PDA

View Full Version : Logging Equipment Pictures

Contract Logger
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
How about a thread for posting our logging equipment 'in action' pictures? New, old, or otherwise- lets show each other where we've been and what we were using. I'll start with some cable logging gear from the 1960's..........

Contract Logger
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM
here you go!

Contract Logger
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
for your viewing enjoyment...............

Contract Logger
01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Is currently rusting away in Skagway, Alaska.

Contract Logger
01-17-2010, 11:56 PM
More Skagit yarders in random order and location,

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 12:03 AM
old pics from days gone by.

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Here's a Madill 009 and Link-Belt 4300 working in the hills above Hoonah Sound in Alaska. View from the landing here isn't bad either!

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
The cruise ships sail by as the loggers get to it!

Lashlander
01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Nice pictures. Small world. I was just checking out that yarder in Hunzs yard in Skagway. Looks like shes been there a while. A guy working for me worked for Whitestone in Hoonah for over 20 years. I'll have to have him look at your pictures.

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 12:40 AM
From Sept 2009

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Nice pictures. Small world. I was just checking out that yarder in Hunzs yard in Skagway. Looks like shes been there a while. A guy working for me worked for Whitestone in Hoonah for over 20 years. I'll have to have him look at your pictures.

Sweet! he'll recognize the Hoonah ground forsure. I heard Cliff W was working out at Kensington last week. Good to see you here, and from here no less!

Lashlander
01-18-2010, 12:56 AM
I know Cliff. Whitestone was over logging on Afognak when they sold out to Evergreen. I didn't know there was much logging going on at Hoonah. Those cruise lines don't like that. LOL!

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 01:03 AM
I know Cliff. Whitestone was over logging on Afognak when they sold out to Evergreen. I didn't know there was much logging going on at Hoonah. Those cruise lines don't like that. LOL!

I know Cliff too- and both Eric and Brian from Evergreen. Might even know you, LOL. I love that the cruise ships hate the logging. And the loggers hate the cruise ships. Alaska politics. I like the loggers and the cruise ships, but the drama is fun to watch. We need both groups to survive.

JDOFMEMI
01-18-2010, 01:38 AM
That is some nice country to work in. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Looks like the logged areas provide some diversity in the habitat areas. That is usually a good thing, as it breaks up the areas so new plants and animals can take advantage. Like a fire does, but we get the use of the wood. A good trade.

Lashlander
01-18-2010, 01:41 AM
We closed down around 300 miles of Logging roads after Silver Bay pulled out of Afognak. A couple years later Whitestone came in and we did some barge work for them. They bought a bunch of used piling to use for culverts to open the roads back up. They like the piling because they're easier to remove without damaging them. We did a lot of work for Ben A Thomas too. Not many of the old outfits still around. I agree that the state needs both industries to survive.

Contract Logger
01-18-2010, 01:48 AM
We closed down around 300 miles of Logging roads after Silver Bay pulled out of Afognak. A couple years later Whitestone came in and we did some barge work for them. They bought a bunch of used piling to use for culverts to open the roads back up. They like the piling because their easier to remove without damaging them. We did a lot of work for Ben A Thomas too. Not many of the old outfits still around. I agree that the state needs both industries to survive.

You mention Silver Bay- **** and Betty Buhler are from the same town in Washington that I am (Longview)- I've known them for many years. I have hundreds and hundreds of Silver Bay pics, all on film unfortunaletly (35mm in those days). You wouldnt believe all the iron they have sitting down at Wrangell righ now. Must be 200 off-road log trucks- C500 KW's mostly, just rusting there with trees growing up around them. And Thomas was from Woodland, Wa, not far south of me. He logged alot on Mt St Helens until the big bang down there.
Good to chat with you, it is a small world.

RonG
01-18-2010, 03:06 AM
What a great topic and interesting pictures.My hat is off to anyone with the foresite to have taken pictures along the way through life and the ability to get them posted for all of us to share.The digital cameras these days make it pretty easy to document the day to day goings on but without them I am afraid that we wouldn't have nearly the pictures that we do today.
I still shoot film but I admit,it is a lot of work compared to todays offerings.
Thanks for sharing.Ron G

nedly05
01-18-2010, 05:47 AM
WOW, great pics contract logger. How do they turn trucks around on those landings? Talk about tight on space. Thats some steep ground for sure, now do the bosses really scream and yell at the guys in real life? Do the chasers hafta run like hell, or is that just for the added drama on ax men? Please post more pics!

JTL
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing! I cant seem to get enough of the big towers. Around where I live all we see are little swing yarders like a 98 Link Belt, or a GT3 Skagit. Either that or a yoder.
There is more tractor skidding than anything here.

JTL
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
A couple of my ole logger buddies sent me these wreck pics from jobs they have worked on.
The third pic is of my saw on a big cedar I cut on a road job up in Port Angeles we did 2 years ago.

JTL
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
About 4 years ago I had just came back to Idaho from California, needing some medicine, so I went to work for my best friend and his Grandpa, building some new logging road. I cut alot of the right-of-way, and ran dozer behind the pioneer hoe. I was able to get a few pics though.
The big Madill shovel on the lowboy was being moved into a different job, just down the road from where we were working.

JTL
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Me and the one man pipe crew, Johnny, went for a booze cruise one afternoon and found another logging site. Thats a 395 Valmet head on a 330B Cat. The other pic is a 528 Cat skidder. The must have been using is as a guy line stump for the yarder, which had just moved down the road. No pics of it cause my batteries died.

I have some more older pics, but I need to scan them first.

Contract Logger
01-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Sweet pics! This is wxactly what I was hoping for--- that people would start digging out thier pics to share. I love looking at any operation I havent looked at before!

Love the Madill- is it a 2800 or 3800?

JTL
01-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Sweet pics! This is wxactly what I was hoping for--- that people would start digging out thier pics to share. I love looking at any operation I havent looked at before!

Love the Madill- is it a 2800 or 3800?

:drinkup
I cant remember if it was a 28 or a 38. I'm gonna say it was a 2800. I know it was big from what I remember when we drove by it.

Contract Logger
01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Landing shots.

Wolf
01-21-2010, 03:28 AM
The third pic is of my saw on a big cedar I cut on a road job up in Port Angeles we did 2 years ago.

That's an awesome looking cedar you cut in Port Angeles, Jason. Can't get over the size of it. How old do you think that tree is? Whatdya do with all the lumber?

JTL
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
That's an awesome looking cedar you cut in Port Angeles, Jason. Can't get over the size of it. How old do you think that tree is? Whatdya do with all the lumber?

I lost count on the rings at around 70 to 80, and still had a foot of tree left. As far as the logs went, the road we built was on Green Crow's ground (a big timberland owner in those parts) so I just bucked the logs up and stuck them in a couple of decks along the R.O.W. They sent in a self loader and hauled them to the mill.

stormdodger
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
great pictures everyone:thumbsup

csquared
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
heres mine!
http://www.********.com/showthread.php?t=269952&page=2
proud 4th generation b.c. logger!

sluggo
01-30-2010, 08:35 PM
eeehhh... I think I recognize that green paint in the pix of the lowboy truck..(Jack Buell)

Tacodriver
01-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Here are some shots of my girlfriends brother in laws yarder. Thunderbird Tsy-50 working about 60kms east of Canal Flats Bc. Was quite the machine I had never seen anything like it working before, growing up in manitoba you don't see things like this.

The carriage think I figured out how it works quite the setup.

Glamore shot :) turned out ok I think.

Tacodriver
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Here are a couple more shot of the yarder and one of the backspar hoe. They added 10 tons of iron to the machine to keep the yarder from dragging it around. Contract logger thanks for all the pictures and information.

Contract Logger
01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Those are great pics! Only a few TSY50's were built, and I have never seen this machine before. The operaor's cab is much larger/different than the standard model, it must have been built/ordered specifically for this machine. I am guessing, but I suspect this may have been he last TSY50 built. Did he buy the machine new, in 1988 or 1989?
The TSY50 was the base model that developed into the TSY255, and I think only 10 or 11 were built. I thought I had seen all of them, but this one is new to me.

Thank you for sharing! Very cool indeed!

Tacodriver
02-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I think they bought it new but I will have to ask. He did say they are the only one operating a cable in the area, they do have a convtional side also.

Wolf
02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
great pictures. that is the real deal.

Drifter
02-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Couple from work.

Drifter
02-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I have a bunch more just need to find the cord for my camera.

JTL
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Buddy Matt and I went to Spokane yesterday so he could re-open his unemployment claim. On the way home, being the equipment nerds that we are we had to take a trip down equipment row on Trent. There isnt really alot of iron sitting at Western States or Modern Machinery, but we did find this little jewel at Western States.

Contract Logger
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
A high-and-wide EX150--what a neat little machine. Cat built some high/wide 315BL forest machines for a short while, but they never really took off.

Squirt boom is neat and rare as well. Looks like a baby Waratah head maybe???

Great find, never seen one like this.

JTL
02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I have seen a couple of those 315's with hi and wides doing silverculture work. Seemd like the right size to get around witout doing to much damage to the floor while piling brush.
We were thinking the head was a little Valmet, being the boom was a Valmet 989. We couldnt find any markings on it at all. It is small though. Look like it would only handle a 12 or 14" stem.

Contract Logger
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I suspect you are right about the head. Wish I knewmore about them..........
Great Pics!

PS- I saw the Cat 315 mini logger-roadbuilder (2 of them) at the Eugene Log show only one year, and havent been able to find one since. They were really cool, but expensive- nearly doule a standard 315BLC at the time.

JTL
02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
The ones I saw were working up around Colville, WA on some Vaugen Brothers Lumber ground, building fire lines and piling brush and the likes.
I know what you mean about double the price of a standard hoe. Kinda like this 330 that was at Eugene last year.
And this was a "special" price!

Iron Art
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Heres a picture taken out from Juneau, down on Icy Strait I believe. Thought maybe Contract could shed a little light on it. Really enjoy all the pictures, I could build models for years from these threds. Fred

Contract Logger
02-09-2010, 01:47 AM
OK, Here it is, sorry for the delay. I spent the day in Ketchikan, saw this pic around noon. I have never seen this machine before, but have heard stories, and called a couple of people I know to look at it also. They all recognized it immediately. This machine and its twin (yes, there were 2 I am told) are Liebherr front shovels that were purchased by Boyer Barge Service of Seattle and converted to log loaders. The fellows I spoke with think that Pierce Pacific of Portland made the conversion. Apparently Boyer would run around picking log bundles out of the water and put them on the barge for transport to here or there. The 3 piece boom would get the grapple clear into the water. The barge was long, and the shovel would travel the lenth of it decking wood.

I wonder where these machines are today? Boyer sold out to Northland Services some years ago, and I am pretty familiar with thier operation today- I have never seen these. I'll ask some Boyer managers I know if they know anything of them........ and get back to you on this. Have you got anymore pics?? This thing is awasome!

Contract Logger
02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Along the lines of the above story:

This wreck lies on Alaska's 'Lost Coast'- a 300+/- mile long stretch of coastline with basically nothing and no access. It runs north from Yakutat to Cordova, with nothing but Moose and Brown Bear roaming around-- no people, towns, or roads. There are several old military installations, some abandoned mines and exploratory oil-well drill sites (some old equipment parked around out there too), but basically nothing. In the summer some Natives from Yakutat fly-in and set up fish camps out there. Anyway, this broke loose from its towboat and washed ashore- and is still there. I spotted it moose hunting and have been back sevral times to the site- and come home with meat no lees!!

Lashlander
02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Funny, I was going to ask you if you knew anything about this wreck. I never heard anything about it until a few years ago there was a picture in Alaska Magazine. Hard to imagine the money lost here.
I was in Port Graham once and watched the Seaspan Rigger load logs. Wow, get out of the way. They can move the timber. A couple years later I saw where they rolled one over unloading it.
I had a few pictures on here a while back loading the aft hold of a log ship after they dropped the boom overboard but they got deleted. I've really enjoyed all your pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Iron Art
02-09-2010, 12:21 PM
I did have one other pic of that log loader picking about a truck load of bundled logs out of the water. Will look around to find it. Did you ever fish for Halibut off Cube Cove? Fred

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Is currently rusting away in Skagway, Alaska.

Wow Talk about a blast from the past !!!!

I actually worked under this yarder in skagway back in 1997 on the Goat lake hydro electric project.

I was watching the show "axe men" on the history channel and decided to google Skagit BU98 which brought me to this site.

who Knew i would Find Photos of the same yarder that i worked under 13 years ago.

just out of curiosity sake, do you Know How old these Photos are.

to be perfectly honest it looks to be in pretty close to the same condition that i last saw it. maybe a bit more rust than i remember.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 12:57 AM
These photos are a year old. Dont worry though- I was by there 3 weeks ago and nothing has changed at all. Dave Hunz has the machine at his place and I suspect you could own it for $ 3,500.00 bucks. He says it got left there and he wants it gone. Cost $15,000.00 or so to get it to Seattle, and the what? There are several down there you could buy for much less.........

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm not at all interested in buying it. I just thought it was cool that i was thinking about it while watching "axe men" (which i think is far too much drama and not enough logging) so i decided to google Skagit BU98 only to find pictures of the very same yarder i used to work under rusting away up in Skagway. gotta love the internet !!!

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Says 'Priest Logging, Port Angeles Washington' on the cab, even a phone number on there yet. Pretty rusty though. Think of all the air valves, lines, and switches just sitting there in the salt air all these years. Not good for any piece to sit like that, but is especially deadly for a yarder. Thanks for looking- better yet, got any pics of here standing up? That would be great to see!

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
I will do some digging in my old photo albums. i might have a few of it and the tower we used on the uphill side. i will have to scan them into my laptop as they were taken before the days of digital cameras.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 01:24 AM
What was the second yarder?? Be great if you could scan em!

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 01:39 AM
There was no second yarder. only a 100' spar to keep the skyline high enough off the ground. we used the whole system to log the trees off the right of way then used it as a slackline crane to set the pipeline in their saddles. it might take me some time to get the photos on to my laptop (I've never done it before) but i do have a printer with scanning capability so it should be a good learning experience. besides it would be cool to have the photos digitized. i will do what i can but it will have to wait until at least tomorrow.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Understood- I've never done it either. Here are a few more pics of your yarder to get you through the night, LOL.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 01:52 AM
With all the lines and rigging, this old girl weighs around 265,000 lbs sitting here. Good for scrap value, BAD for crossing bridges!

Lashlander
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I second the motion for pictures of it in action. Pretty wild where they took that pipe. Be great to see a few pictures of the project.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm scanning the photos that i have of the project right now. sorry to say that i don't have any of the BU98 , but i have some pretty neat pics of the upper tower and some good shots of from the helicopter. i will upload them when i'm finished scanning.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweet! maaybe when you get done you can learn me on the process of scanning the pics. What do you use for a scanner if you dont mind me asking?

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm using an Hp Photosmart C6150 all in one printer+fax+scanner+copier
actually alot easier than i thought it might be
I'm scanning them to a usb flash drive then transfering to my laptop

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm using an Hp Photosmart C6150 all in one printer+fax+scanner+copier
actually alot easier than i thought it might be
I'm scanning them to a usb flash drive then transfering to my laptop

Here are a few photos, More to come.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 03:26 PM
That last photo was the first heavy lift to be done by Erickson Air-crane. It is a pipestand that one of the welders and I built together, I was the welders helper and backhoe operator on that particular project. we designed it so that the train that runs up White Pass could pass under it. that way it could continue to run even if our cables were slacked against the hillside. the pipe would hold the cables high enough off the ground in order for the train to pass underneath them. after coming off the barge the big Sikorsky picked it up from the yard right next to the bridge heading out of town, and flew it up to the jobsite near Pitchfork falls.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
These are incredible pictures. That 100' tower is a Berger brand unit, cam off a Berger yarder, built in Seattle (see my Berger thread for pics of these towers hooked to yarders). They must have flown that Berger up there? It has 6 guylines on it with the hyd motors and drums mounted right on the lower tube base, and free-stands on the ground. What was the name I see painted on the Berger tube?
Also- great job on the scanning- these pics are terrific for sure!

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Some more heli shots. the little one was our company's own Bell 500. not a bad way to get to work each day. the last shot is of Skagway From the heli flying home.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Your right It is a Berger. we flew it up in three pieces. The writing on it is Whitewater (company name) the funny thing is they painted it on the wrong side. lol it was intended to be seen by all the tourists from the road leading into Canada. funny story about that Berger, back here in Bellingham before it was shipped north the bottom section of the tube was all beat up from years of rigging banging into it so i had to crawl inside it with a sledge hammer and beat on it while a guy on the outside would heat it up with a rosebud torch. this was in the dead of winter and it was cold as hell outside, i went in wearing full winter gear. and i came out wearing only my pants, gloves, and work boots. also had to blow fresh air in so that i could breathe because all the grease that was smeared inside would cause so much smoke while it was being heated.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 04:15 PM
These are awsome pics! Great shot of Skagway. It looks as if the Sikorsky came up on the AML barge? Why not fly it up? Columbia works up here all the time, never seen them barge one in. What year was all this work done? Aagin, awsome shots, and they dont even look scanned! Great work on this.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
This was in 1997

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
What a story! My hat is off to you for sure! There are some great people with crazy stories who post here. On another note, for those who have never been there, Skagway is a miserable, cold, windy place on this earth, and anyone who works a job like this in a place like that has earned everyone's respect. Again, hats off!

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
More shots from the Heli

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
That whole mountain is buried under feet of snow right now no doubt.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
We had three Hoes that were flown up in pieces, a Jd 490, Hitachi 300,and a cat 235 High cab log loader. The 235 was Broke down into 7 pieces. everything had to weigh less than 17,000 lbs. we mounted a rock drill on the end of the 235 so that it could drill out into the shore of the lake.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
The first one was an old dinosaur that drilled about 5 holes before it blew the engine. the little one is an Ingersol Rand LM100 air-track. That little Guy saved our Bacon After the old Dinosaur Puked, because it was all we had until we could get the Newer Ingy Rand that was Pictured next to the Berger. We made alot of holes with That little LM100, but what a pain in the Butt, couldn't drill more than About 2 Holes before you had to reset the whole machine.:Banghead But at least it kept us Busy.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
CMI in Juneau has 4 IR LM100's in the rental fleet today- they use them all over Southeast in remote locations- they are great because Temsco Helicopters (Ktn, Juneau, and Skagway operations) can fly them anywhere under a 214. Perfect for this type of work.

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
These are some pics of the trench we had to blast in order to place the pipe for the Intake below Shore level. then we built a dam to hold back the water after the last bit of land was blasted out.

Contract Logger
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Awesome. We kinda hijacked the logging thread, shoud start a new one titled 'Alaska Projects' or something. These are great pics!

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
That's me on the finished dam. the last picture is just a cool picture of the lake standing on the shore.that would make a cool postcard, the reflection in the water looks clearer than the sky. it took us several passes over that trench with the LM100 to get it down to the depth we needed. and the rock was so broke up that we would have to load the holes right after drilling them, because if we waited until we were all done drilling they would all be sluffed in. we would get about two holes distance away from the drill then load it. needless to say it was a little bit sketchy drilling so close to a live hole. it took us a few days to drill the pattern as well and since you can't leave a live pattern unattended, i stayed all night on the jobsite to keep an eye on it. kinda weird being out there all by yourself so far from civilization. i spent most of the night in the cab of the Hitachi just in case any bears came sniffing around. and at least it had a radio in it, i was able to pick up an am talk radio station. i got plenty of overtime during that pay period. :D

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
This is the guy that taught me how to drill rock. and thanks to him I have all of these Photos as it was his camera that took all of these pictures. I wish that i had doubles of his entire collection (he carried his camera everywhere). these are just a handful that he gave to me,for which i am extremely thankful.

jamesr962
02-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Great pictures.

---
Get your heavy equipment at municibid.com
http://www.municibid.com

ben2helinback
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Sorry.... i didn't mean to hijack this thread. Most all of these photos were taken above the Berger Tower where the hillside was not too steep for the hoes to get around. It was the rock drillers camera that took all of these pics. As for the logging side of the operation i wish i had some photos of that. (i didn't carry a camera):Pointhead
But i was one of the first guys on the hillside. Me and the cutter spent a few days falling all the trees along the right of way. He carried the saw and did all the felling, while i carried everything else, the gas, bar oil, axe, wedge, lunch, spare chain, and files. all this in snow up to my waist in spots. I wore an orange vest so the surveyors could spot me through the transit nearly a mile away. then they would tell me when i was on center-line so that we could look around to figure out which trees needed to come down. I stayed pretty close to him after he pointed out all the trees that were marked up by the bears just coming out hibernation. (he was carrying the saw that was theoretically going to scare one off) this was all before our helicopter arrived on the job, and we were at least a half days hike away from any sort of help.

After the Berger tower and the Skagit BU98 was in place i got to work with the logging crew setting chokers. this to me was alot of fun. We worked from top to bottom so the treading was easy and by this time all the snow was gone. I'm not sure exactly how much line we had but there must have been over 2 miles of haulback line on order to make it all the way up to the Berger and Back down to the Landing at full Slack. (the landing was down by the river and the BU98 was placed in one of the turnouts along the Highway) in fact a few of the guy wires were anchored to the hillside on the opposite side of the road.

After all the trees were gone i mostly worked on the drilling and Blasting Crew (now Talk About Fun!!!) I found no greater pleasure than to spend a week to drill a pattern, A day to load the holes, And Seven seconds to blow it to Kingdom Come !!!:cool:

All in all the job was a once in a lifetime experience that i will never forget.
Thanks for letting me share !!! You Have Brought back Some wonderful memories !!! :notworthy

Lashlander
02-16-2010, 02:38 AM
Those pictures are fantastic. I did a job in Skagway last fall. Went over to Whitehorse and saw the pipe coming down off the mountain. I had to pull over and check it out. Took me a while to figure out what it was for. I was probably pulled over where the yarder was sitting. That whole area fascinates me what with the Railroad built in 1898 then the Klondike highway in 1975. Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Makes me wish I would have taken more pictures of projects I've done through the years. Thanks again.

RonG
02-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Great story line and great pics.This stuff never gets old or boring to me.Thanks for sharing.Ron G

Iron Art
02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Ben2helinback, Neat bunch of pictures, and quite a project, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it. I guess I got it bad. We need to start a thread on Helicopter logging and other helicopter applications. I got some pictures of the Sky cranes doing a logging job here in Washington just need to scan them . Thanks, Fred

JDOFMEMI
02-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Contract Logger

I thought of you when I seen this page:
http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/search_results.cfm?maker_id=94

I remember one of your posts inquiring about models and thought of it when I seen the Hayes HD400 log truck and dump truck listed.

Contract Logger
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
When I was a kid I liked the AMT plastic kits in 1/25 scale. It got carried away until in the 70's and 80's I was scratch building yarders and shovels and everything in between- all in 1/25 scale plastic. Anyway fast forward now I have enough to run about 18 little tiny sides, all told I suppose.
Dad worked for Weyerhaeuser so that was a popular subject for my models. Here are a few pics from those days. Still have all this stuff.

Contract Logger
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Couple more. Built a bunch of yarders, dont have any good pics of them here.

JDOFMEMI
02-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Thats quite the spread there. I am officially impressed. I see a lot of time spent on custom work in these pictures.

Feel free to share more. Maybe a new thread in the models and miniatures forum?

I have a few forestry versions, but mostly dirt and mining gear in 1:50 scale

Iron Art
02-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow!! nice bunch of models, I thought for a moment that I was visiting Camp Baker and the So Toutle . Nice collection. Fred

Contract Logger
02-19-2010, 11:56 PM
LOL, Thanks guys. My mother was much less impressed then, and my old woman now is still not impressed. My current collection includes some 350 of these pieces, plastic and diecast, but mostly 1/25. Wish I had more pics. We have lots that arent pictured here. The toys are in Washington, I am in Alaska.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Few more pics for you guys.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Heck, we have sort yard bunks, trailer loaders, wrapper racks, just about everything a logger would need to get after it. Lot of hours spent on that stuff, but not lately, LOL.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Well I hijacked the thread for a minute, so here are some pics of the real thing to make up for it- so Steve doesnt throw us off the site. Maybe on my next trip down home I'll take pics of all the models. For now, back to logging equipment pics.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:31 AM
There were over 150 off-road log trucks parked at Wrangell, Alaska in 2006, so I took about 600 pictures. This is all left over from the Silver Bay operation. I should start an 'Alaskan and Abandoned' thread to post all those in. I'll put that on my to-do list.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Most of these trucks were ex-Weyerhauser. In the mid-80's Weyco shut their logging camps down and moved everything to Maytown to be sold off. Most of it came to Alaska, and is still here in the bushes rusting away. Bunks are only 10' wide on these rigs, not like BC where they go 14' to 16' wide.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Abandoned logging gear in Alaska........Continued.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 12:49 AM
More.

Contract Logger
02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Alaska.

RonG
02-20-2010, 03:17 AM
That really tugs at the heartstrings to see that equipment rusting away when it was so majestic in its day and it does not seem that many years ago to me.
I have a lot of miles in those DM 800 Macks.Thanks again for posting them.Ron G

expatracer
02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
contract logger if you ever want to run tours up there of all this abandon gear and sites ,sign me up that would be a great holiday.

WColtharp
02-20-2010, 11:16 AM
contract logger if you ever want to run tours up there of all this abandon gear and sites ,sign me up that would be a great holiday.

What he said!!

euc85
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Nice pics. I have done some logging nothing like that though mostly just saw work and track loaders

JTL
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I was bored outta my mind last Saturday, so I grabbed a box of 'soda', and my camera and went out looking for some logging jobs. There isnt much going on around here, kinda like everywhere else, but its down to nothing now because of spring break-up and load limits being on all the roads. The State, Forest Circus, and the mills have even closed all the gates on their roads so they dont get tore up. What a crazy winter this has been here in North Idaho. No snow and above average temps!
Anyway heres a few of a local contractors machines that they walked down the hill 4 miles, just to park them next to a county road that they cant haul on because of load limits.:beatsme

JTL
02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Now this picture was sent to me by a friend of mine that lives in Coos Bay, Oregon. Its kinda crappy because it came on the cell phone, but I think that it shows what a bad day they had!

JDOFMEMI
02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
That will ruin your day!

Any story to go with it?

JTL
02-25-2010, 10:42 AM
That will ruin your day!

Any story to go with it?

I texted him back and asked what happend. He just said the tube fell over. DUH! I tried calling him last night but he never answerd. Sorry guys, thats all I know.

Drifter
02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Now this picture was sent to me by a friend of mine that lives in Coos Bay, Oregon. Its kinda crappy because it came on the cell phone, but I think that it shows what a bad day they had!

That would suck hopefully the teleboom isnt bent.

Contract Logger
02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Looks like a TMY-70 Tube. Who's machine was it? If Myrmo & Sons is still going down there they should be able to fix any damage to the yarder/tower/base and mounts.

Hotwheels81
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
heres a couple to keep the thread alive

our old tree farmer... still in use :eek:

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/Cancar.jpg

668 line skidder, used it the last 2 months on some bug attack near vernon...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/DSCN0398.jpg

:drinkup

580bruce
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks Hotwheels-Love the Garrett Treefarmers.Not much use for me,but have always wanter a 15!

SPMiller
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
More.

If I was going up to Alaska, any chance I could see some of this equipment

SPMiller
03-19-2010, 02:47 PM
More Pictures!

Contract Logger
03-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Hurn Shingle and Hoh river, --for Humptulips--!

Oh, I have thousands of these.

Contract Logger
03-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Humptulips, round 2.

Contract Logger
03-19-2010, 11:57 PM
More. From the Harbor.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Quinalt country.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Mayr Brothers, yarding with a Washinton 208 (I owned this yarder once) and loading with a Prentice 810. Pics taken at Donkey Creek, 1991-ish? Took me a bit to find these for you Humptulips!

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Modern Grays Harbor Pics, 20 years after Mayr Bros..........

Now names like Rabey, Swanson, and Dahlgren dominate the landscapes.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Modern Logging.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Olympic Peninsula loads from yesteryear. Big timber that was.............

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Old Postcard Loads.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Alaskan 80's.

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Alaska 1990's.

Firewood79
03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/firewood79/028.jpghttp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/firewood79/SSPX0031.jpghttp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/firewood79/1219081146.jpghttp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/firewood79/013.jpghttp://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/firewood79/Yarder2.jpg

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Great looking TMY50! And you got one of Madill's 1238B's (its a 290 Hyundai) I see. Where in Oregon are you? Trying to figure out whose gear this is. Also- We have a Thunderbird yarder thread going too- take a few pics of that yarder and post em' over there if you have time, helps keep the thred alive. Nice, nice wood too by the way.

These really are great pics! Thank you for posting them.

Firewood79
03-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Our company is called Ridgeway Logging and we are based out of Sweet Home, OR, but have been logging on the Warm Springs Indian Res the last couple of years.

Lashlander
03-20-2010, 03:09 PM
What a goldmine of terrific pictures.Wow!

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Our company is called Ridgeway Logging and we are based out of Sweet Home, OR, but have been logging on the Warm Springs Indian Res the last couple of years.

Right on! Nice country over there. They used to have 2 Madill 3800 log loaders there in the yard at Warm Springs. Are they still there? I actually sold them the newer one of the pair, not sure where the older one came from. That was in about 2003 I guess. I think the yard foremans name was Dan.....

Contract Logger
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Prentice 810, the largest in thier loader lineup. Scanned from a brochure, 1983.

Contract Logger
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Here are a few Link-Belt logging machines. 1st pic was taken in 1980 and is a brand-new LS5800TL Log Loader

Contract Logger
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
A few pics from the early 1970's featuring Koehring log loaders at Forks Washington. Machines belonged to Olympic Timber, and Olympic Ariel- a balloon logging contractor.

Humptulips
03-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Here's a few pictures from the West Fork of the Humptulips NorthWest Log contracting for Mayr Bros.
1st photo a big spruce I'm the guy on the left, second the second cut of the same tree, third photo is loading a spruce with the yarder a Washington 127 and I think an American shovel and fourth a load parked at the old site of Anderson Middletons camp.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/humptulips/bigspruce.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/humptulips/timberturtle.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/humptulips/jimcrowload1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/humptulips/logging.jpg

atgreene
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Great pics! Great thread. My logging operation is a tad smaller, nothing compared to these. Thanks for sharing the pics and info!

trakloader
03-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Cypress 7280 grapple yarder was being moved yesterday, managed to snap a picture.

Autocar
03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Great pictures sure is interesting to see all the different equipment that is used around North America.

Bumpsteer
03-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Great pictures sure is interesting to see all the different equipment that is used around North America.

You got that right!
A big thank you to all who contribute to these logging threads.

Ed

2stickbill
03-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Here is a small operation in Texas

Murk100
03-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Great collection Contract Logger pics 84-90:thumbsup here's mine a little help from Tonka but the rest from scratch, yellow & red cedar, spruce and teak from the core of a line spool.
Gotta have hobbies over the winter layoffs

Murk100
03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
A few more

Murk100
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I have built 4, about 40 hrs.into each

JeremyM70
04-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Some cool wood models from the JM Browning office.

NZ BUSH DR
09-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Sure are some talented people around. Few pics of gear on the job.

NZ BUSH DR
09-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Pics from last post

NZ BUSH DR
09-12-2010, 08:11 AM
All good for this time.:Banghead

HCF
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Is the madill Hyundai relationship like the Thunderbird hyundai relationship? Where they would buy the carriers and retro fit them for forestry use?

Jdigger4130
01-22-2011, 12:49 AM
I HAVE ACTUAL SIZED REAL U S currency for A TOWER!!!! justinnunneley@gmail.com. I will pay then you send or love to swaap pics of my 25th scale loggin show

hoechucker
03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
hey C.L. i've seen a yarder just like the one in picture #6 with the square tube.it's in fortuna ca. was that a very common machine?

hoechucker
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
hey there lash i know this is a old post but i was logging on afognak just before whitestone sold out.probably worked together.

Lashlander
04-01-2011, 02:38 AM
OK, Here it is, sorry for the delay. I spent the day in Ketchikan, saw this pic around noon. I have never seen this machine before, but have heard stories, and called a couple of people I know to look at it also. They all recognized it immediately. This machine and its twin (yes, there were 2 I am told) are Liebherr front shovels that were purchased by Boyer Barge Service of Seattle and converted to log loaders. The fellows I spoke with think that Pierce Pacific of Portland made the conversion. Apparently Boyer would run around picking log bundles out of the water and put them on the barge for transport to here or there. The 3 piece boom would get the grapple clear into the water. The barge was long, and the shovel would travel the lenth of it decking wood.

I wonder where these machines are today? Boyer sold out to Northland Services some years ago, and I am pretty familiar with thier operation today- I have never seen these. I'll ask some Boyer managers I know if they know anything of them........ and get back to you on this. Have you got anymore pics?? This thing is awasome!

I some how missed this post. I've been down in Seattle setting up another barge for a job we have in Old Harbor and ran across this machine on one of Boyers Barges in their yard. I believe they were getting ready to rebush the grapples. This thing is a beast. Boyer never sold out to Northland Services.. We use them and their Barges all the time. As I type this we have 5 of their Barges and 4 of their Tugs on charter.

hey there lash i know this is a old post but i was logging on afognak just before whitestone sold out.probably worked together.

I hadn't been on Afognak for quite a while when they sold out. Did you know Dave Wright? I think he was there then.

hoechucker
04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
not sure,if he worked in the sort yard i probably didn't know him.i roomed with Rocky.i left that year in june i think.

hoechucker
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
i've seen that shovel or it's twin when we were moving alaska pacific out of yakutat in 04 or 05 i think.very cool to climb around on made the 370 link-belt look like a mini ex.

log frog
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM
My friend in the BC interior finally got to operate his 1st Cat. After years driving Deere, he says he can't believe the difference, and is keen to turn the whole fleet yellow.

sliperytimberja
01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
yes i think you will find it is a valmet 965 head

I have seen a couple of those 315's with hi and wides doing silverculture work. Seemd like the right size to get around witout doing to much damage to the floor while piling brush.
We were thinking the head was a little Valmet, being the boom was a Valmet 989. We couldnt find any markings on it at all. It is small though. Look like it would only handle a 12 or 14" stem.

SPMiller
03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
My friend in the BC interior finally got to operate his 1st Cat. After years driving Deere, he says he can't believe the difference, and is keen to turn the whole fleet yellow.

Taken today

Deere 1050

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429656_10150618288881903_511411902_9539399_1786803 456_n.jpg

he's stuck

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/418061_10150618288291903_511411902_9539396_7646173 _n.jpg

jamesn
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
how old are those yarders?? are they difficult to operate?

csquared
03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Taken today

Deere 1050

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429656_10150618288881903_511411902_9539399_1786803 456_n.jpg

he's stuck

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/418061_10150618288291903_511411902_9539396_7646173 _n.jpg

For once id take a cat over a deere log frog... 950 and 1050's are a pretty weak comparison to a 7 or an 8. 850's are a nice snowplowing dozer tho ha ha.

log frog
03-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I was really just pulling my friends chain! If he cut himself he would bleed green. He comes down to NZ for a couple of months a year and we put him to work in a Cat. He sent me a picture of their new Cat, and I just couldn't help myself.

SPMiller
03-16-2012, 02:02 AM
I was really just pulling my friends chain! If he cut himself he would bleed green. He comes down to NZ for a couple of months a year and we put him to work in a Cat. He sent me a picture of their new Cat, and I just couldn't help myself.

Is there still work down in NZ for a skilled operator? Say if he wanted to go down there when it's slow up here and vice versa.

SPMiller
03-16-2012, 02:07 AM
For once id take a cat over a deere log frog... 950 and 1050's are a pretty weak comparison to a 7 or an 8. 850's are a nice snowplowing dozer tho ha ha.

1050's not a bad dozer I suppose and everyone claims they're great, but I've run 8 R,N's and T's they work harder.., 850's seems just as good to me as it's Cat's competition. The big deere's just suck because they're liebherrs

1bad55chev
08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
The ones I saw were working up around Colville, WA on some Vaugen Brothers Lumber ground, building fire lines and piling brush and the likes.
I know what you mean about double the price of a standard hoe. Kinda like this 330 that was at Eugene last year.
And this was a "special" price!
The company I was working for the last 10 years bought this very machine in 2010. I put about 1000hrs on it. He paid about $50,000 less than that because
the dealer really wanted to move it. Sweet machine, we set it up with a Jewell powerclam and it weighed about 107,000lbs.105495

oregon96pd
08-08-2013, 01:03 AM
^^ That's just plain sexy. Those buckets are great, are you putting in fish logs there?

glenlunberg
09-18-2013, 09:34 PM
The company I was working for the last 10 years bought this very machine in 2010. I put about 1000hrs on it. He paid about $50,000 less than that because
the dealer really wanted to move it. Sweet machine, we set it up with a Jewell powerclam and it weighed about 107,000lbs.105495

Nice machine. It looks sexy. And it looks like this machine done lots of good work.:D

loggers son
12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Stuff from this year

890-3

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/P2130009_zps4cfac6df.jpg

430 with 22 inch waratah (engine dropped a valve about an hour after this photo)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/P2130011_zpsfdcbd504.jpg

loggers son
12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
more

450 approx 600 hrs old

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/IMG_0877_zps4fb60805.jpg

has 24 inch waratah

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/truckerdj/IMG_0874_zps5ae580c7.jpg

hootowl
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Out of my back yard...

http://www.getdieselpower.com/misc/Sharon/Yard_Work/trees/clear5.jpg