PDA

View Full Version : link belt 2650 problems(hydraulic?)

crawad
09-05-2010, 02:48 PM
i have a little prob with my link belt 2650......i shut it off for lunch break and when i restarted it spitted and sputtered and then stalled. couldn't get it to start back up so i cleaned the filtewr in the bottom of the fuel pump and tried again...it started but would not idle up. so i changed the other filtre and primed and had same prob. the machine was sitting slitly sloped to the right as you sit in the machine......... i brought the bucket around so that the machine was sitting facing downhill andn it idled up. i then took it downoff the hill very slowly because it would stall if i tried to do anything fast. when i got it down on level ground i still had same problem.........ANY IDEAS ANYONE????

sultan
09-05-2010, 03:23 PM
This probably won't help you much, but could there be a chance that you're just low on fuel? I've had a tractor do that because there was very little fuel left in the tank and it drew the fuel from one side of the tank but all the oil went to the other side of the tank because of the slope.

I can't think of any hydraulic issue that can cause this that is dependent on the slope of the machine, but maybe someone else knows better.

RonG
09-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I have repaired the computer on a 2650.I cannot remember what I had to do to it but basically it had to do with the solder traces on the circuit board cracking from vibration over time and the fix was to reflow solder at the openings in the circuit.
You will find it around components such as transistors,the larger ones with heat sinks are more susceptable to vibration..It is not really hi tech work,just be observant and careful that you don't overheat anything.
We had a 2800 that I had to repair the same way.Use rosin core solder.
The symptoms that you describe would have me looking in that direction.Ron G

crawad
09-05-2010, 04:27 PM
thnx for the replies but theres over half a tank of fuel and it almost seems like the machine has derated itself for some reason. although if it ha d done that it wouldn't bog down....that's the issue , that the machine bogs down to almost stalling itself when u try to use it...i will check the electrical though... any other ideas would be appreciated

John C.
09-05-2010, 04:59 PM
As I recall some of the older units had a glass sediment bowl by the tank. It was not uncommon when cleaning those that the O ring would drop out and the bowl would not seal.

The other issue is the sediment that builds up in the bottom of the tank. There is a sediment drain valve under the tank and if you haven't drained it regularly the sediment will plug off the suction bell.

If you have cleaned all those I would suggest you put some air pressure to the suction tubing at the fuel transfer pump and blow back through the system. Remember to take the cap off the tank.

Good Luck!

willie59
09-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I agree with John C, blow through supply line with compressed air and don't forget to drain the water/dregs from the bottom of the tank. Many folks overlook that little detail. :)

crawad
09-05-2010, 05:35 PM
thnx guys it does seem like a fuel prob, simply because when i cleaned the in line filter in the banjo bolt i could atleast start it. i'll try that 2morrow and post the results.

FreemanMachine
09-08-2010, 02:33 AM
My Buddy has a cat 320 and it will start and run fine for 12 hours but when its shut down when its warm their seems to be a loose fitting where the air gets into the fuel line after its expanded, you can turn it over for a few minutes and it wont start till it gets the prime back.
Goodluck!

heavylift
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
hoses can also break on the inside.... creating tiny flapper valves of sorts.... restricting flow...

I don't know if it has a screen on the pick up... but it could be gunked up...

crawad
09-14-2010, 05:21 AM
just an update guys, i figured this problem out. it was the shut off on the side of the fuel pump. there's an electrical thing attached to it and i guess that was acting up, i removed all the fuel lines and blew them out and still had the same issue so started playin' around with things and as soon as i put pressure on the shut off the machine picked up rpms, so i disconnected the cable to the shut off and problem solved. NOW TOO THE NEXT QUESTION, THE MACHINE SEEMS TO WORK FINE WITHOUT HAVING THIS EVEN CONNECTED. IS IT?

John C.
09-14-2010, 09:31 PM
As I recall there is an emergency shutoff cable in the cab behind the seat. It has a red T handle. What I've seen happen is a piece of clothing falls behind the seat and the operator hooks the handle at the end of the day and partially pulls it up. Maybe you have something connected to the seat and the handle?

Nice job with the troubleshooting and using your head and thanks for letting all know what you found!

RonG
09-15-2010, 05:42 AM
The 2800 had a T handle for the swing brake,I cannot remember if our 2650 had it or not.I seem to remember the handle but it was too long ago to remember what it was for.Maybe it was the pin to lock the house while moving.Ron G