PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a skid steer only at home?

TALLRICK
07-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I have found my old M610 to be the best garden tractor. Is there anyone else out there who uses a skid loader for non-commercial use only? It sure seems like a nice way for an old skid steer to retire and get more out of its life. There comes a time when a machine can no longer be reliable enough to earn money out on the jobsite, but a valuable helper around the yard.

itsgottobegreen
07-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I guess thats what you could call my m600. Its suppost to be my shop only machine. But my grandfather has it and won't give it back. He really needs it more than I do because of his back.

hilbile
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
all of the machines we have owned were for our personal use. starting with a used M700 bobcat, now our current 743. which is used for plowin snow and rippin up the garden, along with everything else u can think of, like today we are useing it to put shingles up on our neighbors roof. our other two, another 743 and a M610 were sold after we got them fixed and running

Coastal
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, mine does both. I couldnt imagine not having bobcats and excavators around the house. Today im doing a garbage run, so i need to load up my roll off with junk using my excavator. I guess thats the perks of owning stuff. :D

johnstra
09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
I'll be using mine at home only. It will be for clearing snow. Now if I can just figure out which one to get.
-john

TALLRICK
09-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I'll be using mine at home only. It will be for clearing snow. Now if I can just figure out which one to get.
-john

The ones we get seem to be the ones that we find. Affordable, not too much to get going and simple is always a plus! Still trying to figure out that concept of snow!

StPat
10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi all, new guy here. I bought a 753 Bobcat 5 years ago and took it up to Alaska to use around my son and I's portable sawmill. That has to be one of the best pieces of machinery I have ever had. I'd like to get another one to keep on my place in NM, have a small pecan orchard and am always wanting tio move stuff. Was wondering if anyone has a cross refrence from the old model numbers (743, 753 863 etc) to the new numbers? Most of the machines I see are the newer ones and I don't what the hell I'm looking at. Great forum, we're looking to buy a Hitachi D60 excavator and a Komatsu 20 or 21 dozer for use in Alaska. Any coments or suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Patrick

Countryboy
10-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Welcome to HEF StPat! :drinkup

7775deere
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
We use our bobcat around the farm all the time, its pretty handy to have, dont always have to get the tractor for small loader work.

Cowboy
11-02-2007, 10:32 PM
I use my Gehl 4615 all the time around the farm. We use it for doing everything from cleaning stalls to hanging deer. Most usefull tool around in my book. Don't know what I would do without it.

gypsycatfish
11-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I just bought a bobcat 873 and as soon as I figure out why it seems to not get fuel I plan to put it to use building my house.

Countryboy
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Welcome to HEF gypsycatfish! :drinkup

rick342
11-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi guys, I just found this forum and very glad I did. I use my 610 at home only and have owned it for abut 15 years. It has a Wisconsin air cooled engine and runs great. But recently, after running for about a half hour or so it will just shut off, and will not restart for about 3 min. this will continue all day!! But always will restart after the 3 min. (rest)??? any ideas??
Thanks so much...........Rick:Banghead

Countryboy
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome to HEF rick342! :drinkup

Steve Frazier
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
What type of ignition does it have, magneto or coil? It could be the coil overheating if you have one.

Another possibility is vapor lock, or gas boiling in the line. Does the gas line pass close to the exhaust anywhere?

There could also be an obstruction in the fuel line somewhere or in the fuel filter.

Do you have any more details on what's happening when it shuts down? Does it slowly sputter to a stop or shut off like with the key?

jhill
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
My JD skidsteer has several pressure sensors that are tied into the fuel cut off switch. These are hydraulic feed pressure, system pressure and others.
If they sense low pressure they shut off the fuel to prevent system damage. Recently 1 went bad causing the machine to shut down after a couple minutes running. Could you have something like this?.

Jerry

rick342
11-14-2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks for quick response guys.. It does have a coil, The fuel lines are not too close to the exhaust, and when it shuts off its like to turn the key off, no sputter at all...This only happens after the machine has been operating for 1/2 to 1 hr, and then will continue to do it. The level of gas in the tank makes no difference... Thanks again...Rick:beatsme

TALLRICK
11-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I also have an M-610. Do you have the Wisconsin engine? I had the same "shut down" issue and it was due to a faulty ballast resistor. If you use a coil with an external resistor make sure it is good. Otherwise it heats up and cuts out, or the resistor is shorted and the coil overheats. The points also fail quickly in such a configuration. When it shuts down pull the coil wire and crank to check for spark.

rick342
11-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Great idea, I'll check that out soon.. Yes it is a Wisconsin gas engine, Where will I find the resistor?? Thanks.....Rick:notworthy

TALLRICK
11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
The electrical system is pretty simple, all power comes from the positive battery cable connected to the starter. A main resistor is located inside the gauge pod on the right side as you sit in the seat. A bundle of wires goes from there to the mechanical voltage regulator. A plug separates the engine area harness from the gauge pod area. Some of the later models to have an engine oil switch that can shut down the engine upon lack of oil pressure, but that is a bit more unusual. Do you have a manual?

rick342
11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes!! I do have the complete shop manual, I will check out the resistors Thanks again..... Rick

rick342
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Dad, Dad, the Bobcats on fire!! Turned out that the wiring harness on my 610 completely melted and caught on fire. There was a hose nearby and he put it out. Very lucky...:beatsme

rick342
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Guys I had a new resister/circut braker replace in my ignition "compartment" & aAll new harness, Alt, after the fire. I thought that this would solve the problem.... but after 45 mins the machine shuts down and once again you have to wait 4/5 mins to restart. I dont know if I have a balast resistor at the coil?? it is a wisconsin gas engine..

Thanks in advance!!!
Rick:confused:

mouse
09-26-2008, 06:57 PM
doesn't the shop manual tell you where it is? also see if you can find an engine manual somewhere as it'll probably give you more detail on the engine electrics.

did you work out what caused the fire??

i've got a toolcat exclusively for use round home. good thing, it doesn't dig as well as a skidsteer but for any sort of shifting operation it excels - like carting firewood 2 km from the tree to the storage.

other bonus is it doesn't tear up the ground like a skidsteer, which for any sort of work not in a gravel pit is a good thing.

lifting capactiy rated at 1500lb, it'll pretty easily pick up a ton.

rick342
09-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi mouse thanks... the fire was caused because of a wire grounded out near the altenator

TALLRICK
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
When it shuts down check for voltage at the coil. I had a friend with a machine that shut down and it was just vapor lock. Turns out the fuel tank had junk in it and restricted fuel flow.

rick342
10-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Tallrick...Thanks for your help. I will do this next time I run it.
Whats the best way for checking for voltage at coil, and does the gas tank have a drain plug???
Thanks again...:confused:

Rick

Shawno
10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
I will be using my 753 for the most part around my house now. It's great for building jumps for my kids (me too) on their snowmobiles. :D

tdrewcock
05-12-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm looking at buying a Cat 236b for my acerage. I think it will be a great purchase.

olde_cars
05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I've used a Ford New Holland for the last 10 years on my 10-acre farm. It's done everything from regrading my hillside to picking up manure, and holding transmissions off the ground. I also found a staircase buried in my hillside

jtt503
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
posting a 3rd time....thanks

dmaxpower
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm going to buy a 262 or a 262B to do some cleaning up. I hope to be further ahead then renting in the end.

SnakeCreek
07-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I just bought a new Bobcat S300 to use on my farm.

thewrench
07-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Hello guys, new here to the forum . Got a good deal "free"
skid steer loader but have never seen one with an engine bay that pulls out like a file cabinet . What
a great idea ! and nobody that I have showed the machine to has ever seen this set up.It needed a head job had a blown gasket got it all done and running .It has a 4 cyl. kubota diesel 7009 hrs. on it runs like a top. however it has the name RAMROD on it and I can't figure out the year . I can't post any photos here for some reason .....:confused:

shorton
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I've got a New Holland L783 that I use around the farm. Its invaluable for me cause I think I've got the only hilly land in North Texas. I use it for digging out the rainy weather creek that feeds the pond, fixing erosion problems, etc.

thewrench
07-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello guys, new here to the forum . Got a good deal "free"
skid steer loader but have never seen one with an engine bay that pulls out like a file cabinet . What
a great idea ! and nobody that I have showed the machine to has ever seen this set up.It needed a head job had a blown gasket got it all done and running .It has a 4 cyl. kubota diesel 7009 hrs. on it runs like a top. however it has the name RAMROD on it and I can't figure out the year . I can't post any photos here for some reason .....:confused:
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/41260/cat/500/page/1
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/41259/cat/500/page/1

toomacho
07-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I just bought a new Bobcat S300 to use on my farm.

Let's see some pics! BTW, what part of GA are you from?

Cal Blacksmith
07-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a 1999 763 F bobcat that I bought from the local bobcat dealer in 2003 when it had about 1800 hours on it. It came with new tires, new seat and a 90 day warranty. I paid $12,000 for it and that included a toothed bucket.

I now have a smooth bucket, grapple rake bucket, bobcat land plane, forks, auger and 2 bits. Waiting to be repaired to fit on it are a 9000 back hoe attachment (from an 825) and a trencher (the last 3 items were given to me free for the hauling away!) Yes I know the backhoe is "too big" for my 763 but the price was right and I can easily pick it up and move it with the forks so it can't be REALLY FAR over weight.

I have about 2400 hours on it now and I really do need to get the chain oil changed and do the 2000 hour service which is way over due. It starts and runs like a dream and I have only had minor problems that were easy to fix, such as the bottom hose on the control valve (yes a bit of a pain but it didn't cost much) new seals on the control valve, re-tighten the bolts on the parking brake solanoid mounting plate, change the oil and filters and give a good greasing on a regular basis. The tires are now down to about 30% but they still work just fine.

I bought it to level some DG on my property to make a pad for my new shop and once I had the machine, it was just so handy for so many things that I kept it and bought some other goodies for it. I use the forks the most then tied for second place are the two buckets and the land plane. I used the rock rake and grapple a lot when making the pad and it is still good for sifting out large rocks or weeds from the base soil after cleaning weeds etc from the property. We have 3+ acres in the foothills of the high desert in Ca. USA. Fire clearance is a big deal here and I am slowly re-shaping the property to get more flat ground. I love my BC and would be lost without it!

I do intend to possibly get into a little contract work with it once the building market comes back, there will be lots of new homes within 30 miles of me when the market comes back, perhaps I can pay for my toy that way!!:beatsme:D

toomacho
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Bobcats are great for around the farm use. I'm sure you will never want to be without one now that you have one.:drinkup
I have found my 863 to be far more useful that a standard tractor, and extremely useful for the type of work you described.

CM1995
07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I can't post any photos here for some reason .....:confused:

Now that you are a full member (3 posts) you should be able to upload pics. If you haven't seen this thread take a look - Posting pics (http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2284)

Also I fixed your links to the photos.

TALLRICK
07-11-2009, 12:04 AM
WOW I am still hoping for some free attachments for my Bobcats! The collection of bobcats has grown from my first one to the 1998 863. Never payed much for anything, but my machines were someone else's lemons or worn out junk. A second or third life instead of becoming chinese scrap metal.

toomacho
07-11-2009, 07:27 AM
WOW I am still hoping for some free attachments for my Bobcats! The collection of bobcats has grown from my first one to the 1998 863. Never payed much for anything, but my machines were someone else's lemons or worn out junk. A second or third life instead of becoming chinese scrap metal.
Did you get that 863 running yet? :beatsme

TALLRICK
07-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Did you get that 863 running yet? :beatsme

Sure did. Unfortunately, had to put in the defective starter ring gear till I find a new one. Painting is just about done but I took time to rebuild my trailer. It has been too hot to work on it and too rainy. Also taking apart my 763 to put new hoses in it.

toomacho
07-12-2009, 08:22 AM
:drinkup

AndyJKay
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I use mine at home 3rd post

rpctsv
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
skid steers are 100x better than a garden tractor!Mine is for farm use only,clearing trees,spading trees,snow removal,rock leveling,ext!!!!!!!!!!!

Thrills
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Hello!

As you can see, I'm new here!

I had a opportunity to purchase a 2003 Thomas Pro-tough 1700A with 202 hours on it for about $9k. Is that a good price? (From a neighbor going through a divorce/bankruptcy - he bought it "new" in 2004 during the 'Thomas equipment auctions' and only used it to build his house, dig his swimming pool, and clear snow. It's got a Kobuta 4 cyl FI diesel & a dirt-bucket.

It looks and runs (as far as I can tell) like new. He gave it to me to play with for a week, and I'm getting better every day, especially with the bucket "float" feature for smoothing out my driveway. I only plan to use it for personal work around my home.

I had 2 options: get it, do all my landscaping, etc, then re-sell it, OR since we're looking for property to keep my wife's horses on, I may just end up keeping it. (I'm leaning toward keeping since I'm having so much fun with it!)

It is my first "machine" so I don't know anything, and any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

What does the "A" stand for?
At what degree will it roll-over backwards going up a hill?
Anything else I should know / look for?

Thanks so much!

(I posted here cause I don't have enough posts to make my own thread yet.)

henrysdad
08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
just bought a bobcat S185 for use at home - putting up a pole barn, beats renting one. anyone know where chain case oil drain plug is located? where the book says it is is the plug for draining the diesel fuel

Case 580e
08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
my 843 bobcat
is a yardmachine but last year i used it on my aunts farm and i guess thats a job for it

Thrills
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Trying to get enough post to be able to make a thread!

razerface
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
At home is all mine see. 2 bobcats, a 943 with a backhoe,auger, forks, bucket. A 310 with bucket and tracks. Could not live without them right now.

illinoisboy
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I had 2 M700's and loved them both. Picked them both up for around 3500 each. They are relatively low maintenance, and I used them at home and for building pole barns etc.

illinoisboy
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, hearing any piece of machinery is on fire is never a good thing:)

rgaus
09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
This is my first post. I purchased a Koehring 1350 ScatTrak about ten years ago. Rebuilt boom and tilt cylinders and replace hydraulic pump. Four years ago convert it over to use Quiktach attachments. Found out on eBay that this machine is the same as a Thomas T133 loader. Over the ten years, we have put over 600 hours on it.

Bob G.

rgaus
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
This is my second post. I purchased a 1996 Bobcat x320 on eBay after I had rented a Kubota KX-121 one week about four years ago. Lucked out it had the 16" bucket and not the 12" bucket. It ran good but this machine was in rough shape. First winter had to cut out all the rust in the seat and floor board area and weld in new steel. Also had to replace the boom and bucket bushings and pins.

However it is time for new tracks, sprockets, rollers, etc. The tracks, Bridgestone 250x45x72-FP, looks like the original set. It is throwing crossbars

Bob G.

Thrills
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Recently picked-up a nice, 1990 New Holland L-555 deluxe from a dealer who got it from a golf-course as a trade in. I only plan on using it around the house / barn. I don't have much experience, but of all the ones I tested before purchasing, this was one of the best for power, easy of use, and stability. I'm quite happy! I told my wife she might as well plant flowers in the wheel barrow,... I'll never use it again!

bob snyder
09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
I have found my old M610 to be the best garden tractor. Is there anyone else out there who uses a skid loader for non-commercial use only? It sure seems like a nice way for an old skid steer to retire and get more out of its life. There comes a time when a machine can no longer be reliable enough to earn money out on the jobsite, but a valuable helper around the yard.

:)bought a 60xt for personal work.Thought buying a newer one should last:beatsme wrong its broke down now , left side wont move , crap.Had an 1845 and worked better :(

BIAVAEX
10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
We have 3 pics. of Equipment. 1845c, 580 SE & 580 SL. We tend to leave the 1845 at home due to the fact of just another machine to transport so the majority of the little 500 hrs it has on it is around the shop.

thomp86540
10-01-2009, 02:19 PM
New to this sight, I just picked up a cat 226 with a bad block, I either need to find a replacement block or a engine swap that fit in this application, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Madeen2
10-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I have a Mustang 2044 use it on my(wifes farm)to chase horses,pick up there crap and replace the fence that they break and then i proceed to chase them around again.Also makes a kick ass cherry picker.I am in my 4th year of building my pond not an easy task with a skid steer I should just rent a 330 for a day or two and get it over with but whats the fun in that and its pretty hard to chase the horses around with an excavator more reach but just doesn't have the speed.The only regret in my skid steer purchase is not getting the pilot controls if i had to do it all over again i would pony up the dough for pilot contols and a heater with a cab.But other than that it is the best and most versatile tool i own for my property.

k45
10-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I can't imagine chasing horses with a ss! :eek: Must be quite a sight, LOL.:Cowboy:Cowboy:Cowboy

4 wheelers, yes. SS, ROFL.

Ken

bob snyder
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
The ones we get seem to be the ones that we find. Affordable, not too much to get going and simple is always a plus! Still trying to figure out that concept of snow!

:)here in SASKATCAWAN we are expecting snow anytime, CRAP:(But we have fun in it and no tropical storms .

k45
10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
:)here in SASKATCAWAN we are expecting snow anytime, CRAP:(But we have fun in it and no tropical storms .

Oh yes you do. It's just that your definition of "tropical" includes a blizzard :)

Ragweed
10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Just bought a cat 226b for home use :), maube try to make a little extra money on the side with it

luv2campnfloat
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
We originally bought our Bobcat S185 for use in our construction business, however it's so handy for use around our property it rarely leaves home! We use it for everything! Putting up treestands, pulling stuck or broken trucks and buggys out of the woods, we even use it like most people use a 'hand truck' - for heavy lifting/moving!

NH_Noob
12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I use my skid steer at home and I definitely love it. Now if only I could figure out what's up with my RPM's and the dying the machine does! (Please see my post about my NH170 if you think you could help!)

rjm022
12-29-2009, 08:31 AM
i also use my 226 cat skid steer for personal use- just bought it 3 months ago- my first machine! i have a very long gravel driveway and a few acres of land- it definitely has made my life easier,clearing snow, moving/spreading dirt and stone. love my machine!

gencntrctr
01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I use one of my skidsteers for home use. I live in the heart of lake effect snow country in NY with a 500' driveway.....it comes in handy!

fyrwood guy
01-04-2010, 10:55 AM
howdy all,
I use my skidsteer for a little firewood at home during the summer & fall.
I stay inside and tinker on husqvarna in the winter.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/augoak2008032.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/bumpinknots001.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/WILLIAMFGREENE/SHOPWOODSTOVE.jpg
:notworthy

DRMCO D600
01-04-2010, 04:38 PM
This old machine is certainly no contractors machine, but great around the house. I have done all sorts of projects with it, many would not be endorsed by site safety reps. But with a little care and thought can be done safely.

Great forum by the way.:)

Thrills
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi, every one.

I posted a few months ago about my new 1990 New Holland 555 deluxe. I LOVE it! For an old, retired golf-course machine, it sure has a lot of life left.

Especially in northwest PA right now,... we have 30" of snow on the ground since last week, and it's still coming! I just use the bucket to plow with, cause I can lift, turn, and dump. Otherwise, I'd never get out of my driveway.

For a 20 year old dinosaur with almost 3900 hours on it, it is a BEAST!

This machine is only for around the house and barn,... personal work.

YouTube - Blizzard 09 SKID.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fVOBVGgYqo&feature=channel)

SikGQ
02-21-2010, 02:54 AM
I use mine just for moving soil around and mulch :D.. beats the shovel

Directional
02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Got a Cat 236b that i have for use around the acreage. Love it. Awesome machine. Not so big that it burns ridiculous amounts of fuel, but big enough to do anything that i want.

Z2898
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
First post so my apologises if I screw this up. Another thing to check would be valve lash. As valve wears into seat lash will decrease. A compression test would confirm this when engine quits. Hope this helps.

greaseballx
02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
need help with heater blower motor r&r cannot figure out how to get the darn thing out bout ready to make some nice access holes boss won't be happy thought need help

greaseballx
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
forgot to say early s/n bobcat t 190

CASE FREAK
03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
hi im new here. I have just bought a 99 case 90xt skid steer for at home use

Scavenger
04-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Hi,

I am new here also. I have a 1992 Case 1845C with less than 2000 hours that we use around our property, and I use it for my part-time home based welding and fabricating shop. It sure comes in handy for positioning large, heavy, or awkward items I am welding or repairing. I made a set of forks that will rotate so I do not have to set something down, unfasten it, then reposition it. I have also made a tooth bar for the bucket, a grapple bucket, and several sets of adapter hoses that I use to power several pieces of hydraulic shop equipment that I made or purchased. By nature I am lazy, so for the life of me I can not imagine why it took me so long to get one. Even though it is handy for lifting heavy items, I am still going to find a small LP gas engine forklift. Sometimes it is a little scary on the Case when I have a really heavy item on the forks and I need to travel with the item raised. It is just a tad too tippy for my comfort zone.

du5tyl
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a Cat 252b - use it only at home (40 acre spread) - leveling, loading\unloading hay, feeding stock, grading, excavation, building (as a crane and work platform) - general moving stuff around the property. Compared to my old tractor, the skid steer has many more uses.

JimC
04-24-2010, 01:19 AM
3rd post, I plan to use mine on the farm when I find one.
JimC

bnjmnmccrorie
04-27-2010, 09:50 PM
oh very interesting

cartzblown94z
05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
i just picked up an 05 asv rc30 for home and some side job work. i have wanted one since i was a kid, like a dream come true.....

k45
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
i just picked up an 05 asv rc30 for home and some side job work. i have wanted one since i was a kid, like a dream come true.....

I don't think they had even invented them when I was a kid! LOL.

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it.

Ken

Odyknuck
06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Greetings folks. I am new to the forum and spoted this thread as I looking for a Skidsteer for home use. I am in the search process of buying my first Skidsteer and must say it has been a challenge. I don't even know what is the best machine and or size to buy (zero experince). My current task list includes driveway work, building an Offroad Buggy Washdown area, Trails in the wodds, Removing and replacing the top soil with fill dirt the Contractor used to support the lower end of my shop etc. May even want to dig a Pond. So Please help me chosse the right machine. I have $7000.00 to spend.

Odyknuck
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Currently looking at a Case 1845 and a New Holland L-455 diesel. Thoughts on these machines?

Odyknuck
06-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I understand diesel engines have more torque ,however is a gas engine a viable option or should I stay away from them ?

akroadrunner
06-10-2011, 11:01 AM
My neighbor has an old Bobcat. I work on construction jobs all day. Just when I start to relax at home, out comes his skid steer with the loudest back up alarm I've heard. He and his wife take turns with it. (I won't say 'operating' it, since they have one stick or the other in reverse all the time, and the alarm NEVER stops) I have to listen to that obnoxious alarm for hours sometimes. This is after hearing them at work all day. I may just go down there with wire cutters one evening and FIX it for him.

Odyknuck
06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Ok I am confused with your post? Is there a point here?

jcoop
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a bobcat 542b that I have had at home for the last 8 years and it has been very good for me, now it's dead. will start another thread to see if I can get some help.

thanks
John

dave esterns
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
hahaha! im with you with the neighbors having a backup alarm!! my neighbors are a half mile away and i have often wondered y they still have it connected. they went 40 years without it, y start now?? i think the loud roar of the engine is enough to let bystanders know there is a bobcat about to run them over...

LWG
06-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a Case 1816 and Bobcat T200 that I use only at home. The Case has a whopping 16 hp! It is the handiest little machine. It can only handle about 700 lbs, and that's with 2 counterweights. It's as tippy as hell, even on flat ground. But, it will fit through a 36" door. I have a trailer for it and I can take it anywhere. For snow and general lifting chores, it's great.

The T200 is a different class machine. I'm doing a lot of landscaping on a steep hill, and I can't believe how stable it is.

I have used a Case 1835 for home use, and that's close to the 1845 you were looking at. I would think that machine would be a good, all around skidsteer for you so long as you are not regularly working in mud or on steep slopes.

cheyenne
06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I have a Gehl 4635SX that is the main workhorse on my 70 acres. It feeds my sawmill moves & digs rocks up with the forks....Jacks up the trucks.....Plows the snow......Now if it would only bring me beer......The most valuable machine I have & will go to the grave with me....Cheyenne

Blacksmoke07
06-13-2011, 08:45 PM
My old man bought his first skid steer back in 85', 2 months before i was born. We still got her to this day, its a bobcat 743 and has paid for itself 1000 times over on the jobs. But shes been garage (barn) kept now for atleast 10 yrs or so but we use it only around the house, for movin firewood and misc. stuff, and plowin the driveway out.

dave esterns
06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
ah the 743 was the main work horse on the farm when i was growing up. such a classic ride...

JustForFun
06-14-2011, 05:58 PM
8105381050810498105181052Had/have a Case 1845B gas for over ten years. Great machine, but blew a rod bearing a year ago so I bought a Cat 247B. Just had to try a tracked machine and the price was right. Love the Cat but I am afraid of what the future may bring $$. I've already spent $1000 on new rollers. Still have the Case just need to re-install the engine and then decide which machine to keep.
We have spent the last 8 years building a lakehome in northern MN and use the machine for everything, can't live without one.

irwin
06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
My neighbor has an old Bobcat. I work on construction jobs all day. Just when I start to relax at home, out comes his skid steer with the loudest back up alarm I've heard. He and his wife take turns with it. (I won't say 'operating' it, since they have one stick or the other in reverse all the time, and the alarm NEVER stops) I have to listen to that obnoxious alarm for hours sometimes. This is after hearing them at work all day. I may just go down there with wire cutters one evening and FIX it for him.

That would drive me to distraction alright. I bless my luck so far the neighbors are good...
I bought a New Holland L555 a couple years ago for home use.. love it. The perkins diesel has been flawless..
If you have land that needs work ... a TLB, a skid steer, a golf cart (or utv) and various cart pullers etc. are mandatory.:D

theman
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Im new here!! I would like to say I use my skid steer at home too- When my house was being built the contractor left alot of dirt piled on the property , I figuired it was better if I bought a skid steer than rent one. My first skid steer was an old john deere375- I used that machine for over eight years around the house, it really made my life alot easier. I used it for moving dirt, snow, sand etc. pulling my jetski and drag boat out of the water, and countless other jobs that would have taken me for ever to do. My friends and boss thought I was nuts to buy one. I live on Long Island on the water, after this past winters storms my old deere was moving the snow just not as fast a bigger machine ( I was getting calls from my bosses customers wanting snow piles moved)- so I sold the old deere and bought a bobcat 763 high flow with low hours and alot of new attacthments which I will probably never use but they are cool to look at!! I am planning to retire some where out west and up north so I can play with my bobcat all day long. This site is very helpfull and interesting...Chris

Kobe130
06-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Yes I use my skid at my country property on the lake here in Manitoba. Thomas 233HD. Thomas is gone now but my machine is still running strong. It along with my 580 Super L has been very useful in building the house the shop etc as well as moving the jetski and Wellcraft into the water. I couldn't do without either of them now. The Thomas has never given me a lick of trouble. However, I recently bought a Case 95XT with high flow to run the snowblower and I was going to sell the Thomas when I realized I couldn't part with it. It's just too good and reliable. So I guess I'll keep 'em both.

marc pate
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Im stepping up from a mt 55 to a 1845c soon I cant wait.

James R
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi all, I'm a new member. Was an operator a good part of my life, #9 Denver, but on the side lines now after six surgeries on my back. I bought an old Bobcat 543 to move snow from my driveway where I live in the country of rural Nebraska. It runs well but the loader is lower on the right side of the machine. Looks like the Bobcat had a rough life, it's pretty beat up but it's what I could afford to buy. I'll be posting a thread for help as soon as I'm allowed. I'm glad I found this forum, been looking around, looks like a lot of good information from good folks helping other members. Glad to meet you! Jim

hd78glide
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't have one yet, but I am actively searching for a machine for personal use. Snow clearing and odd stuff around the property. I just sold my tractor, with a blower on the back. My old body can't take the twisting to see where I'm going anymore.

ctheddy
10-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Not sure a skid steer is a great solution to a bad back, but I know what ya mean...gottobegreen

James R
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Yep, they can sure be hard on a guy's back but not as bad as using a shovel or lifting heavy objects. I feel every little bounce right from my lower back to the tips of my toes. That will sure teach a fellow to be as smooth of an operator as can be and to keep the work area smooth too. I really wanted a sub-compact tractor with a loader, can't work as fast as a skid steer but don't tear up the ground/grass as much. Couldn't find one around here, not one I could afford, that is.

Diesel gal
10-21-2011, 06:48 PM
My husband will always keep a bobcat around our yard. It's great for lugging in firewood, planting a garden or used as scaffold so I can paint the tallest point of our house. He planted a tree once and never got his hands dirty. Even scooped water out of the stream for it with the backhoe bucket. It's the handiest tool we have.

pp13bnos
10-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I honestly don't know what I'd do without my Skidsteer. Its a must have for anyone with a bit of property. :)

Reel hip
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
84733I own a Bobcat business. I usually have at least one off the trailer for home use. 15 years ago our family and the neighbors family would trade dinners. My wife would cook monday's and wednsday and the neighbor would cook Tuesday and thursday's. We live on a dirt road and everyday my son's (6 & 7 then) would deliver or pick up dinner putting it in the smooth bucket.They would make a game of making sure nothing was ever spilled. By the way these two boys have grown into some of the best operators I know! Here is a 3rd generation!

brynbaily
10-23-2011, 10:38 AM
We have a Cat 236B2 machine we're using on 14 acres and can't imagine how anyone could live without one! We use it for just about everything other than mowing.......the wife seems to think its not "turf friendly" heh :rolleyes:

k45
10-23-2011, 11:03 AM
We have a Cat 236B2 machine we're using on 14 acres and can't imagine how anyone could live without one! We use it for just about everything other than mowing.......the wife seems to think its not "turf friendly" heh :rolleyes:

I use my ss for mowing hills too steep to turn the tractor on.

jrcampbe
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Just bought a Case 1835B for home use only, mostly snow removal. This worthless post is my 3rd, so now I can ask the group a question about it!

Thanks,

Jim

jason975
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I've seen it a couple times where the plastic wrap from the filter or sometimes rags somehow magically make their way in there, once a ping pong ball. I am the road service guy for chartrand equipment in timmins, its hard to find operators that give a sh*t nowadays.. so dont be surprised by anything. Have you taken a blowgun to the lines or anything?

Brianmp302
12-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I keep finding reasons to take one home and move more dirt. Eventually I will just keep one at home full time

Reel hip
12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I've seen it a couple times where the plastic wrap from the filter or sometimes rags somehow magically make their way in there, once a ping pong ball. I am the road service guy for chartrand equipment in timmins, its hard to find operators that give a sh*t nowadays.. so dont be surprised by anything. Have you taken a blowgun to the lines or anything?
Must be talking air filters from a different post. Ping pong ball?

jparr763
12-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I use my 763 exclusively at home. I'm on 20 acres in the Sierra Nevada mountains, so it is mainly used for moving pine trees around (in the form of millable or burnable wood).
I use the bucket mainly, but bought a grapple attachment that is getting a lot of use too. In the winter, my snow blower attachment earns its keep since our driveway is 1/3mi long.

MarkinMass
01-08-2012, 12:00 PM
HI all - first time posting.

I am looking for a quality used skidsteer for homeowner use only. I plan to use it to help in the woods for log removal for my own firewood processing. I have 10 acres, so need something to help once treea are cut. I have thought about a new compact tractor or similar, but am not sure those are heavy duty enough. I also plan to use it for snow removal (300' paved driveway).
Since I am a homeowner and not a contractor or in the construction business, I have only looked for used skidsteers online (machinery trader, craigslist and a couple of local equipment dealers). To be honest I have no idea what to pay for a used machine. I have looked on machinery trader at the "list" prices, but have no clue as to what they would actually sell for. I would like a machine that has 2,500 hours or less that has been reasonably maintained. I think Bocat 7 or 8 series or John Deere 240 and up. These 2 brands are close to my house,so if I need parts, I should be able to get them without much trouble.
One other issue is that I will most likely need to finance part of the cost. I am working with a local credit union and they said they go by the NADA value? I did not realize NADA also gave equipment values. I do not know of any other alternatives to finance used equipment if not a commercial application.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly apprecia

KSSS
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
My opinion only, I would avoid a two series Deere. They are cheap to buy but not cheap to own. The series II machines are better but if you want a Deere I would find a 300 series machine. As for finacing, you can try places like Pinnacle Financial and others, not sure how it works where you are not commerical. Wells Fargo also does quite a bit of heavy equipment. A dealer themselves usually have options for finance. They have whats called a Green Book value, but NADA has no values that I know of for construction equipment.

k45
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM
HI all - first time posting.

I am looking for a quality used skidsteer for homeowner use only. I plan to use it to help in the woods for log removal for my own firewood processing. I have 10 acres, so need something to help once treea are cut. I have thought about a new compact tractor or similar, but am not sure those are heavy duty enough. I also plan to use it for snow removal (300' paved driveway).

How are you going to use it for log removal? Are you going to get a grapple and pick up the cut logs and carry them forward, or are you planning on dragging them backwards?

Side and rear visibility of a SS is poor, especially in a confined place like the woods. It's okay if you have very open woods, but I wouldn't drag a log very far backwards in the woods around here.

Also, unless you are on very solid dirt, you will probably want over the tire (OTT) tracks.

I don't know your terrain and the type of woods you will be working in, but I think you would be better off with a utility or larger compact tractor. YMMV.

Ken

MarkinMass
01-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Thought of it both ways. If I could find a reasonably priced grapple, that would be my choice. Otherwise chains and dragging it only to an open area where I can cut/split the wood. Remember this is only for my own firewood, so I will be doing it on and off throughout the year.
I need a skidsteer that can last me many years and probably about 150-200 hours per year. I thought if I got a decent one with 2,500 hours or less, I might be set for quite some time. I need to keep the cost as low as possible, since I will not be earning me any money with this machine unlike most of you!
If I go the Bobcat route, what is the best option for the couple of tasks I will be using it for? Not to mention if you suggest a model, what should be the MOST I should be looking to pay with hours and overall condition?
Is there anyway for me to see the greenbook value on used machines?

Thanks - Mark

KSSS
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
There are different online places to see values most charge you a fee that I have seen. There are some options to find out what machines are going for. Auction prices are a great CURRENT indicator of value especially in time like these. Go to Ritchie Bros website, sign up and you look at what machines have sold for at auction. Same with Iron Planet. IP is better since you can actually see what kind of shape the machine was in when sold. That says a lot since book values are subjective when it comes to conditions. With IP you can see for yourself.

Most guys here that have used these machines for skidding logs use tracks. I have used top quality tire chains also with good success but it depends on ground conditions. There are also some specific attachments made for this application.

These machines well taken care of can be in great shape at 2000 hours or completely worn out in 800 hours so its really hard to say what you should pay. Condition trumps hours and year everytime. Generally I would say you should be able to find a machine with 70-80 hp, 2000 pound ROC, and 1500-2500 hours with a cab in decent shape for around 15K.

LWG
01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I just finished loading a few cord's worth of saw logs using a tracked Bobcat with a stump bucket. The bucket has a grapple. I bought it new off of an auction site. It was not very expensive at all. Couldn't have been easier, safer or more efficient. I'm just a homeowner and never ran equipment before. I was working in mud a few inches deep.

MarkinMass
01-09-2012, 07:52 PM
There are 2 Bobcat skidsteers in my area for sale, one with high hours. Please give me your input on pricing and whether I should keep looking.

1st - 1996 Bobcat 863 with 4,326 hours, enclosed cab w/heat. Looked at it and it is in decent condition and is a local machine with regular maintainance performed. "Asking" price is $10.5k.
2nd - 2001 Bobcat 863G with 3,093 hours, enclosed cab w/heat. Also in decent condition with regular maintainance performed. "Asking" price is $12.5k.

Both machines were owned by a local nursery and were traded in for new equipment. I'm just a homeowner, but is this still too many hours for either of these machines? I know maintainance and condition trumps hours, so i would need to do a through inspection. What would be the most $$$ you would offer for either one of these, if at all?

Thanks - Mark

KSSS
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I am not a BC officiano, but the 863 has a pretty good history. I would have to be convinced that the 01 is worth more than 10K. I think the 863 had a Duetz motor, there are some maintanence issues to keep up on with those. I would think if you could get the 863 for 10K you would have a decent deal and assuming its in good shape a good skid steer for a homeowner.

MarkinMass
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
What are the issues with the Duetz engines? I don't know the differences between the different engines offered in Bobcats. I have seen Duetz, Kubota and Isuzu engines offered in various sized machines. Is there an engine that I shoudl avoid?

KSSS
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Primarily the timing belt I believe on the Duetz. Finding one with a Kubota would be ideal. The only one that I would specifically avoid would be the 751 that had a Pugeot (sp) in it. That was a bad deal. The Duetz will be more expensive to work on if it goes down. Hopefully a bc mechanic will chime in with some specifics on engine selection.

jcg
01-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Can I do a test here? Sorry, new guy here.

LWG
01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
IIRC, the Deutz is an interference engine. If the timing belt fails, there will likely be contact between the piston and the valves, with damage to both. When the timing belt is worn, it can cause hard starting and poor operation. The machine I bought has the Deutz BF4M1011. When I was considering buying it, I had a shop go over it before I signed the deal. The machine was very hard to start. The mechanic was sure it was the injectors. I wanted to have the timing belt changed, since that is a maintenance item with that engine. Cleaning the injectors didn't help the starting, but the new timing belt sure did. There are special tools to do the job, but you can rent them from the same company that sells the belt. The Deutz is oil cooled, so don't plan on buying antifreeze. Some say the Deutz parts are less available and more expensive than the Kubota. The engines can be rebuilt for about $5k from a rebuilding company, or around $3-4k for a shop repair.

hiniker88
01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I work for a bobcat dealer and have only been there a short time. I have only seen one major issue with a deutz engine and was when it broke the belt. Bent all the pushrod, couple rockers, rocker bolts. The earlier 863s are a pain to run because of the cable steering in my opinion

MarkinMass
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I work for a bobcat dealer and have only been there a short time. I have only seen one major issue with a deutz engine and was when it broke the belt. Bent all the pushrod, couple rockers, rocker bolts. The earlier 863s are a pain to run because of the cable steering in my opinion

What do you mean by "earlier 863's"? I am looking at a 2001, does that qualify?

Thanks - Mark

bobcat753owner
01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
This is my second post. I recently bought a '97 753 to use around my property in preparation of building a new home. It has been handy and can't imagine lifting all the junk that has been hauled away for scrap metal by hand. The 4n1 bucket sure is handy. hope to expand attachment arsenal in future

Reel hip
01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
The 2001 does not have cable steering. My 1998 863 does not either. I have 6,786 hours on my Deutz and have no problems. Then again I have had great luck with the kubotas and Perkins also. Amazing what an oil change will do for longevity haha

MarkinMass
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
The 2001 does not have cable steering. My 1998 863 does not either. I have 6,786 hours on my Deutz and have no problems. Then again I have had great luck with the kubotas and Perkins also. Amazing what an oil change will do for longevity haha

Couldn't agree with you more. That's the difference between owners that take care and keep up with the mainteanace and those that don't. Hours are important on a machine, but not as much as keeping up with the maintenance.

No doubt I will have someone that is more mechanically inclined than I am, perform a thorough check on any machiine that I might want to purchase. Great forum!

MarkinMass
01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Well the 2001 bobcat 863 sold fast, so I could not jump on it. The 2001 with 3k+ hours listed for $12.5k and sold for $11.5k, it was in pretty good condition. So my dilemma is that I can get the 1996 Bobact 863 for $9k, should I even consider it? It appears to be in good shape for the year and hours on it. I will have timing belt replaced and a full service performed before i get it. I just don't think in my area of the country that I can find a machine of this size for much less that I can get this one for.
I will only put 150 hours or so on the machine per year so it could last me a very long time. Still, I am very concerned about the engine as that is a lot of hours. No smoke coming out of the engine (no more than it should).

I need an opinion, walk away or decent enough price to take a chance. Thanks, I appreciate it..........................

KSSS
01-16-2012, 07:28 PM
You wont find a decent machine for less. The only question would be could you find a better machine for the same or a little more money. I would say that if the machine checks out mechanically to take it. If you can get it for 9K as long as it doesn't puke the engine or hyd pump you should come out just fine meaning even if you had to sell it right away for whatever reason you should be able to at least break even. Too bad on the newer one. Given what you want to do with it, it might be as good as you will find for the money (again assuming it is mechanically sound). If you have any doubts take it to the dealer spend a couple hundred dollars and have them go over the machine and get a good idea of what it might need in repairs. Being a homeowner, recouping any money that you have to put into the machine is difficult if not impossible. Your machine is strictly an expense with little income, if any, to counter the money you put into it so you need to be pretty careful. So if it checks out to be a sound machine take it. If it needs more than say 1500 dollars in repairs I would keep looking because that is 1500 you can add to a newer machine with likely less hours. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Massman
01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Late 90's Case 1845C, my at home snow plow, brush hauler, firewood splitter, and basic hydraulic wheelbarrow!!!!!

cjschillinger
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
just bought our first skid steer john deere 328 2 speed hi flow with cab heat/ ac grouser tracks to use on our hog farm

Parker22
01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
My father did for years.... But that skid is about to be traded in or sold for a new skid that him and I will be buying together. I will use it away from home. I need my account activated so I can ask some questions!!!!!

Wondering between a Bobcat 185, 205, or a Deere 320D...

MarkinMass
01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Well the 2001 bobcat 863 sold fast, so I could not jump on it. The 2001 with 3k+ hours listed for $12.5k and sold for $11.5k, it was in pretty good condition. So my dilemma is that I can get the 1996 Bobact 863 for $9k, should I even consider it? It appears to be in good shape for the year and hours on it. I will have timing belt replaced and a full service performed before i get it. I just don't think in my area of the country that I can find a machine of this size for much less that I can get this one for.
I will only put 150 hours or so on the machine per year so it could last me a very long time. Still, I am very concerned about the engine as that is a lot of hours. No smoke coming out of the engine (no more than it should).

I need an opinion, walk away or decent enough price to take a chance. Thanks, I appreciate it..........................

Well the '96 863 had a couple of broken motor mounts and some hydraulic leaks. I decided to walk away and keep looking, as a machine with 4,300+ hours and problems to boot does not make sense to purchase. I will keep looking and hopefully find a decent size machine in relatively good shape for ~ $10k.

jcg
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
MarkinMass, sounds like we are in the same boat. Lookin for a machine that hasn't been beat to death, reasonable hours, 10 years old or so, 10k +/-. It's a tough find in the market for me here in the midwest. Appears that owners have their machines and aren't really eager to sell them. Lots of them on the market for 6mos or more but asking 14k-17k. Also, not many private sellers, mostly implement dealers which drives $ up. I plan on taking two good friends of mine (mechanic & operator) to auctions and take my chances there. After all, most dealers aren't going to warranty a used machine anyway....they'll just be willing to sell parts & service. A good mechanic with a few hours inspection time can give you the yea or nay on a machine whether or not its in someone's backyard, at a dealer or at an auction. Just my .02

MarkinMass
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
MarkinMass, sounds like we are in the same boat. Lookin for a machine that hasn't been beat to death, reasonable hours, 10 years old or so, 10k +/-. It's a tough find in the market for me here in the midwest. Appears that owners have their machines and aren't really eager to sell them. Lots of them on the market for 6mos or more but asking 14k-17k. Also, not many private sellers, mostly implement dealers which drives $ up. I plan on taking two good friends of mine (mechanic & operator) to auctions and take my chances there. After all, most dealers aren't going to warranty a used machine anyway....they'll just be willing to sell parts & service. A good mechanic with a few hours inspection time can give you the yea or nay on a machine whether or not its in someone's backyard, at a dealer or at an auction. Just my .02

I have seen a lot of machines that are overpriced or just plain worn out. CL in my area has the same machines on it all the time. I have tried some used dealers, but they want too much $$$ and the machines are in no better shape. I am in the $10k - $15k range, preferably on the low end since this purchase will not produce any income (only private use). I will keep looking and eventually something will turn up. I will find something by spring or so, I just don't want to rush into anything and have a $9k lawn ornament!

warhawk
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello all, I'm new on here and looking for a skidsteer for snowblowing,snowplowing,and constructon projects around my property in the summer. Interesting site,really appreciate all the info. thanks.

rezod1
01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
We have a case 70xt 2005 model, use it for lots of projects commercial and home, great for moving things like firewood and brush around and filling in wash outs, grading the drive and taking out the trash. We even use the broom to sweep leaves and gravel out of the yard, sure beats a wrake like the neighbors use!!!!! It is a nice perk to owning iron...

Parker22
01-22-2012, 04:47 PM
My father did for years.... But that skid is about to be traded in or sold for a new skid that him and I will be buying together. I will use it away from home. I need my account activated so I can ask some questions!!!!!

Wondering between a Bobcat 185, 205, or a Deere 320D...

Anyone?

MarkinMass
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I am going to the local BC dealer tomorrow as they have a 2001 863 that I might be interested in. This unit is an 2001 with 1,700 hours. My question is what is the difference between an 863G and an 863F? I think this is a G as it has triangualer lights. Dealer wants $12k, so if it checks out I might see what they will "let it go" for. I have only seen pictures so far and it looks real clean. dealer said it is in verg good condition with all service performed there.

Jeepwalker
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I see a lot of guys using a skid steer to plow snow. There are places where it makes sense to use a SS, but for most driveway snow removal at rural places, a SS is a rotten way to clear the snow. Cold, loud, slow. Some of you guys may want to consider a used Jeep or Pick-up with a plow. You can quickly move a LOT of snow and do it in shirt sleeves listening to your favorite radio tunes. Quickly is the word because you need to go fast enough to get the snow rolling in front of the blade. After a big snow storm, it takes my neighbor litterally 2-3 hours to do his driveway in his BC. We both have about 400 yards of driveway. I can do mine in my truck in about 20 minutes, and that includes pushing away from the house and outbuildings. I've went and done 2-3 neighbors who also have long driveways and come back and he's still got a ways to go. One pass up, one pass back, then around the buildings, done. The truck can push the snow up pretty high up too. Takes my dad about half to 2/3 of a day in a big storm with his machine, but it's smaller though too. In the old days we used to use a JD 3010 tractor and large loader with a blade on back. No cab. It worked great for what we needed it for but was a miserable way to move snow. Snow would fill and stick in the bucket, a lot of spill-over on every pass, wind blowing through my ears, loud, use a lot of fuel, took forever, running levers all the time. Was fun at first, but got old fast when we'd get a lot of snow. One day my brother had enough and went and bought a plow for his truck. It was like a new miracle. I don't know if we ever used the tractor again after that. Over the years we made a few thousand bucks doing driveways with his truck. So, a Skid Steer will work ok, but if you're getting tired of the cold, a truck is a great way to do it.

Now, for commercial snow removal, there are applications where using a SS in certain areas like large commercial lots and sidewalks makes sense. Then there are those massive storms where the drifts are huge too and a SS is handy to have for that.

MarkinMass
02-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Looks like I will purchase the 863 from the Bobcat dealer; they are going to replace the timing belt and adjust valves this week. Hopefully I will get it by weeks end. Right now there is a GP snow bucket on the machine, I would like a more HD bucket with teeth since I will be digging.
1st Question: the Bobcat dealer is wayyyyyy over priced for a new bucket and do not have any used. Does anyone have any suggestions to buy a new or used bucket? I have seen many places online, including ebay, Bradco, etc.. Are there any places better than others or places I should avoid? I don't want a thin, cheap POS that gets torn to shreads.
2nd Question: I see bolt on teeth, welded on teeth and tooth bars. I would like something that is built to last, so what is the best choice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

k45
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
As I understand it, the cross piece on the tooth bar strengthens the bottom of the bucket so that would be an advantage if the bucket needs reinforcement. OTOH, I have had trouble with breaking off the outside teeth on my JD toothbar. I'm no expert but their design seems weak. The outside teeth, which probably have the most stress, have the least support.

Bolt on teeth are going to require mounting holes. If the bucket doesn't have them in the right spot, drilling could be a chore. Of course weld on teeth require welding so bolt on has that advantage although, depending on the design, you will have the bolt ends sticking out and perhaps holding onto material.

Also consider the cost. Bolt on tooth bars can cost almost as much as some buckets. IIRC, mine was over $700.

Ken

KSSS
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
The best deals I have ever found, have been at auction. Buckets have certainly gone up recently. I have been looking for a HD 80" extended lip bucket. It seems by the time I get it here its about $1500 +. My last bucket I bought at a RB auction was $500 even after the fees, its a JD (Bradco) 78" extended lip. If you can wait and be patient I would check the auctions around you. There are some buys on Iron Planet especially for you guys out East.

As for digging teeth, years ago I started buying Rezloh edges. Google them and see what you what you think. You can dig with them, still grade and back fill without changing out buckets. They last and they are segmented so when you do have to replace them you can replace the out side sections (which wear out first) and leave the center section in place.

LWG
02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I have a bolt-on cutting edge and a bolt-on tooth bar. I think the bucket is much better with the extra strength derived from the heavy steel of the edge or the bar. I have looked at the Rezloh edge, and it looks really nice. I'm pleased with the flexibility of the tooth bar for rocky soil and the cutting edge for grading.