• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 217 1996 Model Not starting unless solenoid is jumped.

Terexdude

Hello,

I have a 1996 JCB Backhoe i have been struggling with for a week. When you turn the key the machine does not turn over it only starts if I jump solenoid wire (842) going to the starter. I have replaced the Drive/Neutral/Reverse stalk and it does work fine. I'm not sure what else i can look at, I'm not very experienced with these machines.

To reiterate the ignition switch is not turning the machine on, i have to manually jump the solenoid. Starter is new, Shift stalk is new, Ignition is new.

Terexdude

I have a picture of the wiring diagram but I don't really understand what I'm looking at. I'm not sure how to read this. Can someone break this down for me a bit? To get the machine to start I'm energizing wire 842 with 12v. Wire 842 is in-between starter solenoid and ignition switch on a relay.
1000008048.jpg

Terexdude

So if I'm reading this correctly it looks like the Neutral Start Relay (110) is energized by the Forward/ Rev Switch (62) which seems to be also tied into the Park brake relay (115).

Does this mean the machine would not start unless the Park brake is engaged and the Forward/ Rev switch is in neutral?

If so how would I test this? I have the machine in Neutral and I also have the Park brake engaged. Maybe I should test both relays.

Terexdude

Not sure if this helps but I used my relay jumper on the Neutral Start Relay and I'm getting ground on pins 86 and pins 85. When I turn the key Into the start position I get 12v at pin 30. To Jumpstart the machine I apply 12V to pin 87.
1000008051.jpg

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Is it a safety switch problem or do you just need to fix your starter solenoid?