PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new old International TD8

Alaska Dan
11-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I posted a few questions here when I started looking at dozers a couple months ago. I was looking at a Kamatsu at the time. Then I looked at an older JD 450 and a newer D3C. I didnt like the JD and the Cat was in good condition but had 6500 hours and offered by a rental company. Then a mechanic friend told me about a one-owner 1980 International TD8 with only 1,348 hours. I was sceptical, but Carl has known the owner for years and vouched for his integrity and said he maintains his equipment very well. The owner was forced to sell for health reasons and was asking 20K.

I've spent dozens of hours looking at internet dozer ads. I've never seen one like this. When I received word my application to refinance my home was approved I put down a deposit agreement for 19K. Several other parties were interested and were also trying to raise the money. Here is the ad..

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/131_Mining/55356_TD8_International_Cat.htmle

It will be a couple weeks before I close on my loan and can pick it up. But needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. I was told it is turbo charged and has about 80 hp. I think it weighs around 17,000 lbs. If this is correct it should push as well or better than a D3?

I'd welcome any comments or suggestions about this dozer. I read the thread on Internationals/Dressers and like what I read about their simplicity and how easy they are to work on.

Thanks

Dan

zbo2
11-14-2009, 01:46 AM
nice.......it sure looks like it was taken care of. if that's the original paint......it was. not up on the 8's so i don't know about the deal.....but it sounds good to me.

JoeinTX
11-14-2009, 01:48 AM
The IH/Dresser TD-7s and -8s were sound little units. Well built, tough, good motors. Of their contemporaries......B/C series JD 450/550, D-3B, 450& 550 B/C, D-31....they'd be my pick for same or near money.

But, even with that low houred of a machine, that seems a stretch high for a 20 year old TD-8.

$15K, errr, okay I'm considering it. That's with an oil check and having a trusted wrench-turner give it a once over.

Good machine, no doubt, but I am generally leary of the "selling due to health" ads. Maybe so, maybe not. I worry about the seller's motive and whether or not they are being completely honest.

Hate to say but in this day's world...........you never know.

Alaska Dan
11-14-2009, 03:23 AM
The IH/Dresser TD-7s and -8s were sound little units. Well built, tough, good motors. Of their contemporaries......B/C series JD 450/550, D-3B, 450& 550 B/C, D-31....they'd be my pick for same or near money.

But, even with that low houred of a machine, that seems a stretch high for a 20 year old TD-8.

$15K, errr, okay I'm considering it. That's with an oil check and having a trusted wrench-turner give it a once over.

Good machine, no doubt, but I am generally leary of the "selling due to health" ads. Maybe so, maybe not. I worry about the seller's motive and whether or not they are being completely honest.

Hate to say but in this day's world...........you never know.

Maybe if you saw him sitting in his recliner with an oxygen mask and tank as I did you'd be less cynical. As far as the price I would have gladly paid his asking price if I had to. Condition and hours outweigh the year.

hardtail
11-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Guys seem to love those TD7/8's maybe the most successful portion of their market? That does look exceptionally clean, if your in Alaska that maybe a higher market, sometimes spending a few more $$$'s for something you know the history and care of is money well spent.

That have the DT239 in it??????

John C.
11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I could not open the link to view the dozer so don't know what you are looking at.

I would have to think the machine has to be something special to be worth that kind of money. One does have to remember though that things are more expensive in Alaska because of shipping. You might find something similar in Seattle for half that money but you are going to pay $3,500 to $5,000 to get it north. Lock on more dollars if you have to barge the machine to a remote site.

Which letter designation is it. An H model I think was the latest. G models go back a long way. Which engine does it have in it. Cummins 6 BT were retrofit in the newer G models while the Cummins was stock in the H models.

The H models had lots of troubles with bottom roller and idler seals. There is also an update for the mufflers that involved modifying the hood.

Good Luck!

zbo2
11-14-2009, 01:47 PM
here is the pic....i hope :)

RonG
11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
They were a well built dozer but not one of my favorite IHs.I considered them to be too light and also top heavy.They were not a good machine on steep slopes.Ron G

Alaska Dan
11-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes, that is the pic. I was told it is an "E" model with an International engine.

It's true about things being more expensive here. And there isn't much to choose from in the used dozer market. Dozer work pays $100 an hour here and the small dozers are in high demand.

I thought about making a trip to the Northwest because there are a lot for sale in the Seattle - Tacoma area. But by the time you add the cost of shipping and travel expenses it's pretty much a wash.

When considering price I look at it in terms of earning potential. For example, the next best choice I had was a late 80's D3C with 6500 hours and new paint from a rental company. They wanted a couple thousand more than I paid for mine. It had a good U/C but with over 5000 hours difference between the two machines that's a $500,000 advantage in earning potential for the 8, assuming everything else to be equal. But if a 1980 dozer is a negative lets half that figure to $250,000. Still too optomistic? Half it again to $125,000.

swampdog
11-14-2009, 07:54 PM
From the description and the picture, it looks great! You are better off paying two or three times as much for a machine in good condition. Repair bills can soon make an inexpensive worn out machine very expensive, far more expensive than what you are paying.

Things can go bad from just sitting, so be sure to check it out well. And change coolant, oils, and filters if they haven't been changed for a long time.

Alaska Dan
11-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks Swampdog,

I'll do that. The owner is known for taking care of his equipment. It was used, at least a little, each year to keep things stirred up.

I agree about the price. It seems like it's easy to become penny wise and dollar foolish when buying a dozer. I feel good about my purchase.

John C.
11-15-2009, 02:10 PM
That is a very nice looking machine and I'm sure you made the right choice.

The International engine was a very good one that with a little care lasted as well and any other of the era. If something does go wrong with it down the road a Cummins can be dropped in with a retrofit kit.

I don't remember any problems with the undercarriages and we had none of the problems in the steering gear that the newer machines had.

I also like your approach to the purchase process. So many times I hear about nothing but price. When I ask about future income I usually only get blank stares.

Good Luck!

Alaska Dan
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
That is a very nice looking machine and I'm sure you made the right choice.

The International engine was a very good one that with a little care lasted as well and any other of the era. If something does go wrong with it down the road a Cummins can be dropped in with a retrofit kit.

I don't remember any problems with the undercarriages and we had none of the problems in the steering gear that the newer machines had.

I also like your approach to the purchase process. So many times I hear about nothing but price. When I ask about future income I usually only get blank stares.

Good Luck!

Hey John,

Thanks for your reply! Since I value your opinion more than anyone else on here I appreciate that. And I know what you mean about the blank stare. It reminds me of that saying; "The most uncommon thing in the world is common sense".

When someone says I paid too much for a one owner machine with only 1348 hours they're not seeing the big picture. I've had old equipment with high hours and, as you know, it can be frustrating and expensive. So low hours and good condition are important to me.

I figure if I maintain her well and put on 300 hours a year with major repairs expected at around 10,000 hours, I'll have about 28 years of use. Of course the undercarriage will be upgraded during that time but still that works for me. And from what I've seen on line I couldn't buy this dozer in the lower 48 and have it shipped for this price. We're a tight community up here and I know the hours are correct. I found one in Texas reported to have 2250 hours but after talking to him further he said they guy he bought it from had just replaced the hours meter because it broke. So I feel very fortunate.

Take care,

Dan

John C.
11-15-2009, 05:58 PM
I appreciate the good comment.

Good Luck!

dumbwithnewdoze
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I am trying to find more out about a TD8G

Alaska Dan
12-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I am trying to find more out about a TD8G

I ordered manuals from Modern Machinery at 1-800-292-0925. Ask for Joe and tell him that I referred you. He is very knowledgeable and can look up info for you.

Good Luck!

Dan

tripper_174
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I think you made a great purchase. I'm not sure how remotely you are located but one thing for sure, you won't need any computer geek sorting out problems you have on that tractor. Another nice thing about IHC machines is that you don't need any special tools to repair them. I'd happily pay a premium price for a cream puff machine particularly given your location. Congratulations on your purchase!

squidrig
12-11-2009, 06:42 PM
cut my teeth on a td8 looks kinda pushie lol

Txwelldigger1
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I just bought a TD8 that needed an engine rebuild due to a spun main bearing. I only paid $1500 for the machine but the rebuild costs were THROUGH THE ROOF!! The mechanic that did the job went over twice the original quote! The engine starts and runs great now but the transmission leaks a lot of hyd fluid.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum because I'm new to this and I have a lot of questions about this piece of equipment. I don't even have a service manual for it and cant seem to find one. Furthermore I'm not sure if its a TD8C or TD8E. I think its the E but I'm not sure what the difference is. I think the diesel engine is made by IH.
The reason I need a service manual is obviously to find and repair the hydraulic leaks under the tranny but also because the tranny oil level got low enough that the main track brake pedal lost functionality. The right side track brake also stopped working but will engage when the machine is on an incline. I topped off the transmission oil but still no workie. I was told that the transmission oil pressure feeds the brakes. The clutch pressure gauge has never dropped below normal operating level not even when the oil was low. Like I said I'm new at this but I would have to guess that there's some air in the brake line but I don't know how or where to bleed it. Also don't understand why the left side track brake lever still works.

Any reply with any information about IH TD8 Dozers will be welcomed. I'm struggling to turn this money pit project into something profitable or at least break even.

JimInOz
03-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Here's some TD8 & BTD8 pictures.

Alaska Dan,
How is your dozer going? Those 8s were a well-liked machine.

d9gdon
03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
txwelldigger,

I can usually find the manuals I need on ebay, have you looked there? A service manual is what you need. I'd look for an operator's manual and a parts book as well.

TD-5
04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Try Binder books for manuals: they specialize in IH manuals and show a complete line for the TD-8 C & E models on their Web site:

http://www.binderbooks.com/

rooster
04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I have a '93 model TD 8G. Mine was slipping the right side steering brake also. Hope this is not same problem but my brake & steering pads were worn out. The parts were hard to come by in my area not to mention expensive. Total was about $5000.00 with labor at a dealership. Pull inspection cover on back of tranny, you can check , may be something out of adjustment.