that 1 guy still uses them and no EPA laws to hold em back!

To this day i believe if the current maintenance methods were adopted and the machines kept in good order they would still do an honest days work and not require a rocket scientist with his laptop to fix.

Take the 8 speed transmission for example, how many times has a shifting problem with these been rectified by pulling that humongous stack of valves apart and cleaning them and then refitting and all is new again, with todays better oils and much greater focus on cleanliness these trannies would likely benefit a lot.

Anyway good to see the thread still has something left in it, much like the machines discussed it seems

Kenny R
11-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Here are a few pics of McCoy's I was able to shoot just this last Wednesday, these are their last 2, they completely torched their 666B for parts and to sell as Iron...sad sight to see all the parts all scattered around:crying

stretch
11-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I was looking at Peterson Tractor's site yesterday and it noted that 24 660's (20 bottom-dumps and 4 scrapers) worked for Oman Construction on the Oroville Dam project. What happened to them after the project was completed?

992G
11-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Here are a few pics of McCoy's I was able to shoot just this last Wednesday, these are their last 2, they completely torched their 666B for parts and to sell as Iron...sad sight to see all the parts all scattered around:crying

I had seen on McCoy's website that they do work in Wyoming. The picture shows some 660's and a D11. Wonder if they have some more there still?

Mass-X
11-09-2008, 10:53 AM
McCoy & Sons had 660's and some 666's working in Gillette, Wyoming in 2004. It was a big spread of about 11 or 12 660's, all with 24" or 30" sideboards. They were being pushed by a D11R and a D10R. The machines were working right along side a 657E spread. It was impressive to watch such old machines working in such a high performance setting and performing so well.

The 666's McCoy had were a CAT Custom Product badged 666EB. The "EB" standing for "extended bowl." They had a 25" deeper can than a standard 666, with the necessary lengthened ejector cylinder to compensate. The machines had been ordered by Union Carbide Corporation in the mid 1960's to work in Shirley Basin Wyoming on some of the huge uranium mines that were opening at the time. They were pushed by quad D9H's. Dirt contracts were 1-2 million cubic yards/month for many of the mines, and the scrapers at the time simply needed more capacity, resulting in the trial run of the 666EB. Due to the nature of the stripping and oberburden removal in uranium mines, extracting pockets of uranium at specific grades, draglines couldn't strip accurately enough so scrapers were the backbone of the operations. I was told, that at one time more than half of all the 660's and 666's produced were in Shirley Basin and the Gas Hills of Wyoming during the uranium boom.

I'd been told from a push-cat hand I know who works for McCoy that their 660's were parked in 2006 due to parts availability. They were replaced with 651E's.

All the iron should hit the auction block soon. McCoy & Sons filed chapter 11 three weeks ago.

surfer-joe
11-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I think Wyoming contractors all have their own revolving door at the local bankruptcy court. I know of several that went out in the seventies, and all are still in business today.

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I am going to post these pics again...these 666's pics were sent to me by a machinery dealer, who told me they were sold to Tutor-Saliba. Notice the date on the pics is 1998. If you have ever seen the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds, during the chase scene Nicholas Cage almost runs into a Cat 3 axle scraper at a shipyard. I'll bet one of these is a movie star, since the odds are good that there weren't too many freshly painted 666's with the new style decals and stripes floating around the state of California....
Anyway, here they are.

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Another 5 pics

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Even more!

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Still more! Bored yet?

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Last ones. :beatsme
I know a Dupont overhaul can hide a lot, some of these are missing hoods, for instance...but I'll bet these were some of the better maintained units out there, they sure look to be straight and clean in appearance.
Wonder how many are left out there....
alan627b

alan627b
11-10-2008, 01:43 PM
if you need scraper parts, I found this site last night...
http://www.scraperfloors.com/

alan627b
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Robbed these from a post on the DHS Diecast forum, apparently these are on the east coast somewhere....
650/660 bottom dumps....

stretch
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
One of the new members posted those here too. They belong to James D. Morrissey of Philly who runs quite a large fleet of both vintage and newer equipment.

alan627b
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
I certainly didn't mean to steal his thunder, I didn't know they were posted here onb the board already. I'm just fascinated by the 3 axle scrapers, and hope to actually see one operating some day. or better yet, operate it....
alan627b

alan627b
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I certainly didn't mean to steal his thunder, I didn't know they were posted here on the board already. I'm just fascinated by the 3 axle scrapers, and hope to actually see one operating some day. or better yet, operate it....
alan627b

Gavin84w
11-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Alan, i have some of that series of pics and have always wondered if this was in Australia as the trees look very much like a yard i know, guess not if they went to Tutor Salibu. I have some pics of TS 666 on a job and then have another pic of Independent 666 and when you look close at the mark on the side of the bowl from an errant dozer corner tip you can tell it is the same machine.

Dug Overburden
11-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Nice to see the shots of the Cat 666's in Tutuor Salibas yard. These were taken before the Ritchie Bros sale. This yard is in Fontana Ca. To set the info straight, from what I have gathered. The job that Gavin mentioned as the "bypass" job was the last job these machine's worked on. It was on hwy 101 called the Redwood park bypass in Northern Ca. I think sometime in the late 80's or early 90's.The machine's were moved off the job and into Tutor Salibas yard and sat.

They use to run add's in the equipment trader publications and I recall seeing these listed. As they liquidated thier earthmoving equipment slowy these finally ended up at the Ritchie Bros sale in Perris Ca on 6-06-00. I have some older saved Ritchie Bros color flyers and there were (7) ser#'s 64H228, 64H224 ,64H217, 64H181, 64H117, 64H175, 64H150. Don't know where they went after that, maybe to Dennis McCoy & sons?

It's nice to know so many actually liked these machines, they will be talked about for a long time.

Dug Overburden
11-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I was chewing the scraper fat with a old timer many years a go & was mentioned that Granite Const Co bought the last batch of 660B's off the line. The year was was around 1977 & about 10-12 of them. Suppose to have ended up on thier last job on job in west Texas mid 90's.

Caterpillar list 1978 as the last year of production. Any serial number counters out thier happen to know how many were built? Both "A" & "B" models, might be a little hard to get an exact idea as Cat used the same serial number prefix on all the tractors weather they were hooked to a 650,660,666 scraper or as a tractor to pull a trailer from an allied manufactuer. I had an older issue of the HCEA that had a complete list of all the large scrapers built from 1962 to 1984 but can not seem to find it. I'm sure there is a serial number guide out there with it.

Who can claim the fame as the worlds 660 expert?

bruce oz
11-11-2008, 05:44 AM
hello i can help with number only up to 1969,bruce oz

bruce oz
11-11-2008, 06:41 AM
ok found some more ,bruce oz

bruce oz
11-11-2008, 06:44 AM
more ,bruce oz

Construct'O
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
My brothers and i use to run the 660 for Van Buskirt, Sioux City Ia.We worked on I 29 south of Omaha.Before that they used them when they built the Rauthburn Dam at Centerville ,Ia.

Green Construction also had machines when they built the last stage of the Saylorville Dam,north of Des Moines Ia.

My brother worked for an outfit in Oklahoma around 1968,that had a bunch of 666.I beleive they were Amos Construction Co. Has anyone heard of them.

At that time there were also several around the Dallas/FT. Worth area working on the turnpike/freeway.Also extending the airport runway.:usa

hktom
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Yup, 660B's are alive and working at ACI in Santa Clarita. There are 11 scrapers on the job with 8 working a 6 minute haul. We never get out of 5th gear as there is a bridge that must be crossed in 2nd gear. They all have been re-engined with 60 series Detroits and most have working retarders and Jake Brakes. The Jakes are almost worthless except empty at a low speed. A few, including the one I am running actually have brakes and decent riding air seats!! It is not a bad rig and it is a blast from the past to be operating a 3 axle rig again. A trip down memory lane.

stepp3360
11-11-2008, 05:44 PM
hktom,
How about some pictures!!
Thanks,
john

hktom
11-11-2008, 05:58 PM
John,
I have some pictures and will take some more in the next day or two, but, I do not know how to post them yet! As soon as I figure out how to do so, I will. We are double pushing with D10N's. BIG LOADS, and we should be there for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Dozerboy
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
There is a thread on how post pics Here (http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2284) don't worry about resizing them the site will now do it for you. If you still have problems one of us will be happy to do it for you.

992G
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Yup, 660B's are alive and working at ACI in Santa Clarita. There are 11 scrapers on the job with 8 working a 6 minute haul. We never get out of 5th gear as there is a bridge that must be crossed in 2nd gear. They all have been re-engined with 60 series Detroits and most have working retarders and Jake Brakes. The Jakes are almost worthless except empty at a low speed. A few, including the one I am running actually have brakes and decent riding air seats!! It is not a bad rig and it is a blast from the past to be operating a 3 axle rig again. A trip down memory lane.

Where actually are they in Santa Clarita? I am going to be in the LA area next week and would like to get some pics if possibly.
Thanks

alan627b
11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Darth says...

Take your time, get good ones. Don't worry about quantities, we like LOTS of them!
Glad to have you aboard....
Alan627b

Dug Overburden
11-12-2008, 12:07 AM
:notworthy Holy COW! You are somewhat of modern day scraper celeberty, most likely the only one here currently operating one of the old beasts. Please get some photos posted for us photo piranas. Amazing these still are still running with the popularty of the 657E in SoCal, this shows there is still other ways to move material. The folks down under are nuts over these machines

cat345bl
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I went to JDM YArd yesterday and i got 1 picture of there 660.I have 2 others

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/catm318c/jdm%20pics/DSC00635.jpg

Dug Overburden
11-13-2008, 01:34 AM
I think that may be a 630B tractor, does not look like it has the V8 engine. Looks like a turbo from an in line 6 cylinder engine, this should be a D343TA
I went to JDM YArd yesterday and i got 1 picture of there 660.I have 2 others

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/catm318c/jdm%20pics/DSC00635.jpg

Dug Overburden
11-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Reading in the book Caterpillar Chronicle, that the 650B ended production in 1972, the 666B soldiered on untill 1978 & the last model 660B scraper rolled off the Decutur Plant's assembly line on Feburary 7th 1979. Looks like we will have to have a 30th aniversery party in Feburary.

I was chewing the scraper fat with a old timer many years a go & was mentioned that Granite Const Co bought the last batch of 660B's off the line. The year was was around 1977 & about 10-12 of them. Suppose to have ended up on thier last job on job in west Texas mid 90's.

Caterpillar list 1978 as the last year of production. Any serial number counters out thier happen to know how many were built? Both "A" & "B" models, might be a little hard to get an exact idea as Cat used the same serial number prefix on all the tractors weather they were hooked to a 650,660,666 scraper or as a tractor to pull a trailer from an allied manufactuer. I had an older issue of the HCEA that had a complete list of all the large scrapers built from 1962 to 1984 but can not seem to find it. I'm sure there is a serial number guide out there with it.

Wyoming
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I ran a triple six on the Castaic Dam project in southern California. Very powerful and much better ride that the three axel Euclid scrapers of the day.

992G
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Some of my pic's of ACI's 660's

alan627b
11-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks 992 for posting those. Not that we'd mind some more....if you could, some closer up pics of the engines please.
Happy Thanksgiving!
alan627b

992G
11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Alan,
A Happy Turkey Day to you. I have about 100 pic's. I was not able to get to the ready line, and this was as close as I could get while they were running.

The engine's as you know from reading different post's are a Detroit 60 series. I have to go for dinner right now, but when I get back, I will post more.

I also have a video of these guys running. It is on a regular video camera, and I am not that computer savy to know how to get that on You tube. If you have any suggestions, or anybody else does please let me know.

Kenny from SOCALEARTHMOVERS.com is the one who got me the site info. A big thanks to him. Anyone who has not visited that site, it is a must.

Gavin84w
11-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Kenny should be able to help with a video upload 992G, he is a good bloke and on the money when it comes to scrapers. Can you get a heap of high res pics through to me? i will send a PM.

Great shots and thanks for posting

992G
11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
More pic's

992G
11-30-2008, 09:51 AM
And some more

DPete
11-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Great pics 992, nothing like open bowls and pushcats to get her done. Looks like sandy material I'll bet they were glad to hit a little moisture, helps alot loading

Gavin84w
12-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Great pics? Great pics!!! absolutely outstanding, the only thing missing is the roar of the D346 and the weed belching out of them, oh well we can thank the greenies for the demise of that but atleast a contractor had the foresight to keep a proven product going and it really does show the designs strengths in that it can still do a good days work 30+ years later.

It goes to show with good pm practices things can be made to go for a long time and in an age where it is becoming a throw away society it is quite good to see.

Great stuff 992G and you had a good man in Ken put you onto this job, he and his website are first class and it is great for us guys a long way away to be able to see the scraper capitol of the world in action.

JTL
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
This is how I found out about this site! Looking for quad 9's and 660/666 pics!
992G- are those ACI's scrapers from Southern California? I worked for them a few years ago but they wernt running them on the job I was on. We had a bunch of 51's and 57's going. Some of the hands were telling me about the 660's, but I never got to see one in person.
Jason

JTL
12-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I quess I should've read all the posts before asking that question!
Where is that project at in Santa Clarita? Thats where I was working for them at. We were leveling off a mountian and filling in a valley along the 14 at La Placentia (spelling) for a Lowes and Target. (if memory serves me right)

992G
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I quess I should've read all the posts before asking that question!
Where is that project at in Santa Clarita? Thats where I was working for them at. We were leveling off a mountian and filling in a valley along the 14 at La Placentia (spelling) for a Lowes and Target. (if memory serves me right)

Jason,
These were at Soledad Canyon Rd, west of Whites Canyon Rd. This work that is being done, from what I was told by a person working there, is for a road to be completed.

The place that you were talking about I did drive by, the big dirt work is done there. Just a couple of 627's sitting across from it, they look small after seeing these.

Someguy
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
How do they ride compared to a conventional (2 axle) scraper ?

Mass-X
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
992G, do you happen to have any closer pictures of that D10T with slopeboard?

hktom
12-17-2008, 02:12 AM
992G, great pictures from the cul-de-sac! Here is another perspectice, from the seat of an 660. Also from the seat of a 657E, getting a triple D10T push. Different time, different job.

hktom
12-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Here are the pictures.

hktom
12-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Here are pictures. Need to go to quad 9 link to see triple push 57's

JTL
12-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Nice pics man. 10-22 was one of the Cats pushing the 51's on the job I was working on. Dont reconize the skinner though.

Kenny R
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Beyond AWESOME shots hktom!!!!!!:notworthy Thanks again for the directions to where your at I never did get a chance to make it up there:Banghead Is that cut all done yet??? Love that triple push photo in your other post, I bet that 57 was feelin the burn:cool2

Ken

992G
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=hktom;118439]992G, great pictures from the cul-de-sac! Here is another perspectice, from the seat of an 660

HKTOM,
Excellent pic's, but this was as far as I was allowed to go. Someone got a little jumppy when I was taking the photo's. It got worked out though. I wish I could of had your view, my hat goes off to you. Is this job still going, and if so for how long? Going to be back out there after Xmas and would like to get more pic's. Great ones of the triple 10's. You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

992G
12-17-2008, 06:05 PM
992G, do you happen to have any closer pictures of that D10T with slopeboard?

I have some close,but not real close, also a little blurry. If you want to pm me with your email, I will be more than happy to send them to you.

pactractor
01-18-2009, 12:06 AM
I have worked around ACI's 660's, with the new Detriot engines the front ends are lighter so the front springs don't break anymore, they have a lot more power and the Jake Brakes are a great addition when working on hillsides..

rumbles
01-20-2009, 03:11 AM
G,day.....I have just discovered this site and one of the first things to catch my eye was this thread on 660's. In 79/80 I spent nearly 2 years operating a 660 for Thiess at the Tarong power station site in South East Queensland. From memory I think there was 5 on site, about 40 scrapers all up. These 660's I first saw as new machines at Phosphate Hill awaiting to start work when the mine was commissioned. At that time Thiess were building the rail line from Duchess to the mine (this was in 1975). These machines were built another metre in their bowl length and hungry boards on the sides. I dind't have anything to do with phosphate but it must be pretty light. The mine was mothballed and the machinery did not get used so were bought by Thiess.
When I was operating them the hungry boards had been removed. At an early stage of the job they were weighed with a load so that they had a more accurate estimate of what was being moved. My machine came in at 153 tons, can't tell you what the scraper weighed by itself. After 631/633's these machines rode like a limo.
Our haul was about 5 klm. one way and it was 8th gear most of the way. Orders were every and everything gave way to the 660.s. With that weight and speed braking was virtually nonexistent;). Three D9's were used for loading, though at one stage there was a shortage of dozers and two Komatsu 355's were hired (memory is a bit worn, I think they were 355).
Must go....Have a good one....John.

Deas Plant
01-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Hi, Rumbles/John.
Welkum too ther 4um.

Would you believe that 4 of those 5 ex-Thiess 660's are still around? And that at least 2 of them are still working regularly around Brisbane? And that there is an 84W D10 often loading them?

I may be teasing now but all of the above is fact.

rumbles
01-20-2009, 05:45 AM
G,day Deas Plant, I started my operating career on the Gold Coast in the 60's. Spent 10 years with Blondells, starting on an old stick shift D7 and going on to their Wabco 111a's. Still have signs of callous on fingers from steering switch:).
Catch you later....John.

Gavin84w
01-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the stories Rumbles and welcome to the forum. Those 660B are legendary in the earthmoving world on the right side of the island and from beginnings at the phosphate mine near Isa to Berrima bypass, Mineral Hill, Ulan and i am sure a host of other big Thiess projects they sure have moved some dirt. I was recently given a disc with about 30 pics of them at Berrima being shunted by a Leighton D10, very nice pics.

Deas i had a very quick trip into Brisvegas last Friday but unfortunately 0 time for anything other than work, i was really hopeing to get out and see them, next time i guess.

fourdee
01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Rumbles, They were 355's and they belonged to Goldings..Also they used to outrip the D9's . cheers. 4D.

rumbles
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
G,day fourdee, thought there would be someone around who could confirm the facts.
Sounds like you may have been there, are you from the high country?
Have a good one....John B....r.

fourdee
01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Rumbles, Yes Mate, I was at Tarong. Remember F-Troop? Terry Ford...: :cool2

rumbles
01-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Terry, heard that you had bought a machine of your own and had your old boss operating for you.....John Baxter.

fourdee
01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
John, Yes I ended up with a 7g a8h and I still have a 9g.Done a lot of Forestry work and also digging dirt on Hume Highway jobs. 9 is resting right now and I am back with Thiess for a while. Getting a bit old to skin Cats now..LOL.. 4D.

cherrokee
02-02-2009, 12:44 AM
I was at Berrima when we recieved 5 Stretch 660s from Queensland they joined a fleet of 6-651Bs and Leighton 4-651Es,When we finished Berrima they followed me to Dora Creek freeway With the 651s and we hired in 4 Hunter Valleys 666s,they had the rear engines removed, They were in a tv movie/doc (mateship) some nice shots were taken,yo Fish,Speedy,Twiggy,Fagin and co

cherrokee
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
The 660s followed me from Dora Creek on to Condo Gold mine for the first stripping stage after that lost touch with them, They were a Great piece of gear,Problems with the manufacture of the rear tires a special order had to be placed for 10 purchased at time as they were one off production run

Deas Plant
02-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Hi, Cherokkee.
It's been a while since I heard of you and you probably don't remember me 'cos I wasn't part of the 'A'-team at Dora Creek. I was on a crane on bridge construction. I did hear of a draught frame coming apart on one of those 660's at fairly high speed one day. Do you know anything about that?

Two of the five 660's are still working in and around Brisbane, pretty much on a daily basis. Two more are still in working order, although I don't know their exact whereabouts. I do know though, that the current owner of the first two has access to them if he needs them. The fifth was scrapped and cannabalised some years ago.

I worked with them on a water storage job at Hervey Bay in 1996/97 and a land fill final cover job at Rochedale in Brisbane in 1997-98. The same owner still has the first two I mentioned, as well as two of Hunter Valley's converted 666's.

cherrokee
02-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Giday Des yeah i remember that day well when it let go must travelling at about 40mph threw the load over the tractor, and twisted the bowel,Shorty and Kenny Collerton a their work cut out?

Deas Plant
02-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Hi, Cherokkee.
Oh? The story I heard was that it 'buffed right out'. LOL. I didn't see it 'cos I was working down behind Morrisset at the time but the whole job heard about it.

The same guy who owns the 2 I do know the whereabouts of roaded 2 of the 5 from Rockhampton to Gladstone on a 'quiet' (??????) Sunday morning drive back in about 1997.

They had to be there for a Monday morning start and he couldn't get floats so he and one of his operators set off with 2 of them about daylight on Sunday morning, straight down the highway. About halfway to Gladstone, they thought the 'publicity' on the CB was getting a bit much so they took to the back tracks for the rest of the trip and did it in about 2 hours, roughly 110 'klicks'. They reckon the truckies were extremely excited about these 'wide loads' heading down the highway without floats under them and going almost as quick as the trucks themselves.

Wotchyer doing over in Indonesia, if that's not a rude question?

Catchyalater.

cherrokee
02-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Des
What caused it was that the Trungen pin flogged out where the bowel hooks onto the draft arms and was coming down the big cut at Freemans when the right side the bowel dug in, lucky Eddie Peake wasn,t sitting on it?
i came over to Indonesia in 04 and ran the site preparation works at west Papua with leighton for the JV, Halliburtion,JVC.No scrapers,had 7 cat 385s 40 Cat 740s and 20 dozers D9-D6, and timber felling equipment, Very wet site.Was in Belize and Bakun coffer dam, Malaysia and prior 20 to that 20 months on the Beef Island runnway extension, BVI,Was 8 years on the Ertan dam project in China with Hochtief with a few secondments to the 3 gorges dam.

Just finished a 20 month stint in India with Leighton at Indore and Agra toll roads, having a few months break at the moment.

All the Best

Deas Plant
02-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi, Cherokkee.
Sounds like you've been around a bit since Dora Creek. I've done all my work here in Australia since then, most of it Qld, since I moved up to Hervey Bay in 1993 and then here to the Gold Coast in 1999.

The first time I worked with the 660's, at Hervey Bay in 1996-7, I had a pretty fair grader for looking after their haul roads, fill and whatever else. It was an O&K G350, 42 tons, 380 horsepower, a 20-foot blade and 4 almost D7-size ripper shanks across the back. That jigger would push-load a 660 better than the 270 hp D8H that was there. It was one of only 34 made but what a beast for that sort of work.

I have had 2 trips to California in the last 8 months for a vintage machinery show and to catch up with a heap of 'net acquaintances from the vintage machinery forums, including a few from this one. Both trips have been brilliant and the next scheduled one is for a show at Santa Margarita on the West Coast in June, 2010.

Catchyalater. Happy holidays.

rumbles
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
G,day....isn't it strange the way names pop up, last worked with Eddie Peake about 80/81. Cherrokee, did you run into Hughie Markham up your way (Indo)? Last saw him a few years back up the Sunshine Coast.
Have a good one....John.

Gavin84w
02-03-2009, 05:51 AM
One good thing about this game, everybody seems to know someone who knows someone.

I worked with Fish in 91/92 at Thompsons creek dam with Leighton, then with Speedy in 02 at Mt Arthur with Roche and i see **** maybe once a month now all over the place with Abi,s, infact Speedy was at there Karuah job last year i think.

Always good stories and a laugh to be had.

Imagine trying to do a film like the A team today, unreal to see a 660 full pelt towards a spotter like a bull to a matador!

Deas Plant
02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi, Gavin84W.
Imagine trying to do a LOT of things today that were commonplace 20, 30, 40 years ago. Imagine the paperwork that would be needed for Cherokkee's broken draft frame incident if it happened today. Back then they just got into it and fixed it. Well, almost.

For the FIRST time in my working life of 49 years, I am on a job where I am REQUIRED to wear long trousers and long-sleeved shirts. I'd say at a rough guess that this rule was dreamed up by some shiny-butted college-(de)educated nitwit who has never had to climb up onto a machine while wearing long trousers on a hot day. To get the FULL 'benefit' of this experience, you do need LEGS that look as if they were made to hold a whole man up rather than just a canary. The restriction of movement is VERY noticeable and the hotter and sweatier you are, the more noticeable it becomes.

I can't help the feeling that some lawyers might have had something to do with the above too. One of the worst mistakes that any Australian governemnt has ever made was allowing lawyers and solicitors to advertise and to chase ambulances. That has taken most of the fun out of the operating game in particular and construction in general.

Just my 0.02.

Cmark
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Deas.

If you've got the fashion police on your case, I'm guessing you've landed some work on a government funded job? That can only be good news the way things are at the moment...

cherrokee
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Rumbles

Havn't caught up with Hughie for a while, funny when i was in India i ran into Bill Wild, he was visiting the Agra project and we were out for lunch and we got to reminscing the old days pushing the 660s' with Big Eddie and co at Torong/Dora Creek,We both started together at Ross River Dam in the early 70s with Tom Gardnier We both have the opinion that they were and the best tools for a big earthworks project with a 1klm or better hual and dry conditions, nothing could beat their productivity. I remember Gary Purtel tried to run for a while in wet conditions and gave up? Had them parked 3 months on the project

rumbles
02-04-2009, 01:04 AM
I don't know about muddy conditions, but they could be fun when the haulroads were a bit wet. There was a flat stick left hander just before going onto the ash dam at Tarong, many a time I can remember looking to my right and seeing my trailer sitting about 60/70 degrees to the tractor ( of course now that I'am 63 I'm not quiet as much a cowboy, but would love the chance to do a couple of loads on one:D)
Think Tom Gardnier (Silver Fox) was at Splityard Creek power station when I was there working in the tunnels. Just watching the news, the floods are fairly pouring over the Ross River Dam.
Catch you later....John.

Deas Plant
02-04-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi, CMark.
Yep, it's 'G'-bucks paying for it, $A4.2 billion worth of 'em on a 3 1/2 year design and construct job. Wanna bet that won't be blown out a bit by the end of the job? And, at 3 1/2 years, if I last till the end, I think this one might see me out. Too many 'rools' and 'reggerlayshuns' now fer this little black duck.

Hi, Rumbles.
So you'd like to do a load or two on one of those jiggers again, huh? That might not be out of the question. I would not be at all surprised if the current owner of two of the five Thiess 660's showed willing to let you have a play with one for a bit. Drop me an e-mail or a private message with your phone number and I'll pass it on. The worst that can happen is he will say, "no", and he may well jump the other way. I always found him to be quite a decent bloke, if a bit of a larrikin but then who am I to talk?

Catchyalater.

alan627b
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Hiya Deas! Get any further with your book lately?
I'm sorta happy, it's gonna get up in the 50's this weekend!
15 or so today. Brrrr.

Global warming indeed.
alan627b

Deas Plant
02-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Hi, Alan627B.
Not much progress in that area lately - too busy gallivanting around the countryside, taking photos of old machinery, sniffing the 'backsides' of Cat 660's with a D9G blade and meeting long-time 'net acquaintances. Getting addicted to all the above too. LOL.

Glad to hear that 'global warming' might finally be coming to a town near you. LOL. Your temps are why I live where I do, M8.

Keep warm.

Shaunrh
02-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Deas Plant,
Can the 660 scrapers be viewed in action.Who would be the best person to talk to about getting permission to look at the machines that work around Brisbane.

Thanks
Shaun

Deas Plant
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi, ShaunR.
I faintly suspect that where two of them work pretty regularly is subject to some level of security. Another site where they work from time to time is subject to low-level security, i.e., you need a reason and a name of a person whom you're wishing to meet in there to get in.

I don't know where the other two work, only that is in the Western area of Brisbane.

If you send me a PM, I will give you some contact details. You can then ask the people concerned yourself to see what you can arrange.

Shaunrh
02-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Deas,
Thanks very much.As soon as I work out how to send a PM I will send you one.I think being new to the forum I have a few restrictions.

Thanks
Shaun

Gavin84w
02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Just click on Deas name and a drop down menu should appear and chose from there.

Also for the scraper fans check out Kenny R,s site SoCalEarthmovers as he has added some great video footage from the big hillside job at Bee Canyon Independent Construction are completing, first time i have seen double pushing and it is very impressive

DABANCENS Bruno
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi , I search photo in color of scrapers Caterpillar 657 31G series (1962/1968) or 651 33G series (1962/1968); not the model serie B.
Thank you .

Dug Overburden
02-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Since this is a 660/666 thread I'll start a new one on these old beast.

Dug

Hi , I search photo in color of scrapers Caterpillar 657 31G series (1962/1968) or 651 33G series (1962/1968); not the model serie B.
Thank you .

DABANCENS Bruno
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Since this is a 660/666 thread I'll start a new one on these old beast.

Dug

Sorry my English is bad, the 660 and 666 are not replace since 1977 and the 4 wheel motor scraper yes ,and the discomfort of the vintage big 600 (not cushion hitch) is a big handicap for working today thus this model are rare now.But I hope to find person on this site have photo of this models ,vintage or recent (machine in the parc of the vintage contractor )

Bruno

JDOFMEMI
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Bruno

See the new thread Dug started here:

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=11021

alan627b
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I was told by people that ran them that the 6 wheelers actually rode betterthan cushion hitch machines...but that they were harder to manouver, especially in mud.
See one now, before they are gone...
alan627b

rumbles
02-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Your right there, the later ones especially, with cush-hitch just floated along. The big tyres and good weight were probably a lot to do with it too.
I have been told that there was the option of rams in the goose-neck area that could take the weight totally off the front tyres to give more traction in sticky conditions. I imagine you would hold it in a straight line with the diff lock.
Have a good one....John.

Rusted
02-11-2009, 07:45 AM
rumbles that's true, I remember the 630B's of Thiess's had those rams....used to have a good pic of 2 parked nose to nose with the front wheels jacked right up off the ground, sadly it got lost with many others years ago.

DABANCENS Bruno
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi ,thank you Jerry, I don't know this page on the website! But I know this photo , I look every month the machinerytrader site.

Bruno

Gavin84w
02-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Rusted, where my dad used to work there were 3 ex Thiess 630B parked in the back yard at Villawood for many years and they got them going and painted them up and they ended up at a tip in Blacktown, who knows where now!

JSD
02-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Your right there, the later ones especially, with cush-hitch just floated along. The big tyres and good weight were probably a lot to do with it too.
I have been told that there was the option of rams in the goose-neck area that could take the weight totally off the front tyres to give more traction in sticky conditions. I imagine you would hold it in a straight line with the diff lock.
Have a good one....John.

It was just two simple rams from the tractor to the hitch. Ran one a few times. I ran one that they attached an accumulator to the rams to work as a cushin type hitch to help settle down some of the bucking a 660 would do once in a while.

alan627b
01-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Found a couple of 660's in Minnesota if anyone wants to buy a pair...if you live up that way, drop by and snap some better pics for us!
Alan627b

http://www.mathiowetzconst.com/sale_equipment.aspx

DABANCENS Bruno
01-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Found a couple of 660's in Minnesota if anyone wants to buy a pair...if you live up that way, drop by and snap some better pics for us!
Alan627b

http://www.mathiowetzconst.com/sale_equipment.aspx

Good vintage model ! but 660 tractor with 650 scraper (single hydraulic cylinder ejector ;on the 660 scraper 2 telescopic cylinder ejector )

stuart olson
01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
there is a 666 at the le seuer MN pioneer power associations showgrounds

ConstSite
01-23-2010, 11:54 PM
there is a 666 at the le seuer MN pioneer power associations showgrounds Is it always there, or was it brought in for the show?

- Chris

DABANCENS Bruno
01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you Chris ! very good website and rare scraper 657 serie 31G in superb condition !!
Bruno

stuart olson
01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
it lives at the showgrounds in a shed with other mochines that make it look new. the only things i know about it for sure is that it is "crippled" if i member correctly the rear power pack is not operable but the tractor runs good enough that once a year at show time it is fired up driven outside parked where people can bask in its massiveness and at the end of the show it is buieried back in the shed till next year. and when i say beuired i mean buieried you coluld put four 666 scrapers in this pole barn comfy like and they got that place packed tight enough that you cant touche the floor anywhere iniside. the other thing i noticed is that it has fiberglass fenders and no ROPS or cab of any description

green lizzard
01-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Gavin84w ,David Foster who owned Hunter Valley Earthmoving still has three 666b scrapers at his yard at Rixs creek coal mine.He is trying to develope a coal mine at Blandford near Scone so he may plan to crank them up there,regards Green Lizzard

ConstSite
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks a ton Stuart! I did not know about the 666 down there. I just added the show date to the calendar and will not miss it this year!

I had known of the Mathiowetz units, but I guess now I will have to make a trip down when the weather gets a bit better.

- Chris

alan627b
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Please remember to take pictures! LOL!
Alan

JD in Reseda
01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Pretty funny seeing some of these photos of me on these 660's. Ill see what I can do to get more posted on here in the next few weeks.

Gavin84w
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Pretty funny seeing some of these photos of me on these 660's. Ill see what I can do to get more posted on here in the next few weeks.

HEFamous is a big deal thes days you know!!! Look forward to the pics

ts-24 frank
01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
A few more of the spread

jdofmemi; great pix of all that spread, thanks for sharing, send more if possible and if anyone sees any ts24s please share. thanks ts-24frank

Iron Man
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
If the C.A.R.B. laws stick there will be a lot fewer of these machines able to even be started in California.

ts-24 frank
02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
hay guys; love reading of your stories of the 660 & 666's any chance you could share any phitos of them in action or just parked,thanks, ts-24 frank

ts-24 frank
02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
can anyone help; i am hoping some of you will know this answer. i have already called TEREX in tx. and they tell me they have no one in the plant who has been around long enough to remember about this. i am looking for ways to tell the yrs of the different scrapers. i have the book on euclid/terex and they mention that the front grill has changed over the yrs. the BUG EYED for the 50s and then the lights were mounted on the lower outside of the radiator housing in the early 60s and then they were moved to a higher yp position on the outside of the cover in the late 60s. now i am trying to find out in what yr the front radiator cover went to a more narrower look with the lights mounted inside the grill and when the rear eng exhaust stacks went to being mounted horizontaly as apposed to verticaly like on the old ts-24s. two final things, how to distinguish between the ts-24 & the ts-24b, is it just a newer model, and finally what tells you that a ts-24 was built in scotland. i have taken pix of a ts-14 with the narower grill and the horizantaly mounted exhaust stacks and also a ts-24 with the exact same set yp only thing is the 24 is noticibly larger espacially in the tractor. thanks guys for youre help ahead of time. i am trying to work on an artical to show the history of these machines. ts-24 frank

Gavin84w
03-06-2010, 06:43 PM
For anyone who wants to see some ACI 660B action good friend Kenny R of SoCalEartmovers has just uploaded 5 vids from Porter Ranch job that shows the 660B,s in full flight coming off a big hill, very impressive and good to see them in work, where they should be.

AmerIndependent
03-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Wow, those guys are really moving! I would be scared I'd get the speed wobbles going down the hills like that. Oh well, I guess the more they break 'em the better it is for us since we just dismantled two 660B's for parts :scool

I wonder if those videos are current? I haven't heard anything about them getting any new work. I'll have to give **** a call.

AmerIndependent
03-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Haha, and i didn't swear by the way, the guys name is D-i-c-k.

Gavin84w
03-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Very recent vids mate, also i have just uploaded some from Australia featuring 660B/D10,s

AmerIndependent
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Where did you upload them to? Send us a link!

Gavin84w
03-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Me driving a 660B http://www.youtube.com/user/Gavin84w?feature=mhw4#p/u/1/mx8rB1RvPvE

The Ateam http://www.youtube.com/user/Gavin84w?feature=mhw4#p/u/7/mrqMChUT6Ds

AmerIndependent
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Nice Gavin. Glad to see you're busy! :thumbsup

Gavin84w
03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Were only a little country but our earthmoving is as big as anyones!!

Track Link
04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys ,could anyone possibly tell me if there are any cat 666/660s located on the east coast of the U.S.A,that may be for sale ,and ideally located not too far away from the Baltimore port!?

My geography of the states is not that great as i am from the uk.I have a bit of a crazy idea of shipping one of these beasts to the uk,but transport costs will determine if it is viable.I have a friend who has given me a price to ship one of these and the only possible finacially viable route to the uk is from the port of Baltimore.Obviously the road freight to get it to the port could be expensive thats why the nearer this area the better.
It is only an idea at the moment as it may just be too expensive,but any ideas /information would be appreciated.Thanks Track Link.

Buckethead
04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Guys ,could anyone possibly tell me if there are any cat 666/660s located on the east coast of the U.S.A,that may be for sale ,and ideally located not too far away from the Baltimore port!?

My geography of the states is not that great as i am from the uk.I have a bit of a crazy idea of shipping one of these beasts to the uk,but transport costs will determine if it is viable.I have a friend who has given me a price to ship one of these and the only possible finacially viable route to the uk is from the port of Baltimore.Obviously the road freight to get it to the port could be expensive thats why the nearer this area the better.
It is only an idea at the moment as it may just be too expensive,but any ideas /information would be appreciated.Thanks Track Link.

Only ones I ever heard of on the East Coast were in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I think the town was called SnowShoe? That was years ago, they may be gone now.

alan627b
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.impact-enterprises.com/1320.htm
main page
http://impact-enterprises.com/

Impact still lists some cat 666's for sale in Louisana, they have been listed for several years. Might check with them to see. I had pictures of some a contractor in New York state had in his back 40, if I can find them again I'll post them.
Alan627b

Track Link
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks Guys ,thats a start for me to do some research,if you can think of any other names on the East side that be great.

alan627b
04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/1666025226.html

Found a couple of 666 tractors only, in Rhode Island...getting closer anyway, and offered at under $9000 each.
Alan

alan627b
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I came across this Theiss unit whilst Googling...probably some cool pictures on this site.

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview?pi=nla.pic-vn4667159-s435-v&referercode=cat

Alan

Track Link
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Allen ,i will check these out.
Buckethead ,can you remember a company name for those 666 in snowshoe?

alan627b
04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Reference pics from a sale on Ironplanet...ain't it a shame...sold for less than 10 grand. How the mighty fall....

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/240529?h=null

Hope you find one Tracklink, glad I could help.
Alan

Buckethead
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Allen ,i will check these out.
Buckethead ,can you remember a company name for those 666 in snowshoe?

No I never got to see them in person. I just saw pics of them. I think they were in a mine or a quarry.

JD in Reseda
06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Parking lot for 660 fleet

JD in Reseda
06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
7-8 minute rounds, what a long day...

Gavin84w
06-23-2010, 05:49 AM
7-8 minute rounds, what a long day...

Thats what they are designed for and work best at. Thats why they still make there owner money.

plantman.uk
06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Awesome pictures...shame they are laid up.....how much money laying there idle?...a small fortune my guess

Kwabbus
10-08-2010, 02:03 PM
HELP! CATERPILLAR 666 Scraper Sales brochures & Specsheet WANTED!

Who can help me with a original [or a PDF] sales brochures or specsheet from the CATERPILLAR 666 Scraper?

So please check out your archives and send me an PM!

Thanks Wouter

old jack
10-09-2010, 12:50 AM
them two earthpro ones are working [ a couple of weeks ago] at the brickworks in rochdale.
i didnt know roy davis was tied up there. he took me for a lot of money a few years ago. thats another story.
old jack.

Kwabbus
10-11-2010, 07:29 AM
HELP! CATERPILLAR 666 Scraper Sales brochures & Specsheet WANTED!

Who can help me with a original [or a PDF] sales brochures or specsheet from the CATERPILLAR 666 Scraper?

So please check out your archives and send me an PM!

Thanks Wouter

Greg, Graham and Ad many thanks for the pictures and PDF files you have sended me.

Very glad with this help. Now its just time to wait for the scale model to pop up!!

[If someone has an original brochure I'm still interested]

http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2010/10/11/1286783913-560.png (http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijken/3119038.html)

Tvan
11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Broke in on DW 20's 67c models during the early 60's in NM,Building inter- state hwy system

Randy Krieg
11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
My Favorite Model helps to bring back the good old days.

Gavin84w
11-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Did you get a McCoy version as well Randy? Thats a nice looking display there, any chance some more pics of the collection can be put up?

muckshifter631c
11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
video here showing some 660 working YouTube - CAT 660B's haulin' ass! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CfYw-leDU&feature=fvst)

Randy Krieg
11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Gavin
No I didn't get the McCoy version, I thought really hard about it. I'm saving my money for all the D9s I have on order. That and there's a few others coming up that I want.

HEF won't let us post the same pictures twice so here's a link to a page I posted on last year showing part of my collection. http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?t=16650&page=2

Regards, Randy

Gavin84w
11-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the link randy, thats a nice collection for sure.

Gotta tell you that McCoy version is really nice, i was a little iffy when announced with the green ROPS and all but i ordered it anyways and am happy with it and i don,t think the green ROPS takes away anything at all from the model.

Tvan
12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8VBweskn14&feature=email
Here is a video from the 70's in NM with 650 workn on a interstate project

12-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Happy New Year Soon
In the late 70s & 80s i work at a strip mine that had 9- Cat 660s with 100 ton Athey belly dump beds. They all had dual rear drive tires 21-49. I dont have any pictures, i sure regret it. Thanks for the memories

Gavin84w
01-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Happy New Year Soon
In the late 70s & 80s i work at a strip mine that had 9- Cat 660s with 100 ton Athey belly dump beds. They all had dual rear drive tires 21-49. I dont have any pictures, i sure regret it. Thanks for the memories

Any ideas what become of them? where might they be today one wonders.

621_Rocker
01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Happy New Year Soon

I would like to see some photos of those in action.

01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I think they were all scraped, some parts were saved. They had repowered 2 with 1155 cummins engines,with right side exhaust stacks . Worked very well. I drove back to were the shop is 2 years ago and everything in side was were we left it the last day, the parts dept.is full of new parts for 660s and many other types of equipment, we keep about 15- D8H running everyday many new parts for them. You can see why corp. heads always need more money, they better at wasting it than making it. Days gone forever, they were good why it lasted. Life is still good,just wish are great country could get it going again.

Track Link
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
hi 225 ,you wouldnt happen to know if there was any new front fenders in that old parts shop you visited a couple of years ago? for the 660s.

Bigironjim
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello All!
I worker for Quinn mid 80's -early 90's, whatever happened to DW Burhoe out of the Oxnard area? I dont see them mentioned, but they HAD a good fleet of these dinosaurs at one time.
We (Quinn) overhauled several that they (Burhoe) imported from South America while I was there. Also involved in a 641, overhaul and convert to water wagon for J Mansville in Lompoc.

Reuben Scott
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
at

i was in texas from 1980 -82 started the brian lake in truscott and was there to push the last 660 off the damn ribbons were cut if i remember i was there there scotty where did they all go

ILLICEMAN
10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I saw one last year in a small repair shop between Ottumwa Iowa and Des Moinse.
It was there for awhile and then it was gone.It looked in operating condition to me.:)

X Quad Operator
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
I have five Caterpillar 666 scraper brochures, shows all specs on them, one of the five is on the 666B model, give me your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you.

Mike Nebergall

X Quad Operator
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Gavin84w there was an old contractor in california must of started pre 1940 that moved dirt different than most contractors back then, the name of the Co. was Earl Brown he believed in using bottom dumps, he believed in scrapers dumping into the bottom dumps, he made a slat platform, and would drag it any where in the cut and and take loaders and dig out a slot under the slat platform, then he would use DW21's and haul the dirt to the platform, then scraper would stop and dump his load into the bottom dumps, most bottom dumps had two or three traylors. The way Earl Brown would load the scrapers was with DW20 tractors, sometimes four maby five pushing the scrapers all at one time maybe second overdrive you talk about loading the scrapers fast,mabey 12seconds, 15seconds at the longest couldn't hardley get the scrapers out of the ground. eventually he went to 660 tractors loading 651's scrapers loading into 660's with 100 ton athey wagons the 660's would have two 100 ton bottom dumps and usually a 50 ton traylor behind the two 100 ton traylors. Now that was interesting to watch Earl Brown move dirt, after working 12 hours he would then make us move the platform and dig new ramps for the next day. I use to have a earth magazine showing another California Contractor Silva and Hill moving his dirt with a spread of 660's pushing 651 scrapers, they would never push with less than five 660's mostly six 660's the dirt would almost jump into the scrapers. When you would come into the cut with the scraper you had better be ready to cut about 1 1/2 feet deep because the 660's hitting you in second and multiplying that by five or six 660's you would be fully loaded in about 18 seconds. I use to have that Earth Magazine but the X wife got everything in the divorce. Thought you might enjoy this story. Mike Nebergall

SE-Ia Cowman
10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Hey illiceman I saw that also and stoped but it was a DW20 not a 660 it was between oskaloosa and pella on highwy 163 on the right side.

tctractors
11-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Just thought I would mention we have a few 666's in the U.K. see shop talk for pics, the 1 with the ring of steel above the seat is get a dose of work done to it soon, ready for the " Boot "

Track Link
05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Any body know of any cat 666 pans/boxes located on the east coast preferably,as cheaper to ship back to uk.?Really only looking for the pan/box to go with the 666 tractor i already have.Any leads/contacts much appreciated,thanks.

X Quad Operator
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Good morning I just had a private message sent to me from JTL? I tried to answer and the heavy equipment forum said something about a member problem? yes I'm California Mike, e-mail me your address JTL I hope you get this. Mike Nebergall. Good morning to the present and retired members of this website. I've got a good question for all of you, I ask you tomorrow morning. Mike Nebergall

Buckethead
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Any body know of any cat 666 pans/boxes located on the east coast preferably,as cheaper to ship back to uk.?Really only looking for the pan/box to go with the 666 tractor i already have.Any leads/contacts much appreciated,thanks.

There were some in Pennsylvania years ago, don't know if they're still there. I don't remember which town. I think it was near State College, PA.

cat/d5
05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
hi track link,i am trying to find the way to ship the front unit of cat 666b scraper from east coast to greece.could you give me any possible info about the way you used to ship it to your country?(cost of shipping,shipping company,etc)
i would realy appreciate any info i could get from you since you are the first one who made it.thanks a lot

X Quad Operator
05-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Do you have any used equipment, dealers close? I bought a 980 a few years back out of Japan and it was shipped to L.A. Go talk to them, they have tractors shipped in both directions all the time. Are you restoring or are you a contractor?

Good Luck
Mike Nebergall

cat/d5
05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
have you any idea if there is any of these machines still existing out there?and if so,how could i "contact" them?thank you anyhow.cat/d5

tctractors
05-29-2012, 03:48 PM
cat/d5 track link only gets chance to get on the "tinter web" a few times a month, he will be in touch.

Track Link
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi cat/d5,does this 666 you are looking to ship have a box/pan with it?.If you send me a pm. i can provide contact details to ship the 666 for you.

lincoln884
08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Hello dude: Yeah it's been awhile since I've seen these big 660's series around this area. There are a lot of memories from past construction projects were I hung out in my younger days. Johnson Brothers had these on the I-94 project in Minneapolis back in the early 80's, Park had a bunch of these working a industrail site in the northern suburbs back in the early 90's when I was driving taxi. When I started driving over the road in 1998, I did see a few of these around! Keen Transport had a 6 wheel scraper on a lowboy somewhere. I had a whole boxfull of Construction Bulletin magazines with pics of these on construction projects on a lot of the I- system roads and other major construction projects around the upper midwest at one time.

Dutchman
08-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Did'nt Granite bring a bunch of 660's in to build Lake Allen Henry down just south of Lubbock, Texas in the 90's?

lincoln884
08-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Did'nt Granite bring a bunch of 660's in to build Lake Allen Henry down just south of Lubbock, Texas in the 90's?
I was sitting here trying to remember the company that did the I-494 and I-35E projects in the east metro area back in the mid 60's-early 70's! D.H.Blattner & Sons out of Albany, MN. used those 660 and 666 scrapers. I just faintly remember them pulling a semi dump trailer behind them due to the big and deep cuts being made there.

Extractorfan
08-11-2012, 04:05 PM
100,000cu yd's/day they would have moved most of South Yorkshire in a week! Only in America as they say, good luck to ya! Great pics. What project were they working on? I remember going on a tour of America's National Parks in 2006 & travelling to Gillette in Wyoming,saw one of the open coal pits from the highway as we passed by, would have loved to have seen more of the size of equipment & operations, everyone in States polite & welcoming, many thanks.

lincoln884
12-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Anybody from the upper midwest here that might have worked for construction companies in Minnesota using the big Cat 666's! I remember just a little about the stretch of I-35E and I-494 in the Eagan, Inver Grove Heights area in the SE of Minneapolis using these 666's and pulling a side or hopper bottom in back and I believe the company was D.H.Blattner of Albany, MN.