PDA

View Full Version : Wrecker call

td25c
06-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I got a call this afternoon from a local farmer that had his combine stuck .I told him to take a break and I would be there in about 20 minutes with the gmc wrecker.They had a tractor at the job and I used it as a "deadman".We have had alot of rain lately and the fields have some soft spots.It came out pretty easy.

willie59
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
That's cool 25c, that GMC is sweet! Is that a 4 part line you got rigged up there?

td25c
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
That's cool 25c, that GMC is sweet! Is that a 4 part line you got rigged up there?

Yep, I rigged it for a 4 part line.3 parts to the gmc and one line to the case-IH tractor.I have two drums on the 750 holmes wrecker bed.I rigg one one for a high pull off the boom and the other for a low pull off the bed.ATCOEQUIP,you would enjoy running a 750 holmes wrecker bed.

willie59
06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Yep, I rigged it for a 4 part line.3 parts to the gmc and one line to the case-IH tractor.I have two drums on the 750 holmes wrecker bed.I rigg one one for a high pull off the boom and the other for a low pull off the bed.ATCOEQUIP,you would enjoy running a 750 holmes wrecker bed.

LoL, I almost asked if that was the old Holmes 750! I've heard many bent sheet metal draggers say that the 750 was one of the best tow's ever built. ;)

CAT D9H
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice recovery , Them 750 Holmes are awesome , talk about pulling a cable in half!! I was around one that would pull so hard it would stall the engine on the truck aswell as pick the front end about 6 feet off the ground

King of Obsolete
06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
good recovery, combines are very hard to pull out because there is nothing to pull on i hear. good thinking on using many lines, working smarter not harder.

ok, you guys are combining and we still have ice on some of the lakes and i'm sitting in the KINGDOM with the heaters on, LOL

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
06-26-2009, 08:45 PM
ATCOEQUIP,your correct.The 750 holmes set the standard in heavy duty towing and recovery.Holmes did offer an 850 and I almost bought one last year but I backed away because they are rare and new parts are not available.Holmes also built a truck crane designed for railroad work.CAT D9H,The 750's are awesome for sure.They will snap the mainline before anything else breaks.King of Obsolete,Your correct.I use caution when pulling on combines.This one had a heavy subframe in the rear that I rigged off of.I put some pull on it then let the farmer work the hydrostat tranny in reverse easing it out of the mud.It was 93 degrees in the wheat field that afternoon and the humidity was high,and I was ready for a cold barley soda after the job.Thanks for the comments guys.

King of Obsolete
06-26-2009, 09:05 PM
well that would be too hot for me to be out there. the fellow would have to wait until it cooled down before i could do any work, LOL.

glad you took your time and did no damage to the combine.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
06-26-2009, 09:13 PM
The wrecker jobs are similiar to the crane jobs ,I carry alot of rigging on the truck.Cribbing,chain,snach blocks,nylon straps,and so on.Here are a few pics of the truck and winches.

td25c
06-26-2009, 09:29 PM
well that would be too hot for me to be out there. the fellow would have to wait until it cooled down before i could do any work, LOL.

glad you took your time and did no damage to the combine.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

I agree with you King.I dont have air conditioning in the gmc and the hot humid wheather takes its toll on me pulling cable ,& hauling out 5/8 inch chain and snach blocks on a recovery job.

King of Obsolete
06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
yes it looks like you have the wrecker set up pretty good. i think we haul that much rigging around on the SCREAMING FORD. then when it snow it is like and easter egg hunt to find everything under the snow.

i'll take 40 below any day over your hot temps. i don't know how you guys can live in the heat, LOL.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
06-26-2009, 09:59 PM
yes it looks like you have the wrecker set up pretty good. i think we haul that much rigging around on the SCREAMING FORD. then when it snow it is like and easter egg hunt to find everything under the snow.

i'll take 40 below any day over your hot temps. i don't know how you guys can live in the heat, LOL.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

We keep the gmc under roof most of the time and I know what you mean about the easter egg hunt after a snow. In Indiana we can see 100 degree wheather in the summer and 20 below in a hard winter.I wish it would stay about 65 or 75 degrees year around ,but it wont.

King of Obsolete
06-26-2009, 10:30 PM
good thinking on "under a roof". did you upgrade the cables??? i like the the no cable clamps on your lines. buddy barry is the same way and we haul the cables 600 kms round trip to have them done right.

also what is the miller welder like to start when it is cold out side???or if it is so cold the welder won't start you don't work???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM
King of Obsolete,no upgrade on the cables they came that way from the factory.My starbord side drum has cable clamps on it as the previous owner broke the cable and repiared it with cable clamps.The miller welder starts fine in hot or cold weather.I use it often on jobs.

King of Obsolete
06-26-2009, 11:15 PM
very good set up you have there. i had a couple of millers and they were fun to start at -40C but then again i don't think i would start either at that temperature.

i have really good luck with lincolns but since i'm colour blind so it really doesn't matter the colour, LOL

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Dualie
06-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Personally i hate to see the cable clamps on a winch line but thats my own personal peeve.

Those old Holmes units were BEASTS! You really had to KNOW what you were doing when operating them as they wouldn't stop winching till the truck was on its roof or the rigging broke.

And rigging failures are NO JOKE! they can, do and Have killed people.

Those old Holmes were the rotators of their day. Splitting the booms and anchoring off the side is a slowly dieing art.

About a million years ago (it seems) i bought a GMC general with a 8V92 425 15sd+ 4spd aux power tower, 20K steer 46K locking rears, double framed from the back of the cab to the tail board. IT had a Holmes 850 mounted to the back. WHAT A WINCHING BEAST!!! with the full locking rear ends and the tall rubber that thing would walk anywhere it needed to go.

That thing was a hoss! with a ton of different anchoring options full winch brakes, A 6x6 between the tandems, scotch blocks with 3/4" chain tieing them off, winching spades you need a combo of all of them to keep the truck put. it had a bumper made from several pieces of 1" plate and with the big 425R22.5's on the front it scaled out at 16,500 Lbs empty on the front end.

And if all the above didnt work it was time for dead man anchors. I don't think i ever took the snatch blocks out of the line for the simple fear of over powering the cable and snapping it with a single line. some days i miss that beast but i think my hearing is much better off without it. It ended up somewhere in south America.

td25c
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
King of Obsolete,My miller "trailblazer 250" on the wrecker is 17 years old and still works fine but I have been thinking about upgrading it.I might buy a lincoln gas drive this time.I always thought lincoln made a good product.My miller has the onan engine in it.I dont know what engine the new welders use.

td25c
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Dualie,The gmc general with the holmes 850 is a winching beast for sure.I spoke to a man that worked for holmes and he told me that holmes only made 400 850 beds from the mid 1950's to the early 1980's and 100 of them were shipped overseas from the holmes factory to work in oil fields.I had 6"x6" cribbing behind my scotch blocks when I pulled the combine out.They help in soft ground.That sound's like a neet truck you had.One thing about the 850 bed is it had power booms so you could raise or lower the boom under load.They were the king dog in there day.

King of Obsolete
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
yes i had a trailblazer too and that was 15 years ago. i didn't like the onan engine up here in the great white north. the lincoln has the kolher and had really good luck with "both" of my welders. my second welder is in my welding sleigh, yes welding sleigh not truck, LOL

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I was discussing cell phone use in the cab with some membors in the general industry section yesterday.Well ,my cell phone rang this afternoon while I was operating the excavator .I stoped working and answerd it,Another wrecker call.A farmer was having trouble with his sprayer rig.So I shut the excavator down and went home to get the gmc wrecker .The sprayer rig had broken the bolts on the left front leg.It was on a hillside and the tanks were full so I had to use some cribbing to level up the wrecker.

td25c
07-03-2009, 08:36 PM
We installed new bolts and had the rig fixed in about 3 hours from the first call on the cell phone.Dang,these cell phone's are handy.

willie59
07-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Dang,these cell phone's are handy.

Ha ha, so is a Holmes 750! Sweet job 25c, excellent pics. The cell phone is a modern day time saver. In the old school days, farmer would have had to call your office, then they'd contact you...somehow. You'd got there eventually. The cell phone is a modern tool that allows all this to happen more quickly. On the other hand, not many modern wreckers can do what the old 750 can. Ya ain't gonna make a side boom lift with a modern tail dragger. Long live the old GMC with the 750! :notworthy

CAT D9H
07-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice call again , I like how you mave that air hose reel mounted on the bed like that

Not to hijack your post but heres my Holmes : Only mine is 1:24 scale

King of Obsolete
07-03-2009, 09:41 PM
that farmer is very lucky because serious damage could have been done. also cameras do not show anything to do with height and angles. good job and i see you had everything you need on the truck.

ok, in the great white north we don't have cell phones only land lines and the cafe table of truth. a week ago, "they" burnt the phone tower down and we have no phones. i have my own internet dish that i'm using to order parts and chase things down. the amount of gas i'm using in the vehicle to run here and there and to rely mesaages is unreal.
when i travel south i have a pay as you go cell phone which is great. only talk when you need it. to BS with a buddy i use the land line when i get to my parents house. cell phones and communication is great as long as it is used as a business. but when someone is phoning 10 times a day just to see what you are doing then it is for the teenagers.

link me to the cell phone thread, please.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

td25c
07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Ha ha, so is a Holmes 750! Sweet job 25c, excellent pics. The cell phone is a modern day time saver. In the old school days, farmer would have had to call your office, then they'd contact you...somehow. You'd got there eventually. The cell phone is a modern tool that allows all this to happen more quickly. On the other hand, not many modern wreckers can do what the old 750 can. Ya ain't gonna make a side boom lift with a modern tail dragger. Long live the old GMC with the 750! :notworthy

I was talking to the farmer today and he said the sprayer rig was a 1998 model and it was outdated and needed to be replaced.Then I thought about my 1974 gmc wrecker and it seems to be working fine.Hard to beet the old iron.

td25c
07-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Nice call again , I like how you mave that air hose reel mounted on the bed like that

Not to hijack your post but heres my Holmes : Only mine is 1:24 scale

Thats a nice looking B model mack wrecker CAT D9H.The air hose comes in handy when operating air tools.

td25c
07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
that farmer is very lucky because serious damage could have been done. also cameras do not show anything to do with height and angles. good job and i see you had everything you need on the truck.

ok, in the great white north we don't have cell phones only land lines and the cafe table of truth. a week ago, "they" burnt the phone tower down and we have no phones. i have my own internet dish that i'm using to order parts and chase things down. the amount of gas i'm using in the vehicle to run here and there and to rely mesaages is unreal.
when i travel south i have a pay as you go cell phone which is great. only talk when you need it. to BS with a buddy i use the land line when i get to my parents house. cell phones and communication is great as long as it is used as a business. but when someone is phoning 10 times a day just to see what you are doing then it is for the teenagers.

link me to the cell phone thread, please.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

King,you must have read my mind,the farmer kept telling me all afternoon how lucky he was this time.It could have ended up alot worse.If it had broken the lower leg on the spray rig it could have turned over on its side,or it could have happend on a busy highway.I would much rather deal with it in the corn field than on the highway .Here is a pic of the sheetmetal gouging in to the plastic tank.We were lucky it did not rip it open.Thanks for the comments King and I hope you get your phone service back soon.The cell phone thread is titled "cell phones in the cab" under the general industry questions section .I would link you to it but I dont know how to do that.

Dug Overburden
07-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey 25c, I have a soft spot for the old GMC's. Looks like an old Navy tow truck? I noticed it has a butterfly hood, is it an 80 series? What drivetrain does it have? Any pictures of the interor?

Dug

td25c
07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Dug Overburden,I am the same way about the old gmc trucks.You are close on your guess,it is an ex-army wrecker.You can always tell the holmes military beds by the square corners that give them a "boxey" look.Butterfly hood works great for adding a heavy pipe bumper on the front.The truck is a 1974 gmc 7500 powerd by a 6-V 53 detriot,tranny is a rt610 10 speed,rears are 34,000lb eatons 5.57 ratio.50 mph is top speed.It also has the factory triple frame section that runs from the wrecker mast to the tailboard.I like it's short wheelbase for off road jobs,It has some toolbox space under the welder&torch.I need more toolbox space.here are a few more pics Dug.

willie59
07-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Wow that's sweet!

RT610 tranny...one of the smoothest shiftin' transmissions made. :cool:

Yep, that's a 6V53 noisemaker. :D

I love the wrench that tightens/loosens the torch tank clamp. No chance loosing that wrench...just make sure you don't loose the bolt! :bouncegri

td25c
07-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Thats a big 10-4 ATCOEQUIP,the rt610 is a smooth shifter.About the wrench,I got tired of grabing in the tool box for 3 wrenches every time I changed the tanks.So I made one that would do it all.

willie59
07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
About the wrench,I got tired of grabing in the tool box for 3 wrenches every time I changed the tanks.So I made one that would do it all.

I think it's brilliant! :notworthy

RonG
07-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Is that a Hurst "T" handle on the shift lever?Ron G

td25c
07-05-2009, 04:23 PM
RonG,Its not a hurst "T" handel but it looks and feels like one .Its a piece of 1" round stock that is threaded in the center.

busdrivernine
07-05-2009, 05:39 PM
1974 now that was when trucks was a real mans truck made out of METAL!!!! NOT THE PLASTIC CRAP OF TODAYS standards

td25c
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
1974 now that was when trucks was a real mans truck made out of METAL!!!! NOT THE PLASTIC CRAP OF TODAYS standards

I agree busdrivernine.I like the trucks of the 1950's,60's&70's.I have a 1984 kenworth w-900 wrecker with the 750 holmes bed on it.I like it to,but not as much as the older trucks that were surrounded by steel.

RonG
07-06-2009, 06:09 AM
RonG,Its not a hurst "T" handel but it looks and feels like one .Its a piece of 1" round stock that is threaded in the center.

I have one of those "T" handles in its original package that I scrounged off of my BILs '68 GTX before it got traded for that Hemi RR back in '71.
I am working on a camera that needs a special wrench so I turned one on my lathe the other day.I ended up using 1/2" black iron pipe for stock as the inside diameter was close enough to what I needed but it was to make a spanner wrench to disassemble a Voigtlander Bessamatic camera.
I like making "one off" items for my needs when I can,your "T" handle has to work at least as good as the Hurst jobby did!Ron G

td25c
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I have one of those "T" handles in its original package that I scrounged off of my BILs '68 GTX before it got traded for that Hemi RR back in '71.
I am working on a camera that needs a special wrench so I turned one on my lathe the other day.I ended up using 1/2" black iron pipe for stock as the inside diameter was close enough to what I needed but it was to make a spanner wrench to disassemble a Voigtlander Bessamatic camera.
I like making "one off" items for my needs when I can,your "T" handle has to work at least as good as the Hurst jobby did!Ron G

Thats neet RonG.You can do alot with a metal lathe.My "T" handel works great.Just dont get me started talking about MOPAR'S.GTX,Roadrunner,Superbee,charger,pistol grip shifters,Hemi engines and so on.Or We will be talking all night.

willie59
07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Thats neet RonG.You can do alot with a metal lathe.My "T" handel works great.Just dont get me started talking about MOPAR'S.GTX,Roadrunner,Superbee,charger,pistol grip shifters,Hemi engines and so on.Or We will be talking all night.

Sorry 25c...can't help myself, had a buddy in high school had a Roadrunner with a Hemi...we called it the Thunder Chicken! That thing would scoot. :D

gat-zke
07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
thats pretty cool

EZ TRBO
07-07-2009, 06:32 PM
awesome pics, great pulls and a very nice well taken care of old truck. Still getting the job done, and will be longer than this new stuff.

Trbo

td25c
07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
ATCOEQUIP,We will have to start a new thread ,and talk about " thunder chicken" and Mopars.I'l post a pic of my old Mopar.gat-zke,EZ TRBO,& ATCOEQUIP,Thanks for the comments on the truck.It comes In handy at times.Sometimes I feel like the guy that everyone hates to call but they are always happy to hear the detroit diesel screaming down the road to the recovery.One thing I like about the old mechanical wreckers is you can let the truck idle while winching so I can listen to the cable wrap on the drum.You can tell alot about how hard its pulling by the sound of the cable as it is wrapping up on the drum.I guess wreckers & guitars have something in common,the tighter the string ,the higher the pitch.They both make good music.

willie59
07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Sometimes I feel like the guy that everyone hates to call but they are always happy to hear the detroit diesel screaming down the road to the recovery.

LoL, I had already thought of that! How many times you have received the call and some driver or farmer is standing out there watching to see that "yellar thang" bearing down the road. You ought to hand letter "I'm on the way!" on the front bumper. :D

td25c
07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
My cell phone rang again this morning.The spray rig that I repaired the broken leg on two weeks ago started having fuel trouble .It has a left & right side fuel tank and a electric selector valve for each tank.It had quit drawing out of the left side tank and the farmer installed a new selector valve but it did not fix the problem.After looking close at the suction lines around the valve I noticed a small kink in the left side suction hose so I unhooked the hose from the valve and drop tube at the fuel tank and put some air pressure though it and blew out a piece of silicone that had lodged in the kink.I rerouted the hose and sliped a short piece of garden hose over the fuel line to keep it from kinking again.

td25c
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Here is what came out of the fuel line.

td25c
08-08-2009, 09:06 PM
We were setting concrete forms at a job site yesterday and my cell phone rang .The farmer had hit a hole in the field and broke a gusset bracket on the right front wheel.I told him we will be there to repair it this morning.This let the tire get in to the strut at the top so it scuffed up the inner sidewall abit.I torched out & beveled the crack then after we got the wheel pulled back in position I laid down some 6011&7018 electric glue with the miller welder.I used both drums on the 750 holmes this time and all the cribbing I had on the truck.I lifted the bent wheel with the port side boom to install a jack stand under the wheel hub frame,then I rigged The starboard side drum up for a side pull off the port side to straighten the wheel.

td25c
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
We used all of our cribbing and most of my snach blocks on the repair.At least we had a shady spot to work under .

King of Obsolete
08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
that was the perfect place for him to break down, nice and flat and in the shade, LOL

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Wolf
08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
that was the perfect place for him to break down, nice and flat and in the shade, LOL

thansk
KoO
Published Author
and surrounded by pretty nice scenery too..

King of Obsolete
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
i would have packed a lunch and really enjoyed the day in the forest welding up a broken thingy, LOL.

most likely it was too hot because there was no breeze and the bugs were bad. kill one and thousand show up at the funeral, LOL

once again 25c does an excellent job.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

willie59
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm getting the feeling that GMC/750 Holmes might as well be an ambulance in his area. Has to be sitting there, full of fuel, loaded with work material, and ready to go. :D

Nice work and nice pics 25C!

OCR
08-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Nice rigging job, 25c... :thumbsup

OCR

td25c
08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the comments King,Wolf,ATCOEQUIP,&OCR.After viewing the pictures of the job ,It does look like we were in a woodland paradise .We were setting in a power line right-of-way that the farmer uses to get to the field.Dad did set up some folding lawn chairs so he and the farmer could talk about the economy and tell me how to fix the spray rigg.Its always good to have critics at the jobsite.Always listen to your critics as they will tell you all your faults.The repair went well and we got it done in about 3 hours.One thing I like about the old Holmes wrecker beds is that you can set up and pull from any direction with some snach blocks.Ernest Holmes built a nice wrecker bed.

willie59
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Ernest Holmes built a nice wrecker bed.

And I think he designed it for "towing and recovery". You, sir, find a way to utilize every capability the rig has. Even with spectators in folding chairs present. :D

ScottAR
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I've REALLY enjoyed this thread and hope it continues...

Just FYI, someone with a hot wallet needs to scoop up the
8x8 IH with 850 holmes on Ebay. #190330088899

Protect your keyboard from drool.

DigDug
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Cool. Heres the link so no one has to work at it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=190330088899&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D19033008889 9%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

willie59
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow that's cool! I'll bet 25c could put that puppy to use. :D

td25c
09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
That is a nice looking wrecker DigDug.I like the Holmes 850 bed teamed up whith the IH twinn steer truck.

MOUNTAIN MAN
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Nice work there 25c, I'll get some pictures of a Holmes wrecker I know of, I believe it's bigger and it's mountaed on another classic truck, a White-Western Star, I'll get some pictures this spring and post them on this thread, if that's alright with you :D

Rob R
08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Was it the 850's or 750's that had the big handles up by the winch on the deck?

ScottAR
08-14-2012, 12:59 AM
This thread is in desperate need of updating.... That's a hint TD25C. :o

froggy
09-01-2012, 11:37 PM
i pull'd an old 300-ton barge out of the Los Angeles harbor in the late 90's with two PETE-70-ton B&B wrecker's, use'd telephone pole's as roller's, fishing the truck's in the air, no pic's-never imagin'd anybody would care.