PDA

View Full Version : The Pipeline

HEO Girl
03-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Got my next job. Nashville, TN. Doesn't start for another month, around April 1st. It keeps getting pushed back due to landowner rights and such. It's intermediate scale (since they don't use low scale as a name anymore :rolleyes:) with high scale benefits.

11 miles of 20 inch, and 2 1/2 miles of 12 inch. There will be 11 directional drills and 3 giant environmental crews. They say this job is going to be hell for the environmental crew due to the fact that we are going to be going threw rich people's back yards and tying into the ex governors driveway. There's one spot where I swear the silt fence is 10 feet away from an apartment building.

They gave me the option to get my oilers book here. Which is really exciting for me. However it seems as though I'd really only work 3-4 months and then be out of a job for 6+ months. Not being really big in the pipeline here I have followed the same company I first worked for. If I labor here I'll be making a few dollars less but work from April to November or December. It's a tough decision for me as I want to follow my dream but also really need the money I'd be making from being able to work more months.

"Life is full of vicissitudes." as my grandmother would say.

grandpa
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Digging right by Willie 59's house ya be? Hmm,,, that just might be worth it Heo to see how his swimming pool fits you. I like your Avatar.... those rocks are worth money,,,, Good luck with the ponderence of your position......gramps.

HEO Girl
03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I spent a lot of time on clean up crew picking rocks last job. With all of them I picked I probably could have ruled the world :D

oldtanker
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Steady work beas long layoffs anytime. Good luck.

Ya need a bigger rock!

Rick

LBTCon
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
HEO Girl,
Went by the drop yard they have in Nashville for that pipeline project. Looks like they have most of the pipe there and most of the equipment now. The yard is located in Antioch Tennessee, about 15 miles from downtown Nashville. It can be seen off of I24 near the Hickory Hollow exit. Looks like your going to have lots of fun. Do you know where the line is going? They had another project out here last year and I am thinking it is headed towards Williamson county.(rich people) Good luck and enjoy Nashville if you get the time. You can PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Chris

HEO Girl
03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm in TN now, have been for awhile. I've been to the yard and sometimes show up to harass them when I am bored. The line is going down Bell road, following the TVA power lines. I can give you a better description than that if I had my book, when I get it back I will. The job keeps getting pushed back due to permits. TN won't allow you to even start the project unless you have 100% of your permits, unlike other states that allow you to start if you had around 80%. So right now we might start the 15th unless they get bad news on the 5th. From what I heard we are just waiting on Sheryl Crow and the Jack Daniels man to sign off so we can work on their land.

I'm itching to get back to work.

DGODGR
03-31-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd try to do the oiling for as long as it lasts and then see if you can switch over to laboring when not oiling.

Tiny
03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
I hope it all kicks off soon .

HEO Girl
04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd try to do the oiling for as long as it lasts and then see if you can switch over to laboring when not oiling.

I would absolutely do that if I thought I could get in as a laborer after. But switching from one to another is pretty slim chances as they hire what they need in the beginning and the hall side for union has to equal the company side for what they have for laborers. So if you had 4 union hall members you'd need 4 hired company union hands to balance it out. I still haven't made up my mind but will have to do so quickly.

I hope it all kicks off soon .
Me too!

LBTCon
04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Well any good news yet. Are you going to be laying pipe on the 15th. Time to get started summer is here today 81 for a high.

HEO Girl
04-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Well any good news yet. Are you going to be laying pipe on the 15th. Time to get started summer is here today 81 for a high.

The foremans started this week. MAYBE, they say maybe, the laborers for the environmental crew will be brought in Monday or Tuesday. I've decided to get on with the enviro crew as as a laborer because I'll be here from start to right near finish.

I heard if they catch you pee'n on the ROW they'll arrest you and charge you as a sex offender. Just nuts.

Tiny
04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear something is moving

Turbo21835
04-11-2013, 07:53 PM
The foremans started this week. MAYBE, they say maybe, the laborers for the environmental crew will be brought in Monday or Tuesday. I've decided to get on with the enviro crew as as a laborer because I'll be here from start to right near finish.

I heard if they catch you pee'n on the ROW they'll arrest you and charge you as a sex offender. Just nuts.

Thats a story your bosses are telling. Years ago there was a big highway job going on, and a lot of people didnt want it built. Story goes, scraper operator stopped to take a leak, and a property owner called the law. He did the typical thing, pull up a tire if you know what im saying. Well the deputy is interviewing the lady about what happened, she points where he stopped. He asked how she saw what could happen, this was a good 100 yards away from her house, and she proudly shows the deputy her binoculars. He then informed her the operator had an expectation of privacy in that position, and she was technically a peeping tom at that point. He informed her that if she called them again, she would be the one with the new bracelets

LBTCon
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Thats because you will be working near rich peoples houses. As we all know rich people dont pee they hire someone to do it for them. As far as being charged as a sex offender I doubt that, they might just make you go down to metro and get a exotic dancer lic. if they catch you. Best of luck on the job and enjoy Nashville.

HEO Girl
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
That may be so but there sure are a lot of "Do this and your fired." going around. We aren't allowed to talk to no one, not even the wardens that are going to be around us at this park area. I've never been on a job that's sounded THIS strict before. There are also some crazy things in the plans for the environmental crew. These things called eels which is another form of a log but instead of straw in it it's got rubber. Then there are logs with chips in them. These things are massive and weigh well into the 80lb range. They want them all down the silt fence with 6' T-posts every 2' in them to keep them in place. They want the T-posts hammered down so only 1' is sticking out... Silt fence with hogwire in the back, wonder how that's going to go.

Don't step on this bush, don't even look at the animals there. Can't go past these white and orange poles.

Thanks LBTCon. So far it's been great :)

CM1995
04-12-2013, 07:21 PM
That may be so but there sure are a lot of "Do this and your fired." going around.

And that's the reason you follow their rules.;)

Takes a lot of guts to take the erosion control position, that's tough work.:drinkup Personally I hate silt fence and everything that goes along with erosion control.:Banghead

I have seen these rubber wattles before but never used them. Usually class II silt fence (T-posts, hog wire, fabric) is spec'd on most jobs I do, sometimes straw or wood chip wattles/silt socks as well.

If I read your post right, you will be hammering 6' T posts 5' in the ground? Knowing the area somewhat, that is going to be a challenge with the ground conditions. Will ya'll have a hyd. post driver?

HEO Girl
04-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow! Nothing like a 75 hour first week to welcome you back! I gotta start doing more things on my months off. Starting back up to work is always rough when you've had a few months off. My feet are still healing from all the darn blisters I got. Also the hills are wicked huge! At least I've never really had to walk up anything that steep. I do know however that there are much steeper one's, it's just last job there wasn't very many. It's going good so far, lots of fence to put up.

Love my crew I work with, now if we could only get our teamster to cook us some lunch :D! My nickname Sun Drop has stuck with me to this job. The only thing I gotta say I dislike so far is not having a porta potty :(, us poor environmental crew folk don't get one very often. It's either that or it's been carried and sloshed around and there's crap and stuck toilet paper everywhere, sorry not using it, don't wanna catch any grossness from the nasty people that work there. I say if they don't give us one (or a clean one) it gives us right to use the ground! But so far that is my only complaint.

They are also not as strict as they made it out to be. Except for Radner Lake. They had 22 wardens out there one day last week. And no, you still can't talk to them, not even a hello. We've run into a few landowners that ran us off their property, and a few friendlier one's that just wanted to know what was going on, course my reply to their questions is always "I apologize but I am not allowed to say anything regarding the pipeline or they tell us we're fired, but my foreman can answer them for you." I feel awkward saying it.

We were relocating a guys waterline for his cattle (small pvc pipe) and he had the water troughs up against the spicket, obviously so the cows wouldn't rub on it and break it. Well when we put it back the guys wanted to put them way apart so they cows could get in there and drink from it. I kept telling them we needed to put it back the way he had it, but you know, I'm still kinda green and everyone passes my opinions off as, well, nothing. One of the other foremans came out to check out what we had done and mentioned that the water troughs needed to be put back against the spicket so the cows wouldn't rub on it. Man that made me feel good, and yeah, I rubbed it in a little bit with a laugh and a "I told you so" to my foreman. Sun Drop - 1, Foreman - 0!

Takes a lot of guts to take the erosion control position, that's tough work.:drinkup Personally I hate silt fence and everything that goes along with erosion control.:Banghead

I have seen these rubber wattles before but never used them. Usually class II silt fence (T-posts, hog wire, fabric) is spec'd on most jobs I do, sometimes straw or wood chip wattles/silt socks as well.

If I read your post right, you will be hammering 6' T posts 5' in the ground? Knowing the area somewhat, that is going to be a challenge with the ground conditions. Will ya'll have a hyd. post driver?

I'm not sure if it was guts or just stupidity :tong

Man you're telling me on the hating silt fence thing! Last job I had gotten on the enviro crew after most of it was already done, this time not so much. If I never have to touch silt fence again after this job life will be good :D

They are called eels and they have chopped up rubber tires in them, they do weigh about 80lbs and they have SHARP metal from the wires in the tires. I already sliced my fingers open on them quite a few times now (I know gloves right :rolleyes:). I haven't seen any of the wood chip filled one's in the yard yet.

Good news is they did away with the hammering the T-Posts all the way in the ground thanks to the spreadman fighting it. Glad they did because there is nothing but rock in most places we've been to.

A few pictures, I haven't been able to take a lot of them yet.
The rocks on a few steep hills were a little to loose to get the 1 ton up. So we got a little help.

This is my puppy Moose. He's an American Bull Dog and is 6 months in this picture. He usually comes to work with me but is being boarded for 3 weeks due to it getting pretty busy.

oldtanker
04-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Glad that thinks are finally moving for you. Good looking pup.

Rick

HEO Girl
04-27-2013, 09:49 AM
First rain day! Rain days are unheard of, I was surprised. Usually we work in it. Now I can catch up on all the house work I have been neglecting for 2 weeks. Might even fold the laundry!

Thanks Oldtanker. He really is a good boy, and smart too.

oldtanker
04-28-2013, 01:35 AM
HEO, I kept a pup for one of my SILs. He got a lab cross but is an OTR driver. She has to be the smartest dog I've ever worked with. I had her house broke in 2 weeks.

Rick

Swamp rat
04-28-2013, 07:46 AM
HEO , great sticker on your window - you will get a few comments or atleast a couple second looks !!!

CM1995
04-28-2013, 09:36 AM
HEO , great sticker on your window - you will get a few comments or atleast a couple second looks !!!

Especially in certain parts of TN.:cool:

Scrub Puller
04-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Yair . . . C'mon fellers, educate us Colonials, what's the go with the sticker?

Cheers.

Oxbow
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
College football teams and rivalries?

CM1995
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Yair . . . C'mon fellers, educate us Colonials, what's the go with the sticker?

Cheers.

College football teams and rivalries?

That's an LSU (Louisiana State University) sticker and their working in Volunteer country (University of Tennessee). We take our college football very seriously in the South.:D

Scrub Puller
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Yair . . . LOL. Gotcha, thought it would something be along those lines, thanks CM1995

Cheers

HEO Girl
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Actually there have been quite a few people who were really exciting about seeing the LSU sticker. They'd walk up and talk to me about how they used to be from Louisiana. I admit though it is not my truck, I wish it was though! I was borrowing it for the day to run some errands.

Swamp rat
05-03-2013, 06:58 PM
College ball is probably one of the easiest way to start up conversations.

HEO Girl
05-15-2013, 08:40 PM
What an exciting past few days we have had. We had a small frack out inside the Radnor Lake area, Otter Creek specifically. It was a huge deal. I will post a couple articles that pretty much explain the jist of what went down.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/22255268/300-gallons-of-clay-spill-at-radnor-lake
This article says we placed sand bags but they were actually silt socks with wood chips inside them. It also says there were 50 people when actually there was about 40.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22256154/300-gallons-of-clay-water-spilled-in-radnor-lake-state-park
Again this one states 50 people which there was more like 40.

The one thing they don't mention is that they don't allow anyone off the ROW to check for frack outs. The guy who found it was testing the water and just happened upon it. If they had allowed us to get someone to walk the area daily to look for these things it probably wouldn't have been this bad and could have been contained BEFORE reaching Otter Creek.

Anyways it's all cleaned up now. Just waiting on the assessment to say whether or not we have to go back in and clean it up again. It looked pretty good when we left. We hauled over 800 buckets out of that place by hand. What a crazy past few days it has been!

Turbo21835
05-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh no, Bentonite!

willie59
05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Oh no, Bentonite!

LoL, how true Turbo, "Oh no, Bentonite!", as if the alarmists want us to think it's some kind of "it's going to kill us!" material. When in fact it's a natural clay material, totally harmless. For those who don't know the product, commonly used in drilling. Let's say you drill a drinking water well. You hit water at 150 ft down. You install a steel pipe (casing) in the hole to just above the water you hit to make a clear path to the water. The casing is what you'll install your well pump down to the water. Once casing is installed, you'll place bentonite for several feet around the end of the casing to make a seal to prevent surface contaminants going around outside of casing and contaminating drinking water. That's right, it's so dangerous that we use it to seal a drinking water well. :D

Shenandoah
05-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Oh no, Bentonite!

Well, once you mix it with dihydrogen monoxide it really muddy's up the environment...

willie59
05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Well, once you mix it with dihydrogen monoxide it really muddy's up the environment...

Out of nothing more than pure curiosity Shenandoah...just where does dihydrogen monoxide enter into this subject? :beatsme

Shenandoah
05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Willie...it's water....(H2O)

stinkycat
05-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Oh no, Bentonite!

My god don't let my cat know that cat litter attacked a lake in Tenn he will quit using his box

willie59
05-15-2013, 11:45 PM

Ok, just was curious how it related. :)

Shenandoah
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Ok, just was curious how it related. :)

It's funny how calling something by a name people don't immediately recognize makes their antennas stand up. Like with clay. Call it Bentonite and the news cameras start rolling. Mine was just another example.

Thanks for playing along. :)

HEO Girl
05-16-2013, 08:55 PM
We hauled another 74 buckets of just pure creek mud out today. They wanted us to clean up the mud that we had made by digging in the creek to get the bentonite. Then we had to take down trail we had made with caution tape and cut down limbs and trees and lay them in the path to make it seem like we were never there. They want us to spray the limbs and bushes we cut with a herbicide to kill them from what I understand. I guess I'm still not quite sure why. Just seems to be damaging the park area more but that's just what I think. There must be a reason behind it.

Willie, they are worried about it damaging the bugs and craw fish that are in that area I guess is what the big deal is.

Here is another article
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130516/NEWS11/305160069/Radnor-Lake-spill-sparks-Piedmont-safety-vow

grandpa
05-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Rolling on the floor laughing my posterior off..... that's why willie drinks BEER.:D

CM1995
05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
This is an interesting thread and warrants a better place here on HEF than TGIF.;) Let's move it to Jobsite Coordination. Keep us posted HEO Girl and good work!:thumbsup

HEO Girl
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
This is an interesting thread and warrants a better place here on HEF than TGIF.;) Let's move it to Jobsite Coordination. Keep us posted HEO Girl and good work!:thumbsup

Woohoo! Finally moving up a little :D thanks!

Monday we had all came in as usual to start the day but the warehouse wasn't open and they were telling us not to load up trucks until after the Monday morning safety meeting. That is where we all learned about what had happened:

As of yesterday the job had been shut down by TVA due to one of our hammer ho's hitting the high tension (61k volt) power lines on Saturday. It burnt everything to a crisp in a 30 foot radius of the ho and they say flames shot up from the tracks. The guy running the ho jumped out of his machine, ran, got in his truck, and drove off. No one's heard from him since. No one was killed or injured.

The lines usually sag in the heat of the day they say, but that really didn't play a factor in what had happened. One of the lines was as low as 26 feet (measured after the accident). At noon on Saturday he was on a hill hammering out a bore hole. They had built a road so as to not get to close to the lines, however the operator made the decision to slide down the hill on the other side instead of following what he had been doing and that's when he struck the line. It arc'd out before he actually touched it but they do say that he did make contact.

I don't know if anyone here has dealt with TVA but they are a federally owned big giant company that doesn't mess around. It's either their way or the high way and they move at their own pace.

Now the company has to figure out how to show TVA that no more incidents will happen again.

Yesterday 2 laborers from each crew went to learn how to become spotters. These laborers will wear orange vests and be with the ho at all times when operating. So now laborers are doing what oilers should be doing. :beatsme

Buckethead
05-23-2013, 09:17 PM
LoL, how true Turbo, "Oh no, Bentonite!", as if the alarmists want us to think it's some kind of "it's going to kill us!" material. When in fact it's a natural clay material, totally harmless. For those who don't know the product, commonly used in drilling. Let's say you drill a drinking water well. You hit water at 150 ft down. You install a steel pipe (casing) in the hole to just above the water you hit to make a clear path to the water. The casing is what you'll install your well pump down to the water. Once casing is installed, you'll place bentonite for several feet around the end of the casing to make a seal to prevent surface contaminants going around outside of casing and contaminating drinking water. That's right, it's so dangerous that we use it to seal a drinking water well. :D

Yes it's drill mud, harmless. I guess maybe those people are confusing the normal bentonite-and-water drill mud used for horizontal directional drilling with fracking fluid used in gas well drilling?

Oxbow
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
As of yesterday the job had been shut down by TVA due to one of our hammer ho's hitting the high tension (61k volt) power lines on Saturday. It burnt everything to a crisp in a 30 foot radius of the ho and they say flames shot up from the tracks. The guy running the ho jumped out of his machine, ran, got in his truck, and drove off. No one's heard from him since. No one was killed or injured.

The operator is lucky to be alive if he jumped out. An articulated haul truck driver in this area died a couple of years ago during a severe lightning storm as he touched his foot to the ground.

Enjoy the rest of the project HEO girl!

stock
05-25-2013, 02:00 AM
Do keep us informed Heo Girl. How far are you from Maine?

LBTCon
05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
She a long way from home. Almost half way across the country. And a lot further south.

CM1995
05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
About 1200 miles south I would guess Stock.

stock
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM
She a long way from home. Almost half way across the country. And a lot further south.

About 1200 miles south I would guess Stock.

Thanks CM ....some other folks seem to forget that if I drive fast for three hours in any direction I'd drown in the sea as Eire is only a wee island.......

"America or The Americas are two continents stretching for 42,549,000 km2.
Ireland is a moderately sized island in the north Atlantic sized in at 84,421 km2.

So America is about 500 times larger than Ireland.

If you meant the United States of America it is 88 times larger."

CM1995
05-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks CM ....some other folks seem to forget that if I drive fast for three hours in any direction I'd drown in the sea as Eire is only a wee island.......

I hear ya' Stock. It takes me 4.5/5 hours to drive to the Gulf of Mexico and never leave the State of Alabama. Maine to Tennessee is quite a haul.

HEO Girl
05-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted sooner. It got quite busy there, still is really but I figure I'd give you all an update.

We did end up going back to work the next day after I posted about them shutting the job down. So Wednesday of last week is when we started back up. I guess the spotter class and a lot of sweet talking did the trick for us. We've been pretty steady since then putting in about 3,000 feet a day of silt fence (wire back and regular) and safety fence (aka snow fence where I come from at least). Now that number isn't for each one, it's combined so usually 3,000 feet total for the day. I imagine at the pace we all go we could get much more as we are usually right up our mini ho's butt while putting in fence. Either way you look at it we are definitely making the company some money.

It's starting to get hot. I know, 80-90* piece of cake right? Well I come from Maine where the high all summer can be 90* for like 1 day... so for me it's pretty damn hot. I'm just thankful I came in this time where I get a warm up period instead of getting thrown right into 110* heat like last year.

We got what I like to call a Bad*** on the crew now. Someone who is around my age, been doing this 3 or so years, thinks he knows it all. I'm sure he knows quite a bit more than I do no doubt but it's just the way he throws it out there in your face. Well today I schooled him on reading simple plans. He has told us many times before that he could read any kind of plan. My foreman gave him the plans on the page where we were for the day and asked him to point to where we started and where we are now and to give him station numbers. The guy pointed to the opposite end and read the station number as 3+00. The numbers were spaced out due to it running into a creek and two of the other numbers were on the other side of the creek on the page. My foreman then went to me and asked me to show him the same thing. I had to look for a minute to figure out where the road was but once I found that I pointed and said we started at 562+00 and were up to 583+00. He asked me how many feet that was and I replied 2,100. He told me thanks, put the plans back in his truck and told us to get back to work. The guy didn't really talk to me much the rest of the day, think he was a little pride hurt.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. More silt fence, and... more silt fence. Haven't really taken any pictures but I should, I think threads are so much more exciting when you have pictures!

I put Moose back in boarding school, he was with me for 2 weeks out there but the ticks are horrible! Poor thing was coming home with about as many if not more than what I had. I take off at least 15 on me at the end of the day. At one point I had 21 on me. Different school this time though as the other place didn't inform me he was getting a little thin while he was there and when I went to pick him up you could see hip bones and back bone. I was NOT impressed. This new kennel he's in is 100x better. They actually train police and protection dogs but have a basic obedience course as well. He's there for a month and I expressed my concerns for his weight and told them the story, they assured me they would keep a close eye on it and I gave them permission to up his food anytime. He gets exercised a lot more there and they have a better handle on just how much he should have. So hopefully by the time I get him back he won't look like I abuse him! I still visit him on Sundays, they let me play with him in the fenced in yard which is really nice. Here are some pictures of him.

The day I left him.

Learning the sit. This place does not use 'stay' as a command. If told to sit the dog should stay in the sitting position until told it is ok to move again. Same thing with the command down. So even though he knows sit and down already he has to relearn them both, in a sense, as he is used to 'sit', 'stay'.

Do keep us informed Heo Girl. How far are you from Maine?
I am 1,248 miles from my house. And it takes me around 22 hours if not more to get home, that's accounting for traffic and pee stops.

HEO Girl
06-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I will now commence to upload loads of pictures for you guys to make up for my lack of it lately! :D

A little nap time. Shh, don't tell the boss.

A run of pipe. I never knew what those weird tractors with the canopies attached to them were. They call them a tack rig. Spoiled welders.

Silt fence delivery service. The ho carried it about half way for us before he had to drop it and use his bucket to help him threw the mud. Half way is better than nothing!

We spent a couple hours in this one spot and really beefed it up. This place had washed out twice due to storms and we were for sure we had it this time. Silt sock, hay, extra stakes, replaced silt fence. We even put up some silt fence up the hill a little ways and the ho made a nice deep hole for the silt to run into in case it got so high it went over the water bar. We weren't ever coming back here again for a wash out... 20 minutes later it rained, I mean it was like someone dropped the ocean on us. We spent the next 2 hours repairing and cleaning out the silt that had washed down again. The water was so bad it even managed to push the silt sock we had staked in to the side.

HEO Girl
06-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Clearing crew with their chipper.

Getting some help up and down some hills when loaded. I've seen them have to help the trucks unloaded too. Just not enough traction on the rocks/road that was built.

Probably my favorite place for the day. Everyone said she was mean but in actuality she was super friendly. I even shared part of my lunch (apple) with her. I talked to her owner who said she was an old trail horse he had had for 20 years now. Said she was retired, and that her name was Annie-B.

HEO Girl
06-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Here are some pictures of one of the direction drill pads This is the one that got shut down due to the frack out in Radnor.

A panoramic picture of the drill site. There are 2 drills here one to the right and one to the left that you can't see very well.

KWD
06-16-2013, 06:47 PM
interesting pictures

kmow what you mean about the dog, I prefer mine to 99% of people

stock
06-20-2013, 04:37 AM
interesting pictures

know what you mean about the dog, I prefer mine to 99% of people

Strange thing for a mick to say................

Excellent as always Heogirl.................

Dozerboy
06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Those welders ain't spoiled ours just sit in their trucks in the ac most of the day.

HEO Girl
06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Dozerboy, trust me ours do too. It's almost like they are untouchable, like some kind of gods in a sense. They mostly stick to themselves. Heaven forbid if you ever had a problem with one of them, you'd be long gone before anyone would ever think about reprimanding or running one of them off.

Although I will admit there are some pretty decent one's here.

KWD
06-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Stock , there less hassle than people

CM1995
06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Stock , there less hassle than people

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for two hours and see which one is happy to see you when you open the hatch.:D

Oxbow
06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for two hours and see which one is happy to see you when you open the hatch.:D

I like my dog too much to do that to him! (Just kidding Sweetie, good thing she doesn't read this).

KWD
06-22-2013, 05:43 PM

:laugh:laugh:l

Oxbow
06-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Although I will admit there are some pretty decent one's here.

Meaning good welders?;)

HEO Girl
07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
It is finally starting to cool off a little this week! Man oh man was it freaking hot here! Maine winters aren't looking so bad after all.

Shh, don't tell the operator steward. I was pretty excited to get some seat time, it was like 10 minutes, but hey, I take what I can get! Nothing super exciting just following the guys around so they could throw rocks in my bucket. Which reminds me, we are now environmental and clean up. Which means I get to pick MORE ROCK, and sticks, lots and lots of sticks. We raked 5 apartment buildings back yards by hand because we didn't have the harley rake that goes on the back of the tractor yet, it took a whole day and a half.

A few days before this I actually got some time on the mini excavator! I wasn't able to dig the ditch for the silt fence but I was able to back fill it due to our operator leaving for the day.

Moose is baaaaaaaaack. Trying to teach him to pick up sticks off the ROW and take them off to the side and drop them. He's gotta start earning his keep after all.

The crew loves Moose... well most of them anyways. I always go by the rule "You don't like my dog, I don't like you." :rolleyes:.

HEO Girl
07-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Mulching with the Marooka. I've never seen one of these before, last year we used the 1-ton with the mulcher on the back to go threw and spread hay. Guess they figured the ruts that the truck made weren't good on finished grade and got something that wouldn't leave any. Sure does help us out, now we don't have to go back and rake out the ruts.

We were in the yard for a few days filling rock bags and I saw this thing come in. I have no idea what it is really, but it looked big and wicked cool with a double truck crane lift.

The 2 safety guys we have out here will occasionally ride around and drop us off watermelon, pineapple, mangos, and papayas. A nice little treat for everyone.

Hope everyone has a good 4th of July. It's says it's suppose to rain here in TN. Hope it doesn't.

CM1995
07-03-2013, 07:16 PM
It is finally starting to cool off a little this week! Man oh man was it freaking hot here! Maine winters aren't looking so bad after all.

That was just a little "warm up", it hasn't gotten hot yet..:cool2 August is around the corner, with temps that match the humidity % is coming and it's not nice to say the least.:cool:

I have enjoyed the spring like weather though.:D

What kind of hay blower do they have on the Marooka?

willie59
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Agreed, we need a close up shot of the Morooka. :cool:

HEO Girl
07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Agreed, we need a close up shot of the Morooka. :cool:
I will definitely get some more pictures for you. I'm not sure what kind of blower is on the back. I just know we've been having some trouble with it shutting down on us but I guess the mechanics took care of that. Right now all clean up has halted and we are back on environmental due to another frack out.

Here is what the news has to say about it
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22763010/drilling-material-spills-into-sevenmile-creek

There was basically no 4th of July for us as the enviro crew had to work to get it contained and somewhat cleaned up. The only thing that stopped us was the extremely high water level. You just couldn't get anyone safely down in that creek to clean it out.

We attempted again today in a downpour. It started off as a drizzle and I was down there in the creek trying to scrape up the drill mud so my partner could shovel it into a bucket to have it carried out. Meanwhile a sucker truck was over in one of the deep holes sucking out the mud. We couldn't quite get the water all damned off and the water was still moving fairly quick so we were just working on what wasn't going to get washed down on the edges. The water wasn't over my boots... yet. It started to rain extremely hard. I was in the deeper part of the water now about to my knees. Before I knew it it was up to my waist, rising by the minute, and moving extremely fast, had logs, sticks, branches, and other random objects floating by me before we finally got word that they were calling it a day and to get the heck out of that creek. I took one step to my left in an attempt to get up on the steep banking but lost my footing and if it wasn't for someone grabbing me I definitely would have went for one hell of a ride, can't say as I would have drowned, but definitely would have gone down stream.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of what it was when I started and what it was when we actually got out. It turned from creek into a raging river in such a short amount of time.

Dualie
07-05-2013, 11:59 PM
that big thing with the two crane pic is a pig launcher i believe. Its a launching portal for the the pipeline inspection robot/cleaning system.

HEO Girl
08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
So the Marooka has been gone for a month. Right after I posted that we started to have issues with it shutting off randomly, apparently it's real problem was undetermined. But the lady that ran it was laid off anyways. So we went back to using a tow behind on one of the trucks. No big deal but I still never figured out what kind of blower was on the back of it.

If it's someones birthday from our crew we usually try to do something special for lunch. This time it was our teamsters birthday (orange shirt) and we got hot wings and cake!

Some of the awesome hills we get to curlex (spelling?). Someone at the top rolls it to the person in the middle who straightens it out and rolls it to the person at the bottom. Then we got a guy or 2 that goes behind and pins them. Lucky for us we had some 8 foot rolls left to do this hill. Sucks doing such a big area with 4 foot rolls but that's all they are getting us at the warehouse now.

This is our new operator :tong
You know by now I have to have a picture of Moose in all my posts! So here's another one! He was hanging out running around the yard while we filled stemming bags.

I saved the best picture for last.
I bought a new truck! 2000 F350 Short Bed with a 7.3 in it. Has a little over 200k miles but was well taken care of. Bought it off one of the assistant spreadmans :) The day he signed the title over to me I brought 2 pages of questions I wanted to know about the truck. He thought I was nuts but says he's glad to hear I'll be taking good care of it. This thing is clean as a whistle and I got it for a good price!

Sold the Bravada to some guy in the yard. He hasn't come to pick it up yet but has given me half of what I asked for it. My fist vehicle... wish I could keep it just because! Haha. I'll try not to cry as he drives off in it.

stock
08-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Well wear Katlyn............

willie59
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
The day he signed the title over to me I brought 2 pages of questions I wanted to know about the truck. He thought I was nuts...

LoL, he just isn't aware you went to school here at HEF. You asked all manner of questions here growing up.:D

CM1995
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Congrats on the truck!:drinkup

That truck looks well taken care of and I would guess is mostly HWY miles. The 7.3's are great motors, I have one a '01 F250, it's had a few sensors replaced, alternator and currently needs a fuel control module. Not bad considering it's 12 years old with 150K miles.;)

HEO Girl
08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Congrats on the truck!:drinkup

That truck looks well taken care of and I would guess is mostly HWY miles. The 7.3's are great motors, I have one a '01 F250, it's had a few sensors replaced, alternator and currently needs a fuel control module. Not bad considering it's 12 years old with 150K miles.;)

It is, the truck was his baby. It was used to haul his camper around and when not in use was pretty much put up. It has a couple scratches that I'd like to get taken care of before they rust but other than that there isn't any rust what so ever. Even underneath looks decent for being 13 years old.

I did ask him what he's had to replace on it if anything and he said he just put brand new injectors in it a year ago. Everything with fluid in it had been flushed one year ago too; oil changed every 3,000 miles like clock work. And the tires are spectacular, brand new the beginning of this year I've never had a vehicle with brand new tires. Oh and ALL the windows work! He wasn't the only owner but the first person owned it till 20k miles so I'd say he's pretty much been it's #1 owner the whole time. And I know him and truly believe him when he tells me he's kept up the maintenance on it like no other. The reason I asked so many questions was so I could also keep up the maintenance on it like he does. Heck I'd like it to last another 200k miles :tong

CM1995
08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
With proper maintenance and care, a 7.3 could get a million miles.

qball
08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
You need a drag-up tank and a ground strap, you silly pipeliner!

RocksnRoses
08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Congratulations on the new truck HEO and thanks for the pics, there are a lot of people here, following your progress, you should be proud of yourself.

Rocks.

willie59
08-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm hoping HEO and her jobsite are OK, Nashville got absolutely hammered by heavy rain and flooding today.

td25c
08-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Looking good HEO& Keep up the fine work:thumbsup Heard the news willie59 www.weather.com/news/weather-severe/nashville-flash-flood-20130808 Thoughts & prayers go out to those in the path of the flooding .

HEO Girl
08-10-2013, 07:57 PM
You need a drag-up tank and a ground strap, you silly pipeliner!
I got one. 69 gallon... I think. And I got to fill it up at the yard before I took it home ;) it pays to buy something off an assistant spreadman

Congratulations on the new truck HEO and thanks for the pics, there are a lot of people here, following your progress, you should be proud of yourself.

Rocks.
Thanks Rocks!

I'm hoping HEO and her jobsite are OK, Nashville got absolutely hammered by heavy rain and flooding today.
We got a TON of rain but surprisingly my area wasn't hit like some in the news. I mean we got a ton of rain but hardly flooding in my home area or jobsite area (minus the trenches that were already dug, those were quite full). It stopped our clean up in it's tracks due to the ground being to wet to do anything with. We had 2 rain days but there always has to be an environmental crew there on standby and we were there on the first rain out which wasn't horrible, think we ended up putting 1 sock down. The other crew stayed the second rain out which was pretty bad rain wise but surprisingly not a whole lot washed. We had pretty much gotten all problem areas buttoned up, seeded, and mulched. The only thing we always end up doing after a rain is cleaning silt out of our silt sock dams at Radnor Lake. Honestly I don't know why they keep us there. Once an area washes and breaks the silt fence down there's not much we can do to put the fence back up until the rain stops and the water stops raging over that spot.

Edit: Looks like I was semi wrong. A few people staying at a trailer park ended up getting flood water in their trailers.

HEO Girl
08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Well the Monday morning safety meeting group sure is getting smaller and smaller. They told us today that basically there will be one more big lay off then the people that are left over will be here for the long haul so if you want to go home now speak up. I'm hoping to make it till January, who knows.

We broke the 1-ton :( . We were going up a steep hill and about to cross the top to get down the other side when we heard a loud THUD and we lost all mobility. Got out to check, GIANT hole in the oil pan, I mean giant. Caused by none other than, a giant rock! We were just low enough that when we hit the rock it must have gotten stuck and rolled upwards making the hole. So we turned the motor off since, well, there wasn't any oil in it. Well now we don't have any brakes to get us down the hill and no steering. So this is what they came up with. They decided that at this point they'd just use the ho in the back as to not rip the truck in half.
Sorry, no pictures of the actual hole in the pan.

A picture of the area where we were putting on rock shield. They had 2 crews working on rock shield to make it go faster. We beat the pants off of the crew that does it pretty often.

Went to my first PBR!
This was the best picture of the night. They move so fast! And the bulls are wicked jacked.

On another note, no one down here knows what an english muffin is and it's a little depressing.

mitch504
08-26-2013, 08:30 PM
That's not true!!!

Our McDonald's have egg Mcmuffins!!!

(At least we have sense enough to know Chef-boy-ad-dee beats sphagetti-os!!!)

CM1995
08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
On another note, no one down here knows what an english muffin is and it's a little depressing.

Who would want an english muffin when you can have a biscuit??:confused:

:tong

Who was driving the 1 ton?

monster76
08-26-2013, 09:38 PM
So the Marooka has been gone for a month. Right after I posted that we started to have issues with it shutting off randomly, apparently it's real problem was undetermined. But the lady that ran it was laid off anyways. So we went back to using a tow behind on one of the trucks. No big deal but I still never figured out what kind of blower was on the back of it.

If it's someones birthday from our crew we usually try to do something special for lunch. This time it was our teamsters birthday (orange shirt) and we got hot wings and cake!

Some of the awesome hills we get to curlex (spelling?). Someone at the top rolls it to the person in the middle who straightens it out and rolls it to the person at the bottom. Then we got a guy or 2 that goes behind and pins them. Lucky for us we had some 8 foot rolls left to do this hill. Sucks doing such a big area with 4 foot rolls but that's all they are getting us at the warehouse now.

This is our new operator :tong
You know by now I have to have a picture of Moose in all my posts! So here's another one! He was hanging out running around the yard while we filled stemming bags.

I saved the best picture for last.
I bought a new truck! 2000 F350 Short Bed with a 7.3 in it. Has a little over 200k miles but was well taken care of. Bought it off one of the assistant spreadmans :) The day he signed the title over to me I brought 2 pages of questions I wanted to know about the truck. He thought I was nuts but says he's glad to hear I'll be taking good care of it. This thing is clean as a whistle and I got it for a good price!

Sold the Bravada to some guy in the yard. He hasn't come to pick it up yet but has given me half of what I asked for it. My fist vehicle... wish I could keep it just because! Haha. I'll try not to cry as he drives off in it.

nice truck and dont worry 200k aint bad at all my 99 7.3 has right around 350k my old mans 7.3 has more than mine. and neither one of us are planning to get rid of our trucks any time soon.

HEO Girl
08-26-2013, 10:13 PM
That's not true!!!

Our McDonald's have egg Mcmuffins!!!

(At least we have sense enough to know Chef-boy-ad-dee beats sphagetti-os!!!)
If it's ravioli and I can heat it up somehow yes. But if I gotta eat it cold Sketti-O's is where it's at.

Who would want an english muffin when you can have a biscuit??:confused:

:tong

Who was driving the 1 ton?
Biscuits are bleh. I want an english muffin!

Our teamster was. I guess from what I hear they tried to run him off for it too. I didn't think it was his fault, couldn't of really been helped, it just happened.

nice truck and dont worry 200k aint bad at all my 99 7.3 has right around 350k my old mans 7.3 has more than mine. and neither one of us are planning to get rid of our trucks any time soon.
Glad to hear that!

willie59
08-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Why does no one in the south know what an English muffin is? Actually, we do know what they are, but you moving from Maine to Nashville Tennessee, I'm quite certain you have discovered food items and choices are "regional" HEO. Much the same way, as my experience in Massachusetts back in the early 90's, they had no clue what a Pinto bean was, nor did they have them for supper. Couldn't find country sausage there, only sausage links for breakfast. And yes, a true southerner likes grits, the debate is to eat them with butter and sugar or just with black pepper sprinkled on them. And CM is spot on, we do biscuits.

Most all southern cooking goes back to the early days of our nation. In the south, in the days before electricity and refrigeration, food was prepared with what you had to work with. Cornmeal, flour, slab of bacon, salt cured pork, churned butter, buttermilk, and all manner of vegetables were on the menu. Beef had to be prepared fresh and quick, again, we didn't have refrigeration or ice blocks from the great lakes. Same with fish, catch it and prepare it that evening. Salt cured pork, hams and bacon, were mainstays, as well as meal breads, cornbread and biscuits, veggies were fresh in the summer and canned for winter use. :)

FSERVICE
08-26-2013, 10:34 PM
that was going to be my question!! do you like cornbread? not the sweet cake like cornbread real corn bread made with buttermilk? ;) lol fried of course!!!

willie59
08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Yes, cornbread is a must with pinto beans and fried taters FSERVICE, along with some homegrown maters and slices of onion, a little chow chow to go with the beans. And yes, I always make cornbread with buttermilk, and, coincidentally, I made some fried cornbread just yesterday. :D

FSERVICE
08-26-2013, 10:48 PM
& I didn't get a invite!!!! I see how you are!!! lol it sounds really good especially the chowchow, haven't had any for years!! THATS TRUELY HOW YOU CAN TELL IF YOU ARE FROM THE SOUTH;) lol

monster76
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
ya'll are making me hungry

willie59
08-26-2013, 11:06 PM
& I didn't get a invite!!!! I see how you are!!! lol it sounds really good especially the chowchow, haven't had any for years!! THATS TRUELY HOW YOU CAN TELL IF YOU ARE FROM THE SOUTH;) lol

I'm southern born and southern bred FSERVICE. :cool:

ya'll are making me hungry

LoL, sorry about that monster76, but I'm very proud of HEO, she has a dream and she's pursuing it. Left her home state of Maine, traveled to Virginia, and now in Tennessee. She's experienced a lot of changes of scenery, I'm hoping she experiences the various cuisines that come with the territory that she's in at the time. :)

monster76
08-26-2013, 11:13 PM
its good though we should be proud of people of like that, no better feeling than turning a dream into reality

willie59
08-26-2013, 11:18 PM
its good though we should be proud of people of like that, no better feeling than turning a dream into reality

Well, it's kind of funny now. HEO was a teenager here, and yes, she had her "teenage tendencies", managed to get herself banned on occasion. :D But it's all good, she has matured and has always had a dream of working with heavy equipment. But unlike those who only "have a dream", she's chasing after it. She's our beloved pet project here and has our respect and we do all we can to encourage her. :cool:

mitch504
08-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Well, it's kind of funny now. HEO was a teenager here, and yes, she had her "teenage tendencies", managed to get herself banned on occasion. :D But it's all good, she has matured and has always had a dream of working with heavy equipment. But unlike those who only "have a dream", she's chasing after it. She's our beloved pet project here and has our respect and we do all we can to encourage her. :cool:

I second that, Willie. She hasn't sat around waiting for what she wants to be handed to her, and she hasn't complained about starting at the bottom And working her way up.

We sure should be proud of her (even if she does eat English muffins and spaghetti-Os).
Mitch

stock
08-27-2013, 06:32 PM
I second that, Willie. She hasn't sat around waiting for what she wants to be handed to her, and she hasn't complained about starting at the bottom And working her way up.

We sure should be proud of her (even if she does eat English muffins and spaghetti-Os).
Mitch

what is spaghetti-o's?? they like pot noodle..........

HEO Girl
08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys! No one ever got anything from just sitting around a moping about. Well, maybe unless you have rich parents, which I do not lol.
I'm kicking as...-er I mean butt, and taking names!

Yes there is certainly a difference in food from up there to down here. They have all kinds of canned foods that I've never really seen before. I tried a muscadine grape the other day, never had that before. I'm not a huge fan of corn bread, I don't really like a whole lot of breads really, except english muffins. Everyone brings a ham and cheese sammich with bread and I just bring ham and cheese rolled up together for lunch sometimes. I still have not tried neck bones and rice, it kinda sounds nasty. I did try some gumbo, but it wasn't homemade and I wasn't really a fan. I am not as brave down here as I was when I first went to New York to visit my brother, there I tried, pigs tails, bone marrow, and Thai food (the real stuff). I actually loved every single bit of it. Bone marrow is right up there with my love for butter, seriously, it was like so much amazingness in my mouth.

Most people new who talk to me always ask almost immediately where I'm from because "I don't sound like I'm from anywhere near the south."

Stock those look more like our "Cup of Noodles"

These are Sketti-O's and they are delicious! Don't let anyone tell you different!

I'm dog sitting another foremans ole' girl (She's 14, black lab) while he flew to check out another job for a couple days. This is the black lab that Moose met his first day out on the right of way last year when he was just a couple days over 8 weeks old. Round' here I don't give out "free" treats, you gotta work for them. This is Moose and Zoey sitting for a treat. I call Zoey my sweet and gentle girl and Moose is my bull in a china closet who steps on your feet. I have a huge bruise on my right foot that NEVER heals because he's always stepping on it.

We got called to remove a deer off of the ROW and bring it to the road so Metro could come and pick it up. Seemed like it had died not to long ago, it was stiff but wasn't bloated at all. The ticks on this thing were insane to see. We aren't sure how it died. I wanted to cut off a whole back leg or something and stick it in my freezer for a month (kills parasites) so I could get free meat for Moose! But they said no :(
Nice rack on it though.

bill onthehill
08-27-2013, 08:24 PM
You have to get with the hillbilly way of spinning stories and tell folks how you spun the ex around twice and took it down with one swing. Nice looking young buck anyway. Glad to see you are getting a break from the rain. A wet muddy summer takes it's toll on you.

monster76
08-27-2013, 08:34 PM
you how many times i stuff mac and cheese and other canned pasta things under the hood of my vehicles so i can always have a warm snack to keep me from buying the death sandwiches at the fast food joints.

ValleyFirewood
08-27-2013, 10:31 PM
What part of Maine? I grew up in Northern Maine, moved to Alaska in 2002.

stock
08-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Damn girl that's a fine farmers tan you got, must be sunny down there in the south.................... this summer we managed 15 days with out rain and they declared we were in a drought...................

stock
08-28-2013, 07:00 AM

Our version but not a fan .................

More to my liking..............and is ready in five minutes.............might explain the 40+ waist................

HEO Girl
08-31-2013, 04:02 PM
What part of Maine? I grew up in Northern Maine, moved to Alaska in 2002.
I lived in Augusta pretty near all my life. So I'm kind of in the southern part of Maine. Northern Maine is my favorite though.

Damn girl that's a fine farmers tan you got, must be sunny down there in the south.................... this summer we managed 15 days with out rain and they declared we were in a drought...................
It's a wicked sexy farmer's tan :naughty! I used to tan after work a couple times a week to keep my body even'd out. Then I just stopped caring, so the rest of me is extremely pasty white lol. Not like I have any time to go to the beach or the pool or anything like that anyways.

On a side note
2 Days Off!!! Got out at noon today!!

CM1995
08-31-2013, 04:56 PM
Why does no one in the south know what an english muffin is!?

We know what it is it's just they suck, so nobody eats them.:tong:D

grandpa
08-31-2013, 05:41 PM
We know what it is it's just they suck, so nobody eats them.:tong:D

That's just blasphemy.... you peanut pushers don't know squat!!!!:stirthepot:D

mitch504
08-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Down here in the south most of our cooking is derived from the French. Now, you ask anybody the world over, had they rather eat French food, or English.

Oh, and we're great lovers, too.

Don't bother mentioning the cowardice thing, the US military has historically been mostly southern.

HEO Girl
08-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Mitch! You just reminded me of something funny that happened at work. So lately there has been a lot of tension between a few of the crew. A couple have threatened to drag up, ect. A few have even cried. Well I seem to be the group shrink for some reason and I used to be really sweet and all listening and such. Well it gets old you know. So one day someone was complaining about another person about how they were mean and junk and basically being really really sensitive and emotional. He asked me what I thought about it and I may have kind of been having a bad day and my response was something like "I think you all should put your big girl panties on. Sorry us northern girls aren't as sensitive as you southern boys, but give me a break! Grow up and do work!" It was slightly different and I may have had to wash my mouth out with soap after saying it. But of course you know that kinda talk ain't allowed here ;)
I am seriously starting to think you southern boys are a bunch of sissy's cuz that's all I see here! :tong

I mean someone can only complain so gosh darn much before it starts driving other people up the wall. Don't get me wrong, I do it too sometimes, I'm not all innocent but I do know when to shut my mouth... well sometimes.

Edit: Also that deer. Well Metro never came and got it and someone cut the head off it and just left the rest. It's now rotting beside the road ontop of one of our silt soxxs. Really hope we aren't the one's that have to clean that up :throwup

Oxbow
09-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Can't wait for the feedback from the "Southern Boys" on this one HEO girl!

CM1995
09-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Can't wait for the feedback from the "Southern Boys" on this one HEO girl!

A few guys on a crew does not a region make - in my Yoda voice.:tong

willie59
09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
A few guys on a crew does not a region make - in my Yoda voice.:tong

That's my thoughts CM, I've worked in pretty much all the southern states, as far north as Massachusetts, both Virginia states, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and as far west as Colorado, it's been my experience in all those places you can find someone on a construction crew that will find some reason to b-i-itch and complain, region has little to do with it. :)

kshansen
09-01-2013, 05:33 PM
That's my thoughts CM, I've worked in pretty much all the southern states, as far north as Massachusetts, both Virginia states, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and as far west as Colorado, it's been my experience in all those places you can find someone on a construction crew that will find some reason to b-i-itch and complain, region has little to do with it. :)

Well I have not been around a lot as I still work at the same quarry I started at back in 1968 HEO girl probably don't know there are guys that old still working! Anyhow we have one guy who is always complaining, he threw a real hissy fit the other day just because I had to do an oil change on his 2012 Cat haul truck. Well really I tried to get it done fast, just somehow took all day! Next truck came due for service and that truck driver had no problems, his was done in time for lunch.

HEO Girl
09-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Well I suppose this is true. Maybe I was just raised different. There was no complaining you just did what you were told, complaining usually made it much much worse. If you were a complainer you sure learned quick to keep your mouth shut! I'm trying not to lose that trait as I go along because it's a good one to keep. It is quite funny to watch a grown man throw a hissy fit sometimes though. Sometimes it's also funny to throw in a "I told you it wouldn't work out and we shoulda done it the way I suggested!".

I had a treat one morning. Took the foremans truck to get his oil changed, got out to help in what I could and was told I could hop back into the cab and sleep for a bit and he'd let me know when he was done. Woohoo! Extra minutes of sleep are always much appreciated. I love the grease man!

kshansen
09-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I had a treat one morning. Took the foremans truck to get his oil changed, got out to help in what I could and was told I could hop back into the cab and sleep for a bit and he'd let me know when he was done. Woohoo! Extra minutes of sleep are always much appreciated. I love the grease man!

You get paid to sleep, maybe I should get a job there!

Have to admit I have been known to complain myself, mostly about the guys who design equipment without taking into account those of us who have to fix them. Have called many engineers things that would get you or me banned from the forum!

ScottAR
09-01-2013, 10:55 PM
I've worked a few places in my time on this earth... There's always one or two that complain about most everything. Work is not called funtime for a reason.

willie59
09-01-2013, 11:36 PM
One thing that has always humored me HEO, and again, not restricted to region, is that with construction hands, if it rains just a few drops they complain and they're ready to call it quits. But those same hands will spend hours, soaking wet in the cold rain, in a tree stand hoping to get a shot at a deer that never shows up.

CM1995
09-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Well I suppose this is true.

There is no supposing, you'll find out with time.:cool2

kshansen
09-02-2013, 07:54 AM
One thing that has always humored me HEO, and again, not restricted to region, is that with construction hands, if it rains just a few drops they complain and they're ready to call it quits. But those same hands will spend hours, soaking wet in the cold rain, in a tree stand hoping to get a shot at a deer that never shows up.
So true! Or sitting in a boat waiting to catch a fish they end up letting go! I won't even go into how much they will spend on the boats or guns and such then complain if the wife wants a new washing machine to clean their muddy hunting/fishing clothes!

monster76
09-02-2013, 10:10 AM
My friend is a great example can spend all day jogging and working out at the beach but when he is short on cash its way to hot to work outside repairing a sidewalk or laying sod after we did all the real work

HEO Girl
09-02-2013, 04:09 PM
You get paid to sleep, maybe I should get a job there!

:D Get a labors book and come on down! :tong plenty of room in the back seat if you don't mind sharing with a 75lb slobbery dog.

I'm the opposite. I love working in the rain. That's usually when something goes wrong and the enviro crew goes into action. It's fast paced and fun for me at least. Just like I love frack outs because it's fast paced and everyone really comes together to get it done. It's great. And we usually get to play in the water! I love swimming and am usually the first to jump in and swim a trabidity cutrain (not sure on spelling of that) across a small portion of a lake.

kshansen
09-02-2013, 08:17 PM
:D Get a labors book and come on down! :tong plenty of room in the back seat if you don't mind sharing with a 75lb slobbery dog.

Not sure who'd get more jealous, my wife or my 60lb black lab/mutt! Not sure this 63 year old guy could keep up with a 22 year old swiming across a lake pulling a trabidity curtain across a lake. Actually I'm sure I couldn't. Knowing there are people your age willing to work hard makes me feel good about the future of this business. Some of the ones around here leave you wondering what happened to the people who know how to work.

Raildudes dad
09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Turbidity curtain;)

DigDug
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
HEO glad your doing what u set out to do. I remember U coming onto this board or somewhere talking about runningequipment and was from Maine as I am. That was a few years ago I think. Good luck with your career and thanks for the pictures.

HEO Girl
09-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the spelling on that!

I was never one to take "You can't do that." for an answer. I do miss home. It's cold there! Screw this heat!

Me and the dog. Didn't get to run it but wanted to see if I could get the dog to jump on the tracks. I was successful with no treats, he's kinda weird when it comes to new surfaces but he's getting over that which is great progress!

HEO Girl
11-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Well here we are the in the season where lay offs happen ALOT. I was for sure I'd be on the first set of lay offs. After that passed I figured I'd be the next to go. Well it turns out I wasn't, so I'm still here! There are 3 people left on my crew including myself. They laid off a ton of folks and everyone has been short handed and many of them are complaining how "ratty" this job is being run like. Well apparently they have never worked for this spreadman before because that's what he does, happened last job as well. But it always manages to get done. They are just upset because even though they are on, say, the environmental crew, we may be throwing skids, or dopeing pipe, and "that's not what they hired on for". I guess I've never been on a spread where it was strict union wise so I don't know any different. In my eyes I could care less as long as I get that pay check every week, plus who wants to do the same thing over and over? Why not get out and learn something new?

Was up on a hill and decided to take a picture of the clean up going on. You can always tell when this dozer hand cleans up vs when other dozer hands do. He does a great job.

The tractor got duals and the mechanics made us something special to help us on these hills. A trailer with an 8hp mulcher... I mean it was really nice of them but the mulcher can't handle much of anything, if the hay is wet forget it. It clogs ALOT if you are not careful. But we manage and eventually learned it's quirks and now it seems to work pretty alright.

They told us we had to hand mulch this hill. This picture really does it NO justice because this thing was steep! especially for this tractor, it's still extremely tippy even with the duals, and I know for a fact because I've ran this thing. Our original operator told us there was no way in hell he was going to run that thing on that hill so we got Poncho the lowboy driver from the VA job who said he'd do it. It went off without a hitch. We showed the office not to mess with the environmental/clean up crew ;)

The coolest owl ever! This guy watched us for days in one area you could even get up real close and almost touch him. I've never seen an owl this close. This picture is NOT zoomed.

Just a picture of some pipe that needs to go in the ground.

grandpa
11-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Happy holidays sunshine!!!

mitch504
11-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah, always good to hear from our pet nutball girlie. :D

HEO Girl
11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
We actually got 1 day for Turkey day. I ate with the girl on the other crew and a few people from work.

These pictures are of the golf course hill which is the other side of another steep hill here that we worked on.
Instead of padding the pipe on the bottom with dirt they had to use the foam gun to make a foam padding for the pipe as the dirt wouldn't quite stay up on the hill. That is a water line, a gas line, and an electrical line going across the ditch.

Getting a helping hand from a dozer. Can't quite get good enough grip on that loose dirt.

Last but not least the foam truck arrives to spray the foam breakers so we can backfill.

Foam breakers all in!

HEO Girl
11-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Pulling some pipe under the ground finally! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately it needed to be Jeeped, in the rain! A Jeep is a metal band that goes around the pipe that attaches to a machine that you roll across the pipe that tells you whether or not the coating has rubbed off or chipped. If it has chipped or rubbed you have to fix it by sanding and then dopeing that spot. You can't use a Jeep on water or it throws a false reading that you have a hole in the coating so the pipe needed to be dried. Also if you touch said band with your hand and the machine is on it's like being stuck with a cattle prod. Did I mention I am horrible at explaining things? lol.

This is the tents we used to keep the rain off the pipe so we could wipe it down and dry it with the torches (or berthas, or weed burners, I've heard them called all 3). I think that man in the red shirt is the biggest xxxx head, and no I'm no concerned if he reads this because I've already said it to his face :D I hated him the day he told me I wasn't gunna make it on the pipeline. Silly boy!

We had finished that one long section and had to get the other pipe beside it on the rollers. We worked a little late.

This picture wasn't of the same one's that those last 3 were. It was like 20* and the wind was awful on that hill that day and for the life of me I could not keep my feet and hands warm. They had a little tent set up with some heaters going in them but I didn't want to be the sissy that was constantly going into the tent when there was down time :rolleyes:. I can say I was very miserable that SUNDAY, yes SUNDAY we worked to get the Radnor lake drill pulled. Funny thing was we had so many things break down on us that we only pulled 2 of our 4 sections that had been welded! Ugh. Sunday was a huge bust. Although I have since bought some hand a foot warmers off Amazon.

willie59
11-30-2013, 10:37 PM
HEO, the guy in the red shirt truly is a "silly boy", you're one helluva grunt worker. :cool:

mitch504
11-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I hate ever working on Sunday, it seems like more stuff goes wrong on Sunday than the other 6 days combined.

What are foam breakers?

A note on Mr Redshirt, we knew you'd make it as a pipeliner because you wanted to, but once he said that, you'd have done it with 4 broken limbs!

I knew all that homework help would pay off.
Keep making us proud,
Mitch

HATCHEQUIP
11-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Would that be a pet name for a future boy friend:stirthepot

HEO Girl
11-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Yup that's right, I killed Bambi :D . The funny thing was I was excited when I hit it! Free meat! I was driving the company truck (this may have been why I was excited, wasn't my truck lol) back to the yard to grab some stuff when I saw a deer out of the corner of my eye, I hit the brakes but it was just to late. I hit him dead center of his belly, he stumbled but managed to get up and run. I turned around to see if he had laid up anywhere and sure enough he was about 500 feet off the road in someone's yard. Unfortunately he suffered a short time before dieing. I called my foreman to let him know what happened and jokingly said "wouldn't it be great if we could gut it now and cut it up." It was a rain day for everyone else, the enviro crew was just there to check things over. He gathered what was left of the crew and we hauled it off someone's lawn and threw it in the back of the truck and took it to our right of way. Now I'd never gutted or skinned a deer, I've seen it done, the others in the crew hadn't a clue either. We called our inspector whose a big hunter and he came out to help. We strung it up with the excavator and skinned it. We got the shoulders, the hams, and the back straps. But I wanted it gutted so I could give the rest to the dog (yeah I feed the dog a raw diet, free meat is free meat!). No one wanted to gut it because of how I had hit it, they were for sure stuff had exploded in there. So I did it and yes there was poop everywhere inside the cavity and it STUNK. But the stinkier it is the more the dog likes it anyways. I saved everything but the stomach, intestines, and skin. I even saved the head! I can't wait till the neighbors see the dog chewing on that! We bagged the stuff up and headed for home. I got the skull cap for it to, sitting in Borax at the moment to get whatever I left after I had boiled it and scraped it.

willie59
11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
LoL, I love the little Komatsu on the trailer. ;)

HEO Girl
11-30-2013, 10:51 PM
I hate ever working on Sunday, it seems like more stuff goes wrong on Sunday than the other 6 days combined.

What are foam breakers?

A note on Mr Redshirt, we knew you'd make it as a pipeliner because you wanted to, but once he said that, you'd have done it with 4 broken limbs!

I knew all that homework help would pay off.
Keep making us proud,
Mitch
Now I've never done the foam breakers before but when I asked what they were for they told me to keep the water from running down the pipe under ground :beatsme

Would that be a pet name for a future boy friend:stirthepot
And yes that would be a future nickname for a future boyfriend. Although there might be several (names that is, hopefully not several ex's, I hate to waste my time) :D

LoL, I love the little Komatsu on the trailer. ;)
It's a CAT! and actually the new mini ho for the enviro crew. They got a cab one this time. It's nice. Only a couple hundred hours on it.

HATCHEQUIP
11-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Sound like my daughter :)

willie59
11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
I do apologize, my bad, from my end with the color of the pic it looked like Komatsu ebony gray. But it's all good. :)

stock
12-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Was told this years ago HEO girl..
(with reference to the redshirt guy)"don't ever carry a bollox with you when going anywhwere as you surely meet one when you get there"............and never was a truer word spoken.............

Keep up the good work..........still trying to get some venison here but don't seem to be any deer about at the moment........

HATCHEQUIP
12-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Is that foam like the expandable kind that is used for insulation purposes in houses

stock
12-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Is that foam like the expandable kind that is used for insulation purposes in houses

I have seen that foam used here but it far more dense than the insulation type...

Buckethead
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM

This pic of the Cat mini-ex picking the deer, there has to be a Cat vs. Deere joke here somewhere! LOL

HEO Girl
12-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I have seen that foam used here but it far more dense than the insulation type...
You are correct Stock. When I asked that's basically what I got for an answer. Much more dense.

This pic of the Cat mini-ex picking the deer, there has to be a Cat vs. Deere joke here somewhere! LOL
:D I was waiting for one to pop up!

stock
12-09-2013, 05:35 AM
How about

Deere dies in claws of a Cat........
Cat hanging out a Deere,
nothing runs like a Deere when carried by a Cat,
Cat got Deere dead on it feet,

mitch504
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
When a Deere stops running, a Cat carries it?

HEO Girl
12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
I think Stock has you beat Mitch ;)

mitch504
12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I think Stock has you beat Mitch ;)

Aahh, you're just prejudiced because I don't like Spaghetti-Os

stock
12-10-2013, 04:25 AM
We don't have spaghetti "o" here..............

HATCHEQUIP
12-10-2013, 08:40 AM
stock its not on the same isle as exquisitely fine cuisine its on the isle with the other taste like crap but filling items:D

Oxbow
12-10-2013, 08:44 AM
stock its not on the same isle as exquisitely fine cuisine its on the isle with the other taste like crap but filling items:D
Which actually taste pretty good when the alternative is Tofu.

mitch504
12-10-2013, 11:25 AM
We don't have spaghetti "o" here..............

Count yourself lucky, then, Stock.
(Don't tell HEO, but I would eat a bucket of it, before I ate a plate of tofu.)

Scrub Puller
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Yair . . . I'm a bit late to the party but what the heck is spaghetti "o"?

Cheers.

HATCHEQUIP
12-10-2013, 02:38 PM
spaghetti circles in sauce in can punch hole in top set on vice heat with torch or set on manifold must be extremly hungry. Better than toe jam I mean tofu

stock
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
WTF is tofu? does it contain bacon, or potatoes or cabbage........................

HATCHEQUIP
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Bacon somebody say bacon!!!!!!!!

FSERVICE
12-10-2013, 09:18 PM
spaghetti circles in sauce in can punch hole in top set on vice heat with torch or set on manifold must be extremly hungry. Better than toe jam I mean tofu

like someone told me the other day " its better than lickin a rock" lmao :)

willie59
12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
LMAO, you guys are cracking me up. But don't bust HEO's chops too bad for liking Spaghetti O's, like she needs my help, she's already proven she's tough as shoe leather, but all of us has our tastes. Me, I'm fond of a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk, a combination that would make most folks pass out, but that's just me. :D

HATCHEQUIP
12-10-2013, 10:36 PM
And a big bowl of navy beans with a spoonful of mayonnaise mixed in to go with it

HATCHEQUIP
12-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Willie you know if HEO keeps working down south like this she might not want to go back to the frozen country especially if she meets the right old southern boy

mitch504
12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Stock, Tofu is soybean curds (think turds). It is or was all the rage with the vegetarian/health food nuts. They claim it has no taste and can be cooked to taste like anything, (but it can't, it always tastes like soybean curds).

And, oh yeah, Willie, SHE STARTED IT!

We once had a long argument one winter sunday afternoon about the relative merits of Chef-boy-ar-dee vs Spaghetti-Os on chat. She was very uncomplimentary about my taste in canned spaghetti.

willie59
12-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Willie you know if HEO keeps working down south like this she might not want to go back to the frozen country especially if she meets the right old southern boy

Well, Maine ain't exactly "frozen country" as you and I would agree that gramps lives in frozen country. Maine can have the fair winds of the jet stream that bring fair temps that you and I enjoy, and yet can be buffered by a Nor' Easter, just a different world. But HEO is tough enough to find a way to survive no matter where she plants herself. :cool:

Stock, Tofu is soybean curds (think turds). It is or was all the rage with the vegetarian/health food nuts. They claim it has no taste and can be cooked to taste like anything, (but it can't, it always tastes like soybean curds).

We once had a long argument one winter sunday afternoon about the relative merits of Chef-boy-ar-dee vs Spaghetti-Os on chat. She was very uncomplimentary about my taste in canned spaghetti.

I think you are forgetting that women are always right mitch. :rolleyes:

mitch504
12-11-2013, 01:34 AM

Uh uh, Willie, that only applies if you are married to 'em, related to 'em, work with them, and a few other I have forgotten about. If you're just friends, I don't THINK it applies.

Trashman
12-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Yair . . . I'm a bit late to the party but what the heck is spaghetti "o"?

Cheers.

Here ya go Scrub.....

tonka
12-11-2013, 09:38 AM
She's probably eating Spaghetti O's because she's sick of ramen!!!

stock
12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Well, Maine ain't exactly "frozen country"

Scrub Puller
12-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Yair . . . Trashman. Thanks mate. As I always say HEF is a great site to round out ones education. (he grins)

Cheers.

CM1995
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
WTF is tofu? does it contain bacon, or potatoes or cabbage........................

It's not bad fried with some kinda spicy sauce..

Me, I'm fond of a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk, a combination that would make most folks pass out, but that's just me. :D

And a big bowl of navy beans with a spoonful of mayonnaise mixed in to go with it

Ya'll just killed my appetite. :throwup

Now give me some smoked ribs, turnip greens with pepper sauce and some homemade mac and cheese and you'll have to fight me to take it.:D

HEO Girl
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Aahh, you're just prejudiced because I don't like Spaghetti-Os
Well, there's that too. :tong
and I knew you liked skettios!

I can't eat them warm, they taste like metal then. I have to eat skettios cold and from the can (cuz who wants to dirty a dish!). But if I were to eat ravioli it would have to be warm. I've never had tofu, dunno if I ever want to either.

LMAO, you guys are cracking me up. But don't bust HEO's chops too bad for liking Spaghetti O's, like she needs my help, she's already proven she's tough as shoe leather, but all of us has our tastes. Me, I'm fond of a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk, a combination that would make most folks pass out, but that's just me. :D
And I'm just getting tougher by the day! It seems as though I have an assistant spreadman on the job out to get me! Thought I didn't come to work today because he hadn't seen me. Funny thing was I had gotten with the 1ton early to load some crap way in the back. My foreman alerted me to his accusations when I got to the front around 6:30 this morning. Said they were in their meeting and this assistant asked him who took the most days off on his crew, my foreman questioned him so the assistant repeated himself. Well the other assistant spreadman (who I love) spoke up and said "That damn teamster!". Well that shut the other assistant up because he changed the subject. Well after my foreman told me all this as we were driving by to head to work I rolled down the window put on my biggest, cheesiest smile and waved frantically and said the loudest "HELLO!" ever. I got a hello from a few folks in their circle but that assistant just looked at the ground... Did I also mention there's someone here who thinks women come from a mans rib and therefor are below all men and of course "shouldn't be on the job". Shocker there right? :rolleyes:

The saying in that song "The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog." is so VERY VERY true.

:D Anything from the Chef is nasty unless it's ravioli... Skettios rule.

She's probably eating Spaghetti O's because she's sick of ramen!!!
Oh no, never sick of ramen. Actually sometimes I crave to eat it. Yum!

Women are always right :D

tonka
12-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Oh no, never sick of ramen. Actually sometimes I crave to eat it. Yum!

Women are always right :DLOL uh huh... just ask my wife!

stock
12-12-2013, 11:44 AM
No need Tonks I have one of my own and she says "she is not always right but she is never wrong"

HEO Girl
12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
You know what I kinda miss? Working for a company that kind of seemed like they cared about you. Working union is so weird. No one really cares, or so it seems. Especially the company your working for at the time. Why should they have too? I mean, all they have to do is call up the hall and they'll send out another of whatever they need at the time.

We didn't have T for this attachment but we did have some imagination!

My fortune cookie... pretty sad when a fortune cookie tells you this.

Counted 14 deer headed for the woods!

We are crossing one of Jack Daniels properties (went along side his polo field) supposedly these are his horses. I wanted to pat one badly but they weren't having any of that.

Sometimes you see the strangest things on your way home.

stock
12-14-2013, 02:44 PM
When are you breaking for Christmas K? Heading up to Maine for the holidays?

Scrub Puller
12-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Yair . . . A profound statement this one HEO

You know what I kinda miss? Working for a company that kind of seemed like they cared about you. Working union is so weird. No one really cares, or so it seems. Especially the company your working for at the time. Why should they have too? I mean, all they have to do is call up the hall and they'll send out another of whatever they need at the time.

I understand what you are saying although your system in the US is quite different to ours. I have only once had to work under union rules once and don't believe I could work in a system where folks are seen as numbers . . . I do believe however there are enough bad/manipulative employers out there that unions have a place.

I have been following your thread with interest and admiration.

You have a good Christmas and all the best for 2014.

Cheers.

HEO Girl
12-14-2013, 05:46 PM
When are you breaking for Christmas K? Heading up to Maine for the holidays?
We get the 22nd through the 30th off, then we work, then we get the first off. I don't understand, why not just give us the whole time... but I'm working for a workaholic spreadman and we've had quite a few rain days. I'm waiting for that 7 days a week until the jobs over to start like the last one. Today was a rain day as well. Good thing as I was feeling pretty burnt out this week for some reason.

I will not be headed home for Christmas. It's just to long of a drive and I have to pick up the dog from training on the 22nd then head back on the 23rd to do more training with his trainer. Can't fly as I'll have the ferrets and the dog. Doing training with the dog those 2 days just doesn't leave enough time to make it worth it for me to drive 2 days there and 2 days back. I'm 24 hours away total but really I think 12-14 hours is my limit for how long I can drive a day. Haven't told my mom yet, she'll be upset.

Yair . . . A profound statement this one HEO

I understand what you are saying although your system in the US is quite different to ours. I have only once had to work under union rules once and don't believe I could work in a system where folks are seen as numbers . . . I do believe however there are enough bad/manipulative employers out there that unions have a place.

I have been following your thread with interest and admiration.

You have a good Christmas and all the best for 2014.

Cheers.
Thanks Scrub. Hope you have a good Christmas too :)
It kind of bums you out when you think about it to much. I just keep telling myself the paycheck is nice.

stock
12-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Well we will be on line so as to help keep your spirits up. You can start a new thread just for the day............

mitch504
12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, we'll call it "the help keeping HEOgirl from going crazier thread.

Tiny
12-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Hey we gotta keep an eye on her !.......... After all we raised her from a kitten LOL I'll be around here also

kshansen
12-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Well I don't work union but have worked for this company since the day after graduation from high school back in 1968 with a little time off during the school year for a couple years of college. The company has gone from a regional company that was more or less family owned where top management knew most of at least the long term employees by name. Now by way of mergers and buyout it is on of the largest aggregate and concrete producers in the world. Now it's rare for management two levels above our supervisor to have any idea who the employees are even those with more than twenty years service to the company. I have the feeling that this is planned so if they "need" to downsize a location they can just think of the numbers on the paper and not have to think that there are people attached to those numbers.

HEO Girl and all others hope you all have a great Christmas:waving

HEO Girl
12-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Well we will be on line so as to help keep your spirits up. You can start a new thread just for the day............
♥ I just might do that :)

Yeah, we'll call it "the help keeping HEOgirl from going crazier thread.
I think I've already gone crazier! You might be a little late on that one! :tong

Hey we gotta keep an eye on her !.......... After all we raised her from a kitten LOL I'll be around here also
Meow :tong

Well I don't work union but have worked for this company since the day after graduation from high school back in 1968 with a little time off during the school year for a couple years of college. The company has gone from a regional company that was more or less family owned where top management knew most of at least the long term employees by name. Now by way of mergers and buyout it is on of the largest aggregate and concrete producers in the world. Now it's rare for management two levels above our supervisor to have any idea who the employees are even those with more than twenty years service to the company. I have the feeling that this is planned so if they "need" to downsize a location they can just think of the numbers on the paper and not have to think that there are people attached to those numbers.

HEO Girl and all others hope you all have a great Christmas:waving
No one in upper management in this company knows who you are. They are in another state. I know a couple people on this job who are on pay roll all year long but they aren't management persay. I'm a company hand which means even though I got my book out of VA the company hires me on where ever they go (at least that's what I hope continues) which is how I ended up in TN with them.
Hope you have a good Christmas too!

oldtanker
12-18-2013, 07:20 PM
HEO, really want to be a number? Join the military!

Hope you have a great Christmas even if you can't go home. Ya get real down I'll be on and off on Christmas.

Rick

HEO Girl
01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Hello lay off! Hello Mississippi?

Lay off is here. Yaaaaaaaay. It was starting to get a little cold anyways :D.

Got a call from a man who was running a ho on the job but had got done way early. His wife was his oiler, they were really great people. Worked beside their crew for a little bit so got to know them. Anyways he told me if he got a steward job he'd give me an oilers book, he's been a BA and an off and on steward before. I always thanked him for that comment but honestly didn't think anything would actually come of it you know. Well as I stated above he called me, said he's going to steward down in Mississippi, said he'd have work for at least 4 months for me if I wanted to come down and oil, starts in the spring. Same company, different spreadman. Supposedly he's not a nice spreadman either. Oh well I'm used to butt heads, where's the fun if everyone got along anyways? He said I'd have to let him know for sure by the end of Feb if I was coming and I'd be in the group of first hire ons.
Helllllloooooooo oilers book :D It really is all in who you know!

I'm afraid to branch out a little because I know the spreadman I'm with now would hire me on again but I guess I've heard talk that he doesn't have work after this. However there are lots of rumors and stories in this line of work and you truly don't know for sure until whatever happens happens, or doesn't happen... Decisions, decisions.

stock
01-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Hello lay off! Hello Mississippi?

I'm afraid to branch out a little because I know the spreadman I'm with now would hire me on again but I guess I've heard talk that he doesn't have work after this. However there are lots of rumors and stories in this line of work and you truly don't know for sure until whatever happens happens, or doesn't happen... Decisions, decisions.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

HEO Girl
01-26-2014, 07:07 PM
"It's better to have a lesser but certain advantage than the possibility of a greater one that may come to nothing."
Had to look that saying up lol.

This is certainly true. Union is weird, I could 'drag up' and still work for my old spreadman if I were to get on the job in Mississippi and were to get a call to go to work. It's hard decisions to make. Pros and cons to both sides really.

oldtanker
01-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Well good luck with which direction you decide to go.

Rick

kshansen
01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes what ever you decide I'm sure it will work out. Anytime you can learn a new part of a business it makes you more valuable the next time you are looking for work.

HEO Girl
01-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys :)
For now me and the dog are enjoying sleeping in!
Morning! Feed me now K!?

The bed is the only piece of furniture he's allowed on. My snuggle buddy.

kshansen
01-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys :)
For now me and the dog are enjoying sleeping in!
Morning! Feed me now K!?

Oh My god! that looks like one vicious animal:eek:

I'll bet no chew toy is safe when he's around!

HEO Girl
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
:D He actually doesn't chew stuff up! Never has, even as a puppy! And most of the time he plays with appropriate things like his toys but has never tried to rip them up. Unless it's dirty socks, he can't resist chewing dirty socks. He's still got all but 1 of his toys since he was 8 weeks old and he's a year and a couple months now!

He just got a bath today too. He smells purdy and is all clean... for a few hours at least :rolleyes:

oldtanker
01-28-2014, 11:40 PM
We have the weirdest dogs I've ever seen. We live on a farm so they have room to run. But we have to make them go out. One is afraid of the dark. They are well behaved mind you but strange. We introduced a kitten about 4 months ago. Here in MN in the winter all the rodents are looking for warm digs. So I trapped a wild kitten. It made friends with one of the dogs right away. They play like a couple of puppies. If the cat catches a mouse they play with it before the eat it and yes they share. The other dog acts like he doesn't like the cat but sleeps with it unless he thinks you are watching, then he growls at it.

Nothing wrong with sleeping in when you have nothing to do and no place to be. Wish I could do it. But over 20 years of first formation a 6AM has me trained. I retired from the army in 96 and still wake up early unless I stay up way late.

Anyway HEO, looking forward to reports from you next job.

Rick

HEO Girl
01-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Moose is edgy about going out in the dark too but is getting better. I started walking him in the dark just like I had walked him in the rain to get him used to that. He used to pee in the house when it rained because I couldn't get him to go outside, I'd literally stand there for 20 minutes and he wouldn't do a thing but stand there tail tucked and miserable. Well that wasn't working for me so he ate in the rain, we took walks in the rain, we trained in the rain, every time it rained we were out in it, when I sent him off to his training school they also did the same thing. Now he's fine with it and it's quite funny to watch him gallop around and get all excited now.

The only cat he's ever met set the ground rules quick, Moose has a little prey drive but it's not bad and I am very active about letting him know it's not a desirable behavior. Some folks may want a dog to have prey drive, I do not want any as I have ferrets and don't want them a target. Anyways, he approached the cat and attempted to put the cat in his mouth, the cat beat the crap out of him. He stayed far away from the cat after that and respected it's space, which is really what I wanted to happen.

When I'm laid off I turn into a night owl, my schedule gets all messed up, and I become a hermit :D

oldtanker
01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Being a hermit isn't good for you. You should be hanging out with friends. I'm up late often till I get tired enough to sleep.

Animals are funny critters. You should see my cows. Every time I start the tractor they get excited. I could have put a fresh bale in yesterday but they think I'm putting another one in when all I'm going to do is blow snow.

The dogs and cats are funny. One belongs to a college age son who is also in the National Guard. His dog sulks when he's not home. The other is just a happy go lucky Odie kinda dog. The cat has decided that I'm it's pet human. My job is to feed it and let it lay on my lap while I'm at the computer or watching TV. He goes nuts and tears around the house when I'm not home. Soon as I walk in the door he settles down. Both of the dogs, who can roam the farm if they want, prefer to be in the house even in the summer.

Rick

HEO Girl
01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
I actually don't mind being a hermit and prefer it over going out most of the time. I play computer games and have quite a few over the internet friends. Kinda like you guys here at HEF. That's not to say I don't have real life friends too.

My dad used to tell me the same thing and get upset that I didn't go out with my friends too. He wondered why I wasn't off getting into trouble or staying out late drinking with my buddies, ect. But that's just not me, sure it's fun once in awhile. One of my hobbies is my computer, aside from my animals, and yes I consider some people I've met over the net my friends. I mean when you stick playing with someone or a group of people in a game for a few years (or talk to them on a forum) and talk to them over the net almost everyday, I'd consider that friend like. Tried to get my dad to understand but he doesn't get it, probably never will. I tried the whole "You know how you're out in the garage from the time you get home from work to the time you get to bed? It's your hobby right? You build things, work on things, fix things, ect? Ok well the computer is kinda like that for me, it's my hobby." To which I get the reply of "It's not the same friggin thing, your wasting you life away!" Although he's always telling me to do what makes me happy.... that makes me happy. I don't think I'll ever get his stubborn butt to understand, and now that I don't live with him I don't have too :D because I can live my life how I want it now and he can live his! Woohoo!

oldtanker
01-30-2014, 06:28 PM
LOL HEO, Just as long as you are not as bad as a friend of mine. He literally has only been out of his house once sense Christmas. With him it's because he's a tight wad. If he started his truck up and drove 1/2 mile to my place it would use gas. He sit's in front of the boob tube and watch's stuff that's trying to prove the existence of big foot and aliens. I worry about that him. So when you said hermit......

Gotta be careful about some of those internet friends. Jerk setting behind that screen can be what ever they want you to think. I think most are honest but there are a few fruit loops out there.

Rick

kshansen
01-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Gotta be careful about some of those internet friends. Jerk setting behind that screen can be what ever they want you to think. I think most are honest but there are a few fruit loops out there.

Rick

Rick, You talking about me? I'm really not some grey haired old guy, just your everyday younger and better looking version of Brad Pitt.:rolleyes:

oldtanker
01-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Rick, You talking about me? I'm really not some grey haired old guy, just your everyday younger and better looking version of Brad Pitt.:rolleyes:

Nope, yer the type that gives that type a bad name;):exactly:falldownlaugh

Rick

kshansen
01-31-2014, 05:25 AM
Nope, yer the type that gives that type a bad name;):exactly:falldownlaugh

Rick

I resemble that remark!:D

HEO Girl
02-01-2014, 12:45 AM

:D Sounds legit to me!

I seem to find the decent people on the internet. Some I've known for 9 years now. I started playing online games when I was 11 years old (Diablo 2). Had my first email at 8, Kiarakat8@aol. I was really into Lion King 2 back then :tong . I was way better at the computer than my mom, she had no idea what I was getting into on that thing. Internet safety was drilled into my head at school though, I had a fake age, fake name, random town and state I lived in, ect. that I would tell people if they asked. Funny thing was computer class was about the only one I liked and listened too!

I do get outta the house, after all the dog needs to go for walks and we train outside when it's not frigid. He's super short haired so gets cold easily even with a jacket... ok so maybe I don't like the cold either :rolleyes:... I do get some people that get interested in what I'm doing with my dog sometimes, they just can't believe I can get my dog to walk beside me with no leash and follow my every move. Anyone can if they work at it hard enough! I tell you though the best thing I ever did was send him to training school. Not only did it teach him but it taught me! Worth every penny spent. Unless your the women a few places down that thinks my dog is going to eat her children "No ma'am he won't eat your children but I might!"... friggin people.

oldtanker
02-01-2014, 01:25 AM
LOL I still play Diablo II. Love that game.

I have a little thing I run on people about children. It's a joke but I've had more than (mostly women) one say, "you have issues, you must hate kids!!!" and I normally tell them "nope love em, slow roasted, little BBQ sauce" which makes them scream "you are sick"!:drinkup:falldownlaugh

They just have no sense of humor.

But you still need a little face to face time with humans. Even if it's just going out for a cup of coffee once or twice a week. That for your mental health. Couse yer hanging out in here with us, which means yer mental health is in serious question already:eek::crazy:falldownlaugh

Rick

HEO Girl
02-01-2014, 12:37 PM
I play D3 now. Can't get D2 to work on my new machine, or I'd still be playing it.

I don't like coffee! I Think doing a bit of grocery shopping is enough people time for me :tong

You know I DID read an article that said in a study they found that animals do provide the social needs us humans require ;)

oldtanker
02-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I play D3 now. Can't get D2 to work on my new machine, or I'd still be playing it.

I don't like coffee! I Think doing a bit of grocery shopping is enough people time for me :tong

You know I DID read an article that said in a study they found that animals do provide the social needs us humans require ;)

I have a new system I7 6 core that run 2D just fine.

I think my nephew read that article too, except he took it way too far:eek::mad:

Rick

HEO Girl
02-01-2014, 03:25 PM
I have a new system I7 6 core that run 2D just fine.

I think my nephew read that article too, except he took it way too far:eek::mad:

Rick

It's a graphics card issue with mine as I use a dedicated graphics for my laptop and desktop. I'm sure if I tried hard enough and did some googling I could get it to work.

I get enough real people time over the months that I'm working! By the time lay off comes around I'm sick of people! Think I'll use that as my excuse :D

stock
02-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Can we get back to pipeline work / experiences and leave the computer games mutts and moggies to another thread.

K I would consider you a cyber friend as I would most folks here. Now Tiny and Qball .......well they are in a league of their own......

oldtanker
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Can we get back to pipeline work / experiences and leave the computer games mutts and moggies to another thread.

K I would consider you a cyber friend as I would most folks here. Now Tiny and Qball .......well they are in a league of their own......

I think the pipeline is done for the time being.

Rick

stock
02-01-2014, 07:33 PM
I think the pipeline is done for the time being.

Rick

So let's remissness........ talk of lengths laid and the muck shifted with tongue and shovel......................

oldtanker
02-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Sorry stock, I'm just talking to HEO. She isn't working right now so just passing time. I don't think she really wants to know about feeding a few bales with an old farm tractor to some cows with the loader or blowing snow with it. That would be boring too. "I fed a bale today, got X number left, hope spring gets here". Now that would make ya set up and...well maybe put ya to sleep. Or blew my drive out again for the 4th time this week. Can't do much more. TLB is parked for the winter, grounds kinda hard right now. Ice on the lakes is averaging 30 plus inches. So I'm betting the frost line is between 3 and 4 feet. I'm wishing she'd go back to work. Her post over this last season were great and interesting. Ya gotta remember I'm just an old retired army fart with a love of heavy equipment who's farming and doing a little dirt work with an old TLB, it's winter, it's MN, we have snow, it's cold and all I have to do is feed and water critters and blow snow.

Not ranting or angry, jest splaining.

Rick

stock
02-02-2014, 03:08 AM
Now there you go saying that the daily grind is boring, well we only get snow /frost of any consequence every 40 years or so and the most recent event one was in 2010.
At the moment we are having a lot of storms and a huge amount of rain land here is carrying close to twice the average normal rainfall, winter lakes everywhere and river breaking their banks etc etc. At present the temps are in the low single figures between 2-6 oC.

So areyou feeding hay or silage to the beasties?

oldtanker
02-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Stock hay. round bales.

That's the feeding/blowing tractor.

Bales are about 1500 pounds.

Rick

stock
02-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Who made the tractor?

oldtanker
02-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Stock, It an IH Farmall 1206 Diesel, 1966 model with an aftermarket steel and glass cab.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/004/6/7/4678-farmall-1206.html

Little info on the tractor in the link.

Rick

HEO Girl
02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Ok Stock. 17 dig ups! The pig found 17 of them suckers and in some pretty inconvenient places. They were deciding on whether or not to shut down for the winter or finish it. Well the weather is not cooperating so they are shutting down in 2 or 3 weeks. They ended up having to move a station due to some apartment complexes being built and the station is to close so it will be built down the hill. So at the moment they are doing their dig ups and rough clean ups and will be back in the spring.

Buckethead
02-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Well as I stated above he called me, said he's going to steward down in Mississippi, said he'd have work for at least 4 months for me if I wanted to come down and oil, starts in the spring. Same company, different spreadman. Supposedly he's not a nice spreadman either. Oh well I'm used to butt heads, where's the fun if everyone got along anyways? He said I'd have to let him know for sure by the end of Feb if I was coming and I'd be in the group of first hire ons.
Helllllloooooooo oilers book .

I think that is an excellent way to learn about equipment. Most of the old operators I knew started out that way, especially crane operators. You will learn more by lubricating the machines, and just being around them in general in one day on an actual job than in a month of school. It's a dying job, and that's a shame because without that opportunity it's so much harder for young people to break in. Keep paying the laborers dues until you get an actual book, I mean one with the plastic card, not just a piece of paper. Even then maybe keep the laborer's book, I don't think there's any rule against it. I have met guys who have both,(pipeliners like you) and AFAIK, no one said anything about it.

HEO Girl
02-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Oh I'd keep the laborers book. I get a card when I renew my laborers book. I've seen some who have plastic ones and others who have kind of like cardboard that they stick in the plastic insert (what I got). I don't believe there is any rule against having multiple books. I want to keep myself open to all opportunities, never know when you'll need to fall back to a laborer when there's no oilers work you can get.