PDA

View Full Version : Weird Grader Applications

farm_boy
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Anyone have knowledge (or better yet pictures) of strange applications for a grader. I found this one the other day in California. I can't say that I have seen a grader used for clearing tumble weeds!!:beatsme

Wolf
02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Why not? In California, anything goes.

(Some would say that's innovation.)

334 lawn co
02-20-2007, 06:48 PM
ive seen one completely outfitted with boom mowers on the sides and a flail underneath. pretty cool lookin. no pics though.:beatsme

Wulf
02-20-2007, 08:35 PM
farm_boy are you sure that Deere doesn't have some secret revolutionary circle and moldboard under development and that isn't just camouflage?

farm_boy
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Come on Wulf....I'm not that connected.:cool2 As you may tell, I am a tiny bit bias towards the leaping deer, but this just happened to be a 672 working along side of the road. I just thought others might have some far out there applications they have seen graders in. Lawn co had a great one that I would have never thought about.

Grader4me
02-21-2007, 06:00 AM
I'm not crazy about his methods, as he has a lot of material coming up over his circle etc. I would assume that he is dragging it so far, then dumping into a pile.
I think the best way to do that(for loose material, grass etc.)is extend the moldboard to the far left or right(depends which way you are cutting) and make your passes, keeping the material on one side of the grader. This way you have better control of carrying and discharging your material. Also if carrying it and dumping into a pile, you can dump and not have to drive your front end up into the material that you previously dumped.

keep in mind that common sense also comes into play, as you would not want to load your moldboard so heavily on one side that it is causing strain on the moldboard/circle etc.

Type of material will dictate on how much you can carry.

Countryboy
02-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Here's one. Its an asphalt grinder and gravel road resurfacer.

link (http://www.maddockcorp.com/products.html)

Countryboy
02-22-2007, 12:05 AM
And here is something for all the operators that want pilot controls but don't have them.

link (http://www.maddockcorp.com/GraderStick.html)

The GraderStick™ is a single lever multi-function “joystick” that can be added to most existing motor graders and operates all of the blade functions plus front wheel tilt, articulation and scarifier (or ripper). It provides the operator with proportional fine control ability to the lift/lower and side-shift functions of the blade and adds single hand straight up and straight down blade control. The operator is also easily able to perform multiple blade movements simultaneously.

GraderStick™ can be moved between graders and leaves the original motor grader controls in place and fully functional

Grader4me
02-22-2007, 05:22 AM
I never knew that there were attachments like that for a grader. Good find! Thanks

farm_boy
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Very cool:notworthy Thanks CB!

Grader4me
02-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Here is a different one. I couldn't down load the picture due to the pdf format (maybe someone can?) but here is the link

http://www.rocklandmfg.com/Images/PDFs/grader_sloper.pdf

digger242j
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
(maybe someone can?)

Here ya go...

Grader4me
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks Digger! :)

Countryboy
02-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Here's one I found. Its a pretty intricate setup with alot of blades. I'd hate to be the one changing the cutting edges. This is a 1978 Champion 760.

link (http://usediron.point2.com/Xhtml/Equipment/Details/P2/Grader/CHAMPION/760/424683/Photos.html)

Countryboy
02-24-2007, 02:11 AM
And this is how you pack a Cat 14G into a shipping container. :cool2

link (http://home1.gte.net/res0pk3m/grader.htm)

Taylortractornu
02-24-2007, 06:09 AM
The county here has a few old 12's here they use with the old style boom mowers. cylinders with sheaves on the ends to run the boom no blade just a mover for the boom arm. I have a Cat book from Canade thats got old Cat pics in action with a 12 with the hand slappers controls with a Martin Grader/Scraper attachment Its just a 3 maybe 4 yard Bowl that goes on a short draw bar. Looked good for moving material. and also some hub work. My new uncle has a pit and he uses a grader to mix his gravel and push a slot to the dozer at the same time so not to wear out his dozer. He moves alot of material this way. The most incredible thing though was in Birmingham a year ago I saw a 143 with a push block push loading 621's a a few 627's. The foreman said the block was from Cat and is saed alot of wear on the dozers in under carriage and time.

Squizzy246B
02-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I got a bit concerned when I saw "Weird" and "grader" in the title but I see its about the machines not the operators:rolleyes: :wierd :crazy :D

Grader4me
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I got a bit concerned when I saw "Weird" and "grader" in the title but I see its about the machines not the operators:rolleyes: :wierd :crazy :D

Originally Posted by Squizzy246B
I visualise a fat balding, hairy legged, Grader driver in a frock with an apron vacuuming with an electrolux!.

You just can't get it out of your head can you?:Banghead

Squizzy246B
02-24-2007, 09:43 AM
You just can't get it out of your head can you?:Banghead

I'm haunted...can't sleep for it:eek:

:lmao :lmao

Grader4me
02-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm haunted...can't sleep for it:eek:

:lmao :lmao

Therapy may be your only way out of this:IMO :lmao

DIYDAVE
02-25-2007, 12:25 PM
:Banghead Anybody ever see the picture of an Allis-Chalmers DD grader that had a front end loader mounted on the rear end of the machine? Imagine trying to load a truck with a machine that takes 40 acres to turn around!:Pointhead

wrenchbender
02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
:Banghead Anybody ever see the picture of an Allis-Chalmers DD grader that had a front end loader mounted on the rear end of the machine? Imagine trying to load a truck with a machine that takes 40 acres to turn around!:Pointhead

:eek: I guess you would call that a rear end loader:confused: the best way to load a truck with that would be to move the truck into position instead of trying to get the grader into position:Banghead

Grader4me
02-25-2007, 03:27 PM
This is a weird looking Grader

http://obr.gcnpublishing.com/articles/NewProds/apr05road.htm

DIYDAVE
02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
:duh :duh :duh What is that- A gradeall with a grader?:ban :badidea

Grader4me
02-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I let the secret out....This is the lastest in technology...It's replacing the Cat M series :drinkup

CM1995
02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
The county here has a few old 12's here they use with the old style boom mowers. cylinders with sheaves on the ends to run the boom no blade just a mover for the boom arm. I have a Cat book from Canade thats got old Cat pics in action with a 12 with the hand slappers controls with a Martin Grader/Scraper attachment Its just a 3 maybe 4 yard Bowl that goes on a short draw bar. Looked good for moving material. and also some hub work. My new uncle has a pit and he uses a grader to mix his gravel and push a slot to the dozer at the same time so not to wear out his dozer. He moves alot of material this way. The most incredible thing though was in Birmingham a year ago I saw a 143 with a push block push loading 621's a a few 627's. The foreman said the block was from Cat and is saed alot of wear on the dozers in under carriage and time.

What company was using the 14 to push scrapers?

plowking740
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
ive seen that before. A guy back home had 4 621's and used to use one of his 740 champs with a dozer blade to help load. He said it saved him a little on moving costs, plus it saved him a machine ( his D8) for another job)

Grader4me
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Have any of you guy's ever tryed these blades?

Picture from LSW Wear Parts LTD, Fredericton N.B.

DR RPM
02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Those look like Sandvic's, really cut the ice on the gravel roads.:bash

plowking740
02-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I have used them many times over the years, I tried them once on ice after a watermain break, but you had to be really careful that you didnt scare the ashpalt when you broke through.

We used them a lot in the Municipality. The roads were really rocky in the east side and they help a lot. they would brake up any large stones that would eventually pop up over the years.

They were good for hard pack areas as well. I used to maintain the roads at a chemical plant. they would use a tree sap/molases of some kind for dust control, but this made the roads like very hard. I could burn 2 inches out of a set of blades a couple of hours. thoes blades made the job do-able at a fairly decent cost. ( as well as the headache of changing blades all the times.)

as long as thoes little teeth kept free and were able to rotate/ viberate, you were good.

Grader4me
02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
A set of blades for a 14 foot moldboard will cost around $3500.00. I have used them and most of our graders has a set. They are a sandvic style blade.
As plowking said they work really well on hard baked roads and will actually chew up soft rocks/ledge. Good for ice on gravel roads but very hard on chipseal surfaces. I have seen them actually groove asphalt surfaces as well.
Again as plowking said you have to make sure that the bits keep rotating as sometimes they will seize up and break off. Doesn't hurt to lubricate them once in a while to keep them free.

If you have never tried these blades before I would recommend giving them a go if possible.

I am not sure of the price with other companies though. This is the price quoted to us of the blades in the picture.

plowking740
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
what did you use for luberication. I tried the stuff that the dealer recomends, bue it could get a little costly after a while. Had the best luck using ...Joy 2 dish detergent and a little bit of water. Cheap and works great. ( use very little water. I think I went someting like 10 to one. )

Grader4me
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
what did you use for luberication. I tried the stuff that the dealer recomends, bue it could get a little costly after a while. Had the best luck using ...Joy 2 dish detergent and a little bit of water. Cheap and works great. ( use very little water. I think I went someting like 10 to one. )

Thats a good idea! Yeah, we used to use the dealer stuff but it was a big cost for nothing. We just use varsol, a little diesel oil etc. Dish detergent...gotta love that!

Grader4me
02-27-2007, 04:48 AM
This is another item that we have in most of our graders.

These are a must for us when shaping a road

http://www.abgpl.com.au/prod40.htm

Dozerboy
02-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I like that slope meter, I always wondered why no one as anything like that.

tylermckee
02-28-2007, 02:53 AM
I like that slope meter, I always wondered why no one as anything like that.
Same thing here, I have often thought about buying one made for an RV and putting a couple marks on it for different slopes.

Grader4me
02-28-2007, 05:50 AM
It sure takes the guess work out of it when you are crowning a road etc. Years ago I used to tape a ordinary level on the lip below the front windshield. Fine line between a 1/8 of a bubble and 1/4 though.
This meter tells you exactly what the percent your crown/elevation is. Takes a little practice to get used to it, but once you do, it becomes a very handy tool.

On edit.. Very rarely did we have grade stakes when doing a gravel job etc. So it was left up to having a good eye, but sometimes a good eye needs a little help...hence the slope meter

Deas Plant
03-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi, Folks.
I musta bin having a siesta through parts of this thread - missed the bit about push-loading scrapers with a 143 grader.

Many years ago, I had to push-load 2 old Cat 619's with a 21F Cat 12 for about 2 hours while both dozers on the job were out of business. I was pleasantly surprised at how she did it. She was no match for the D7 that normally did it but then nobody expected her to be.

Then in 1996-7, I was operating an O&K G350 grader on a job where they had 3 Cat 660 scrapers working (At least most of the time.). This G350 weighed 42 tons, had a 380 hp Cummins 855 diesel and carried a 20 foot blade and a 4-tyne ripper with 4 shanks almost as big as a Cat D7. Part of my work was ripping the floor of the borrow pit for these scrapers. On odd occasions, if a scraper was standing waiting for the Kummagutsa D455 push-dozer, I would get in behind it and push it. I couldn't match the D455 but I could sure do it better than the 270 hp Cat D8H that was the other dozer on site.

That O&K G350 was a real beast and one of only 34 ever made.

Countryboy
03-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Here's an interesting cutting edge. It has been hardeened with tungsten carbide chips. This company also hardens other cutting edges too. It looks like it would hold up better than regular hard surfacing.

Mig Carbide is a welding industry generic term used to describe the process of applying Tungsten Carbide Chips onto various items like Bulldozer Blades, Dragline Buckets, Grader Blades, Sugar Mill Rolls, Wheel Loader Buckets, Excavator Buckets etc.

This is done by creating a molten puddle on the part and depositing Tungsten Carbide chips into the puddle so that when it cools, Tungsten Carbide is frozen within the puddle

This is the site (http://www.arm.com.au/index.htm).

Grader4me
03-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Great link..Thanks! We use the ordinary serrated blades a lot in the winter for scarfying roads. They do wear down quite fast. These blades in the picture should last a long time.

Countryboy
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Great link..Thanks! We use the ordinary serrated blades a lot in the winter for scarfying roads. They do wear down quite fast. These blades in the picture should last a long time.

According to the site, the wear time is increased by 300% by adding the tungsten carbide flakes. I wonder if anybody in the States markets this process as the company listed is Down Under.

Grader4me
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
According to the site, the wear time is increased by 300% by adding the tungsten carbide flakes. I wonder if anybody in the States markets this process as the company listed is Down Under.

This is the first time I have ever seen or heard tell of this concept. I checked out your link, but didn't see the price of a blade unless I missed it. I am sure that this would go over quite big for those companies that use this type of blade.
Wonder what it would work like on an ordinary(straight) moldboard blade.

Countryboy
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
This is the first time I have ever seen or heard tell of this concept. I checked out your link, but didn't see the price of a blade unless I missed it. I am sure that this would go over quite big for those companies that use this type of blade.
Wonder what it would work like on an ordinary(straight) moldboard blade.

Well the site also says they can apply the process to any metallic surface. There was a picture gallery on there somewhere that had alot of different pieces of equipment to which they had applied the process. I just put the grader edge pics in here as it fit the topic. You could probably even have it applied to the moldboard itself if you wanted.

Grader4me
03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Well the site also says they can apply the process to any metallic surface. There was a picture gallery on there somewhere that had alot of different pieces of equipment to which they had applied the process. I just put the grader edge pics in here as it fit the topic. You could probably even have it applied to the moldboard itself if you wanted.

Great information...Maybe this might catch on...Thanks again for the link!

334 lawn co
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
this is sorta what i was talkin about. the whole boom mower on grader thing. not the one i was talkin about though.

Countryboy
03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Here we go....... The first group of pics is the front mower and the second set of pics is of one with a side mower.

link (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rq2ggO9FFQIBlWGjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=127o0r3ds/EXP=1173410336/**http%3A//www.jadeequipment.com/parts_pages/attach.htm)

Countryboy
03-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Here's a nudder interesting attachment: Road Press (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rqp_iO9FVBMAgyKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11d3nju5v/EXP=1173412351/**http%3A//www.roadpress.com/)

link (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rqp_iO9FVBMAgyKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11d3nju5v/EXP=1173412351/**http%3A//www.roadpress.com/)

And a couple of variations of the above. The first one has a roller instead of a moldboard and the second is more like an aspahlt compactor. They're small pictures cause the sites didn't work so I had to copy the thumbnail pic off of Yahoo.

The following 2 links aren't of graders but of a boom mower mounted on a tool carrier loader. Interesting concept.
Boom Mower (http://www.littleandco.com/little.pdf)
Boom Mower 2 (http://www.littleandco.com/images/TEKQ4766-01.pdf)

Squizzy246B
03-08-2007, 03:44 AM

CB...I'll keep my eye out on road repair machinery but I do have some experience in flame and arc applied case hardening. There is always a trade off somewhere and it usually in loss of malleability...in other words the surface becomes brittle....so what happens is you wear life is terrific but if you clip something really hard then bits chip off.

Dozerboy
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
We run tungsten teeth on all for our rippers. To have it applied on the tooth of a 9 was and extra $15, but we went form a tooth not lasting an 8hr. shift to almost a week. We have only had one ripper tooth break because of the tungsten, but it was on a hoe being used for Demo, and they took the tooth back and gave us a refund. Now we no longer run them on our hoes with rippers.

Countryboy
03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
CB...I'll keep my eye out on road repair machinery but I do have some experience in flame and arc applied case hardening. There is always a trade off somewhere and it usually in loss of malleability...in other words the surface becomes brittle....so what happens is you wear life is terrific but if you clip something really hard then bits chip off.

That makes sense Squizzy but I think the hard surfacing is just a layer with imbedded tungsten chips and not the whole edge. Would that make a difference? :beatsme

hvy 1ton
03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
The county uses a grader with miniature road-reclaimer type attachment for reworking gravel roads and maybe taking down limestone ledges? It has a motor mounted on the front of the grader to run the pump for the reclaimer. I never see it at the county yard so it might be a sub-contractor. Very odd machine, never have a chance to take pictures of it though, always about to rain on hay or some other atrocity. :bash

Grader4me
03-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I think that the roller attachment would be great. We spread asphalt with our graders (skim patching) and have rollers rented as well. If this attachment worked good it would eliminate the need/cost of the roller. Wonder how much down pressure it would take before the drum would stop rolling.
Be great to roll your road after grading it up, hummmm....I'll take two...:wink2

Grader4me
04-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Here ya go guy's. Who needs a grader??

Link (http://www.ruralhometech.com/fr/photos/index.php?Image=gehl)

PSDF350
04-12-2007, 08:36 PM
The one on the skid looked good. But I dont know how well it would work on the truck.

Deas Plant
04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi, Grader4me.
Are you thinking of buying one of these to play with in your 'impending' retirement? LOL.

If you already had the vehicle but no grader and only light work to do, it may well be a viable alternative. Mind you, I don't think it would have the same visibility characteristics as the 'M' series Cat graders. But then, what does?

Grader4me
04-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey there Deas! Yup, probably visibility would be a little poor and most likely be quite difficult to maintain a constant windrow. Be hard to regulate the moisture content as well (remember the smokin man ?)

Impending retirement? Me? Naw...I still havin to much fun...

Motor Grader
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd show you a prototype we are developing for the US Army and other government agencies around the world. We call it the C86 AACG...or "Air Assault Compact Grader". We started developing this grader in 2002 with the 101'st Airborne Combat Engineers. The war in Afghanistan and Iraq has slowed our progress but things are coming back online now. This grader is designed to roll in/out of a C-130 or be "slung" under a CH-47 as shown here. Enjoy.

Bryan Abernathy
VP Sales & Marketing
Champion Motor Graders
www.championmotorgraders.us

Motor Grader
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Here is another current project of ours. We are working with 2 other companies that specialize in road repair and track grinding. This is an asphalt profiler built and installed on our C60 Motor Grader frame. We are developing this to improve overall ride quality in our asphalt roads without the need for repaving. This is the prototype but we will be rolling out the 2nd generation sometime in July. Our new design eliminates the "pony motor" and incorporates a 203 hp engine under the hood.

Check out the full story in the Construction Equipment Guide Southeast edition. March 28, 2007. www.cegltd.com or on our website www.championmotorgraders.us.

Motor Grader
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
This was pretty cool. I recently delivered and did service and operator training in the Red Lake Gold Mine in Ontario, Canada. My class room was a service shop approximately 6000 feet below surface level. The mine is using our C86C All Wheel Drive Motor Grader to maintain their haul roads.

Bryan Abernathy
VP Sales & Marketing
Champion Motor Graders
www.championmotorgraders.us

Grader4me
04-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Welcome to HEF Motor Grader:drinkup We will look forward to your posts and...pictures! Nice ones so far!:cool:

equipment fan
04-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome to forum Motor Grader:notworthy ,thanks for your pictures.You make cool compact grader.I like it!

alco
04-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Motor Grader,

It's nice to see the Champion name again.

I'm intrigued by the C86C in use at Red Lake. Would you have any more pictures of it you could share?

Brian

digger242j
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, thought I'd show you a prototype we are developing for the US Army and other government agencies around the world...

Having seen the ladders and guardrails on some of the other equipment that's out there, I think you're going to have to add a few things to make that one OSHA compliant, if you ever expect to sell any in the civilian airborne grader marketplace... ;)

Grader4me
04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Deleted, repeat post

Xcopterdoc
04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Airborne grader eh! Sweeet! As an old CH-47 guy (over 5000 flt hours) Its nice to see one that can be slung in one piece! Some dozers and pan scrapers we had to sling in pieces because of the weight. No such thing as light weight aluminum construction equipment!

surfer-joe
04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Kern County in California does this all the time in the spring of every of year. Something about spring sets a tumbleweeds mind to notions of rolling before the wind and off they go. I've seen them completely block streets and roads around Bakersfield.

surfer-joe
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I just took a closer look at that blade clearing tumbleweeds. If that is 7th Standard Road just north of Bakersfield east of the new air terminal, the equipment yard and company that I was the Fleet Manager for is just behind and to the right of those big white storage tanks.

This road and others near it were often blocked by mountains of tumbleweeds in spring. The city and county would use graders and loaders to clear them off. Private property owners were supposed to clean out those that stacked up against their fences.

Very disconcerting to get hit by tumbleweeds whilst driving down the road, and they can do considerable damage to grills and other brittle or soft automotive parts.

Motor Grader
04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Having seen the ladders and guardrails on some of the other equipment that's out there, I think you're going to have to add a few things to make that one OSHA compliant, if you ever expect to sell any in the civilian airborne grader marketplace... ;)

Not sure what you’re talking about. We meet and/or exceed all OSHA regulations for the civilian market. We have just over 1500 units working around the world today. As for the military....this was our standard grader with modifications as instructed by the 101'st Airborne....so I think it meets everyone's standards.

Motor Grader
04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Here are a few more pics of the Champion grader in the Red Lake Mine. Not much to really take a pic of down there b/c space is limited. Thanks

Motor Grader
04-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Here is our C86 equipped with a 12' snow plow. No I don't actually think that this is gonna work for the customer. The plow was sent to us so that we could design a front lift group for a similar but smaller plow.

digger242j
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Not sure what you’re talking about. We meet and/or exceed all OSHA regulations for the civilian market. We have just over 1500 units working around the world today. As for the military....this was our standard grader with modifications as instructed by the 101'st Airborne....so I think it meets everyone's standards.

I was referring (tongue in cheek) to the guys standing on the roof of the ROPS and on the engine compartment. If that were to be seen on a civilian jobsite, they'd need ladders, and railings, and safety harnesses, and parachutes, and... ;)

Motor Grader
04-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I was referring (tongue in cheek) to the guys standing on the roof of the ROPS and on the engine compartment. If that were to be seen on a civilian jobsite, they'd need ladders, and railings, and safety harnesses, and parachutes, and... ;)

That is true! I'd hate to see the explanation in the operator's manual. The other day I was observing a demonstration of our new asphalt profiling machine and the operator was actually walking beside the machine as it came crawling down the road while profiling!

atgreene
04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I bet that grader would handle that V with no problem. V's that size are deceiving, they move a lot of snow but don't require a lot of power to do it. Nice pics!

equipment fan
04-19-2007, 07:10 AM
nice pictures,i like the big v-blade of this compact motor grader.

Dualie
04-23-2007, 02:43 AM
maybe that was the operators way of saying he wanted you guys to setup your profilers for remote control.

One suggestion is to raise the tank and rear motor up higher so i don't have to break the neck of the lowbed to put one on.

alco
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Here are a few more pics of the Champion grader in the Red Lake Mine. Not much to really take a pic of down there b/c space is limited. Thanks

Thanks for the underground pics Motor Grader, I appreciate it.

Brian

plowking740
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
here is a neat little toy that has come in handy over the years.
We chose to mount it on a 570 John Deere because of the front mount ripper made it perfect .

you could load a truck in just over a minute and a half in good conditions.
plus you could clean up behind your self. just put the blade in float and go.

the only problem was that the grader didnt work enough to generate much heat for the cab.

MKTEF
06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Here is some pictures of a Volvo VHK 510 bushcutter.
Owned by a Swedish firm, doing a job 45min south of Rena.
It is modified with a forrestcrane with a turning cutter. Rotating chains for cutting. Mounted extra engine on the left side for hyd power to the cutter.(Iveco)
Extra wheel on the right side, also had a extra sylinder on the right side of the front axel to stop the oscilation of the axle.

Had also a lot of extra weights on the left side.
Works normaly in the night when its little traffic.
As you can see it also has a crash barrier on the back. This means it can work on highways without a crashbarrier vehicle.

Had a sign saying, "This machine uses biogradable oil".
A smart sign, it leaked a lot of oil!:mad:
Truly a old machine that has seen bether days.;)
Impressive reach though.

Grader4me
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
That would be something to see going down the road. The crash barrier attachment on the back is a good idea. I'm a little surprised that they work at night though. Must have a pretty good lighting system obviously. There is an old Austin Western grader in this area thats rigged up for cutting roadside brush, but not to that degree. Thanks for the pictures!

On edit...Looking at the pictures again...Where are the lights? I see the headlights but thats it. Maybe I'm having a blind moment or something.

Deas Plant
06-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi, MKTEF.
Wadda BEEEST. I'd bet it would be difficult though doing final trim on airport runways, etc., to +/- 1/8" - 3mm - with those chains. LOL.

Somebody has put a bit of thought and effort into that jigger to set it up for its intended new purpose. Thanks for the photos. Great stuff.

PSDF350
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Here is some pictures of a Volvo VHK 510 bushcutter.
Owned by a Swedish firm, doing a job 45min south of Rena.
It is modified with a forrestcrane with a turning cutter. Rotating chains for cutting. Mounted extra engine on the left side for hyd power to the cutter.(Iveco)
Extra wheel on the right side, also had a extra sylinder on the right side of the front axel to stop the oscilation of the axle.

Had also a lot of extra weights on the left side.
Works normaly in the night when its little traffic.
As you can see it also has a crash barrier on the back. This means it can work on highways without a crashbarrier vehicle.

Had a sign saying, "This machine uses biogradable oil".
A smart sign, it leaked a lot of oil!:mad:
Truly a old machine that has seen bether days.;)
Impressive reach though.
As weird grader applications go, that has to be the weirdest. Thanks for sharing.

MKTEF
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Well i think you are getting old grader4me.:cool:
There are 2 lights on the craneconsol, and 4-5 on the main-frame.
Seen by the side of the exsaust pipe on the extra engine.

This type of modification is not common but i have seen 3-4 in 37 years.
Normaly we use tractors or wheelloaders for brushcutting.:)
I will see if i can find a more weird use for a grader....

Grader4me
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Well i think you are getting old grader4me.:cool:
There are 2 lights on the craneconsol, and 4-5 on the main-frame.
Seen by the side of the exsaust pipe on the extra engine.

This type of modification is not common but i have seen 3-4 in 37 years.
Normaly we use tractors or wheelloaders for brushcutting.:)
I will see if i can find a more weird use for a grader....

Lol..Yes, I am getting old MKTEF...Blinder than a darn old bat. Thanks!

Deas Plant
06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi, Folks.
Would anybody be interested in signing a petition to ask Steve to use a bigger font on these forums for the poor ol' geezer in the post above who wasn't able to see the additional lights.

Grader4me
06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Lol...Thanks Deas! It might help a bit :beatsme :D

Dwan Hall
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
What size would you Have to have?

Deas Plant
06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi, Dwan.
Ain'tchya got any bigger fonts than those? Yer gotta make it real easy on ther old fossil. LOL.

Grader4me
06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
You guy's are just to funny! Here I attached a picture of myself...now can you see why I have a little problem seeing??

Deas Plant
06-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi, Grader4me.
So when does the motorised wheelchair arrive. I just hope you ordered the heavy-duty one. And I do still have a couple of old glass coke bottles here if they are any use to you. It's a bit rough though that your mother makes you sleep out the back with the dog. I really pity the dog. Maybe we ought to put in a report to animal cruelty.

ROFLMAO

Grader4me
06-07-2007, 05:02 AM
I don't like the motorized wheelchairs, even though I am blind, can't hear, suffer from hair loss, I am still in good phycial condition. I prefer this type

Would someone please post a picture of a weird grader application so we can salvage this thread? I promise on my poor mothers grave that I will put on my glasses next time I look at a picture. :) :Pointhead

Squizzy246B
06-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Would someone please post a picture of a weird grader application so we can salvage this thread?

Its been my experience that when you have come this far....its probably beyond salvage!....but I'm sure someone can help.....Just so long as nobody posts any pictures of weird grader drivers:eek: things will be just fine....when I hit "new Posts" I wont see "weird" and "grader" in the same line and have that mental image appear:eek:

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Hi, Grader4me.
Huh? Not only blind but a blind speed freak.

No weird grader pics but a 4 of a bit of an old-timer, a Cat Auto Patrol #11 grader.

Dwan Hall
06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Weird grader

Grader4me
06-07-2007, 12:05 PM
HaaaaaaHaaaa....thats a good one Dwan!! Creative little fella ain't ya??? Lol

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi, Dwan.
Good one. Now let's see what applications Grader4me can come up with for it. LOL.

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Helloooooo, Squiiiizzzzyyyyyy.
How's your mental imagery now?

wrenchbender
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't like the motorized wheelchairs, even though I am blind, can't hear, suffer from hair loss, I am still in good phycial condition. I prefer this type

Would someone please post a picture of a weird grader application so we can salvage this thread? I promise on my poor mothers grave that I will put on my glasses next time I look at a picture. :) :Pointhead

Yes I think maybe a blade would fit under........... I'm sure I could fit that one with a blade.

wrenchbender
06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes I think maybe a blade would fit under........... I'm sure I could fit that one with a blade.

To late Dwan beat me to it
This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 61 seconds.
This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23 seconds I'm trying to wait Hurry

Grader4me
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Wrenchbender...I always thought that you was the sensible one of the bunch..wait a minute :confused: ...what am I saying:Banghead :Pointhead :drinkup :waving

Countryboy
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Does the front wheel tilt......:D

wrenchbender
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Wrenchbender...I always thought that you was the sensible one of the bunch..wait a minute :confused: ...what am I saying:Banghead :Pointhead :drinkup :waving

As seen by my own posting you should always think twice and post once.anyway that's a nice Grader

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi, Wrenchbender.
Naahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! If it feels good - - - DO IT.

The toys in the photos are:

1. Volvo with rear sloper blade.

2. Seman mini grader.

3, 4 and 5. Champion 760 with blades everywhere.

wrenchbender
06-07-2007, 10:40 PM
What is that on the front of the Seman Mini? :beatsme A solar panel to charge the nic cad batteries that it runs on?lol

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi, Wrenchbender.
Ackshully, I think it's a device to extract dumb questions from photo viewers. LOL.

Maybe you need specs too, like Grader4me. Now I admit that I can't actually read it from here but it looks like a board that has been put up with the machine specs on it. Wait'll I git me magnifying glass and I'll read it fer yer.

Deas Plant
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi, Folks.
Anybody volunteering for a shot at this jigger? And would you run it standing up or sitting down? It's a LeTourneau C3 electric drive grader.

Squizzy246B
06-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Helloooooo, Squiiiizzzzyyyyyy.
How's your mental imagery now?

Its mucherA betterA thanks Deas....great comeback too...this could be the biggest salvage job in HEF History:notworthy :notworthy

Deas Plant
06-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi, Squizzy.
Wrenchbender owes me a beer. He was willing to bet that the Diamond T thread over at Old Iron wouldn't be salvaged and I done dat too. Sometimes, even I'm surprised at what I have stored on my PC.

wrenchbender
06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi, Wrenchbender.
Ackshully, I think it's a device to extract dumb questions from photo viewers. LOL.

Maybe you need specs too, like Grader4me. Now I admit that I can't actually read it from here but it looks like a board that has been put up with the machine specs on it. Wait'll I git me magnifying glass and I'll read it fer yer.

:oops :duh ahh this is better

Grader4me
06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
What is that on the front of the Seman Mini? :beatsme A solar panel to charge the nic cad batteries that it runs on?lol

Nope..It's a training Grader. What you see is the place where the instructor writes the notes. Takes the guess work out of it for the trainee:beatsme:Pointhead

Deas Plant
06-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi, Grader4me.
That explanation will do me. Now how come I didn't think of that? Maybe it was the lack of training wheels on the grader. Or maybe training methods have advanced a bit since the bad old days when they pointed you at a machine and told you to sort it out.

I'm not sure that current methods are making any better operators but I AM sure that Workplace (Occupational) Health And Safety (WHS/OHS) rules have taken a LOT of the fun out of the game.

A couple of examples:

Quote:
"The company employed a ‘spare’ operator on that job so that in case some-one didn’t turn up for work, there was another operator who could get on the machine. When all the ‘troops’ were present, the spare operator’s duties involved relieving the other operators through the day. This spare operator never directly gave me a spell on the ‘dozer but, while he was relieving the scraper operators, they would often come and want to have a go at push-loading the scrapers. On one such occasion, I was on the ground while one of these scraper operators was having a play with the ‘dozer when one of the scraper operators pulled in to be loaded close to where I was standing with me on the blind side of his machine where he could no longer see me. After all of two second’s thought, I went around to the front of his machine, climbed up on to the bumper bar and held on till the I felt the slight jolt which indicated that the ‘dozer had started to push that scraper to load it. I then swung one boot up over the top of the radiator, left it there for a second and pulled it down again knowing that the operator would most likely have been looking backwards as the ‘dozer came in to start pushing him and would probably look forward again for a moment as the scraper started to move. After I had pulled my boot back down, I stuck my grinning face up over the top of the radiator to see what might be going on. Not unexpectedly, the scraper operator was turned around facing the ‘dozer behind him, waving his arms like a demented windmill and shouting, “Whoa! Stop! Hold it!” The ‘dozer operator stopped pushing, the scraper stopped moving and the scraper operator turned to the front once more – to see my grinning mug poked up above his radiator. I received a brief run-down on my ancestry and capabilities.

I don’t know how he thought a man being run over on the ground was going to get his boot over the top of the radiator which was 8 feet above the ground while he was being run over. This is even more puzzling when you consider that the front wheels which would be doing the running over are about 7 feet behind the radiator but even he could laugh about it by knock-off time that day."
End quote.

Quote:
"On another occasion, I was on the ground when another scraper pulled in with me on the blind side, so I climbed up on to the footplate beside the engine, keeping down out of sight as I did so, and grasped the throttle linkage. I waited until the ‘dozer started pushing the scraper and as the scraper operator pressed the accelerator for a LITTLE more power, I pulled hard on the linkage giving the engine full throttle and a LOT of power. When he realized that the engine was revving far harder than he wanted, the scraper operator reached down to pull the accelerator back up to slow the engine down again. I held the linkage down for a moment to make him use more force to pull it up then I suddenly let go causing him to pull the accelerator all the way up, which is how you shut these engines off. I then poked my grinning face up over the engine cover to see the operator frantically trying to restart his machine. When he saw me, he called me an ‘unprintable’ name and gave me another run-down on my ancestry and capabilities.

I told the man who had been relieving me on the ‘dozer of this episode when I took over from him again. He reckoned it was a huge joke too and said that he had wondered at the time what was going on."
End quote.

See what I mean? That was in 1972. If I tried the same sort of thing now, I'd get 'shot'. Mind you, it was 'frowned upon' back then too, just not GLARED at.

wrenchbender
06-09-2007, 10:45 PM
These may not be weird applications but they are old and weird looking except the first one wazzissit?

Deas Plant
06-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi, Wrenchbender.
That is obviously an animation that somebody has put together based on, I theeeenk, an old Cat 12E. I remember seeing a form of one-ended blade box fitted to a couple of council graders way back in the dim and distant past. The reasoning seemed to be that they could control the amount of material that the blade actually held to better enable them to cut and fill potholes in gravel/dirt roads. I don't remember them being hydraulic adjustment. I think they were probably more likely to have been a screw adjustment.

I haven't seen any of them since I started running graders so I don't KNOW but I'd guess that they would do a run along each shoulder, bringing material into the middle of the road. If the two windrows met, they would then split them and take half to each shoulder again. If the windrows didn't meet, they would probably work them until they did then split them to the shoulders.

One of the little quirks of grading is that working one way only does not get the best possible job. The best possible result comes from working the material both ways across any given pass but with the blade angled in opposite directions. To put it another way, if you have the toe (front) of your blade on the left on the first pass, you need to set youself up to travel in the SAME direction but with the blade angled the other way - toe on the right - to take the material back again. This helps to eliminate any uneveness caused by existing corrugations in the road or by 'stump-jump' in the grader.

You CAN set yourself up to do this, even on multiple pass roads and even when you are doing return cuts, turning around and working your back in the opposite direction after each pass. All you need to do is work in the SAME direction as your last pass of the first cut over when you start taking the material back across the road. This may mean 'dead-heading' - travelling empty from one end of the job to the other - so that you can work with your blade angled the opposite way from your last pass. It tends not to get done a lot when you have many miles of road being graded at once. Then, it's more likely to be, 'cut a windrow from one side to the other and move on'.

Thanks for the photos.

plowking740
06-10-2007, 12:40 AM
These may not be weird applications but they are old and weird looking except the first one wazzissit?

That little thing in the first picture is a cut off, or strike off or something else depending where you live. I have seen them on graders, usually in town that plow streets. when entering the intersection or crossing a drive way you just drop it down, and it carries material across the driveway/intersecton. That way you dont fill in the drive way of some cranky old person or the golfing buddy of the mayor and half to get blasted by hundreds of phone calls.

I have seen some little short ones that stick out about 2 feet from the blade and some really huge ones of about 5 ft. Im not sure who makes them and I do know that you have to really be careful because you can hit a tire or even rip it off on a curb.

I got the chance to run a grader simular to the last one that you have. it was even pulled by a team of horses. It was a blast but after about two hours it is a real killer on the legs and back. , not because of the manual wheel to lift the blade, but the steel wheels on the ground.

goes to show what kind of an operator thoes old timers were.

Lashlander
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Ha Ha, you can tell where you guys live. Thats a snow gate. When your plowing snow and come to someones driveway you drop the gate and drag the snow til your past their driveway. You raise and lower it on the fly so it doesn't slow you down. Its really good for public relations.:cool:

Got corked by Plowking740!

MKTEF
06-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Lashlander is correct.(as usual):notworthy

Over here we call them snowstoppers. They are stopping the snow when grading past a sideroad.
We buy them from Vammas in Finland, but i have seen a commercial video on youtube from a US based firm that produses the same type of equipment.
We prefer Vammas' solution because it is so fast, like a guiljotine.
The picture dosen't show it, but theese are huge, 5 feet at least.:)

Here is a vammas brochure showing it: https://www.patria.fi/modules/upndown/download_file.asp?id=B3A608E3296740DCA09475F52EBBB A3D

I choosed the english one for you guy's.
And for Cats inovation, Vammas has had the joysticks for some years now..

Grader4me
06-10-2007, 06:33 AM
MKTEF the link that you provided is coming up on my computer as an unsafe site, but it could be that I have my security level set quite high.

I have only seen the snow catcher attachments that go on the wing, so this is another new one to me. This one on the moldboard would'nt be much use to us in the winter.

By Deas Plant
I remember seeing a form of one-ended blade box fitted to a couple of council graders way back in the dim and distant past. The reasoning seemed to be that they could control the amount of material that the blade actually held to better enable them to cut and fill potholes in gravel/dirt roads. I don't remember them being hydraulic adjustment. I think they were probably more likely to have been a screw adjustment

Deas, We have these types of end plates for most of our graders. We call them "asphalt end bits" They box in both sides of the moldboard and are used mainly for spreading asphalt on the road. We refer to it as "skim patching" and this term is just what it means. Trucks tail spread the asphalt and you level with the grader. The end bits allow you to carry the asphalt for a greater distance. The great thing about them as well is you can keep a near perfect straight edge on the shoulder. I will try to post a couple of pictures the first of the week.
They work good for shouldering as well.

MKTEF
06-10-2007, 10:16 AM
You are right.

You have to admit windows to visit the site even if its unsafe.
Then you get it up, and you can save the brochure if it looks nice.
1 mb of pdf.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nwa41y6sA
The video shows one from IRONEX.

The one posted by wrenchbender is made by Henke.

We don't do this type of work so we doesn't use it.:o

wrenchbender
06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys ,I knew it wasn't really weird but it was to me cause we don't see any of that white stuff around here very often. And untill now I'd never seen one of them critters at all. Now I know what it is and what it does even seen it in action. Now if I run across one at a sale I won't look STUPID if asked what is that?

Dwan Hall
06-11-2007, 12:34 AM
I have podted this before but not sure if it was on this site or the snow plow site.

This is a grader loader combination working snow. They have been doing this same job for over 20 years that I know of. Maybe not the same operators but the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWNu_x0x5UA

MKTEF
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Here is some pictures i took today of a wierd grader modification.
This one has two tanks with propane on the back.(No smoking....):eek:

And then a lot of propane heaters under the "blade" and on the back.
It is used to heat the asphalt before laying out a new layer on it.
I beliewe they can add a thinner layer, when it is heated with this grader.

Have a look at the stearing post on the right..:cool:
I bet he dosent drive so fast.
And the frame is extended.(rather fine and good weld)

A old Nord-verk grader, i didn't have time to find the type plate.
(you can have a glimse of my dessertcoloured Scania suction and spooling truck on the first pic.)

Grader4me
07-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Is there an award that we give out for the weirdest grader application?? If so you have just won it my friend! Holy mother of god...I wouldn't get within 100 feet of that beast..Look at the size of the dam propane tanks! :eek: Great find :drinkup

MKTEF
07-03-2007, 04:40 PM
He he.
After some tought, i beliewe its an old Volvo Grader.:cool2

I have seen a more odd grader, still loking for a chanse to get som pic.
Time will show if i find it. Then we'll se on the comments.:cool:
Enjoy this one till then...:D

LDK
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
:eek: I guess you would call that a rear end loader:confused: the best way to load a truck with that would be to move the truck into position instead of trying to get the grader into position:Banghead

Just wondering if you had seen that method of positioning the truck and not the loader used.
I was on a site where the 773 trucks pulled forward after every bucketfull and the 992 went straight into the face, when he reversed back with a full bucket the truck would reverse back under his raised bucket. I had never seen this method used before or since. They had 2 teams there and they both used the same method. The guys on the trucks never had time to pick up a newspaper or open a thermos.

surfer-joe
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Regarding the method of loading Cat 773 end-dumps that LDK mentions. We switched to this method at a surface coal mine in Kentucky back in 85 and increased our production 25% or more.

In that case, we used two 992C loaders at the face. The first loader would fill his bucket, back up whilst raising the boom, and the 773 would drive in front. After dumping the load into the truck, the loader waited a second for the truck to drive ahead, then went back into the bank.

The truck meanwhile, pulled in front of the second loader, which had a full bucket, and as soon as that was dumped in, took off for the hollow-fill. We usually kept at least two D9's pushing to the loaders, sometimes if they fell behind we moved a D10 over for a while to help out or maybe another 9 or two.

We ran three spreads like this everywhere we could and achieved tremendous production while lowering our cost. It was a sight to see twenty-five 773's circling around those loaders in near constant motion. Never a dull moment. Three 16G blades kept the haul roads in good condition and they circled in front of the loaders just like the haul trucks. We had four water trucks there and they did the same.

There were five 60 ton Wabco's involved as soon as I got them all repaired and updated, and also four 85 ton Wabco's. Generally, the 60's got the same loadings as the 773's, whilst the 85's would circle around twice to get four dumps. Occasionally we would introduce a third loader if the bench was big enough and just run the Wabco's by that spread. That loader was a 475 Michigan and was kept (by necessity) as a backup when it was running.

This method saves a tremendous amount of time and is one our engineers worked out with Caterpillar. I think we were one of the more successful mines and one of the first if not the very first, that employed this way of loading trucks.

LDK is right, there was hardly time for anyone to grab a snack as there was no let up of trucks and loading was nearly a continuous forward-reverse motion. This resembles a high speed scraper spread in some ways.

I used to work for a Northern Michigan contractor back in the seventies and we quite often would team a grader and the 280 Michigan I ran to plow snow. Being as the 280 was a monster compared to the Deere grader, we did have to be a bit careful when working side by side. All our blades were equipped with V-plows in front, and a snow-wing on the right side. The blade would start clearing a oil or gas well location by starting at the pump-jack and going around it in a circle. He would do this till he had the snow pushed all the way out to the edges of the pad. Then he would use the wing to knock the top back even further. Eventually it would get to be too much for the blade to handle, so then I would knock the bank even further back with the 280. It was a lot of fun.

The only place I ever saw a grader with a loader attachment was a county road department in Michigan back in the early sixties. That one happened to be mounted on the rear of the machine. I guess I did once see a blade with a front-mounted loader assembly, also a county machine, but it was sitting in the equipment yard and didn't look as if it had run for a long time. The other was working, loading road base gravel out of a pit. The one machine was an Adams, not sure what the 2nd was.

LDK
07-03-2007, 08:58 PM
In the same era, I knew a guy that when tandem pushing scrapers with a single ram 9G he would on occaision after buttoning up to the 9 in front make his way across the hood and down the ram of his dozer, then up on to the button of the 9 in front and tap the operator on the shoulder, it would be a shock for him to say the least! Another party piece was doing hand stands on the hood while he was pushing scrapers. In my younger days I would think that it was great crack, now I'm not so sure!
Hi, Grader4me.
That explanation will do me. Now how come I didn't think of that? Maybe it was the lack of training wheels on the grader. Or maybe training methods have advanced a bit since the bad old days when they pointed you at a machine and told you to sort it out.

I'm not sure that current methods are making any better operators but I AM sure that Workplace (Occupational) Health And Safety (WHS/OHS) rules have taken a LOT of the fun out of the game.

A couple of examples:

Quote:
"The company employed a ‘spare’ operator on that job so that in case some-one didn’t turn up for work, there was another operator who could get on the machine. When all the ‘troops’ were present, the spare operator’s duties involved relieving the other operators through the day. This spare operator never directly gave me a spell on the ‘dozer but, while he was relieving the scraper operators, they would often come and want to have a go at push-loading the scrapers. On one such occasion, I was on the ground while one of these scraper operators was having a play with the ‘dozer when one of the scraper operators pulled in to be loaded close to where I was standing with me on the blind side of his machine where he could no longer see me. After all of two second’s thought, I went around to the front of his machine, climbed up on to the bumper bar and held on till the I felt the slight jolt which indicated that the ‘dozer had started to push that scraper to load it. I then swung one boot up over the top of the radiator, left it there for a second and pulled it down again knowing that the operator would most likely have been looking backwards as the ‘dozer came in to start pushing him and would probably look forward again for a moment as the scraper started to move. After I had pulled my boot back down, I stuck my grinning face up over the top of the radiator to see what might be going on. Not unexpectedly, the scraper operator was turned around facing the ‘dozer behind him, waving his arms like a demented windmill and shouting, “Whoa! Stop! Hold it!” The ‘dozer operator stopped pushing, the scraper stopped moving and the scraper operator turned to the front once more – to see my grinning mug poked up above his radiator. I received a brief run-down on my ancestry and capabilities.

I don’t know how he thought a man being run over on the ground was going to get his boot over the top of the radiator which was 8 feet above the ground while he was being run over. This is even more puzzling when you consider that the front wheels which would be doing the running over are about 7 feet behind the radiator but even he could laugh about it by knock-off time that day."
End quote.

Quote:
"On another occasion, I was on the ground when another scraper pulled in with me on the blind side, so I climbed up on to the footplate beside the engine, keeping down out of sight as I did so, and grasped the throttle linkage. I waited until the ‘dozer started pushing the scraper and as the scraper operator pressed the accelerator for a LITTLE more power, I pulled hard on the linkage giving the engine full throttle and a LOT of power. When he realized that the engine was revving far harder than he wanted, the scraper operator reached down to pull the accelerator back up to slow the engine down again. I held the linkage down for a moment to make him use more force to pull it up then I suddenly let go causing him to pull the accelerator all the way up, which is how you shut these engines off. I then poked my grinning face up over the engine cover to see the operator frantically trying to restart his machine. When he saw me, he called me an ‘unprintable’ name and gave me another run-down on my ancestry and capabilities.

I told the man who had been relieving me on the ‘dozer of this episode when I took over from him again. He reckoned it was a huge joke too and said that he had wondered at the time what was going on."
End quote.

See what I mean? That was in 1972. If I tried the same sort of thing now, I'd get 'shot'. Mind you, it was 'frowned upon' back then too, just not GLARED at.

Grader4me
07-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Yeah, back in the old days a person was willing to risk their life to scare the dickens out of his fellow operator. Of course there was also a chance that your fellow operator could have a heart attack during these just for fun sessions.

What ever happened to the good old days??:D

MKTEF
07-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Good old days is gone.
You can't do any tricks with others anymore. You will get fired for being stupid and set security and people at risk.

But i bet u can do some tricks:
Like puting a fish on the exaust manifold.:)
Smells good after an hour, worse after two and horrible after 4-5.
Was tested out in a car some years ago in my home village.
I beliewe it wold work well in a scraper.:)

The tricks of today has to be possible without setting security at risk...:D

Here is a wierd grader aplication for u.

A bad one though, the series IV is famous for weak front axles.:(
(it was only for moving the forks away)
But it fits perfect, cause we got standard Volvo coupler in front.

LDK
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Good old days is gone.
You can't do any tricks with others anymore. You will get fired for being stupid and set security and people at risk.

But i bet u can do some tricks:
Like puting a fish on the exaust manifold.:)
Smells good after an hour, worse after two and horrible after 4-5.
Was tested out in a car some years ago in my home village.
I beliewe it wold work well in a scraper.:)

I was on a project in 71 where one of the guys put a smoked herring in the heater unit in the cab of an R35 terex, it took a while for the operator to find where the smell was coming from and even thouh he pulled that fish out of there, that smell never realy left.
The truck went away that winter to another site but when it came back to our site in the spring sodid the smell.

Deas Plant
10-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi, Folks.
I found this little toy on another site:

http://www.constructioncentric.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1185248895

I thought some of you who have a bit of time on graders might like to see it. Especially Grader4me.

Any guesses as to what it might be intended for. I warn you there are NO prizes here 'cos I've already put my guess on the other forum.

MKTEF
10-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Underground mining for shure.:rolleyes:
The Champion guy posted som pics from a grader he had sold to a mine.

And i'll post a picture of one too.:)

This is a Veekmas FG 5S for underground mining. Got 4wd. Hydrostatic drive.

Another thing:
Veekmas has bought up all the stocks in the Patria Vammas grader factory.
Now there is only one grader produser in scandinavia.;)

Have to see if they change the name on the Vammas.
And i bet one of the importers her in Norway got to find something else to import....:o

Grader4me
10-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi, Folks.
I found this little toy on another site:

http://www.constructioncentric.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1185248895

I thought some of you who have a bit of time on graders might like to see it. Especially Grader4me.

Any guesses as to what it might be intended for. I warn you there are NO prizes here 'cos I've already put my guess on the other forum.

That is one mean looking machine! Thanks for sharing Deas.

This is a Veekmas FG 5S for underground mining. Got 4wd. Hydrostatic drive.

That's a weird looking one for sure.

DigDug
10-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Heres a video of a grader plowing with the gate on . These are to keep drives and road intersections clear of snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nwa41y6sA

72V
10-07-2007, 11:02 AM
My memory is not very good for a man my age, but I remember moving a log deck out of a road I needed to rock, one log at a time, with a bull choker I had wrapped up on the ripper of my 14G for who knows what. I've taken out stumps with a grader too.

The best use for a grader I can think of was told to me by a logger who worked around the man who taught me to run blade. The logger was going up the road one day when around the corner comes my mentor, grinning like the Cheshire cat, with a nice buck swinging from the corner of his uplifted moldboard.

MKTEF
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Here is the specs for the Veekmas mining grader: (Enjoy it:) )

Model: Mining Grader FG 5 C
Dimensions: Max. height 1 990 mm
Max. width 2 000 mm
Max. length 6 940 mm
Wheelbase 4 350 mm
Weight 7 380 kg
Max. outside turning radius 4 400 mm without a front blade
Engine: Water-cooled diesel engine, Deutz BF4M 1012 C
78 kW/2 300 rpm
Warning light for overheating and low oil pressure
Electric system: 24 V with an electrical starting system
Two dual beam headlights
Working lights directed forwards and backwards
Warning light
Brake lights
Back-up lights
Back-up alarm with automatically self-adjusting volume
Warning signal horn
Instrument panel: Engine temperature, oil pressure, volt meter, fuel level gauge and service meter
Transmission: Clark 353
Heavy duty hydrostatic drive system
Two speed ranges
Disengagement by foot brake pedal
Sauer hydraulic drive pump
Sauer hydraulic drive motor
All-wheel drive
Axles: Hurth single rear axle with planetary gears
Differential gear lock
Front axle with hub motors
Tires: Front: 9 x 20
Rear: 12 x 20
Steering: Power assisted hydraulic steering
Hydraulically articulating frame
Brakes: Hydraulic pressure operated, oil-immersed, effect on driving axles
Dual system service brake
Parking brake on rear axle
Spring applied emergency system
Emergency brake application on low oil pressure
Low oil pressure warning system
Canopy: ROPS and FOPS approved
Hydraulics: Hydraulic tank 60 l
Pressure 130 bar
Load sensing compensators
Pressure filters 120 micron
Fuel tank: Capacity 129 l
Middle blade: Blade shock suspension installation
Overload protection
Hydraulically operated
Length 9 feet (2 745 mm)
Height 340 mm + 60 mm
Cutting blade 15 mm
Turns 43° left and 57° right
Front blade: Hydraulically operated length 2 000 mm
Control levers: On both sides on the steering wheel
Lubrication: Safematic SG50 automatic lubrication system
Manuals: Spare parts manuals and maintenance/workshop manuals three sets of each
Optional equipment: Automatic fire extinguisher system
ROPS and FOPS approved cabin
Spare wheels

dumptrucker
10-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Heres a video of a grader plowing with the gate on . These are to keep drives and road intersections clear of snow.

Geez! If we can't plow the snow into people's freshly shoveled driveways , then what are they going to whine about and what are we going to do with the snow?

Countryboy
10-11-2007, 08:24 PM
What is the white attachment mounted on this moldboard? This is the only picture I could find.

Here is a disc harrow for mounting on the back of a motorgrader.

Motor Grader Rotary Scarifier. - The unit can scarify, pulverize, mix, aerate and still leave the front blade available for immediate use. It can be attached to any Caterpillar 12 or 14 grader equipped with hydraulic power. Two models of scarifier: 12 or 22 blades of 28 x % in. (711 x 6 mm.). -

MANUFACTURER: Towner Manufacturing Co., Santa Ana., California. U.S.A.

Moldboard Stabilizer

Stabilizer for grader blade. - Mounted behind the blade of Caterpillar graders 12E and 14D, improves stability and reduces jerking. Operated by hydraulic power it increases contact with soil near the edge of the blade, does not hinder the movement of the blade. Driver can increase or decrease pressure as convenient or raise stabilizer above soil level.

CONSTRUCTORS: Caterpillar Overseas S. A., 1211 Geneva 3, Switzerland.

This is just an interesting old grader I found.

white_boyz1
10-11-2007, 09:04 PM
hey country that strange thing on the moldboard is the ceiling support beam,look at the one in the background...

Countryboy
10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
hey country that strange thing on the moldboard is the ceiling support beam,look at the one in the background...

People and their crappy picture angles. :rolleyes:

OR

Maybe the picture is showing the strength of the grader......"The NEW and IMPROVED Volvo grader has the strength to support an entire building on JUST the moldboard.".......:D

OR

Well its obvious to everyone now.....you ruined it. I was going to see if everybody else could figure it out. :cool2

Ok, ok.......I was fooled. Thanks for pointing that out. :drinkup

trainwreck
10-12-2007, 12:44 AM
i have not read all the post in this thread, but on page 3 when you guys were talking about the carbide cutting edge stuff there is a company in woodburn oregon that does all our wear plates for the wood grinder. they are right the will last about 300% longer with the carbide on them, he will put that on any steel you want him to. we also run it on cutting edge on our 966e in the rock pit. If you want more info on the company we use pm me

Grader4me
10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Hey CB, do you have a case of the Grader4me can't see a dam thing syndrome?:D

I like the moldboard stabilizer..never heard tell of it before. Thanks for the pictures!:)

nedly05
10-12-2007, 05:29 AM
I think you might have left yourself wide open there CB, I can't pick on you tho cuz I was wondering the same thing until I read on.....:D

Grader4me
10-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I missed this one. Great video clip! I've heard tell of these before but attached to a wing. I don't think I would like it though...I would miss all of the one fingered salutes that I've grown so accustomed to over the years from filling the driveways full.

Reminds me of a story... We were out shoving snow banks back one day, this was quite a few years ago. Truck plow was going ahead, taking the first slice on the snow bank shoving it back. I was coming behind with the grader shoving the bank back further. This one lady that was living along this route was a contankerous old girl, and we were not her most favorite people on any given day. As a matter of fact no one was.

So she heard the plow truck coming and she grabbed her shovel and stood at the end of her driveway so that the plow had to lift the wing and go out around her. She had a big nasty grin on her face as the guy's went around her. This left quite a ridge of snow on the road itself. So she turned around and strutted back into her house. She made a very bad mistake that day. She never seen me coming behind with the grader....:D :D

Squizzy246B
10-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Is this guy flying ...is that speed normal or is it the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK9rYIzjmY

Grader4me
10-13-2007, 07:16 PM
The video makes it look like it is flying, but you notice that the snow is rolling off the plow good and sending it to the side. If he was going as fast as it appears, the snow would be coming back over the plow and visibility would be poor.
Most graders only have a top speed of 30 to 35 miles per hour. Pushing snow (depending on how much of course) speed will be reduced.

Squizzy246B
10-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Off topic....but:rolleyes: This guy looks like he's moving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QenN5DVuLtw

wrenchbender
10-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Off topic....but:rolleyes: This guy looks like he's moving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QenN5DVuLtw

Not really OT he was grading snow and very well I might add. Oh and I agree wiff ya he looked to be gittin on wiff tha program.

Motor Grader
11-17-2007, 02:04 AM
What is the white attachment mounted on this moldboard? This is the only picture I could find.

Here is a disc harrow for mounting on the back of a motorgrader.

Moldboard Stabilizer

This is just an interesting old grader I found.

Yea, that was the ceiling support. This show was up in Canada and I was there. ****** booth we were in. Way too much equipment.

MKTEF
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Found this "grader" on a Swedish homesite.:)
6x6 Scania Grader, US style.
Front blade, main blade and gravelspreader:D
And its military green.:)
This guy is building gravel roads.

Steve Frazier
01-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks like it does a great job! Strange, but it looks like one side of the box is aluminum and the other wood?

Ray Welsh
01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Found this "grader" on a Swedish homesite.:)
6x6 Scania Grader, US style.
Front blade, main blade and gravelspreader:D
And its military green.:)
This guy is building gravel roads.

That looks like a good product he left behind. Ingenuity can beat bulldust anyday.........C ya........Ray

atgreene
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
He just needs to crown it and he'd be good to go.

TriHonu
01-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Here is a current wanna-be...
What do you suppose this will grow-up to be?

Rockbreaker
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Found this one for sale today.
Looks pretty despite the age:cool2

Grader4me
01-30-2008, 05:31 AM
It looks to be in excellent shape. Do you know what year it is?

Rockbreaker
01-30-2008, 06:50 AM
It looks to be in excellent shape. Do you know what year it is?

Yes i do..
1974 model,rebuildt in 1982 with the attachment there are on it now.
Been used on Air ports in Sweden.:cool:

thejdman04
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
And this is how you pack a Cat 14G into a shipping container. :cool2

link (http://home1.gte.net/res0pk3m/grader.htm)

so thats how they get a grader there.

brycemaclennan
02-07-2008, 10:19 PM
(first post here, Hi all)

Pulling semi truck drivers who are used to dry flat lands up the snowy side streets so they can turn around, as the pass is closed and they have to go around. :D

Countryboy
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't seem to have image posting privileges, so here are two links to the pictures.

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums brycemaclennan! :drinkup

Check out the second red link in my signature for help with posting pictures. :)

brycemaclennan
02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks. The option to have attachments is not there for me yet. Probably has something to do with me still being a "Probationary Member" since I have 3 posts. ;-)

Countryboy
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks. The option to have attachments is not there for me yet. Probably has something to do with me still being a "Probationary Member" since I have 3 posts. ;-)

If you are refering to IMG tags, those aren't available on this board. You should be able to post pictures, by uploading, on your first post though. :)

Steve Frazier
02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
My my my Mr. Moderator! Apparently you haven't seen the memo, lol! brycemaclennan is correct, until he passes from Probationary status his image posting privileges, among others, are restricted. This is to protect our member's privacy from solicitors and spammers.

Countryboy
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
My my my Mr. Moderator! Apparently you haven't seen the memo, lol! brycemaclennan is correct, until he passes from Probationary status his image posting privileges, among others, are restricted. This is to protect our member's privacy from solicitors and spammers.

Disregard what I said. Steve is correct.

I got the memo. The memory is what slipped by me. :D

Wyoming
11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Anyone have knowledge (or better yet pictures) of strange applications for a grader. I found this one the other day in California. I can't say that I have seen a grader used for clearing tumble weeds!!:beatsme

I worked for our local county road and bridge department for seven years as a blade operator we pulled weeds on the back slope and shoulders of gravel roads every year as fire prevention. What a job we maintained county roads in the summer and plowed snow in the winter. Year around work is hard to find in this industry!

NL1CAT
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
This loader uses an attachment grader.
They constructed it themselves.
Kuypers Kessel in Holland.

Grader4me
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow! That is a weird looking beast. Take a few hours to get used to that.:)

Deas Plant
11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi, NL1CAT.
Thanks for sharing. Hmmmmmm??????????? Interesting. GPS or laser equipped too. Methinks the visibility would not be all that flash ahead and perhaps a little restricted to the blade as well but certainly a novel way to make a 4wd quick-hitch loader a little more versatile.

Do you have any more photos, please?

MKTEF
11-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Have to admit i didn't think of that setup as a grader...:)
But why construct it?

Here u go, its a bit more advanced!:D

There is as much as three different producers in Sweden that makes grader atachments like theese.;)
We had one for testing some years ago.
They are a attachment for the loaders, nothing more. Works for the not so advanced jobs.:)

Grader4me
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
So would these be used alot? Everything quick attach I suppose..so hooking and unhooking wouldn't be very time consuming or labour intensive. I've never seen anything like that before. Great stuff..thanks!

On edit..be nice to have a picture from inside the cab looking at the moldboard. Be interesting how much you could see.

MKTEF
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, the blade is pritty far in front of the wheels.
U can se it rather well, cutting edge is vissible all over.
Only obstratction is the loader arms and the two frame parts.

But it is difficult if u got a Z bar link on your loader...

Its three contactpoints, two bolts in the quick hitch by the axle, two hydraulic hoses and one elctric contact. Bolts on/off in minutes.

Not so many sold, this modell is the most advansed and rather expensive.
There has also been some conflicts around this models as one produser copied another...
The cheap and simple ones are sold in bigger numbers, mainly used for maintaining gravel roads.

sledhed
12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow, some really neat pics!

shredder
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I think this new grader system is going to be next up and coming system especially for farmers or contractors

Please view the website www.pthcrusher.com

If you require any information let me know

Northart
01-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Just to show something from a 1930, Caterpillar Model 30, Leaning Wheel Grader. And a later version,for the Motor grader.

shredder
01-05-2009, 02:21 PM
This is the Austrian built PTH speed grader

Grader4me
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Just to show something from a 1930, Caterpillar Model 30, Leaning Wheel Grader. And a later version,for the Motor grader.

That would be classed as modern technology way back then! Great pictures

willemdegrader
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
side board i use when grading with laser/gps

Taylortractornu
01-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Those grader attachments arent too far off from my skid steer grader I have. Its got 2 caster wheels and attaches to the quick plate. you can let the rippers down and use the loader to lwer them. I have used it like this occasionally around the farm, My honey moon ate up all my money to ubuy the conversion controls for it.

JonesBros
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM

We made one of them back shoot..10 years ago whenever anybody did any fine grading. You could always shoot your stone your holding to that side rather than piling it up on the edge of the shoulder. We just took an old 12F sidecutter and welded a plate to it. So far its been on 3 different graders which are the 12F, and 2 12G's which it doesn't fit 100% right but as soon as we wear out one of our sidecutters on our 12G's we're going to take the old one and weld a plate onto that one :cool2 But that pic does give me an idea to put a handle on ours and the next one :D

willemdegrader
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Chris thanx for the reply..got any pic's of that attachement?

JonesBros
05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Chris thanx for the reply..got any pic's of that attachement?

Not on me, but I can most certainly get you one! It ain't nothing pretty to look at but it gets the job done good! Everybody always looks at us crazy whenever we pull it out back of the service truck and bolt it up :cool:

JonesBros
05-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's the beauty. Snapped it right before it started raining with my phone, so the quality isn't the greatest.

Grader4me
05-05-2009, 06:37 PM
We use them on our graders for spreading asphalt. On the bottom of ours is an adjustable plate so they can match the moldboard blade. The reason for this is one day you might be grading a road (wearing the blade) and the next day leveling asphalt. This way you can adjust the side plate to match the blade. Works like a dream.

willemdegrader
05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
there are many requests for these "sideboards"...very strange the manufacturers of motorgraders don't make these attachements...

Hopuser
10-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi looking for an attachment called ice buster for breaking up snow and ice pack anyone see it or know where to get one or info
thanks Kris

Hopuser
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
http://http://www.t2.unr.edu/2007_Winter__2.pdf[/URL]
Here is an article that I found it would be great for winter here at the mine
Help from anyone who has used it and where I can get it.
thanks
Kris

Dwan Hall
10-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I understand they were made in western Canada,
Our local heavy equipment dealer said they had access to 2 used units last year. When I asked them to lok into them they dropped the ball as usual.

I have been looking for 1 to try for some time now (10 years) with no luck.

Grader4me
10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
http://http://www.t2.unr.edu/2007_Winter__2.pdf[/URL]
Here is an article that I found it would be great for winter here at the mine
Help from anyone who has used it and where I can get it.
thanks
Kris

Welcome to the forum Hopuser. Thanks for the link. I would be interested as well for anymore information on these.

Hopuser
10-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I found a couple of used ones in Edmonton, John Deere lists one in their catalog a company called CWS in Surrey used to carry one I have seen it mounted on the ripper and also where the scarfier is mounted, there used to be a video of it working but I lost it,
Look forward to any posts and replies
how do you post pictures?
Thanks
Kris

Partsdude
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Our local heavy equipment dealer said they had access to 2 used units last year. When I asked them to lok into them they dropped the ball as usual.

If they were indeed made in western Canada I may be able to source one for you.
I found the original makers of this unit, FMG International out of Chile(they have snow?? :beatsme ).

I have put out some inquiries to see if anyone has these new or used.

I found better pictures :

Partsdude
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Update : They were indeed made by CWS / IMAC but they no longer manufacture them.
Will keep on looking though. I am not out of options ... yet.

Motor Grader
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I've never seen this attachment but it looks cool. I see a cylinder. I assume this is a stabilizer cylinder but is it hydraulically controlled or just running to an accumulator? What are you wanting to put it on? I might be interested in building it.

Partsdude
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I am not sure what machine it is to go on, we will have to wait to see if Dwan Hall will see this and let us know what machine he has.

Originally Posted by Dwan Hall

Partsdude
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I've never seen this attachment but it looks cool. I see a cylinder. I assume this is a stabilizer cylinder but is it hydraulically controlled or just running to an accumulator? What are you wanting to put it on? I might be interested in building it.

It does look as though it would have to go to an accumulator. There is only 1 cylinder on the side so my guess is that it is just for allowing some movement over curbs and manhole covers etc...

Then again what do I know? I've never even sat my butt in a grader. :D

Hopuser
10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi
It would be great to be able to use it with a balderson so you could use it with multiple machines (grader,IT18, small loader,tool carrier,) Where I need it is bridge approaches and a large paved area ,I have a problem area where I have a low area that builds ice and I end up using an excavator to break it up, Its hard on the concrete and not cost effective! I have Volov l-50 with serrated edges on the snow plow attachment that we use to clear snow from the mine site but still the ice builds up because of the high traffic from the mine vehicles.
This would work well for the ore pad hill the mine haul trucks come out from underground with warm tire and pack the small hill to the ore pad we have to consatantly maintain it with rock ( we use 3 inch minus to sand with) it seems to hold up under the large trucks they haul 50 tons! Still we have to rough it up every hour in snowing condition.
Sorry got long winded
Kris

Dwan Hall
10-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I would mount it on My Grader in place of the scarfire which mounts behind the front wheels.

Grader4me
10-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Dwan, you did one hell of a nice looking job restoring your grader! :notworthy Now go and install an ice buster on her and make some $$$

Dwan Hall
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I had a ball with her 2 the last few days. Practiced with the blade turned backwards. Man what a difference been able to watch the cutting edge work. Still working on the coordination thing though. Lets see now the left still lifts the left and the circle still turns the right way but the side shift is backwards. now do I pull this lever to turn the rear wheels left or right, no I push it, oops that was the scar fire.
Just going to take time.
It does flat ground great and I can put a crown on a road but not sure about compound curves.
She made enough in the past 2 days to pay for her self. excluding the work I put into her. 2 more job before I put the ice blades back on her.

How do you train a property manager to accept the fact you can't grade 3" material to within 1"? And he won't let me bring in a compactor to finish the job. He just wants the park graded once a month and that is suppose to hold up. I guess I shouldn't complain it is 4 to 5 hours a month grading. I know I could cap the road with RAP and compact it but then only grade it once a year.

Hopuser
10-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I would mount it on the ripper we run a 14H and no scarfire on that one we also have a push block on the front to push trucks when they spin out on hills,

Grader4me
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I had a ball with her 2 the last few days. Practiced with the blade turned backwards. Man what a difference been able to watch the cutting edge work.
It does flat ground great and I can put a crown on a road but not sure about compound curves.
She made enough in the past 2 days to pay for her self. excluding the work I put into her. 2 more job before I put the ice blades back on her.

How do you train a property manager to accept the fact you can't grade 3" material to within 1"? And he won't let me bring in a compactor to finish the job. He just wants the park graded once a month and that is suppose to hold up. I guess I shouldn't complain it is 4 to 5 hours a month grading. I know I could cap the road with RAP and compact it but then only grade it once a year.

Well, if you can crown a road already then you're doing very well! So..if you've swung your blade around, you must have done the high lift thingy..how did that work for you? On your AW wouldn't that have to be done mechanically (no hydraulics)? We discussed that procedure a few years back when I first joined here I think.

What are you running for ice blades..maybe if I did a search you already answered this question...bare with me as I am older than dirt ya know (memory loss)

Finally..don't raise to much of a fuss about that guy wanting his park graded once a month...instead of making it less by what you described...let sleeping dogs lay...that adds up to more practice and more $$ :D

Super Roel
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Hello Willem ,

In Europe are two grader factories that made that side boards , O&K , and HBM .
The side boards from O&K are a little thikker than sigaret paper , but the one from HBM are very good , see the pictures , when u not used them u can store these blades on the backside of the front blade .

Super Roel
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Is it a grader a loader of a dozer , it is it all .

RANDY ROME
11-14-2009, 10:05 PM
a john deere grader 100% american god pictures

joeh1966
11-21-2009, 05:19 PM
great pictures & info

MKTEF
11-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks to be made after a military spec.
Nobody else would want so many not good systems, in one machine...
Not a good dozer, not a good grader, not a good excavator but a .......ehh.

Grader4me
11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
This machine would fit into the category of "jack of all trades, master of nothing" lol
It is definitely weird though...lol

JDOFMEMI
11-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Is it a grader a loader of a dozer , it is it all .

You just have to love the operator visibility on this thing.

As said, it's not going to be good at much but taking up space in the yard.

Hopuser
12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Just found a Ice buster in the John Deere Attachments Catalog will have to call on Monday. Anyone else find anything else I sure could use one riight now as the ice is building up.
Kris
My boss told me to find one I found a couple of used one but he doesn' want to buy one to modify. Wants to buy one ready to go. any one intrested in the used one let me know I will send you a link.

Hopuser
12-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Well I talked to the sales rep for the wester US and works for CWS that owns IMAC that built the ice busters I guess that they won't be making any more! So the only option is to find used ones and any parts???
I have a line on a few used ones so will see what happens sure could use one now.

Hopuser
12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Just a quick thought!
I wonder how many of them they would have to sell to start building them??? ( Ice busters) I wonder how much intrest there is.
If we could get a head count we could let them know there people that wanted them.

Motor Grader
12-14-2009, 02:12 PM
If you can sell them then Champion can build them!

Hopuser
12-14-2009, 06:25 PM
If you can sell them then Champion can build them!

Well ok how much? hard to sell something if you don't have a price! more information, weight, application, compatibility. If you are serious?

Kris

lpnt65
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Allis chalmers Dmodel grader with loader mounted on the rear end ,all the driver did was cut out windrow , reverse grader with bucket lowered to fill it then the truck driver reversed under neath loader presto grader stayed straight didnt have to turn simple

bigrus
12-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Allis chalmers Dmodel grader with loader mounted on the rear end ,all the driver did was cut out windrow , reverse grader with bucket lowered to fill it then the truck driver reversed under neath loader presto grader stayed straight didnt have to turn simple

Might that have been an Aussie type attachment :rolleyes: Some oddball things are built out of neccesity in this country ;)

MKTEF
12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Hopuser:
Is this the type of ice buster you want?
http://www.raikomachines.com/

Have seen it in use, and its impressive.

Hopuser
12-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Hopuser:
Is this the type of ice buster you want?
http://www.raikomachines.com/

Have seen it in use, and its impressive.

Thanks yes this what I am looking for! I will follow up as soon as I get back to work.
Thanks

Super Roel
12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Might that have been an Aussie type attachment :rolleyes: Some oddball things are built out of neccesity in this country ;)

I post a brochure from Rockland TL-D Loader , i dont now where its bin made , but its for the M65 Allis-Chalmers Motor Grader .

Deeretime
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
haven't seen a v plow and a wing on here yet

lpnt65
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
The d model i am Quoting belonged to a council in New zealand I think it was Papakura council South Auckland and they purchased it from Cable Price Corp (agents for Alliss Chalmers)as A optional xtra

windrow
12-21-2009, 04:31 AM
how much did they save on shipping?

andoman
12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
The cities seem to used to like these things because they could road them anywhere in town, to move on a truck they weighed in at just under 60,000lbs.

snapfruzen
01-10-2010, 03:41 AM
The 760 Champion with two snow wings is for plowing the inside shoulder of a divided highway

alan627b
04-29-2010, 11:53 PM
How's this for wierd? I meant to post these years ago and they got "lost" in the computer. Somehow I tripped over them again today....
They were labeled Champion packer.....if this ain't odd I don't know what is.
Engenuity in action?
Alan

plowking740
04-30-2010, 12:37 AM
kind of a beast, but it makes sense. dont think id want to run very long. got any more oddball machines like this?

Motor Grader
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Should get great traction!

245dlc
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Bobcat grader attachment:

http://www.usagnet.com/manufacturers/122/grader.jpg

And I've seen the city here using a couple of these one is on an old modified 740 looked like the shop built it and one was bought new. Kinda neat though.

245dlc
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
oops forgot the link or something went wrong here it is again.

http://www.ironwolf.com/profiler/

bigbob
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Bobcat grader attachment:

http://www.usagnet.com/manufacturers/122/grader.jpg

And I've seen the city here using a couple of these one is on an old modified 740 looked like the shop built it and one was bought new. Kinda neat though.

I have one of these mounted on a Cat 268B Highflow, use it to grade residential driveways. Works very well.

schuiver
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Creating a trench in asphalt with a laser grader.

Grader4me
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Well sir..look at that..slick working rig! Thanks for sharing!

schuiver
05-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Attachment for a free stringline for the concrete machine.

CM1995
05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Does a grader attachment on a weird piece of equipment count?:D

YouTube - Mecalac PTH Niveleuse Verhaeghe Products (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRGyWptunsI&feature=related)

Grader4me
05-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Lol..I would say that it fits in the "weird" category...

245dlc
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah no kidding that's a weird looking machine. Is that a rubber-tired excavator with articulated steering?

CM1995
05-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah no kidding that's a weird looking machine. Is that a rubber-tired excavator with articulated steering?

Yeah it's a Melcalac (http://www.mecalac.com/en/). Ausdave has a thread about a similar machine here (http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=237088#post237088)

If you go to Youtube there are a few videos of machines like this, it's interesting to watch.

flametamer
05-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Not really a weird application, unless you consider the need for the armored cab.

Dt

bigrus
05-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Not really a weird application, unless you consider the need for the armored cab.

Dt

You'd feel safer in one of those cabs than what I was told of protection in the early days, an open cab with offsider sitting next to you with an M16 :eek:

mwilliams
05-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Countryboy,
The joystick you posted is very interesting. I can't seem to find any info on it. Would you have a website or link for it?
My email is m.williams2080@sbcglobal.net Cell is 419 351 1397
Thanks for any help,

Mark Williams
AMW/AGPS

Motor Grader
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Does a grader attachment on a weird piece of equipment count?:D

YouTube - Mecalac PTH Niveleuse Verhaeghe Products (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRGyWptunsI&feature=related)

Often imitated...but never duplicated. Why is everyone trying to eliminate a dedicated motor grader?

ledsel
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Often imitated...but never duplicated. Why is everyone trying to eliminate a dedicated motor grader? I don't understand why anyone would pay big money for a piece of crap when you could buy a good used older grader for a few grand and it would do the job properly. No payments, so it could sit till you need it.:beatsme

MKTEF
08-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Have been looking for pics of this weird grader use for some time.
Found one today.:)
Theese where invented years before anyone heard about wirtgen;)

Some of theese had a 14L Scania V8 to drive the milling drum.
Grader is a Swedish Mattson, used because of the good clearanse under the frame.

Its for sale if anybody wants it...
Pics from retrade.no.